Cockroaches drummed out of schools

Cockroaches drummed out of schools

There are 21 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from May 26, 2008, titled Cockroaches drummed out of schools. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

After 24 Hour News 8 found cockroaches at Lincoln School in February, the district called an outside pest manager.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Obama

Portland, OR

#1 May 26, 2008
typical public school - I am glad I don't send my own kids to public schools

RCE

“RCE”

Since: Jun 07

Grand Rapids

#2 May 26, 2008
Obama wrote:
Oh good grief. Get over yourself.

“Information doesn't kill you.”

Since: Apr 08

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 May 26, 2008
Obama wrote:
As far from 'typical' as you can get. It is a Center based Special education school servicing approximately 200 students from roughly 17 different school districts throughout Kent County.
Teacher

Denver, CO

#4 May 26, 2008
Roaches, mice, ants, etc are even in the private schools. So for all people who don't think these insects and rodents aren't in private schools need a serious dose of reality.
Obama

Portland, OR

#5 May 26, 2008
Teacher wrote:
Roaches, mice, ants, etc are even in the private schools. So for all people who don't think these insects and rodents aren't in private schools need a serious dose of reality.
Not at my kids' private school. I pay big money to send my kids to private school so that they don't have to go to public school with the rest of the kids in Chicago. But I am all in favor of public schools - for everyone else's kids, that is.
and so

Boyne City, MI

#7 May 26, 2008
how did "24 hour news 8 FIND cockroaches at Lincoln
School?" It's a good thing you guys uncovered this. It is kindof like you are saving the world one story at a time... phew!
Mike

Nashville, TN

#8 May 26, 2008
Obama wrote:
Wrong.. I went to a private school and it was just as worse
jjcinmi

Watertown, WI

#9 May 26, 2008
"Not at my kids' private school. I pay big money to send my kids to private school so that they don't have to go to public school with the rest of the kids in Chicago. But I am all in favor of public schools - for everyone else's kids, that is."

And I bet you think your fancy private school doesn't have drugs/sex/alcohol either??? Keep dreaming!!! The only thing different for the private vs public schools is that you pay to send your kids. I sent my kids to a private school for years and realized that they weren't benefiting from it and in fact I think the education was worse than what they are getting now!
Obama

Portland, OR

#11 May 26, 2008
JMG wrote:
Rockford has an awesome education system.
No, what Rockford has is a bunch of taxpayer-funded exorbitant athletic facilities and vastly overpaid administrators, with a couple of classrooms attached to it.
Cockroaches

AOL

#12 May 26, 2008
Cockroaches can be harmful. They can carry diseases.
topps

Arvada, CO

#13 May 26, 2008
Cockroaches wrote:
Cockroaches can be harmful. They can carry diseases.
So can the previous hotshot from Phoenix Az.
reality check

Allendale, MI

#15 May 27, 2008
come on... peoples own homes can have a mouse or two in their lifetime. its not that huge of a deal!
Contractor

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 May 27, 2008
As an independant contractor, I have noticed a trend in Michigan over the last decade or so.

My first encounter with a cockroach was at an apartment complex where I lived over neer 28th street and byron center road, where I was staying while I went to college in the 1980's. The little bugger climed out of the bathroom tub drain and I freaked. The landlord said "every body gets them" yet we never had them where I grew up.

When I began contracting in the later part of the 1980's, it seemed the people that had them the most were the ones who were the ones who did not keep a clean house - that is, those who allowed food particles to be left out all over the place. That at one other place. Places where migrant workers lived were known to be infested a lot.
So the joke was, it was their national animal that they brought with them.

Over the last decade as the number of illegal immigrants have increased, I have seen an ever increasing number of infestations. All it takes is a few egg sacks full of those little critters to be transported to a new location. Then you can have a serious problem.

I do think the increase in the number of reported infestations in our state and in our city is directly related to the increased number of illegals that have come from south of the border.

These bugs are just taking advantage of their surroundings. Just like the zebra mussle problem was the result of being transported into our area, so it is with the cockroach.

Get rid of the illegals, and work on destroying the infestations that now exist and maybe we can get a handle on these things.

No one wants to be in an area that is infested with cockroaches. Well, most people don't, that is.
chickie

Lansing, MI

#18 May 27, 2008
I don't think it is migrants that are the problem contractor...I think the problem is that people are not taught to keep a clean house. That is something that bothers me... please, any dirty house keepers out there answer this question for me...

Why do you think it is ok to live in filth and squaller??? It is discusting! and to my neighbors...you are ruining our street with all your trash. It cost $30 every other month for trash service...so quit burning it and letting your dogs destroy the bags you were to lazy to put out of the way!( I feel better!) and yes, if I didn't think it was as offensive as the trash laying around, I would pay for their trash service!

Anyone you know live like this??? Lets talk!
hmmmmm

Littleton, CO

#19 May 27, 2008
Contractor wrote:
As an independant contractor, I have noticed a trend in Michigan over the last decade or so.
My first encounter with a cockroach was at an apartment complex where I lived over neer 28th street and byron center road, where I was staying while I went to college in the 1980's. The little bugger climed out of the bathroom tub drain and I freaked. The landlord said "every body gets them" yet we never had them where I grew up.
When I began contracting in the later part of the 1980's, it seemed the people that had them the most were the ones who were the ones who did not keep a clean house - that is, those who allowed food particles to be left out all over the place. That at one other place. Places where migrant workers lived were known to be infested a lot.
So the joke was, it was their national animal that they brought with them.
Over the last decade as the number of illegal immigrants have increased, I have seen an ever increasing number of infestations. All it takes is a few egg sacks full of those little critters to be transported to a new location. Then you can have a serious problem.
I do think the increase in the number of reported infestations in our state and in our city is directly related to the increased number of illegals that have come from south of the border.
These bugs are just taking advantage of their surroundings. Just like the zebra mussle problem was the result of being transported into our area, so it is with the cockroach.
Get rid of the illegals, and work on destroying the infestations that now exist and maybe we can get a handle on these things.
No one wants to be in an area that is infested with cockroaches. Well, most people don't, that is.
i think your illegal family forgot the suitcase with your brains in it.
Hans Brinker

Deerfield, IL

#20 May 27, 2008
chickie wrote:
I don't think it is migrants that are the problem contractor...I think the problem is that people are not taught to keep a clean house. That is something that bothers me... please, any dirty house keepers out there answer this question for me...
Why do you think it is ok to live in filth and squaller??? It is discusting! and to my neighbors...you are ruining our street with all your trash. It cost $30 every other month for trash

service...so quit burning it and letting your dogs destroy the bags you were to lazy to put out of the way!( I feel better!) and yes, if I didn't think it was as offensive as the trash laying around, I would pay for their trash service!
Love your neighbor as yourself. I'm your neighbor. You don't like my trash - feel free to pick it up.
chickie

Lansing, MI

#21 May 27, 2008
That makes sense...they are very nice people...but you being dirty, never answered my question...WHY? Why should I invest what little money I have into mowing my grass and planting a few flowers. I take pride in what I own...but why does one person have to ruin it for the whole bunch...And it's not like we live in a ran down neighborhood. We live on a private road. 6 houses total. 5 nice...1, not so much! WHY?
A name

AOL

#23 May 28, 2008
jjcinmi wrote:
"Not at my kids' private school. I pay big money to send my kids to private school so that they don't have to go to public school with the rest of the kids in Chicago. But I am all in favor of public schools - for everyone else's kids, that is."
And I bet you think your fancy private school doesn't have drugs/sex/alcohol either??? Keep dreaming!!! The only thing different for the private vs public schools is that you pay to send your kids. I sent my kids to a private school for years and realized that they weren't benefiting from it and in fact I think the education was worse than what they are getting now!
I don't think its a matter of where you send your kids for an education. Cockroaches are insects and can carry diseases. You can get those in your homes also. Less likely though on that. However, it is nice you send your kids to a PRIVATE School!!
A name

AOL

#24 May 28, 2008
Typical White Person wrote:
Lincoln serves far more than just the GRPS district. They provide a continuum of services for a number of great children. Hopefully, they can get ahead of this bump in the road and get back to providing the excellent education that they historically have.
Well said!!
A name

AOL

#25 May 28, 2008
chickie wrote:
Why do you think it is ok to live in filth and squaller??? It is discusting! and to my neighbors...you are ruining our street with all your trash. It cost $30 every other month for trash service...so quit burning it and letting your dogs destroy the bags you were to lazy to put out of the way!( I feel better!) and yes, if I didn't think it was as offensive as the trash laying around, I would pay for their trash service!
Agreed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truly Disturbing Racism and The Silence That Fo... Fri MrsMrs90 29
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Fri CZars_R_US 359
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Fri a commenter 1,147
News GE Aviation lops off 95 Grand Rapids jobs (Jun '08) Thu Great full GE Pro... 58
News Universal Forest Products closes five plants, p... (Jan '08) Jan 18 Madoff zionism 19
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jan 15 T-Man 2,823
News Donald Trump defends use of "sch****ed" against... (Dec '15) Jan 14 MrsMrs90 89

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages