“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#142 May 1, 2009
Bobbiez wrote:
Quite frankly, I don't see any reason why gay people shouldn't be allowed to be married. People talk about the "sanctity of marriage." Does that include abuse, divorce, child abuse, and other happy things. Many gays are fine couples, who are we to judge if they should get married or not. If God has a problem with it, let him take care of it. How dare any of us presume to speak for God. I think he can pretty much handle any issues he has on his own.
Excellent post.

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Since: Apr 09

Grand Rapids

#143 May 4, 2009
Bobbiez wrote:
Quite frankly, I don't see any reason why gay people shouldn't be allowed to be married. People talk about the "sanctity of marriage." Does that include abuse, divorce, child abuse, and other happy things. Many gays are fine couples, who are we to judge if they should get married or not. If God has a problem with it, let him take care of it. How dare any of us presume to speak for God. I think he can pretty much handle any issues he has on his own.
All that is fine, except this isn't just about "sanctifying" a relationship. It's about receiving benefits that legally married couples enjoy. These benefits are payed for by tax dollars, which makes it everyones' business and has nothing to do with God or social issues.
Take away the cost to taxpayers and the only friction you'll receive is from the religious right. The problem is if you take away the benefits, most gay couples won't want to be "sanctified".

“Go Red Wings!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Plainfield Township MI

#144 May 4, 2009
Tango Kilo wrote:
<quoted text>
All that is fine, except this isn't just about "sanctifying" a relationship. It's about receiving benefits that legally married couples enjoy. These benefits are payed for by tax dollars, which makes it everyones' business and has nothing to do with God or social issues.
Take away the cost to taxpayers and the only friction you'll receive is from the religious right. The problem is if you take away the benefits, most gay couples won't want to be "sanctified".
Maybe if we take away the tax exempt status of churches, they wouldn't care so much, because that tax money could be used to help everyone, not just members of a particular church.

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Since: Apr 09

Grand Rapids

#145 May 4, 2009
Bobbiez wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if we take away the tax exempt status of churches, they wouldn't care so much, because that tax money could be used to help everyone, not just members of a particular church.
Just wait...that's on Obama's agenda. Before his term is up he will go after that exemption and probably sooner rather than later since he's meeting with a group of "experts" to revamp the entire tax situation.
Bunnee

United States

#146 May 4, 2009
Bobbiez wrote:
<quoted text>
This is about the dumbest statement I've read in a long time.

Since: Oct 08

Jackson, MI

#147 May 4, 2009
Bobbiez wrote:
<quoted text>
They can keep their tax exempt status .. take away the tax deduction from the taxpayers for contributions to religious organizations ...

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#148 May 4, 2009
River City Roller wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Please Arctic, I don't know how many years it is till you take a dirt nap, 2, 7 ,15, 50....but before you do, I pray you come to change your mind on this. Really, just think about it. It takes FAR more faith to believe God does NOT exsist, then it does to believe in His word...(i.e) your toliet paper. Never too late my man/lady........that is until that last breath leaves your body.
Please look up the definition of "faith" and reconsider your statement.
I'm talking about the common accepted dictionary based definition not the CRC definition.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#149 May 4, 2009
Bobbiez wrote:
Exactly, he does not need Joanne Voorhees' help.
Sandy

Lovington, NM

#150 May 4, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
<quoted text>
They can keep their tax exempt status .. take away the tax deduction from the taxpayers for contributions to religious organizations ...
Only if you lose the one for your donations to other charities and political parties. Wait, you don't donate to charity do you???
Craig Conklin

United States

#151 May 5, 2009
Jenny wrote:
Now Miss California is going on campaign against Gay Marriage...Cause I guess she is an expert on moral values in this country. lol
Some day were all going look back at this stuff feel ashamed of how bad we treated the Gay community.
The people that write bizarre comments in topics won't because most of them will have passed away from advanced age.
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#152 May 6, 2009
I'ld like to know why a minority of our population is trying very hard to force the majority of our population to accept and condone unnatural, abnormal, and what most of us consider to be perverse sexual behavior. I don't wish to persecute the gay community; I just don't want that lifestyle anywhere around me or my family. If you push me, I will push back. By the way, I also do not believe that a marriage can be anything other than between one man and one woman. Also, don't condemn me for exercising my 1st amandment rights.
eric

United States

#153 May 6, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
I'ld like to know why a minority of our population is trying very hard to force the majority of our population to accept and condone unnatural, abnormal, and what most of us consider to be perverse sexual behavior. I don't wish to persecute the gay community; I just don't want that lifestyle anywhere around me or my family. If you push me, I will push back. By the way, I also do not believe that a marriage can be anything other than between one man and one woman. Also, don't condemn me for exercising my 1st amandment rights.
Are you saying no one has a 1st amendment right to disagree with you?
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#154 May 6, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying no one has a 1st amendment right to disagree with you?
I said "don't CONDEMN me". Go ahead and disagree if you want.
eric

Denver, CO

#155 May 6, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "don't CONDEMN me". Go ahead and disagree if you want.
I won't. My opinion is that you do not deserve the right to marry.
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#156 May 6, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't. My opinion is that you do not deserve the right to marry.
Ok.........Why?

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#157 May 6, 2009
Attraction to the same sex is a perversion of nature. Why not let them marry? They can not reproduce. It's like the freak shows at the carnivals. They have feelings too.
eric

Fairfield, CT

#158 May 6, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.........Why?
In America we have freedom, you know, the pursuit of happiness and all that. Gay people, whether you like it or not, are Americans and deserve to be happy and free. I believe your words are un-American and anti-Christian therefore, you do not deserve rights (like marriage).
so simple

Kalamazoo, MI

#159 May 6, 2009
people are born with a sexual preference. saying people choose to be gay is so ignorant. why would anyone choose to be in a group of people so discriminated against - and to be taunted, beaten, threatened?
When slaves were first given the right to marriage, their vows stated "until death or distance do you part". This was to make it okay for owners to sell/trade one spouse - and the sale/trade equaled divorce. Most are horrified to hear that part of history.
This is a simple civic issue. So long as homosexuals have all the responsibilies of citizenship (jury duty, taxes etc.etc.etc.), they are entitled to all the rights. If a tax break came with being homosexual to offset the denile of right to marry - ONLY THEN WOULD people "choose" to be homosexual... and you know who you are.. lol...
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#160 May 6, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
In America we have freedom, you know, the pursuit of happiness and all that. Gay people, whether you like it or not, are Americans and deserve to be happy and free. I believe your words are un-American and anti-Christian therefore, you do not deserve rights (like marriage).
1. It appears that you don't know the difference between condemning and disagreeing.

2. You also don't seem to know much about social norms.

3. It also appears that you have'nt read the Bible lately.

4. Considering that you just displayed an intolerant attitude about my views; why should I be tolerant about the desires and views of the homosexual and lesbian communities?
eric

Denver, CO

#161 May 6, 2009
Thewayiseeit wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It appears that you don't know the difference between condemning and disagreeing.
2. You also don't seem to know much about social norms.
3. It also appears that you have'nt read the Bible lately.
4. Considering that you just displayed an intolerant attitude about my views; why should I be tolerant about the desires and views of the homosexual and lesbian communities?
Doesn't feel good to be told you shouldn't have the right to be married, does it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 3 hr Dena 1,161
News Caught on tape: man beats dogs (Mar '08) 11 hr Go Blue Forever 156
are the protesters going to jump 11 hr RushFan666 51
Local News Women (Apr '09) 13 hr T-Man 2,839
Poll Any parents of children in jail forum (Jul '09) Feb 20 Carter 58
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) Feb 18 MUman 50
Texas Girl With a Great Plan (Sep '12) Feb 15 Gaxtell 74

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance