Picketers protest teen's treatment by cop

People upset about the treatment of a 16-year-old boy by a police officer protested in downtown Kalamazoo Friday morning. Full Story

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#223 Jun 21, 2008
Seriously wrote:
DID YOU PEOPLE SEE THE VIDEO!!!
The TEEN resisted....MOMENTUM put him into the wall, NOT the officer. Sue GRAVITY.
The kid has been in trouble before! I hope any lawsuits get thrown out of court. They've wasted enough of our tax dollars arresting this kid OVER and OVER again.
You're lucky YOU don't have special-needs children. This young man is emotionally ill and needs help. Throwing him into a wall is absolutely intolerable. I agree - the officer needs to be fired. I hope you never have kids with behavioral problems.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#224 Jun 21, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
I feel bad for the decent black people that are trying to make a difference in their community. Only YOU can influence the others to get rid of the thug, crap rap music that has invaded your society, encourage your youth to stop wearing their pants down to their knees, speak proper English, STOP having sex and babies at age 15 and expecting the government to support you. The white community has these problems too, but not to the same extent. EVERYONE needs to turn back to God.
There are JUST AS MANY white people who have sex and babies at age 13 through 17, NOT just the black community. Stop being so judgemental - you'll face God one day too.
Michigan 44

Battle Creek, MI

#225 Jun 21, 2008
Truth 007 says "I hope the parents get a ton of money. Seems like that is the only way people will listen." and we wonder why Michigan has so many problems. What you should be saying to other teenagers is "this is why you are polite to authorities and listen and obey". If this kid had simply walked inside in an orderly fashion, this would not have happened. But he is trying to be a tough guy, resisting authority. So what are we teaching other teenagers...resist the police, be an idiot, and maybe you'll be able to file a lawsuit against the city so you won't have to work and be a productive member of society. Parents need to take responsibilty for their children and teenagers need to take responsibility for themselves. It is not a race or skin color issue, it is a personal responsibility issue. As long as we keep rewarding the criminals, Michigan has little hope.
steven

Edmore, MI

#226 Jun 21, 2008
What ever happen to the good ole days where the police could do so much more to trouble makers like this. Taking time away from the Police doing the job of protecting us, than having to deal with teens that are trouble makers and should be jailed and the key thrown away.
tough

West Bloomfield, MI

#227 Jun 21, 2008
Support the police. This man should be commended. These protesters need to deal with these punks. Then the police would not have too. We are working while these people protest. We have to use our tax dollars to house punks like that kid. Oh the poor black kids. Bull. They have to follow the rules. More tough acts would teach them lessons. Turn the darn cameras off and let the police handle their business.
say what

Grand Rapids, MI

#228 Jun 21, 2008
Marti from Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
There are JUST AS MANY white people who have sex and babies at age 13 through 17, NOT just the black community. Stop being so judgemental - you'll face God one day too.
Marti, you might want to check your facts before you spout off like you did above. According to Michigan state statistics, the birth rate for black females under the age of 20 was nearly 3 times that of caucasion females under the age of 20 in 2006 (last year records were available).
It's not being judmental when someone is stating a verifiable fact.
please

Detroit, MI

#229 Jun 21, 2008
unlike most of us a police officer risks his life everyday he goes to work. The pay doesn't even begin to justify the work and risk that comes with the job. We need to support our police force the same as we support our troups. They are the ones who make it safe to live in our neighborhoods. Criminals today are treated better and have more rights then ever before. you broke the law, but u can't be treated like a criminal. Those protester wouldn't be out there if that teen had committed a crime against them.
crimson

Sterling Heights, MI

#230 Jun 21, 2008
okay, the teen had a past. still that gives no right
them to slam him against a wall. They were familiar
with the teen then they should have someone capable
with dealing with him..The other officer kinds of walk
away.. If I were just to slap one of my children I'd
be thrown in jail, court, have a felony on my record..
far worse consequences than the officer will endure..
he's not the first to curse at police, i'm sure..
Let's not forget he was handcuffed!!!
John

Oscoda, MI

#231 Jun 21, 2008
I'm not defending the officer's actions. They're unexcusable. I do feel that the kid got what he deserved.
crimson

Sterling Heights, MI

#232 Jun 21, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
I feel bad for the decent black people that are trying to make a difference in their community. Only YOU can influence the others to get rid of the thug, crap rap music that has invaded your society, encourage your youth to stop wearing their pants down to their knees, speak proper English, STOP having sex and babies at age 15 and expecting the government to support you. The white community has these problems too, but not to the same extent. EVERYONE needs to turn back to God.
who do you refer to as YOU?
the parents? This child has no parents, Remember?
I don't think the leaders have no control as how their youth turns out..crap rap? What did your parents call your music? I'm not critizing you
it's just you can't save them all? I have three children. My oldest was pressured in gangs, he resisted..I kept on my son through merely conversations, instructions, and of couse EXAMPLE.
He's a man now..I give that success to raising
him through the help of God..I have a young daughter
who is thirteen..now our conversations are everday...
about education, teenage pregnacy..ect..Here i go
again..I just think there is a need to have maybe
more training with these officers..I can't hit
my kids because then i'm a bad parent..So no one
else should touch them either........
crimson

Sterling Heights, MI

#233 Jun 21, 2008
John wrote:
I'm not defending the officer's actions. They're unexcusable. I do feel that the kid got what he deserved.
I'll keep at it
until you people get my point...say you were
argueing with a neighbor and you threw the first
punch..wouldn't you be thrown in jail? YOU CAN'T
USE VIOLENCE TO SOLVE PROBLEMS, THE OFFICER AND
COURTS SAY...SO WHY SHOULD THEY...THE KID WAS HANDCUFFED!!! wAS THE OFFICER IN DANGER!!!

Since: Nov 07

Muskegon, MI

#234 Jun 21, 2008
<quoted text>
I am teachable. Never too young to learn. Where are the facts to back you on this statement please?
idiots r everywhere

Lansing, MI

#235 Jun 21, 2008
oo7 you really need to stop playing around you know that the kid is a trouble maker if you really watch the video then you WILL see the kid trying to get away. now lets ask the question what stops a human from moving??? a tree maybe a truck but they were indoors so the police used the next best thing. that being the wall. we all know officers of the law are fat dough nut eating pigs there is no way that one arm swung the kid in to the wall that hard and if he really wanted to he could have used the door jam to really inflict some pain . even after the fact the fatty drug him in to that room and put him upright on a bench if he was trying to hurt the kid you would think that he would have continued to beat the kid DUH!
crimson

Sterling Heights, MI

#236 Jun 21, 2008
Fueling Embers wrote:
I am so sick of hearing this crap!!!! Blacks always wanting special treatment, cause "its all about a racial thang". The frickin BOY resisted arrest people, as do most of the blacks do. They really think they are special, and can do anything they want, and then cry racial!.
i DON'T THINK THIS SHOULD BE MADE A RACIAL issue..I don't believe the
officer has a violent nature because he didn't
continue to beat the child. Was he relieving stress? Don't think so..He made a mistake..should
he be punished? Yes. should he lose his job? No.
The parents have no right to sue..They should find
his father who is not around and charge him with child abandonment..His mother in prison? Never
cared to do her job..How can another relative expect
to raise him knowing the child has special needs
were they capable?..Get a statement from his mother to face her iresponsibility..and how she contributed to the vicious cycle our poor young
endure. I know there are good parents who have
incorrigable kids anyways..This isn'nt directed
to them...Bring these type of parents forward to
send a impact to certain communities...
If anyone wants to scream at me..think twice
I am a minority who have to jump through loops,
never used drugs,,never hung out at clubs...
a teenage mother..who worked summers to pay
for college..and worked to support my family..
no handouts..I live in a neighborhood mainly
whites, we are all working hard..their children
are at my house than their own..I doing my
my part to stop the cycle of minorities..I'm proud of my children, my daughter is in the honors
society...
HeadHunter6

Mount Pleasant, MI

#237 Jun 21, 2008
The kid is an oxygen theif, destined for the big house eventually. After his incarceration, bunk mate bubba will appreciate the "gummy" smile!
reality

United States

#238 Jun 21, 2008
I bet NONE of those picketers would have been there if it was a white kid...

They don't care about the kid, just furthering their own agenda. Maybe, someone should have taught the thug to man up and take responsibility when you get caught. Don't fight the cops, and you get to keep your teeth.
bleeding heart

West Bloomfield, MI

#240 Jun 21, 2008
crimson wrote:
<quoted text> I'll keep at it
until you people get my point...say you were
argueing with a neighbor and you threw the first
punch..wouldn't you be thrown in jail? YOU CAN'T
USE VIOLENCE TO SOLVE PROBLEMS, THE OFFICER AND
COURTS SAY...SO WHY SHOULD THEY...THE KID WAS HANDCUFFED!!! wAS THE OFFICER IN DANGER!!!
He was being an idiot, He got what he asked for. Now Mama wants some money. No way. She should be in jail along with him for raising such a punk.
Pearline

Plainwell, MI

#241 Jun 22, 2008
downtown joe wrote:
camera crew left. so did the protesters.
Which you would have noted the time on this posting.
Pearline

Plainwell, MI

#242 Jun 22, 2008
<quoted text>
You're lucky YOU don't have special-needs children. This young man is emotionally ill and needs help. Throwing him into a wall is absolutely intolerable. I agree - the officer needs to be fired. I hope you never have kids with behavioral problems.
This young man needs to carry an ID bracelet explaining that he has a mental illness and he should not be subjected to any contact. If you worked as a police officer, you would know that many of the young people sound just like him. How do you know which ones have mental illnesses? They should be identified and they should have special guardianship and not be allowed to wander around without guidance.

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

Since: Mar 08

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

#243 Jun 22, 2008
Pearline wrote:
<quoted text>
This young man needs to carry an ID bracelet explaining that he has a mental illness and he should not be subjected to any contact. If you worked as a police officer, you would know that many of the young people sound just like him. How do you know which ones have mental illnesses? They should be identified and they should have special guardianship and not be allowed to wander around without guidance.
Someone who gets it...You work with these types of kids, or you have one

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Modality for Pain Reduction 6 hr britt05 1
How Liberal Pantywads React To Brain William's ... 6 hr Gville Jim 10
hillary is a shoe-in for the top spot 7 hr Gville Jim 4
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 13 hr stewart scott 1,702
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 17 hr Cmar 991
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Feb 27 Snowstruck 69
Attorney's shortchanging of State Bar scuttles ... Feb 26 duh 3
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:08 am PST