Picketers protest teen's treatment by cop

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

People upset about the treatment of a 16-year-old boy by a police officer protested in downtown Kalamazoo Friday morning.
Comments
1 - 20 of 239 Comments Last updated Jul 14, 2008
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Seriously

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

DID YOU PEOPLE SEE THE VIDEO!!!
The TEEN resisted....MOMENTUM put him into the wall, NOT the officer. Sue GRAVITY.
The kid has been in trouble before! I hope any lawsuits get thrown out of court. They've wasted enough of our tax dollars arresting this kid OVER and OVER again.
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

yep and over 1/2 those marching along have criminal records too. And they are very young. huh-some have been in the juvenile system. yep I recognize them. Channel 8 is trying to focus on Kalamazoo "problems" due to the constant killings in GR. EVERY WEEKEND there. Maybe their officers should do a little head banging themselves.

“Smells like 1994!”

Since: Jun 08

Stately Wayne Manor

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

I particularly like the guy with the sign that reads:
NO JUSTICE
NO PEACE
NO MONEY
NO JUSTICE

Brilliant because it's all about a potential payday for some miscreant who belongs in jail but he just won the police brutality lottery.

The police do 500 things right in a day, but as soon as they do 1 thing wrong TV 8 is there to let you know how horrible they are.

I can hear Al Sharpton going; "Cha ching!"
freedom1

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

maureenlee wrote:
yep and over 1/2 those marching along have criminal records too. And they are very young. huh-some have been in the juvenile system. yep I recognize them. Channel 8 is trying to focus on Kalamazoo "problems" due to the constant killings in GR. EVERY WEEKEND there. Maybe their officers should do a little head banging themselves.
I agree 100 percent with you!!!

“Let it snow!!!!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Shelbyville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Of course they are protesting. Why wouldn't they? The "bad cop" hurt their "baby"!!
What a bunch of sh*t!!
"He ain't did nuthin'"!!!!!

Doesn't matter if they seen the video or not. They honestly believe he/they did/do nothing wrong.
Truth 007

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Seriously wrote:
DID YOU PEOPLE SEE THE VIDEO!!!
The TEEN resisted....MOMENTUM put him into the wall, NOT the officer. Sue GRAVITY.
The kid has been in trouble before! I hope any lawsuits get thrown out of court. They've wasted enough of our tax dollars arresting this kid OVER and OVER again.
No spitting on the ground is what got the kid in trouble. Are you kidding me?? I hope the parents get a ton of money. Seems like that is the only way people will listen. Your police "wasted" tax dollars for arresting someone as such. Next it will be making a right turn without your blinker gets you tossed over the police car and thrown in jail. These officers need to get a grip. There was an incident I just heard that happened in GR where a police officer (while looking for an adult) pulled a gun on a 8year old and made him lay down in the street.....there is a trend and something is wrong here!!!
Truth 007

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

maureenlee wrote:
They have! read my post to the previous. Right is right and wrong is wrong. The officer was way out of line.
web

Richfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Now that he is missing teeth send him up to Neywago. He will fit right in. Criminal record, no teeth. Nobody deserves to be treated like that by cops though. Sound like his parents never kick his aus. What a bunch of trashy people. Gotta luv these deadbeats.

Since: Feb 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Why is it that if a black person gets arrested then gets roughed up they come out cockroaches in the dark? Im sorry, but Im getting so sick & tired of all this crap about being black & having hard times! Most of us are having rough times & if a whitey gets arrested then slammed into the wall...OH WELL! what got you there to begin with? Keep your lil stinking nose clean & have nothing to worry about. If you all used all that energy trying to find better jobs it just might work!!
Truth 007

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Fred Tornado wrote:
I particularly like the guy with the sign that reads:
NO JUSTICE
NO PEACE
NO MONEY
NO JUSTICE
Brilliant because it's all about a potential payday for some miscreant who belongs in jail but he just won the police brutality lottery.
The police do 500 things right in a day, but as soon as they do 1 thing wrong TV 8 is there to let you know how horrible they are.
I can hear Al Sharpton going; "Cha ching!"
You damn right!!! If the officer would have been doing his job that we pay for (efficiently I might add) then there wouldn't be a law suit, picketing, and this forum. Sue until you blue!!!
jdub

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Nobody deserves to be slammed into a wall. Police officers think they can do whatever they want to...it is not right! You would do the same if you were slammed into a wall.
my opinion

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Officer Nugent, if you read this know that you are supported and respected. Hang in there, you are in my thoughts.
Seriously

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

You 'heard' about an incident.
Do you think just MAYBE the officer wanted him to lay down to get out of the way of any potential danger? You think..just MAYBE the officer saw something (like he's trained to do) that no one else around saw?? No...you just have hearsay.

This kid was a HABITUAL problem as in he was ALWAYS in trouble and he RESISTED from the get go. I'll bet that the family came up with the great scheme of...hey junior, how would you like a new car....next time you get arrested - take a dive for the team and cry police brutality. We can be RICH!

NO THANKS - I'll stick to working and earning my money. In the meantime, I'll also remain the current minority and still not qualify for any help from the state. But, I'm a survivor, I don't want anything handed to me.
Seriously

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Truth 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sue until you blue!!!
And that's what it comes down too.
Free and easy money.
Worker

Saginaw, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Jody in Holland wrote:
Why is it that if a black person gets arrested then gets roughed up they come out cockroaches in the dark? Im sorry, but Im getting so sick & tired of all this crap about being black & having hard times! Most of us are having rough times & if a whitey gets arrested then slammed into the wall...OH WELL! what got you there to begin with? Keep your lil stinking nose clean & have nothing to worry about. If you all used all that energy trying to find better jobs it just might work!!
I can't help but wonder if 3/4 of those protesting even have jobs. I guess you need something to do besides sleep in and watch TV all day.
steve

Portage, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

The way i look at it, the kid has been in trouble before he was probably mouthing off to the officer and tried pulling away in the hallway and the officer did what the kids parents should have done years ago bust his ass!!! if the parents were to do this years ago he would still have his teeth, bottom line he deserved it, EVERY BIT OF IT!!!I support the officer all the way, maybe no one else remembers the old days you mouth off you get slapped in the mouth!!!! GO POLICE OFFICERS OF KALAMAZOO!!!!
Whatever

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

my opinion wrote:
Officer Nugent, if you read this know that you are supported and respected. Hang in there, you are in my thoughts.
You've go to be joking. Mr. Nugent, not Officer Nugent because he does not deserve respect, needs to get a grip. Truly, I can't blame him completely due to the stress loads and everyday crap he may put up with. However, if he needed help to relieve stress he should have brought it up to his superiors. The departments should monitor their officers more frequently because of the rash actions that are playing out with the public. Serve and protect, not toss around and rough up leading to busted teeth. In short, anger management.

“Smells like 1994!”

Since: Jun 08

Stately Wayne Manor

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

Truth 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
You damn right!!! If the officer would have been doing his job that we pay for (efficiently I might add) then there wouldn't be a law suit, picketing, and this forum. Sue until you blue!!!
He was doing his job. You alluded earlier that the police would abuse somebody at random during a traffic stop. It's been my experience that if you have no priors or no criminal record that this simply doesn't happen.

Keep on blaming the police for whatever ails you though, it seems to work for you.
WhatIsWrongWithP eople

Fremont, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

"Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong."

That's the bottom line. I don't care if the kid has a past, no cop has the right to bash his face in for no reason. He might be a great cop 99% of the time, but that doesn't excuse this behavior. And for those of you making this a race issue ... where are you even coming from?! I don't recall hearing that this kid or his family ever raised the issue of race - why would you?
Steve

Ada, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

Judged:

these stories really make me mad, protest for a criminal. Outstanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 2 hr Dr X 773
What about the Malaysian jetliner? 3 hr Gville Jim 56
When will the poledancer grow a set? 4 hr Phil 1
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) 14 hr JACK 216
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Mon www 1,274
4 held nude in Saginaw jail seek damages on det... (Mar '08) Sun My Son My Son 38
Why Do Men and Women Like To Be Called Mommy or... (Nov '08) Jul 26 hehe 88
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE