|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Dr X wrote:
<quoted text>Noah's flood story was actually based on a similar flood incident described in the Epic of Gilgamesh, written 600 years earlier.
I've not heard of one culture that doesn't have a flood story. Makes one wonder how so many cultures spread out so widely over the planet without the communication avenues we have today all have a story about the same event.

But then it could be that over time travelers spread the story. But then again why would those other cultures adopt it as their own.

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

The "story" on the History Channel right now is about the Black Death and the butchering of the Jews by christians in 1349.
I wonder how many christians are watching now and wondering what their religion really represents.
The truth hurts.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

SeenItBefore wrote:
<quoted text>
I've not heard of one culture that doesn't have a flood story. Makes one wonder how so many cultures spread out so widely over the planet without the communication avenues we have today all have a story about the same event.
But then it could be that over time travelers spread the story. But then again why would those other cultures adopt it as their own.
Sort of...the Roman Empire was quite vast. When Constantine first assembled the bible and declared christianity the religion of his Empire it affected lots of people. I don't have the numbers of years it took for this to happen but historically speaking it would be considered a short period of time regardless of the capability or speed of communication. Certainly today we expect news updates within hours if not minutes. Remember 9/11???
There are writings predating any christian documents that clearly tell stories of virgin births, saviours, god-beings and their wives and children, and floods and all such things.
Culture is kinda a key word because any discussion or affiliation to any religion is going to be influenced by the culture of the individual.
Even in the U.S. we know of cultural differences with regard to religion. I'm not even going to take the time or space to try to list the different christian variations. Many being recognised and declared christians, denying the identity to other groups whom have also been recognised as christians.
Skeezicks

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Sort of...the Roman Empire was quite vast. When Constantine first assembled the bible and declared christianity the religion of his Empire it affected lots of people. I don't have the numbers of years it took for this to happen but historically speaking it would be considered a short period of time regardless of the capability or speed of communication. Certainly today we expect news updates within hours if not minutes. Remember 9/11???
There are writings predating any christian documents that clearly tell stories of virgin births, saviours, god-beings and their wives and children, and floods and all such things.
Culture is kinda a key word because any discussion or affiliation to any religion is going to be influenced by the culture of the individual.
Even in the U.S. we know of cultural differences with regard to religion. I'm not even going to take the time or space to try to list the different christian variations. Many being recognised and declared christians, denying the identity to other groups whom have also been recognised as christians.
Wiggly you old SOB. I thought you had died and were frying in hades by now. Great to hear from you again!
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

SeenItBefore wrote:
<quoted text>
So explain how the left has been trying to tear the Bible apart for years.
I would like to see the right understand the spirit of the Bible instead of cherry-picking it to mean what they want it to....the relations to inheritances in the Bible is not [spiritually] about getting rich. As just one example. Is that what you mean about the left trying to tear the Bible apart?
A WWI memorial under assault as being religious...... It is a cross on a rock placed by vets years ago...... Recently it was deemed offensive by the loony left....... They do not respect others at all.....
Tolerance

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Progressives don't have any.
Really

Grandville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

SeenItBefore wrote:
<quoted text>
None in these times can ever know if the "stories" in the Bible are of actual occurrence or not. Yet, more and more archeologists and anthropologists are discovering there may be more truth than fiction.
But the point of the Bible should never be taken as a history book of carnal fact. Anyone taking the Bible as an instruction book on how to live life based on actual events is missing the point.
Your opinion to which you are entitled. doesn't make you right and others wrong. Someday you will get that you are not the be all end all and have all the answers. You are just the kind of person I used to laugh at, now I just pity people like you.
Dr X

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

SeenItBefore wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there is the Biblical story of the Tower Of Babel where God suddenly created mass confusion amongst the people by giving everyone a different language. I doubt whether that's the true story of where our different languages originated. A few classes in Anthropology pretty much erode fables such as these. I do believe in a higher power though.
Dr X

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Mr Wiggley wrote:
The "story" on the History Channel right now is about the Black Death and the butchering of the Jews by christians in 1349.
I wonder how many christians are watching now and wondering what their religion really represents.
The truth hurts.
Every religion has murdered in the name of their god with a very few exceptions.
SeenItBefore

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>A WWI memorial under assault as being religious...... It is a cross on a rock placed by vets years ago...... Recently it was deemed offensive by the loony left....... They do not respect others at all.....
You're as much of a lunatic as the one person who has filed the law suit for calling ONE person's actions a representation of the entire left.

What this over-reactive individual is protesting is based in the separation of church and state. The memorial is a single cross, which normally indicates the Christian faith, on government land.

Here's the video so you can see what's going on rather than your usual over-reacting just like this lunatic has.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

If you want to attribute this one incident to the entire left then it's only appropriate that your unwillingness to find out what the entirety of the situation is and just spin around in a tizzy pointing fingers is indicative of the entire right.

I would like to see this go down in flames before it reaches the Supreme Court. As well as after it does if it does. Chances are very good the Supreme Court will either refuse to hear the case or they will rule in favor of the memorial standing even if it is in direct violation of the Constitution because the court is so right weighted.
SeenItBefore

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Dr X wrote:
<quoted text>Then there is the Biblical story of the Tower Of Babel where God suddenly created mass confusion amongst the people by giving everyone a different language. I doubt whether that's the true story of where our different languages originated. A few classes in Anthropology pretty much erode fables such as these. I do believe in a higher power though.
Archeologists believe they have found the Tower of Babel. As for the rest that goes along with it, who knows for sure.

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

SeenItBefore wrote:
<quoted text>
Archeologists believe they have found the Tower of Babel. As for the rest that goes along with it, who knows for sure.
Yeah they found noah's ark to, not, of course a good tower in ancient times was maybe what thirty, to fifty feet tall at best. Oh there may have been a tower and when the earth quake that destroyed it happened everyone that may have been left alive were probably so afraid they were waling and crying and running around no one could understand each other, JMO..
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Gomer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats the point Aye whole. Nobody will watch.
Of course...... The insane would never want to learn anything about someone else's religion or culture!
Herman

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course...... The insane would never want to learn anything about someone else's religion or culture!
What exactly is your religion and culture Humberto?
It appears you just oppose most everyone else's.
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

Herman wrote:
<quoted text>
It's actually Roberto, and I was raised in the Catholic church until I figured out how to escape from the brainwashing.

Unlike your basic CRC member, I can't remember any Catholics that had to hide behind closed curtains so they could do what they wanted. Our priest loved to play golf and during the summer, mass was performed at breakneck speed so he could make an early tee time......

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

Herman wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you probing for such information to gain some upper-hand or are you embarrased to reveal your's first??

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
It's actually Roberto, and I was raised in the Catholic church until I figured out how to escape from the brainwashing.
Unlike your basic CRC member, I can't remember any Catholics that had to hide behind closed curtains so they could do what they wanted. Our priest loved to play golf and during the summer, mass was performed at breakneck speed so he could make an early tee time......
He/she probably didn't understand or comprehend your answer.
The request for a reveal was not meant for understanding.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

I'm watching this program right now. Just saw the segment about a father (Abraham) who envisions his god-being requiring the sacrifice of his son to said god-being. Of course, he ends up not having to make the sacrifice but for me, it's the thought of even thinking I could/would terrorize my son in such a horrible, false delusion. I almost got sick watching him deceive his son to appease his god-being.
In today's world, the father would be arrested and sent to jail for such an act...yet, because it's a bible story it's glorified as something special.
Andrea Yates come to mind anyone?? All in the name of her god-being...except her god-being didn't intervene soon enough.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Mr Wiggley wrote:
I'm watching this program right now. Just saw the segment about a father (Abraham) who envisions his god-being requiring the sacrifice of his son to said god-being. Of course, he ends up not having to make the sacrifice but for me, it's the thought of even thinking I could/would terrorize my son in such a horrible, false delusion. I almost got sick watching him deceive his son to appease his god-being.
In today's world, the father would be arrested and sent to jail for such an act...yet, because it's a bible story it's glorified as something special.
Andrea Yates come to mind anyone?? All in the name of her god-being...except her god-being didn't intervene soon enough.
Bawahaaaaaa! You don't know too much about the story do you.... The ignorant passing judgment on the Old Testament/Torah..... Like the people had pillows and mattresses like today.... Bawahaaaaa.......... People arrested!!!!! Snick Snick Snick Bawahaaaa........ Did you miss the meaning of the lamb? Ha ha ha ha, Whew!!! Bawahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>Bawahaaaaaa! You don't know too much about the story do you.... The ignorant passing judgment on the Old Testament/Torah..... Like the people had pillows and mattresses like today.... Bawahaaaaa.......... People arrested!!!!! Snick Snick Snick Bawahaaaa........ Did you miss the meaning of the lamb? Ha ha ha ha, Whew!!! Bawahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
That is exactly what the sect of your religion (christianity) didn't want me to know about. Yes, they shielded me from knowing the entire story. The RCC, the Baptists, the Reformed, the Mormons, and all other christian religions were all wrong...except the specific christian sect I was an unwilling member of...until I broke away and began reading and learning of the attrocities of the bible.

You gloat in some delusion of victory...yet you hardly realize the damage your religion does in the name of a mythical god-being.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of319
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sebelius botches farewell speech 9 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 30
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 10 hr Jim 920
Is Volunteer Energy legit? (Oct '10) 11 hr Jeanette 52
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 12 hr Go Blue Forever 893
Review: Elvis Auto Service 20 hr Del Shannon 2
Gay woman wants same-sex marriage for her kids:... 22 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 3
Get Ready To Pay More For Food. 22 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 29
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••