Rob

United States

#101 Apr 6, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>Straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods/services. It is already illegal, again enforce the laws we have.
A National Campaign to Prevent the Illegal "Straw Purchase" of Firearms

The ATF identifies key cities in which to launch the Don't Lie campaign. Firearms retailers in and around the city will receive enhanced training materials on identifying straw purchasers. NSSF leads a public awareness campaign to educate members of the community on what a straw purchase is and the severe penalties associated with attempting such an illegal buy.

What is a straw purchase?

A straw purchase is an illegal firearm purchase where the actual buyer of the gun, being unable to pass the required federal background check or desiring to not have his or her name associated with the transaction, uses a proxy buyer who can pass the required background check to purchase the firearm for him/her. It is highly illegal and punishable by a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

Magazines hold the rounds, not clips.

I've only been to one gun show and I didn't buy a gun or look into it. I did however hear that a lot of them do require the back ground check. I am not in favor of it because if the intent was to stop crime and not to create a list of gun owners they would go about it differently. As you mention fertilizer which has been proven in the past to be very deadly. We don't do background checks on people purchasing it or background checks or people purchasing automobiles which are deadly objects. How are we going to limit its capacity? It can drive over many people threw the mall or on crowded sidewalks, or sporting events.
Fred

Caledonia, MI

#102 Apr 6, 2013
I for one am tired of hearing about this whole Giffords situation and all the people exploiting it so that they can use it as an excuse to harass law-abiding gun owners. Giffords herself was supposedly a big gun owner and NRA person before the whole incident.
Dr X

Byron Center, MI

#103 Apr 6, 2013
The Nazis don't care about saving lives. They only want to be able to rule over the people in their attempt at harmonious utopia. As shown in the years 1933-1945, they are more than willing to kill millions of people to achieve this goal. The simple fact of the matter is that they do not want an armed civilian population, one that can fight back. Obama and the other Nazi scum thought that they could dupe Americans into the fold. Wrong!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#104 Apr 7, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you think that person would just have more clips that hold less? After all he had more weapons that he didn't use. And they were not even his in the first place. Back to people not taking responsibility. Why on earth did his parents allow him to have any type of access to guns anyway? Good thing they didn't have fertilizer and fuel oil at home.
It's way too late to do anything substantial about guns, as most all of us already have more than enough....but, i can't agree that something effecting the number of large capacity magazines and assault-type rifles, could'nt be done....There remains no serious arguement, for their availability......
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#105 Apr 7, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>Once again you totally miss the point Bob, the problem is not the guns. Why is it uninformed people are so quick to throw our constitution in the toilet because no one wants to take responsibility for their actions. With rights there's responsibilities. To punish millions of people for the actions of a few is fair?
Do you think that more backrground checks and smaller magazine capacities will really make a difference? I don't.

Sound familiar?

It's the same tired rhetoric of the average NRA member who stck to the party lin that it isn't the gun's fault, but the shooters! Then it has to quickly be followed that no one can control eople with guns......

I get it..... No Cure - No Problem

In the meantime, you can stick with the "responsiblity is a punishment" mantra!

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#106 Apr 7, 2013
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that more backrground checks and smaller magazine capacities will really make a difference? I don't.
Sound familiar?
It's the same tired rhetoric of the average NRA member who stck to the party lin that it isn't the gun's fault, but the shooters! Then it has to quickly be followed that no one can control eople with guns......
I get it..... No Cure - No Problem
In the meantime, you can stick with the "responsiblity is a punishment" mantra!
I'm not a NRA member. They're to liberal for me. We need less gun laws not more.
Steelhead

Grand Rapids, MI

#107 Apr 7, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
I don't know about any one else, but I've only been to two gun shows and both required background checks to purchase or sell a firearm.
My step brother lives in Houston and buys all kinds of guns at shows without background checks. It must depend on the show and local laws?

“lover”

Dorr MI

#108 Apr 7, 2013
If we background check every person to purchase a firearm, why not background check every person for a drivers license or purchases of any toxic or dangerous chemicals? The last two can do far more damage.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#109 Apr 7, 2013
Maybe we should "back ground check" all of the people at the grocery store too?
They buy cart loads of free food on our dime, just pull out the card, they pay Nothing, and then hop in their $50,000 Navigator, and drive off.....
Dr X

Byron Center, MI

#110 Apr 7, 2013
Gville Jim wrote:
Maybe we should "back ground check" all of the people at the grocery store too?
They buy cart loads of free food on our dime, just pull out the card, they pay Nothing, and then hop in their $50,000 Navigator, and drive off.....
Funny you should say that. I actually saw that happen at the Big Top grocery store here in Wyoming two years ago. A fat welfare queen with about five kids in tow with herself again pregnant, whipped out her ghetto card then jumped into a Lincoln Navigator with $2000 spinner-type rims on it too. I can't write out here what I wanted to do to her so I'll leave it at that.

Location hidden

#111 Apr 7, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
If we background check every person to purchase a firearm, why not background check every person for a drivers license or purchases of any toxic or dangerous chemicals? The last two can do far more damage.
Many states, do indeed backround check those applying for driver's licenses...in my state, Florida...if you have any outstanding warrants, even misdemeanor ones, they will show up on the national site, shared among the many states that share this information....either you may or may not get your license.....that is why there are so many state troopers, around the licensing centers.....

“lover”

Dorr MI

#112 Apr 7, 2013
http://www.neilflewis.com/articles/driverslic... Are you sure this is a state wide policy? Looks like it could change.

Location hidden

#113 Apr 7, 2013
It's a national database, where the states share information on you...lol...Example : You get a ticket driving through Ohio....You decide, screw'em as you live in Wisconsin....Two years later, you go to renew your license...Surprise, Surprise......
Phil

Oxford, MI

#114 Apr 7, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
http://www.neilflewis.com/arti cles/driverslicenses.htm Are you sure this is a state wide policy? Looks like it could change.
Just another example of false info coming out of blue balls. It was a nice attempt at covering it up though

“lover”

Dorr MI

#115 Apr 7, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
It's a national database, where the states share information on you...lol...Example : You get a ticket driving through Ohio....You decide, screw'em as you live in Wisconsin....Two years later, you go to renew your license...Surprise, Surprise......
I'm sure you are probably correct, I can't see the state missing the opportunity to make a buck. The data base is only as good as the people inputting the data though. Have you seen some of the people that work at the secretary of state lately? OMG!
Phil

Oxford, MI

#116 Apr 7, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you are probably correct, I can't see the state missing the opportunity to make a buck. The data base is only as good as the people inputting the data though. Have you seen some of the people that work at the secretary of state lately? OMG!
The federal background check and that database are not the same. Jason blue balls has no idea what he is talking about. That is a federal system not a state system. You don't deal with Secretary of State to get you pistol permit or your background check. Blue balls is just spouting drivel again.

“lover”

Dorr MI

#117 Apr 8, 2013
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/201... Some Democrats don't want more gun control either.

“lover”

Dorr MI

#118 Apr 8, 2013
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gun-control-fight-... I salute those Democrats that still believe in our second amendment freedom. The main stream media sure isn't telling us the truth.

“lover”

Dorr MI

#119 Apr 8, 2013
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/01/gun-cont... I hope they stand their ground.
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#120 Apr 8, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
I guess you've never gotten a driver's license...... There are a number of things you have to do before you're given one.

You've bought a hunting license either..... Probably never heard of a hunter's safety certificate.

Try purchasing one of the former over the counter cold remedies with Sudafed without providing an ID card.

Purchasing certain quantities of fertilizer of the type used in bomb making will also get you on a list.

But I guess you're right...... Anybody walking right out of the prison gates should make their first stop at the local gun store. The guy with a fist full of ppo's shouldn't be kept from his constitutional right to bear arms either.

Thankfully the 2nd amendment allows everyone to own whatever gun they want!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama's new approval rating at 38% (Mar '14) 32 min Oneal 114
White House Fence Jumper Petition 2 hr Who 3
why war with isis? 5 hr Gville Jim 27
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 8 hr Idea Maker 72
Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) 14 hr JAH 170
Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) 15 hr gamy 97
President O'Blama' Punts Again 16 hr Oneal 18
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating