Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/270402/14/...

At the end of the short article it reads:

Black bear traditionally live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula but many have started moving south in search of food.

Who wrote this piece and what the hell do they know about bears in Michigan? Black bears have roamed the lower penninsula as long as deer or coyotes, pretty much since the last ice age or even before!

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Pity the poor bear that "may act threatening" please tell us authorities how does a bear act threatening?
Go Bear

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

Bear Me wrote:
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/art icle/270402/14/Black-bear-sigh ted-in-Jenison-area
At the end of the short article it reads:
Black bear traditionally live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula but many have started moving south in search of food.
Who wrote this piece and what the hell do they know about bears in Michigan? Black bears have roamed the lower penninsula as long as deer or coyotes, pretty much since the last ice age or even before!
Well a black finally made its way into Jenison. It starts with one you know. Then the whole neighborhood goes to pot. All kidding aside, black bears are adapting to people well. All kinds of rodents feeding off garbage, deer feeding off of shrubbery, garbage bins to be had everywhere and anywhere. This is where their prey lives now. Our desire to be out of the cities and into suburbia and in the country has brought us to this arrangement we now have with our fellow animals. It's unfortunate that this is often a bad deal for the furry animals.
A little story: I lived in Colorado for twenty years and near where I lived these millionaires would build these grand, beautiful homes on the sides of mountains and then complain about the mountain lions! The problem is we want to connect with nature but only part of nature. The safe, fuzzy feeling part. If you want to wake up in the morning and look out the 12 by 10 window in your 2000 square foot bedroom every morning then you have to understand that that view comes with certain understandings. That mountain you live on is mountain lion territory, it's why they call them 'mountain' lions.Still the same those millionaires with their $8,000 rifles would gun them down and claim they were threatening life or property. It's the nature of mountain lions to be very weary when among humans. Rarely do they ever pose a threat and almost always avoid confrontation. There were some reports if these animals being shot a quarter mile from the shooter's home, out there a big home is only really big if bit unless it has a lot of acreage. These people took it upon themselves to eradicate the local mountain lion population. For what? No one was being attacked. No livestock was being killed off. Their attempt was for their own security. I say if you want security then buy a penthouse condo in Denver. If you want nature and beauty and be inspired by God's creation all around you then learn to live with it the way God intended.

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Go Bear wrote:
<quoted text>
Well a black finally made its way into Jenison. It starts with one you know. Then the whole neighborhood goes to pot. All kidding aside, black bears are adapting to people well. All kinds of rodents feeding off garbage, deer feeding off of shrubbery, garbage bins to be had everywhere and anywhere. This is where their prey lives now. Our desire to be out of the cities and into suburbia and in the country has brought us to this arrangement we now have with our fellow animals. It's unfortunate that this is often a bad deal for the furry animals.
A little story: I lived in Colorado for twenty years and near where I lived these millionaires would build these grand, beautiful homes on the sides of mountains and then complain about the mountain lions! The problem is we want to connect with nature but only part of nature. The safe, fuzzy feeling part. If you want to wake up in the morning and look out the 12 by 10 window in your 2000 square foot bedroom every morning then you have to understand that that view comes with certain understandings. That mountain you live on is mountain lion territory, it's why they call them 'mountain' lions.Still the same those millionaires with their $8,000 rifles would gun them down and claim they were threatening life or property. It's the nature of mountain lions to be very weary when among humans. Rarely do they ever pose a threat and almost always avoid confrontation. There were some reports if these animals being shot a quarter mile from the shooter's home, out there a big home is only really big if bit unless it has a lot of acreage. These people took it upon themselves to eradicate the local mountain lion population. For what? No one was being attacked. No livestock was being killed off. Their attempt was for their own security. I say if you want security then buy a penthouse condo in Denver. If you want nature and beauty and be inspired by God's creation all around you then learn to live with it the way God intended.
Well said, I would to look out some morning and see a bear in my yard I have deer and turkeys maybe a few coyotes around not sure seeing as though I sleep during the hours they prowl. If I see a bear though I wont be calling the cops or the "authorities" I will smile take a few pictures and toss it a couple apples or oranges..
bobolinq

Comstock Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

credible - in w. mi it is defined as being dutch, reformed, and with a perspective as wide as a gnats a....
hence no pictures, no video, not even any drawings!
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Whitmore Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>Well said, I would to look out some morning and see a bear in my yard I have deer and turkeys maybe a few coyotes around not sure seeing as though I sleep during the hours they prowl. If I see a bear though I wont be calling the cops or the "authorities" I will smile take a few pictures and toss it a couple apples or oranges..
I wonder if it was the same bear in my redwood hot tub! He liked my beer too!
Boboldink

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder if it was the same bear in my redwood hot tub! He liked my beer too!
Not the same one. Dutch Reformed don't drink beer out in the open.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 3 min Jim 808
go blue goes black 5 min Jim 9
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 6 min Harry Dweeb Reid 8
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 15 hr Wellthereugoagain 80
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) Thu mat 217
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
•••
•••