Rothbury Festival deaths: drug ODs

Rothbury Festival deaths: drug ODs

There are 111 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Aug 14, 2008, titled Rothbury Festival deaths: drug ODs. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The two people who died at the Rothbury Music Festival in early July died of drug overdoses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
FarmChic

Ypsilanti, MI

#1 Aug 14, 2008
Wow..........shocker!
mee

Pueblo, CO

#2 Aug 14, 2008
Drugs....at a festival like this??? No waaaayy!
ZZZ

Lansing, MI

#3 Aug 14, 2008
terribly amazing - only two, though
Big Balls Golf

United States

#4 Aug 14, 2008
Wait WHAT,, How can drugs be there,, WHAT
that guy

Middleville, MI

#5 Aug 14, 2008
stick to the weed man...you'll fall asleep long before you could ever even think about od-ing...that is, if you MUST alter your mind to enjoy fantastic and creative music. that stuff is mind altering in itself. try it sober some time!
Jimmy Shorts

Chesterfield, MO

#6 Aug 14, 2008
Smoke some dope!!!
Darwins at it again

United States

#7 Aug 14, 2008
Natural selection at it's best.
Deep Thinker

Almont, MI

#8 Aug 14, 2008
Very sad-even sadder choice. Are we not thinking anymore....

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#9 Aug 14, 2008
I was at Rothbury and can say as a verteran of festivals for the last 17 years I have seen a lot of things but the amount of heavy drugs like heroin and others blew me away.

I can see gettin a buzz on and enjoying yourself, nobody drives anywhere, no fights break out for the most part but seeing so many kids and adults walking around like zombies and exhibiting antisocial--closed off behavior (at a festival of 20,000-50,000 people mind you) was a bit troubling for me.

Drugs like sythetic heroin, morphine and oxycodone seem to be the drugs of choice to this generation more than they have in the past. Dark, depressing kinds of drugs. When I was a kid you bought a twelve pack, ate a handfull of some delicious mushrooms and laughed your a$$ off for 8 hours. These kids take whatever they take and slump into a corner for 12 hours going in and out of consciousness. What a bummer. Sometimes they even end up dead and then it goes from a bummer to just a waste.
sad

United States

#10 Aug 14, 2008
Any time a life is lost, it's very sad.
People need to be smarter with their actions.
I hope that short buzz was worth the lifetime of pain they have caused all of their family and friends.
GR Girl

Livonia, MI

#12 Aug 14, 2008
Poor choice on their part and unfortunate that they were at the festival when it happened...a place to lay blame! How convienent. The blame sits on themselves, not where they were when it happened. It's not as if the festival provided the drugs, idiots. It could have happened anywhere. Guessing they didn't arrive and decide to use for the first time, come the F on. Reality check. It could have happened anywhere. The festival was simply the location of their death, not the cause.
Jan

Greenville, MI

#14 Aug 14, 2008
froggy log wrote:
Now I see what the Rothbury Festival stands for: S#x, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. They can take this festival and shove it.
festival or no festival these people are losers and made the choice. they could of done the drugs anywhere. Sad that they aren't thinking of the pain they are leaving behind for their family and friends. Whatever happened to just saying NO. Having a festival is not to blame for someone making completely wrong stupid choices. Sad!
KRB

Allendale, MI

#15 Aug 14, 2008
If I had to listen to Dave Matthews Band, I'd OD too.
No way

Saint Joseph, MI

#16 Aug 14, 2008
Duh, I think we al-ready knew this.
john higgs

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Aug 14, 2008
ever robo trip?!?
Fred Krueger

United States

#18 Aug 14, 2008
sad wrote:
Any time a life is lost, it's very sad.
People need to be smarter with their actions.
I hope that short buzz was worth the lifetime of pain they have caused all of their family and friends.
I'm not sad. I'm not responsible for their poor choices. Now they get to enjoy their buzz forever. Perhaps their family and friends should have had a better influence?
froggy log

Madison, WI

#19 Aug 14, 2008
Jan wrote:
<quoted text>
festival or no festival these people are losers and made the choice. they could of done the drugs anywhere. Sad that they aren't thinking of the pain they are leaving behind for their family and friends. Whatever happened to just saying NO. Having a festival is not to blame for someone making completely wrong stupid choices. Sad!
The Festival attracts nothing but, losers. I can only guess on how many people experienced drug use, there. 90% is a very good guess.
Chad

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Aug 14, 2008
Whuteva wrote:
Drugs like sythetic heroin, morphine and oxycodone seem to be the drugs of choice to this generation more than they have in the past. Dark, depressing kinds of drugs. When I was a kid you bought a twelve pack, ate a handfull of some delicious mushrooms and laughed your **** off for 8 hours. These kids take whatever they take and slump into a corner for 12 hours going in and out of consciousness. What a bummer. Sometimes they even end up dead and then it goes from a bummer to just a waste.
If beer and 'shrooms were the choice back then and now they've gone to harder stuff, what will happen in another 10 - 20 years? If each generation keeps "one-upping" the previous one, we're headed down a dark and dangerous road.

Since: Feb 08

United States

#21 Aug 14, 2008
that guy wrote:
stick to the weed man...you'll fall asleep long before you could ever even think about od-ing...that is, if you MUST alter your mind to enjoy fantastic and creative music. that stuff is mind altering in itself. try it sober some time!
You have to remember Snoop Dog was playing!

Since: Feb 08

United States

#22 Aug 14, 2008
froggy log wrote:
<quoted text>The Festival attracts nothing but, losers. I can only guess on how many people experienced drug use, there. 90% is a very good guess.
Losers with $$$ helping to feed our economy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Builder, construction worker arrested for theft... (Jan '08) Mon Nicks new victim 53
Local News Women (Apr '09) Mon WMNewsfan 3,222
Review: Dermatology Center - Evelyn E Vandervee... (Oct '09) Feb 18 Former Patient 21
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Feb 18 a commenter 1,219
News Fire destroys well-known Lowell restaurant (Sep '07) Feb 18 Neighbor 11
KJC's Very Own Things To Write Here On Topix Feb 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 28
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Feb 15 lynn 195

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages