Mom doesn't want to move son's roadsi...

Mom doesn't want to move son's roadside memorial

There are 407 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 16, 2008, titled Mom doesn't want to move son's roadside memorial. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

When Kraig Millsap was killed by a hit-and-run driver in December, his family and friends put up a roadside memorial at the location.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Michelle in MI

United States

#21 Apr 16, 2008
I have seen the memorial, it is pretty big probably 3ftX3ft. HOWEVER it is not in someone's yard it is in a dirt parking lot type property.There are a lot of vacant stores about the only operating business on this road is a junk yard across the street and the strip club next door from the memorial. I don't really think it is hurting a thing. Maybe a compromise is in order here, something smaller.
I hope this family can find peace soon.

“Hoping to see some good news”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#22 Apr 16, 2008
From the picture of the memorial it already looks quite large with 2 different crosses covered and cluttered with things.

Call me heartless, but I wouldn't want that in my yard either. A memorial garden at home would be more appropriate.

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

Since: Mar 08

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

#23 Apr 16, 2008
Just saw the video and they have said that it may actually be on the county property, as they own from the center of the road out 33 feet...it looks well kept, and it doesn't look like it is in a front yard [looks like the house sits well off the road]...BUT, the road didn't look too desserted either, to which I'm not sure that it is safe for kids [or anyone] to be hanging out along side of the road...
But boy, sympathy to the mom...she has experienced the hardest thing she ever will
Cheryl

Horton, MI

#24 Apr 16, 2008
I think it would be safer for the Memorial to be moved. Road side memorials could be a hazard and cause another person to be killed while visiting the site. I'm sorry for those that are grieving and will be praying for a solution that brings everyone some peace.
Iris5

Grand Rapids, MI

#25 Apr 16, 2008
I am on the side of the property owner. It's his property. I understand her grief, but she has to respect the person who owns the property.

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

#26 Apr 16, 2008
Confused~~saw your post about mixed feelings on the roadside memorial issue...until one has "been there," one really can't say...

I hope if I were ever a property owner in this situation that I would have some compassion for the grieving mother [and others] and just let time run its course...the news report said that the kids leave trash at the site [of course, who knows its the kids and not just people littering; which drives me nuts]; and I actually doubt the kids are littering anyways, as it looks like there is some pride in keeping the memorial neat; Also, if the kids were hanging out there from dusk til dawn and having bon fire partys, that would be one thing; but I am guessing they may meet there for a few minutes then move along...and again, those things subside after..."time".....B ut again, not so sure it is safe for them to be hanging out along side that road; perhaps someone from that area could weigh in on the traffic flow there?
Tut

Grand Rapids, MI

#27 Apr 16, 2008
There is no debate here. For those that think "both sides of the argument make sense", you have no concept of private property ownership. There is no argument. The property owner has all the say here.
Scott

Whitehall, MI

#28 Apr 16, 2008
We can't mark every spot where someone died. I would't want memorials in an operating room, grocery store, gas station bathrom, etc.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#29 Apr 16, 2008
Good Day,

If I am not mistaken, the law only applies to displays on public land. Like easements and the like. Now as for say a township or city law that may be different like with regard to election signs needing to be removed 30 days after an election for instance.

Now this is private land, so the new owner can really do what ever they like. But here is my thing... how does the new owner make a connection between the display and broken windows in a storage shhed? They were wintering in Arizona. A burglar is probably a more reasonable explanation for the broken windows.

My best still goes to the family.

Steelie
Michelle in MI

United States

#31 Apr 16, 2008
All but 6...UNLESS,
There is A LOT of traffic on that road, it is Raymond Road in Battle Creek. The speed limit I believe is 40 0r 45 but the cars actually go faster. There really aren't a lot of houses you can see part of Kellogg's behind the reporter, to the right of that is a junk yard and the building on the hill is a strip club, there aren't really this is a commercial area, the houses are on the side streets. I have been on this road several times in the past.
Matt

United States

#32 Apr 16, 2008
If I were the landowner I would be afraid if someone gets injured on my property, what then? They would probably be sued, I don't think I would want it on my property.
Deb Andrews

Olive Branch, MS

#33 Apr 16, 2008
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH MOM, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS THAT THE MEMORIAL SHOULD STAY WHERE HER SON WAS KILLED. ITS SIMPLY A RESPECT THING FOR THE YOUNG SON AND HIS FAMILY. AND I GUESS I WONDER HOW SUCH A THING AS A MEMORIAL WOULD BE OFFENSIVE TO ANYONE. ITS ONLY A PIEICE OF PROPERTY. GOD BLESS YOUR WHOLE FAMILY AND I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU. SIMPLY PRAY FOR THE PROPERTY OWNER THAT HE WILL HAVE A LOVING HEART.

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

#34 Apr 16, 2008
Apparently we cannot have a "concept" of private property ownership and compassion...how sad

I would think the liability of the homeowner if someone got hurt on the property under these circumstances would be questionable

And thanks Michelle in MI for the information about the traffic on the road...hopefully the saftey issue [or lack of safety] will settle things down for those who go there regularly

Still, just a toughie
Ray

Syracuse, NY

#35 Apr 16, 2008
Move it.
Some People

United States

#36 Apr 16, 2008
Should be moved... I am a property owner and I wouldn't want someone 'visiting' a spot on my property... how creepy..

do they not have a gravestone? Thats where we go visit our deceased family members.

Easements are for the county to maintain the roadway, not 'free use' for anyone to put their own things on.
coastline

Kalamazoo, MI

#37 Apr 16, 2008
Deb Andrews wrote:
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH MOM, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS THAT THE MEMORIAL SHOULD STAY WHERE HER SON WAS KILLED. ITS SIMPLY A RESPECT THING FOR THE YOUNG SON AND HIS FAMILY. AND I GUESS I WONDER HOW SUCH A THING AS A MEMORIAL WOULD BE OFFENSIVE TO ANYONE. ITS ONLY A PIEICE OF PROPERTY. GOD BLESS YOUR WHOLE FAMILY AND I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU. SIMPLY PRAY FOR THE PROPERTY OWNER THAT HE WILL HAVE A LOVING HEART.
Sadly, there are thousands and thousands of families who suffer through tragic losses. It has been proven that the "memorials" cause great danger on the roads because strangers along with friends and relatives are gawking and not paying attention to where they are driving. It is unfortunate this young man's family can not find a way to help others in some positive way to keep their sons memory alive.
Kdog

Chapel Hill, NC

#38 Apr 16, 2008
I feel for Mrs. Millsaps loss. However, road side memorials are a distraction and hazard for the driver. We have cemetaries and other means to memorialize the death of our loved ones. Perhaps the Sate of Michigan and our legislature would like to pass another law providing a road side signage, e.g., the Gas Stations, Hotels and others have to pay a fee to advertise their businesses. Would Mrs. Millsap be willing to pay $1,000.00 a year to have her memorial displayed on a sign. If so she should petition the state.
I drive 300 miles or more per day and as I drive by these memorials I try to read them and can't. But I and others turn their heads going 55-70 mph distracted by these displays risking our lives and others just out of curosity. This is American the Beatiful. Lady Bird must be looking down on our highways in ghast.
nbr

Belleville, MI

#39 Apr 16, 2008
We lost a close friend in a tragic accident. The accident site is a special place to remember him. I only pray that the person who did this, will be brought to justice so that the family can bring some closure to this horrible tragedy.
mary

Coleman, MI

#42 Apr 16, 2008
I think it is great that there are so many others who HATE these memorials. Used to dread driving up north, constantly being asked "who die there", whenever we passed one of these memorials. I don't mean to be cold hearted but life does go on. Your greif is yours & the friends. Grieve in private and not where the rest of are constantly reminded. These things are stupid. Just think what our roads would look like if this had been the "way to grieve" for the past 40 years? We be the land of junk not America the beautiful. If you are still grieving then please do so in private on your own property. I live in a rural area, if one is in front of my house....its in the trash every week. If he was cremated then take up a collection from all the friends and family and give the boy a proper final resting place.
Rita Laninga

Carson City, MI

#43 Apr 16, 2008
I believe that when the new property owner purchased the property is was sold as it was! I also believe that the owner should have some heart! Let the family, teen and Kraig Millsap be at peace it's hard enough to deal with!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 6 hr wildcat123 2,387
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sat Tommy Z 1,009
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Sat tom wingo 2,224
News WZZM13 WATER COOLER - Weird 'shoe tree' in nort... (May '08) Fri toni 15
What a [exletive-deleted] gal! Jul 1 bobolinq 1
WLLA channel 64 - off the air? (Feb '12) Jun 30 remembring 16
News Boy With Autism Gets A Special Gift At Field Day Jun 28 Really 23
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages