Mom doesn't want to move son's roadside memorial

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

When Kraig Millsap was killed by a hit-and-run driver in December, his family and friends put up a roadside memorial at the location.
Comments
301 - 320 of 407 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2014

Since: Nov 08

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

and not to be insensitive also but he didn't die there... he died later at the hospital.

But... the memorial is kept neat & clean so if the property owner does not object, at least it's not over the top (compared to the one around the corner...)

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Judged:

I still say if the accident was in my yard, the family could have a memorial there as long as they wanted.

Their need for a memorial trumps my need for a perfect yard.

“You're gonna make it after all”

Since: May 09

Grandville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Judged:

little-me wrote:
I still say if the accident was in my yard, the family could have a memorial there as long as they wanted.
Their need for a memorial trumps my need for a perfect yard.
That's very sweet of you. I suppose it may depend on where a person lives. I live in the city. Frankly I wouldn't want my kids to play around a memorial either. Nothing wrong with you doing that nor is there anything wrong with me wanting to not turn my own yard into somebody elses memorial.

Dutchville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Businessminded_plus4 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very sweet of you. I suppose it may depend on where a person lives. I live in the city. Frankly I wouldn't want my kids to play around a memorial either. Nothing wrong with you doing that nor is there anything wrong with me wanting to not turn my own yard into somebody elses memorial.
I live in town very close to a cemetery :)

I can understand people not wanting to be reminded of death in their own yard- we just take a little more "natural" look at it.

My daughter feels sympathy when she sees me visiting the grave of an old friend or comforting people I see there (small town- we all know each other), she doesn't seem uncomfortable.
Gadfly13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Judged:

Pooh wrote:
This should no have to be a debate this womans son was killed.... ask your self this question now if you where to die or get hit by a car or something like that i bet you would want everyone to know thats; where it all happened.Think about it i did!!![R.I.P Kraid Allen Millsap] ily...
Sorry. Not a chance I'd want that for myself. I would want those who love me to focus on the life I lived, not on the way I died. Everyone has lost or will lose someone they love. It's part of life. We simply don't have enough space on the planet to eternally memorialize every person wherever they die. Yes, it's sad. Yes, we all feel bad for your loss - but rationality has to take over at some point.

“You're gonna make it after all”

Since: May 09

Grandville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Judged:

little-me wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in town very close to a cemetery :)
I can understand people not wanting to be reminded of death in their own yard- we just take a little more "natural" look at it.
My daughter feels sympathy when she sees me visiting the grave of an old friend or comforting people I see there (small town- we all know each other), she doesn't seem uncomfortable.
My kids go to the cemetery regularly with me and they have no problem with that. But I wouldn't want the view or responsibility of some other families 'memorial'. I wouldn't want my kids playing baseball around it or getting skewered by some cross stuck in the ground. Just doesn't seem the proper place for it. And on my end, I can't imagine wanting to go to some strangers front yard to mourn over the loss of a loved one. That is what cemeteries are for or even memorials in ones yard.:) Plant a tree in a park for goodness sakes.
Thewayiseeit

Fremont, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Judged:

Cemetaries are the appropriate place for a memorial, not a roadside. Or if one needs a daily reminder, a jar of ashes in one's own home. I believe a memorial should be a private thing, not a public display.
malcolm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2009

personally they are eyesores ... so no one goes to gravre sites to pay respect...
PAPOLLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

Judged:

ROADSIDE MEMORIALS INTRUDE ON PROPERTY ONWERS RIGHTS AND AFFECT PROPERTY VALUES. GO TO CHURCH TO GREIVE AT THE CROSS.
PAPOLLY

Burlington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

PEOPLE ARE SELFISH IN THEIR GRIEF

Dutchville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

PAPOLLY wrote:
PEOPLE ARE SELFISH IN THEIR GRIEF
That's pretty harsh.

Dutchville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

Matilda wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read the things you said to people on the Kentucky threads?
You are a piece of work, AKA a pieceofass
Much milder than the stuff you say here, bunnee.

Dutchville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

Florence wrote:
bunnee: this thread is about a roadside memorial.
PAPOLLY

Burlington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

ROADSIDE MEMORIALS SHOULD NOT INFRINGE ON OTHER PEOPLES RIGHTS TO LIVE IN PEACE ON PROPERTY THEY OWN. LETTERS TO THE DEAD,FAKE FLOWERS,CANDLE LITE VIGILS,FREAK SHOW!!!!!!!!!!
pj_dutchville

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Judged:

PollyAnna wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't think these threads were about YOU startingbullshitt, but just like this thread, you thought it was necessary
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/grayson-ky/TD ...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/grayson-ky/TD ...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/grayson-ky/T1 ...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/grayson-ky/T1 ...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/grayson-ky/T3 ...
Hard to believe that the good Christian neeter would associate with the likes of you little-me
Hard to believe they allow you to breathe, Polly-pure-bred.
gregd548

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

I disagree with these roadside memorials. If someone dies in a hospital,through surgical error or whatever, do you put up a memorial in the hospital room or hallway? no...
OhioGirl

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

I own a property in Ohio. I was clearing it out and fixing it up to rent out. THere was a fatal accident there and 2 people were killed.
There are now 2 memorials there, one on each wall.
I NEED to rent this place, it is draining me of money every month, and I am unemployed.
I cannot show the place with these memorials on the sides of the building. It is encraching on the front door making it difficult to get in and out of the building.
WHat can I do? They leave candles burning there with all the stuffed animals,and pictures, it is a fire hazzard.
Truthfully, I want it out, the sooner the better.
WHat is the length of time to leave this stuff up?
Is there any protocal in dealing with this?
PAPOLLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2009

Judged:

EVERYDAY THROW THE STUFF AWAY AND CLEAN-UP THE SITE. SOMETIMES THIS HELPS. DONOT ALLOW A FOOT HOLD OF MEMORIALS TO EVER TAKE PLACE ON YOUR PROPERTY. REMEMBER PEOPLE THIS IS YOUR PROPERTY.
PAPOLLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2009

OHIOGIRL=BEEN THERE 5FOOT COME TO JESUS ON SUNDAY MORNING SIZE CROSS.THE ACCIDENT INFRONT OF OUR PROPERTY A 16YEAROLD IN STOLEN CAR.WE HAD GRIEF COUNSLERS FROM SCHOOL SAING HAVE A MEMROIAL,T.V. STATIONS,FIRE POLICE DIRECTING TRAFFIC,TOWNSHIP SUPERVISORS SURVEING OUR LAND,STATE POLICE WERE NO HELP. BUT IN THE END ITS YOUR LAND. YOU WIN.
my theory

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

If the memorial is far enough the road so it is not in anyones line of vision, then leave it alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grand Rapids Discussions

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 45 min BH fun before din din 797
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 4 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 1
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 6 hr Shes awful 79
When will the poledancer grow a set? 8 hr Jim 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) 16 hr Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) Tue JACK 216
•••
•••