Do you approve of George Heartwell as Mayor?

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fred

Caledonia, MI

#2 Feb 6, 2012
He is the worst mayor ever. He has made Grand Rapids a haven for homeless people, criminals, and panhandlers. Downtown has been overrun by panhandlers, homeless people, and useless hippie protesters camping out and banging on drums. If it weren't for the business community stepping up and investing, the city would be doomed. Mayor Heartwell is a clown.

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#3 Feb 6, 2012
I never lived in GR, but from what I've seen of Heartwell I would not vote for him.
Linda

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Feb 7, 2012
I thought officials had proposed an end to homelessness in Grand Rapids by 2012 ... or was it 2016? Apparently from Fred's comment the problem is getting worse. I haven't visited downtown in ages. Probably some of those homeless men do have a little money. They just don't want to give it all to a landlord for an apartment. After all I think they kind of enjoy their lifestyle and panhandling has grown pretty lucrative has it not?

The mayor is a busy man. He juggles another job doesn't he? Time for discussion perhaps for a full-time mayor like other cities, Chicago, Detroit??? Afterall, Grand Rapids is getting BIG. People from here on the 'Today Show' and all. Plus we have all these cultural amenities as other cities but we also have ARTPRIZE. Let's have a full-time mayor and get on the MAP as a world-class city and mean it. Oh ... well, those who don't want it are getting so old anyway.

After we really get on the map - maybe we will have more police and fire to work with the CIA. As far as I'm concerned we have the Gerald R. Ford International Airport - and therefore we are or can become an international destination. We probably already have a few Russian spies here.

Who is to be the next mayor of Grand Rapids? How about Pete Hoekstra?
Sayldog

United States

#5 Feb 19, 2012
I used to think Hartwell was a man of integrity, but the shenanigans that this city has perpetrated in order to get it's way by manipulating the vote has proven otherwise.
For a couple of examples:
- When the voters said a loud NO to the proposed "Super Bus" the city wouldn't accept that and packaged the concept with something that was likely to pass.
- Knowing that a particular tax increase would be voted down, the city hired a high priced lobbyist to present scare tactics to elderly voters who would not be effected by that raise in taxes.
Crooked politicians and city management.
Jim

Cadillac, MI

#6 Mar 6, 2012
I think he is doing a great job, keep it up sir.
WRONG

Caledonia, MI

#7 Mar 6, 2012
Jim wrote:
I think he is doing a great job, keep it up sir.
Too liberal and wastes his time on matters and issues completely irrelevant to city business (Iraq War, affirmative action, global warming.) He's ineffective and incompetent, except when it comes to shoving his left-wing agenda down our throats.
Nuts

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Mar 6, 2012
Nobody's perfect but even a blind squirrel should find a nut once in awhile!
St Stephen

Milwaukee, WI

#9 Mar 6, 2012
It's a part time position, give the guy a break.

The rest of the city's leadership is made up of a bunch of morons though. Backwards in every single way. Can you imagine paying a city payroll tax that goes straight into the coffers of the city employee's retirement fund? What a scam and what a dump!
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#10 Mar 6, 2012
And to think...He was Re-elected.
Sick of Heartwells crap

Caledonia, MI

#11 Mar 6, 2012
The guy is an arrogant buffoon. I can't stand him.
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Mar 7, 2012
Sick of Heartwells crap wrote:
The guy is an arrogant buffoon. I can't stand him.
No offense intended towards baffoons!
seriously

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Mar 29, 2012
the guy is a clown and is no good
Diggs

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Mar 31, 2012
seriously wrote:
the guy is a clown and is no good
That's denoted by the (D) in front of his name.
Judy

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Apr 2, 2012
I disapprove of this clown
bobolinq

Belmont, MI

#16 Apr 4, 2012
i personally think he is doing a supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious job ... in grand rapids!
Sharon

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Apr 4, 2012
bobolinq wrote:
i personally think he is doing a supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious job ... in grand rapids!
He's a joke, and I agree with the other posters that he is a buffoon. You are a fool.
Homer

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 12, 2012
Just don't make me watch him talk. He looks like my dog chewing gum.
Sadie

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Apr 12, 2012
This town sucks. I have yet to receive a response from any public official paid or otherwise when I have written or contacted them. What is it? They are all so arrogant and hide behind everything - including their money. Now I have written to Heartwell, granted it was a long time ago during his first term - I did not receive a reply - same deely - the former mayor of Holland - no response. And even that Hardiman person, which I wrote to on more than one occasion, plus sent email - frankly I'm glad he's no longer in office. Please don't vote for this arrogant a___ ever again! Everyone is important on this earth whether certain people wish to acknowledge it or not.

Heartwell is a coward - and actually scared - but I'm sure he enjoys all the money and perks he gathers from City Hall and his regular job. I'd like money to buy a pizza tonight. Do you think you can get Mr. Hearwell to supply it? Yet I have funelled my life savings downtown in tax money, i.e., income taxes, property taxes, water bills, trash tags, housing fees, certificate of compliance fees, housing inspection fees, you name it.

I personally don't care who the mayor is because he hasn't done a thing for me or my household. I wrote to him about the homeless people because at the time it was in the news that they were trying to eliminate this scourge in the city - especially the unsightly assembly that parades all over downtown. There was never a response or even an acknowledgment of receiving the message. So believe me he really does not care about the homeless even if he pretends that he does.

There are a bunch of arrogant, self-centered, plain, mean and onry (spelling?) people eating up our tax dollars downtown from city hall to the county commission; lining their wallets and not doing enough for the ccommunity. I mean when you can't even answer your correspondece or have someone else do so for you - it says that you don't give a d___. Well, I'm a taxpayer and that means 'we the people' pay your salary or a portion of it. Get on the ball - because whereas a few years ago I was a quiet person. I no longer am. And I am just gonna get louder and louder and tell on some of these arrogant folks who go to bed with their bellies full of food from the fine restaurants around town. I mean, who do they think they are? They certainly aren't any better than the rest of us... yet they are mostly unproductive in helping in various areas of the city from what I can see.
dopesmokinglib

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Apr 13, 2012
Heartwell is a progressive/communist.Its not that hard to see.Anybody who's been around politically for the last 50+ years can spot'em a mile away.He may not even know it.He thinks he's loved by the voters,but in reality,hes just a stooge in a suit.
Always pushing 'social justice',living high on the hog themselves,and in the meantime demanding the rest of us little people pay MORE.Be regulated MORE.Free edumakashion,free twanspertashun,lots of perks after the butt sucking to you'n yuns. Grand Rapids is ok.Unlike some other Michigan cities ran into the ground by the likes of liberal/progressive dipsh*ts.So far.
BITE ME GEORGE.
Jan

Caledonia, MI

#21 Apr 26, 2012
I can't stand this fool

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 2 hr DrX 13
Al Sharpton's Marchers in New York City Chant "... 6 hr Oneal 15
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 7 hr Go Blue Forever 1,494
pope-a-dope Sat Really 3
welcome to the new black america Sat Really 6
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... Fri DrX 71
Review: Kitten Flower Boutique Dec 26 Brit 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:21 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:21PM
Two Megatron TDs tie the score, Rodgers returns
ESPN 3:30 PM
Bears' Trestman expects to return in 2015
Bleacher Report 3:42 PM
Rodgers Rubs Beard Before Returning
NBC Sports 4:03 PM
Packers' Aaron Rodgers returns vs Lions after hurting calf - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 4:24 PM
Did Ndamukong Suh step on Aaron Rodgers twice on purpose?