Chatting online helps Grand Rapids wo...

Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds

There are 90 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 27, 2007, titled Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Grand Rapids - She says she didn't get her stomach stapled, didn't really diet and didn't exercise much.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

#72 Nov 30, 2007
Pprmint Patti wrote:
Posted by Mario on the other thread,(post #21)
"Once she lost all that weight she got out there and STARTED her cleaning business."
And I also remember seeing the brodcast, where she said she finally left the house after losing 400 lbs.
So my question is, I see her friend say she started cleaning... once she lost 400 lbs... but how did she support herself while she was a) homebound due to her weight and b) how did she support herself while losing the first 400 lbs while sitting on the computer 12-14 hours a day?
Are her friends trying to say that she worked as a cleaning lady while typing away to the point she neglected to eat. Also- how could she make a living cleaning while being self proclaimed homebound due to her weight?
I am really happy for her in that she took control of her life and did this all on her own. I think that is fantastic. But what bothers me is knowing that she most likely spent the days overeating, and then spent the days typing away, on essentially my dime.
To her friends, can you honestly say, in full truthfulness, that she 100% supported herself in a cleaning business when she herself said she did not go out of the house until she had already lost 400 lbs? Now dont forget.... Mario said she started the cleaning business AFTER she lost the weight.
So again, what did she do to support herself in the meantime?
Hey Patti,

My mom watched the Ophra show yesterday and they really didn't talk to her much so who knows.

This is just my opinion and people can correct me if I am wrong. But I believe if you are obese and weigh over 400 pounds you qualify for disablity so yes she may have been supporting her self on our dime, if thats how you want to look at it, but she is divorced so never know she may have been living on alimony, or her family could have been supporting her and feeding her addiction. Who really knows but her.

I am glad she has lost all the weight and can now be a member of society again.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

#73 Nov 30, 2007
EmmaRae wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Patti,
My mom watched the Ophra show yesterday and they really didn't talk to her much so who knows.
This is just my opinion and people can correct me if I am wrong. But I believe if you are obese and weigh over 400 pounds you qualify for disablity so yes she may have been supporting her self on our dime, if thats how you want to look at it, but she is divorced so never know she may have been living on alimony, or her family could have been supporting her and feeding her addiction. Who really knows but her.
I am glad she has lost all the weight and can now be a member of society again.
Im glad for her too, really I am. But this just brings a whole new quandry to me in that I am all for helping someone who cannot help themselves (ie- diasibility checks for the disabled). But it bothers me that someone can willfully make themselves so obese that they can get out of working and sit home, making themselves even more obese while I get up every morning extra early to workout on a treadmill, get my child out of bed to bring her to daycare, then go to work, watching what I put in my mouth in the meantime so I dont end up like that. And it kills me to know that what I work for has approx 30% taken out of it and some of that money goes to people who, all on their own, make themselves this way.

This is why I AM happy for her, she found a way to stop destroying herself and to become an active, responsible member of society. But as you can see my my handy little quote under my name "personal responsibility is key"... we are all responsible for what we do to ourselves, and I feel it is not right for my hard earned money to support people who do what she did to herself. Perhaps if they had zero free money (ie-disability checks, welfare, foodstamps etc) coming in, perhaps they wouldnt have the opportunity to sit home every day & gorge themselves into an even worse predicament. Perhaps if they had to actually go out and work, they would have that constant opportunity (their kitchen) to eat eat eat taken away, allowing them to stop packing the weight on, and also making them more physcially active than just sitting on the couch.

sigh... it just bugs me to know that there are seriously disable peopel out there who would do ANYTHING to have a 'normal' body, and who are deserving of government assistance. And then there are people out there who destroy their bodies, who are perfectly able and ahve every opportunity to make a btter life for themself, but they choose not to, for whatever reason. And then we taxpayers have to pay for it.
know nancy

United States

#75 Nov 30, 2007
yes she was once on disability she had a weight problem even as a kid but she lost weight and she got off assistance ok?
stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

#76 Nov 30, 2007
Get Real wrote:
Stephanie and know nancy,
I think you get my point, and if not I'll explain. I don't care if she worked 8 hours a day or 2, what I care about was if she was on any Government assisted programs and nobody here is answering that.
This was self inflicted and I'm tired or our system funding everything for everyone. We have people (if not her, much like her) that do things to themselves like vast wieght gain, or drugs, etc.....That suddenly I (as a tax payer) have to support.
We have third generation welfare people who are not just not working, but have no intentions on working, that I have to pay for, as well as an entire host of other things.
Meanwhile we have others that truly need the help, folks that are really hurt, or mental disorders, or blind, or what have you.......
So, was she on Government programs? If not, I erase everything I said concerneing that, is so, I stand by what I said
We as a society should have a safty net for those who really need it, not for those who "choose" it.
she lived in an apartment complex so she visited people in the complex. from what i know thats where she was cleaning to start out. and she did help take care of her mom when her mom was not well and there are places you can go through to get paid for taking care of parents and stuff like that. so what if she had some government assistance. she worked many years before she was really heavy. my mom is on disability for multiple sclerosis. she is on government assistance whats wrong with that.

let me as you do you have a problem with all these mexicans and other nationalities that come here and right away get ssi, cash assistance, food stamps, a place to live. that is what I have a problem with.

or what about people who gets disability for being an acholoic. or what about people who go on it for bi-polar. I personally know someone who is capable of working that just got diagnosed with it and she was so happy and went right away to apply for ssi. i know there are some people who have that, that can not work because of it but most people that i have seen abuse it. for these people i would rather be paying for someone who is overweight then someone who is an alcholoic or bi polar or people who just abuse the system. nancy would not be one to do that. i am also a tax payer, i take care of my mom and go to school and work full time my mom gets some assistance but not a lot. but if you feel that we should support these people then we should do the same for her. she used her depression and downfalls and cured it with food, thats a lot better then alcholo or drugs. so she must have had a depression problem and that is a medical problem..

and a lot of people in our family are over weight i am just a little by like 10lbs but i know more people in our family who are a lot more then that!

not everyone here full supports themselves 100% so people just need to quite picking at the little things.
know nancy

United States

#78 Nov 30, 2007
stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
she lived in an apartment complex so she visited people in the complex. from what i know thats where she was cleaning to start out. and she did help take care of her mom when her mom was not well and there are places you can go through to get paid for taking care of parents and stuff like that. so what if she had some government assistance. she worked many years before she was really heavy. my mom is on disability for multiple sclerosis. she is on government assistance whats wrong with that.
let me as you do you have a problem with all these mexicans and other nationalities that come here and right away get ssi, cash assistance, food stamps, a place to live. that is what I have a problem with.
or what about people who gets disability for being an acholoic. or what about people who go on it for bi-polar. I personally know someone who is capable of working that just got diagnosed with it and she was so happy and went right away to apply for ssi. i know there are some people who have that, that can not work because of it but most people that i have seen abuse it. for these people i would rather be paying for someone who is overweight then someone who is an alcholoic or bi polar or people who just abuse the system. nancy would not be one to do that. i am also a tax payer, i take care of my mom and go to school and work full time my mom gets some assistance but not a lot. but if you feel that we should support these people then we should do the same for her. she used her depression and downfalls and cured it with food, thats a lot better then alcholo or drugs. so she must have had a depression problem and that is a medical problem..
and a lot of people in our family are over weight i am just a little by like 10lbs but i know more people in our family who are a lot more then that!
not everyone here full supports themselves 100% so people just need to quite picking at the little things.
that is right stephanie i am so proud of her
Tom

Grand Rapids, MI

#80 Nov 30, 2007
She cleaned for others? Really? the GR Press article stated that she NEVER left the house for over 3 years! So how do you clean for people if you don't leave your house?
You can bet she was getting some sort of disability for her "medical" problem, much like others who are alcoholics do (I know this for a fact since I have family member abusing the sytem like this, and before you ask: YES I have complained about it but tgovernment classifes him as diabled).
As I have said before, she opened herself to scrutiny when she decided to put herself out as an example for others.
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

#82 Nov 30, 2007
Tom wrote:
She cleaned for others? Really? the GR Press article stated that she NEVER left the house for over 3 years! So how do you clean for people if you don't leave your house?
You can bet she was getting some sort of disability for her "medical" problem, much like others who are alcoholics do (I know this for a fact since I have family member abusing the sytem like this, and before you ask: YES I have complained about it but tgovernment classifes him as diabled).
As I have said before, she opened herself to scrutiny when she decided to put herself out as an example for others.
her mom lived in the same complex as she did.. she has went to see her mom.. she just didnt leave the apartment complex... i would much rather pay for someone being disability for being overweight and eat the money away then pay for an alcoholics to drink away the money. my dad was an alcolic and he worked just fine. and did not have a problem bring in the money to support me and my mom. so alcoholism is not a disability..
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

#83 Nov 30, 2007
Get Real wrote:
Stephanie,
I am against anyone who takes Government funds unless it is absolutely necessary and is not self inflicted. Yes, that includes illegal aliens, alcaholics, and the like.
Your Mom obviously is one of those who is not taking advantage of the system, but others are.......By the way the entire world has bi-polar, it's the newest thing.
What you refuse to get is that not only do I not care if folks that really need these programs get them, but that I'm all for it. I just don't think that self inflicted issues should be part of it.
Why should I have to pay because someone eats too much, or drinks too much, or does drugs..........If you do nothing else, I want you to answer that.
ok i feel nancy did not abuse the system she got wheat she needed when she needed it. and not just government support her family helped out a lot to. so is something wrong with her family helping her out too.
debra

Durham, NC

#84 Dec 3, 2007
Hey cousin Stephanie Carter:
The weight loss of your cousin Nancy is WONDERFUL, but the rest of us have burning questions, maybe you know the answers.
#1, How did a person with children who didn't leave her home more than 8 times in twelve years support herself and her children. I know she says she is cleaning homes and businesses now, but where was the income source for those 12 year. How do you pay rent, feed and clothe kids, and eat 12 cheeseburgers a day and never leave home?
disgusted

Flint, MI

#85 Dec 3, 2007
so ... she sat the sofa for most of her life, collected welfare and stuffed her face and chain smoked. then she became an internet addict and was so obsessed with chatting on line she didn't eat enough to maintain her 700 pound body weight, which she gradually lost over a 10 year period. did i miss anything?
Sharon B

Grand Rapids, MI

#87 Dec 4, 2007
to ALL of you who are b*tching about IF she was getting disability and how YOU are paying for it...you are WRONG !!!IF she is on disability ,ITS MONEY "SHE" EARNED PREVIOUSLY...not your tax dollar.IF she was on SSI then you'd be paying,BUT she had also put into that fund herself.Cant you just be happy for her? just remember: what goes around,comes around.
Fatty

Muskegon, MI

#88 Dec 4, 2007
She lives of the government like every other dipressed fat f*cker! But makes enough to by smokes! Thank God for SSI! Wait so we are all working so hard to support people like this!?!?!!?
Pprmint Patti wrote:
I kind of feel the same way as a lot of people commenting. Here are some issues I had problems with upon seeing this story:
- She says she was on the internet for 12-14 hours a day. How was she supporting herself?
- I see pics of her with young children. Are these her children? And what was being done with them, considering she was so engrossed with the net she failed to eat?
- I hope now that she is weight-wise healthier, she is able to give her lungs a break.
Still, I must say great job for losing the weight on your own!
Fatty

Muskegon, MI

#89 Dec 4, 2007
The SSI/Disability system is so screwed up!!! It is pretty bad when someone can make more living off the government than working hard and providing for their family. The concept of "Goverment take care of me!" is BS! People need to stop looking for a hand out, get a back bone and get to work! By the way no one is above working at McDonalds or Walmart! Depression is not an excuse, go live in a 3rd world country for a week and see how good u got it! It is funny, 3rd world countries have lower depression rates than the fat and wealth US!
Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
her mom lived in the same complex as she did.. she has went to see her mom.. she just didnt leave the apartment complex... i would much rather pay for someone being disability for being overweight and eat the money away then pay for an alcoholics to drink away the money. my dad was an alcolic and he worked just fine. and did not have a problem bring in the money to support me and my mom. so alcoholism is not a disability..
Fatty

Muskegon, MI

#90 Dec 4, 2007
It's SSI/Disablility it all comes from the same pot. Get your facts straight. You are right, what comes around goes around, so please keep working hard so you can support people that can readily support themselves! Thank You!
Sharon B wrote:
to ALL of you who are b*tching about IF she was getting disability and how YOU are paying for it...you are WRONG !!!IF she is on disability ,ITS MONEY "SHE" EARNED PREVIOUSLY...not your tax dollar.IF she was on SSI then you'd be paying,BUT she had also put into that fund herself.Cant you just be happy for her? just remember: what goes around,comes around.
Fatty

Muskegon, MI

#91 Dec 4, 2007
That is soooo dang funny!!! LMAO! You have the funniest post!
Curious wrote:
I wonder how many men thought they were chatting with a hottie...when inturn it was her! EEEEWWWW!!
Fatty

Muskegon, MI

#92 Dec 4, 2007
One word, GOVERNMENT!
debra wrote:
Hey cousin Stephanie Carter:
The weight loss of your cousin Nancy is WONDERFUL, but the rest of us have burning questions, maybe you know the answers.
#1, How did a person with children who didn't leave her home more than 8 times in twelve years support herself and her children. I know she says she is cleaning homes and businesses now, but where was the income source for those 12 year. How do you pay rent, feed and clothe kids, and eat 12 cheeseburgers a day and never leave home?
Sharon B

Grand Rapids, MI

#93 Dec 4, 2007
Fatty wrote:
It's SSI/Disablility it all comes from the same pot. Get your facts straight. You are right, what comes around goes around, so please keep working hard so you can support people that can readily support themselves! Thank You!
<quoted text>
...IF YOU read my statement ,I SAID ,they are TWO different types of disability...EITHER way,how do you know she did NOT EVER work and put into it?AND it DOES NOT come from the same pot as you say.if she is on straight disability it is HER MONEY that she put in throughout the years....no matter what this woman did ,there are people like you who would always have negatives things to say.i say : GOOD JOB NANCY,I'M PROUD OF YOU...(and hopefully ,you are NOT reading what these morons are saying about you)
Sharon B

Grand Rapids, MI

#94 Dec 4, 2007
Fatty wrote:
She lives of the government like every other dipressed fat f*cker! But makes enough to by smokes! Thank God for SSI! Wait so we are all working so hard to support people like this!?!?!!?
<quoted text>
...GO NANCY,GO MARLBORO AND THANK-YOU GOVERNMENT...AT LEAST THE MONEY WENT TO AN AMERICAN CITIZEN(NO MATTER WHERE IT CAME FROM)AND NOT SOME ILLEGAL .wow,fatty,(thats what YOU call yourself)you sound a little jealous ....i gotta go now and have a smoke,myself.nice chatting with you.
GO NANCY

“Congrats to all Graduating”

Since: Aug 07

Muskegon, MI

#95 Dec 4, 2007
Pprmint Patti wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering- not trying to point fingers or anything... but how did she work when she was so busy on the internet for 12-14 hours a day that she would even skip meals due to being so engrossed in her chat rooms?
The question keep's coming up, I am sure you have heard of jobs on line.
there are so many out there, not just scams.
I mean working from home.
The man that was cut out of his building did that for a living.
I dont know if that is what she did do for work, but is that possible?
What

Muskegon, MI

#96 Dec 4, 2007
I think it is crazy what we all call news these days. I guess there is nothing else better out there. I agree that we need more positive out there but I think WZZM can dig deeper to find a better story to make headlines. I mean congrats on losing weight but less face it, if you took care of yourself from the get go then you wouldn't be in position you got yourself into. Don't blame the weight gain on anything but yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 7 things you need to know about Aerosmith's 201... 3 hr Who 1
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 3 hr tom wingo 2,354
News The Supermercado Mexico on Chicago Drive in Wyo... 3 hr Who 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sun janjanster 1,011
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jul 31 Jake 2,399
Daane Development towing next to Score Sportsbar Jul 27 Doosh Bagge 1
You Decide Jul 26 You Decide 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages