Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Grand Rapids - She says she didn't get her stomach stapled, didn't really diet and didn't exercise much.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of105
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Howd she pay bills,

I think their stone silence is your answer.
know nancy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Get Real wrote:
Howd she pay bills,
I think their stone silence is your answer.
read it it said she did housework and before that i know she helped take care of her mother she was a cleaning person she worked
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

know nancy,

There seems to be conflicting information on this. How does someone that out of shape work all day (let alone clean....which is tough work) and have the stamina to spend 13 hours a day on the computer.

Let's do the math......8 hours of work, 13 hours of computer.......Wow, she only slept 3 hours a day. That is a remarkable woman
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

Get Real wrote:
know nancy,
There seems to be conflicting information on this. How does someone that out of shape work all day (let alone clean....which is tough work) and have the stamina to spend 13 hours a day on the computer.
Let's do the math......8 hours of work, 13 hours of computer.......Wow, she only slept 3 hours a day. That is a remarkable woman
some people dont sleep a lot at night. i know tons of people that sleep only like 4 hours a night because thats all they can sleep for and they are fine for the day. we never said she worked a full 8 hour day.we said she did work. a lot of times when people are doing cleaning and stuff like that they only work a few hours a day. they can set their hours depending on how many customers they have. i dont see why you cant be happy for her that she lost the weight and looks amazing now and that she did it on her own with out medical help or surgery. i dont see why people are being so negative against her. maybe its because there is something about yourself that you are not happy about or maybe that is was so easy for her? well she has kept the weight off for 3 years and she is doing a great job and she wont gain it back again. she is doing something right.
know nancy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
some people dont sleep a lot at night. i know tons of people that sleep only like 4 hours a night because thats all they can sleep for and they are fine for the day. we never said she worked a full 8 hour day.we said she did work. a lot of times when people are doing cleaning and stuff like that they only work a few hours a day. they can set their hours depending on how many customers they have. i dont see why you cant be happy for her that she lost the weight and looks amazing now and that she did it on her own with out medical help or surgery. i dont see why people are being so negative against her. maybe its because there is something about yourself that you are not happy about or maybe that is was so easy for her? well she has kept the weight off for 3 years and she is doing a great job and she wont gain it back again. she is doing something right.
YAY well said to me they are just plain out jealous or something rather than be happy they are so negative screw em all that matters is how great nancy has done and she is continuing to do i was a nurse i worked in the same building which she resides also her mom lived there too and i know the struggles she went thru on a daily basis she is such a inspiration to many and to those who are quick to judge her then so be it they are so miserable with their own life that they only have time to sit on a computer and cut this woman down gee i wonder if they have a life? i wonder if they work? seems to me they are just plain out negative azzes
know nancy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Get Real wrote:
know nancy,
who said she worked 8 hr days and does everyone sleep 8 hr nights? i dont
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Stephanie and know nancy,

I think you get my point, and if not I'll explain. I don't care if she worked 8 hours a day or 2, what I care about was if she was on any Government assisted programs and nobody here is answering that.

This was self inflicted and I'm tired or our system funding everything for everyone. We have people (if not her, much like her) that do things to themselves like vast wieght gain, or drugs, etc.....That suddenly I (as a tax payer) have to support.

We have third generation welfare people who are not just not working, but have no intentions on working, that I have to pay for, as well as an entire host of other things.

Meanwhile we have others that truly need the help, folks that are really hurt, or mental disorders, or blind, or what have you.......

So, was she on Government programs? If not, I erase everything I said concerneing that, is so, I stand by what I said

We as a society should have a safty net for those who really need it, not for those who "choose" it.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Posted by Mario on the other thread,(post #21)

"Once she lost all that weight she got out there and STARTED her cleaning business."

And I also remember seeing the brodcast, where she said she finally left the house after losing 400 lbs.

So my question is, I see her friend say she started cleaning... once she lost 400 lbs... but how did she support herself while she was a) homebound due to her weight and b) how did she support herself while losing the first 400 lbs while sitting on the computer 12-14 hours a day?

Are her friends trying to say that she worked as a cleaning lady while typing away to the point she neglected to eat. Also- how could she make a living cleaning while being self proclaimed homebound due to her weight?

I am really happy for her in that she took control of her life and did this all on her own. I think that is fantastic. But what bothers me is knowing that she most likely spent the days overeating, and then spent the days typing away, on essentially my dime.

To her friends, can you honestly say, in full truthfulness, that she 100% supported herself in a cleaning business when she herself said she did not go out of the house until she had already lost 400 lbs? Now dont forget.... Mario said she started the cleaning business AFTER she lost the weight.

So again, what did she do to support herself in the meantime?

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Pprmint Patti wrote:
Posted by Mario on the other thread,(post #21)
"Once she lost all that weight she got out there and STARTED her cleaning business."
And I also remember seeing the brodcast, where she said she finally left the house after losing 400 lbs.
So my question is, I see her friend say she started cleaning... once she lost 400 lbs... but how did she support herself while she was a) homebound due to her weight and b) how did she support herself while losing the first 400 lbs while sitting on the computer 12-14 hours a day?
Are her friends trying to say that she worked as a cleaning lady while typing away to the point she neglected to eat. Also- how could she make a living cleaning while being self proclaimed homebound due to her weight?
I am really happy for her in that she took control of her life and did this all on her own. I think that is fantastic. But what bothers me is knowing that she most likely spent the days overeating, and then spent the days typing away, on essentially my dime.
To her friends, can you honestly say, in full truthfulness, that she 100% supported herself in a cleaning business when she herself said she did not go out of the house until she had already lost 400 lbs? Now dont forget.... Mario said she started the cleaning business AFTER she lost the weight.
So again, what did she do to support herself in the meantime?
Hey Patti,

My mom watched the Ophra show yesterday and they really didn't talk to her much so who knows.

This is just my opinion and people can correct me if I am wrong. But I believe if you are obese and weigh over 400 pounds you qualify for disablity so yes she may have been supporting her self on our dime, if thats how you want to look at it, but she is divorced so never know she may have been living on alimony, or her family could have been supporting her and feeding her addiction. Who really knows but her.

I am glad she has lost all the weight and can now be a member of society again.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

EmmaRae wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Patti,
My mom watched the Ophra show yesterday and they really didn't talk to her much so who knows.
This is just my opinion and people can correct me if I am wrong. But I believe if you are obese and weigh over 400 pounds you qualify for disablity so yes she may have been supporting her self on our dime, if thats how you want to look at it, but she is divorced so never know she may have been living on alimony, or her family could have been supporting her and feeding her addiction. Who really knows but her.
I am glad she has lost all the weight and can now be a member of society again.
Im glad for her too, really I am. But this just brings a whole new quandry to me in that I am all for helping someone who cannot help themselves (ie- diasibility checks for the disabled). But it bothers me that someone can willfully make themselves so obese that they can get out of working and sit home, making themselves even more obese while I get up every morning extra early to workout on a treadmill, get my child out of bed to bring her to daycare, then go to work, watching what I put in my mouth in the meantime so I dont end up like that. And it kills me to know that what I work for has approx 30% taken out of it and some of that money goes to people who, all on their own, make themselves this way.

This is why I AM happy for her, she found a way to stop destroying herself and to become an active, responsible member of society. But as you can see my my handy little quote under my name "personal responsibility is key"... we are all responsible for what we do to ourselves, and I feel it is not right for my hard earned money to support people who do what she did to herself. Perhaps if they had zero free money (ie-disability checks, welfare, foodstamps etc) coming in, perhaps they wouldnt have the opportunity to sit home every day & gorge themselves into an even worse predicament. Perhaps if they had to actually go out and work, they would have that constant opportunity (their kitchen) to eat eat eat taken away, allowing them to stop packing the weight on, and also making them more physcially active than just sitting on the couch.

sigh... it just bugs me to know that there are seriously disable peopel out there who would do ANYTHING to have a 'normal' body, and who are deserving of government assistance. And then there are people out there who destroy their bodies, who are perfectly able and ahve every opportunity to make a btter life for themself, but they choose not to, for whatever reason. And then we taxpayers have to pay for it.
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Pprmint Patti,

Seems we're on the same track, and also very well said.
know nancy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

yes she was once on disability she had a weight problem even as a kid but she lost weight and she got off assistance ok?
stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Get Real wrote:
Stephanie and know nancy,
I think you get my point, and if not I'll explain. I don't care if she worked 8 hours a day or 2, what I care about was if she was on any Government assisted programs and nobody here is answering that.
This was self inflicted and I'm tired or our system funding everything for everyone. We have people (if not her, much like her) that do things to themselves like vast wieght gain, or drugs, etc.....That suddenly I (as a tax payer) have to support.
We have third generation welfare people who are not just not working, but have no intentions on working, that I have to pay for, as well as an entire host of other things.
Meanwhile we have others that truly need the help, folks that are really hurt, or mental disorders, or blind, or what have you.......
So, was she on Government programs? If not, I erase everything I said concerneing that, is so, I stand by what I said
We as a society should have a safty net for those who really need it, not for those who "choose" it.
she lived in an apartment complex so she visited people in the complex. from what i know thats where she was cleaning to start out. and she did help take care of her mom when her mom was not well and there are places you can go through to get paid for taking care of parents and stuff like that. so what if she had some government assistance. she worked many years before she was really heavy. my mom is on disability for multiple sclerosis. she is on government assistance whats wrong with that.

let me as you do you have a problem with all these mexicans and other nationalities that come here and right away get ssi, cash assistance, food stamps, a place to live. that is what I have a problem with.

or what about people who gets disability for being an acholoic. or what about people who go on it for bi-polar. I personally know someone who is capable of working that just got diagnosed with it and she was so happy and went right away to apply for ssi. i know there are some people who have that, that can not work because of it but most people that i have seen abuse it. for these people i would rather be paying for someone who is overweight then someone who is an alcholoic or bi polar or people who just abuse the system. nancy would not be one to do that. i am also a tax payer, i take care of my mom and go to school and work full time my mom gets some assistance but not a lot. but if you feel that we should support these people then we should do the same for her. she used her depression and downfalls and cured it with food, thats a lot better then alcholo or drugs. so she must have had a depression problem and that is a medical problem..

and a lot of people in our family are over weight i am just a little by like 10lbs but i know more people in our family who are a lot more then that!

not everyone here full supports themselves 100% so people just need to quite picking at the little things.
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Being on disability is more than a wieght problem........It suddenly becomes or problem.

I wish her well, I'm sure this was a very difficult path and since I've never been over wieght I'm sure there is a lot I don't understand. If only our tax money were used for non self inflicted issues that's all.
know nancy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
she lived in an apartment complex so she visited people in the complex. from what i know thats where she was cleaning to start out. and she did help take care of her mom when her mom was not well and there are places you can go through to get paid for taking care of parents and stuff like that. so what if she had some government assistance. she worked many years before she was really heavy. my mom is on disability for multiple sclerosis. she is on government assistance whats wrong with that.
let me as you do you have a problem with all these mexicans and other nationalities that come here and right away get ssi, cash assistance, food stamps, a place to live. that is what I have a problem with.
or what about people who gets disability for being an acholoic. or what about people who go on it for bi-polar. I personally know someone who is capable of working that just got diagnosed with it and she was so happy and went right away to apply for ssi. i know there are some people who have that, that can not work because of it but most people that i have seen abuse it. for these people i would rather be paying for someone who is overweight then someone who is an alcholoic or bi polar or people who just abuse the system. nancy would not be one to do that. i am also a tax payer, i take care of my mom and go to school and work full time my mom gets some assistance but not a lot. but if you feel that we should support these people then we should do the same for her. she used her depression and downfalls and cured it with food, thats a lot better then alcholo or drugs. so she must have had a depression problem and that is a medical problem..
and a lot of people in our family are over weight i am just a little by like 10lbs but i know more people in our family who are a lot more then that!
not everyone here full supports themselves 100% so people just need to quite picking at the little things.
that is right stephanie i am so proud of her
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Stephanie,

I am against anyone who takes Government funds unless it is absolutely necessary and is not self inflicted. Yes, that includes illegal aliens, alcaholics, and the like.

Your Mom obviously is one of those who is not taking advantage of the system, but others are.......By the way the entire world has bi-polar, it's the newest thing.

What you refuse to get is that not only do I not care if folks that really need these programs get them, but that I'm all for it. I just don't think that self inflicted issues should be part of it.

Why should I have to pay because someone eats too much, or drinks too much, or does drugs..........If you do nothing else, I want you to answer that.
Tom

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

She cleaned for others? Really? the GR Press article stated that she NEVER left the house for over 3 years! So how do you clean for people if you don't leave your house?
You can bet she was getting some sort of disability for her "medical" problem, much like others who are alcoholics do (I know this for a fact since I have family member abusing the sytem like this, and before you ask: YES I have complained about it but tgovernment classifes him as diabled).
As I have said before, she opened herself to scrutiny when she decided to put herself out as an example for others.
Get Real

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Stephanie......Quit picking at the little things.

Taking other peoples money is not a little thing.
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Tom wrote:
She cleaned for others? Really? the GR Press article stated that she NEVER left the house for over 3 years! So how do you clean for people if you don't leave your house?
You can bet she was getting some sort of disability for her "medical" problem, much like others who are alcoholics do (I know this for a fact since I have family member abusing the sytem like this, and before you ask: YES I have complained about it but tgovernment classifes him as diabled).
As I have said before, she opened herself to scrutiny when she decided to put herself out as an example for others.
her mom lived in the same complex as she did.. she has went to see her mom.. she just didnt leave the apartment complex... i would much rather pay for someone being disability for being overweight and eat the money away then pay for an alcoholics to drink away the money. my dad was an alcolic and he worked just fine. and did not have a problem bring in the money to support me and my mom. so alcoholism is not a disability..
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Get Real wrote:
Stephanie,
I am against anyone who takes Government funds unless it is absolutely necessary and is not self inflicted. Yes, that includes illegal aliens, alcaholics, and the like.
Your Mom obviously is one of those who is not taking advantage of the system, but others are.......By the way the entire world has bi-polar, it's the newest thing.
What you refuse to get is that not only do I not care if folks that really need these programs get them, but that I'm all for it. I just don't think that self inflicted issues should be part of it.
Why should I have to pay because someone eats too much, or drinks too much, or does drugs..........If you do nothing else, I want you to answer that.
ok i feel nancy did not abuse the system she got wheat she needed when she needed it. and not just government support her family helped out a lot to. so is something wrong with her family helping her out too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of105
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 6 hr Go Blue Forever 914
Amazing $5,000 Kitchen Makeover 7 hr Rick 1
What about the Malaysian jetliner? 17 hr Go Tigers 17
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 21 hr Plughead 922
Local News Women (Apr '09) Tue El Presidente 2,254
What Obamacare's Advertising Is Costing We Taxp... Tue Jim 10
Report: ACA Will Increase Costs of Small Busine... Tue Jim 200
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••