Chatting online helps Grand Rapids wo...

Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds

There are 90 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 27, 2007, titled Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Grand Rapids - She says she didn't get her stomach stapled, didn't really diet and didn't exercise much.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

#47 Nov 28, 2007
know nancy wrote:
<quoted text> for your information all her kids are grown and she is a wonderful lady so dont be so judgemental you never know a person you know may be overweight and need to loose weight she is a wonderful lady i was in nursing many years and i had many chats with nancy our taxes did not support her she took care of herself just like you and i do she worked
Just wondering- not trying to point fingers or anything... but how did she work when she was so busy on the internet for 12-14 hours a day that she would even skip meals due to being so engrossed in her chat rooms?
omg

Granbury, TX

#48 Nov 28, 2007
Annieh49441 wrote:
<quoted text>
True, some people are that way because of medical conditions or the side effects of medication. Some, like myself, are food addicts and this is a particularly nasty addiction. An alcoholic can give up alcohol, but a food addict can't give up food. I'm very happy for this woman and hope she maintains her weight loss.
that is right girl,i have a medical condition,but i am working on it.so i can get better.i am 260lb and was 300lb so i am working on it.it is a lot of work and with god help we can do it.god bless you all

“Keeping my fingers crossed ...”

Life's enduring gifts

#49 Nov 28, 2007
omg wrote:
<quoted text>that is right girl,i have a medical condition,but i am working on it.so i can get better.i am 260lb and was 300lb so i am working on it.it is a lot of work and with god help we can do it.god bless you all
Good luck to you OMG.
Stephanie

Southfield, MI

#50 Nov 28, 2007
know nancy wrote:
<quoted text> thats right stephanie i have known nancy for a long time and i know what a wonderful person she truly is i am also so proud of her
she is a wonderful person. that is my cousin. and i hope she knows how happy her family is for this. she looks great and i also have not seen her in a long time i would love to get together with her again sometime. its been to long. but she has an amazing personality and just all around a wonderful person . i can not believe how cruel some people can be on here. they just need not be so judgemental. its great that people like you and me that know her are on here to support her against the people who leave rude and nasty commments

“Keeping my fingers crossed ...”

Life's enduring gifts

#51 Nov 28, 2007
Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
she is a wonderful person. that is my cousin. and i hope she knows how happy her family is for this. she looks great and i also have not seen her in a long time i would love to get together with her again sometime. its been to long. but she has an amazing personality and just all around a wonderful person . i can not believe how cruel some people can be on here. they just need not be so judgemental. its great that people like you and me that know her are on here to support her against the people who leave rude and nasty commments
Stephanie, please convey my congratulations to your cousin. I'm so happy for her.
Sharon B

Grand Rapids, MI

#52 Nov 28, 2007
Congrats Nancy,I'm very proud of you,and just ignore all the negative remarks that "some" post on here.You are doing great,keep it up.
Snicker

Plainwell, MI

#53 Nov 28, 2007
Get Real wrote:
Snicker. How she supports herself while on the net 13 hours a day, Could her smoking habit have become worse because all she did was sit there (not eating), and perhaps neglecting her children while she was doing something she enjoyed are all valid questions.
This story is not just a story, many folks will take it as advice, and if more harm then good was done that needs to be reported as well.
And I for one, as a taxpayer, want to know how she is financially being supported to stay on the internet 13 hours a day while that time could be spent looking for a job.
I value your opinion, I am not going to worry about woulda, shoulda, coulda. This person went a different path to achieve something, and it turned into a "shame on her thing". I am proud to support her as a taxpayer if she the outcome was rewarding and positive.
For the people that do know her, it sounds like she did have a job (that makes her a taxpayer), plus she took care of her children just fine.
Stephanie

Holly, MI

#54 Nov 28, 2007
Annieh49441 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stephanie, please convey my congratulations to your cousin. I'm so happy for her.
Annieh, I will be sure to do that next time I talk to her thank you so much for your support.
omg

Granbury, TX

#55 Nov 28, 2007
Annieh49441 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck to you OMG.
thank you, and god be with you always
Tom

Grand Rapids, MI

#57 Nov 29, 2007
When you hold yourself out as an example, you open yourself to criticism. She has put herself out as an example of how others can do the same thing, so it is appropriate to ask the hard questions of her. If she doesn't like it, then don't go public with your story. She wants to be a motivational speaker, but many will rightfully question her methods. Doesn't meant they didn't work for her, just that they should not be taken carte blanche as the way for others to achieve the same results as her.
My wife watched the show and asked the same things many on here have asked. They are valid questions.Happy that she got motivated to get healthy, just think she did not do it the healthiest way possible.
Many years ago we saw a story about the woman that holds the record for weight loss (900+ pounds I believe), and when they showed how much she ate prior to her surgery even my then 6 year old asked "Who kept bringing her all that food if she couldn't get out of bed?". Was that "rude" or does it show insight even on the part of a child that there are always bigger problems than are seen at afce value?
know nancy

United States

#58 Nov 29, 2007
Sharon B wrote:
Congrats Nancy,I'm very proud of you,and just ignore all the negative remarks that "some" post on here.You are doing great,keep it up.
thats right keep up the good work and ignore rude people
Donna Smith

Clarenville, Canada

#59 Nov 29, 2007
There will always be naysayers - it took courage for her to tell her story. I am against smoking too but if it comes right down to it - would you have the balls to lose over 500 lbs. That took hard work and pain on her part. Lets see her for what she is "an inspiration to millions of people".
Donna Smith

Clarenville, Canada

#60 Nov 29, 2007
There will always be naysayers. The woman lost over 500 lbs. When it comes right down to it - would you have the balls to lose that much weight? She didn't lost the weight sitting in front of a computer - the truth is it takes hard work, sacrifice and pain to lose that much weight. Lets see her for what she really is "an inspiration to millions of people".
Tom

Grand Rapids, MI

#61 Nov 29, 2007
But she says she DID lose it sitting in front of the computer. Her exact words are that she lost it without diet or exercise.
So who is telling the truth, her or you?
I stand behind my statement that if she wants to be looked to as an example then she has to be open to the hard questions.
Howd she pay bills

United States

#63 Nov 29, 2007
I am curious about how she paid her bills while chatting on her computer. I see a lot of people have asked that question but none of the people who know her are answering.
know nancy

United States

#65 Nov 29, 2007
Get Real wrote:
Howd she pay bills,
I think their stone silence is your answer.
read it it said she did housework and before that i know she helped take care of her mother she was a cleaning person she worked
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

#67 Nov 29, 2007
Get Real wrote:
know nancy,
There seems to be conflicting information on this. How does someone that out of shape work all day (let alone clean....which is tough work) and have the stamina to spend 13 hours a day on the computer.
Let's do the math......8 hours of work, 13 hours of computer.......Wow, she only slept 3 hours a day. That is a remarkable woman
some people dont sleep a lot at night. i know tons of people that sleep only like 4 hours a night because thats all they can sleep for and they are fine for the day. we never said she worked a full 8 hour day.we said she did work. a lot of times when people are doing cleaning and stuff like that they only work a few hours a day. they can set their hours depending on how many customers they have. i dont see why you cant be happy for her that she lost the weight and looks amazing now and that she did it on her own with out medical help or surgery. i dont see why people are being so negative against her. maybe its because there is something about yourself that you are not happy about or maybe that is was so easy for her? well she has kept the weight off for 3 years and she is doing a great job and she wont gain it back again. she is doing something right.
know nancy

United States

#68 Nov 30, 2007
Stephanie wrote:
<quoted text>
some people dont sleep a lot at night. i know tons of people that sleep only like 4 hours a night because thats all they can sleep for and they are fine for the day. we never said she worked a full 8 hour day.we said she did work. a lot of times when people are doing cleaning and stuff like that they only work a few hours a day. they can set their hours depending on how many customers they have. i dont see why you cant be happy for her that she lost the weight and looks amazing now and that she did it on her own with out medical help or surgery. i dont see why people are being so negative against her. maybe its because there is something about yourself that you are not happy about or maybe that is was so easy for her? well she has kept the weight off for 3 years and she is doing a great job and she wont gain it back again. she is doing something right.
YAY well said to me they are just plain out jealous or something rather than be happy they are so negative screw em all that matters is how great nancy has done and she is continuing to do i was a nurse i worked in the same building which she resides also her mom lived there too and i know the struggles she went thru on a daily basis she is such a inspiration to many and to those who are quick to judge her then so be it they are so miserable with their own life that they only have time to sit on a computer and cut this woman down gee i wonder if they have a life? i wonder if they work? seems to me they are just plain out negative azzes
know nancy

United States

#69 Nov 30, 2007
Get Real wrote:
know nancy,
There seems to be conflicting information on this. How does someone that out of shape work all day (let alone clean....which is tough work) and have the stamina to spend 13 hours a day on the computer.
Let's do the math......8 hours of work, 13 hours of computer.......Wow, she only slept 3 hours a day. That is a remarkable woman
who said she worked 8 hr days and does everyone sleep 8 hr nights? i dont

“Personal responsibility is key”

West Michigan

#71 Nov 30, 2007
Posted by Mario on the other thread,(post #21)

"Once she lost all that weight she got out there and STARTED her cleaning business."

And I also remember seeing the brodcast, where she said she finally left the house after losing 400 lbs.

So my question is, I see her friend say she started cleaning... once she lost 400 lbs... but how did she support herself while she was a) homebound due to her weight and b) how did she support herself while losing the first 400 lbs while sitting on the computer 12-14 hours a day?

Are her friends trying to say that she worked as a cleaning lady while typing away to the point she neglected to eat. Also- how could she make a living cleaning while being self proclaimed homebound due to her weight?

I am really happy for her in that she took control of her life and did this all on her own. I think that is fantastic. But what bothers me is knowing that she most likely spent the days overeating, and then spent the days typing away, on essentially my dime.

To her friends, can you honestly say, in full truthfulness, that she 100% supported herself in a cleaning business when she herself said she did not go out of the house until she had already lost 400 lbs? Now dont forget.... Mario said she started the cleaning business AFTER she lost the weight.

So again, what did she do to support herself in the meantime?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 2 hr stewart scott 2,332
Local News Women (Apr '09) 18 hr Alex 2,398
Daane Development towing next to Score Sportsbar Mon Doosh Bagge 1
You Decide Jul 26 You Decide 1
Searching for Richard Painted Horse... Jul 23 Anonymous 1
News New state law enables Holland SmartZone district Jul 23 District 1 1
News Ground broken on Consumers Leadership Center Jul 22 Who 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages