Chatting online helps Grand Rapids wo...

Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds

There are 90 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 27, 2007, titled Chatting online helps Grand Rapids woman lose 530 pounds. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Grand Rapids - She says she didn't get her stomach stapled, didn't really diet and didn't exercise much.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Slow news day

Brentwood, TN

#1 Nov 27, 2007
All of us overweight people: we should follow her example, just as we followed Jared's example on Subway.
Slow news day

Brentwood, TN

#2 Nov 27, 2007
Posted elsewhere, but since this thread is actually connected to the story...

I'm not jealous, just suspicious, because for every one person who loses weight just by chatting on the computer (and she is the only one I know of so far), so many more are getting fatter by doing the same thing.

I really think she had to have done a lot more than just that. Where I find flaws with this story is that it credits solely the computer and online chatting.

Of course, she also said that she didn't eat much, and missed meals. Not eating isn't healthy at all, because your metabolism actually slows down even further. Ask any doctor, and they will tell you the same.

So yeah, forgive me if I sound very cynical about this, because it sounds too much like the Jared story and Subway.
Beth

Traverse City, MI

#3 Nov 27, 2007
Until she quits smoking she still isn't doing her health any favors.......
Kim

Spring Lake, MI

#4 Nov 27, 2007
The only reason I think this is somewhat believable is because someone who weighs that much has to eat a LOT, way more than the average person to maintain that weight, so they could miss meals and still be healthy, because they would still be eating, just not as much. If this story is true that's awesome for her to do that without having surgery.
Ash

Allegan, MI

#5 Nov 27, 2007
I wonder who was watching her kids while she blocked out reality 12-13 hours per day....This article isn't news, it's gossip.
just observing

United States

#6 Nov 27, 2007
Congrats to her! Seems like now-a-days, obese people take the easy way out with the ultra expensive & super invasive stomach stapling surgery. Instead of getting themselves out of the mess they, themselves, created, they opt for major surgery- usually on their (and ours!) insurance's dime.

However, a red flag was raised, at least to me, when watching this story. It is obvious that she has a problem with addictions. Addiction to food turned to addiction to the internet (Hello- spending nearly every waking minute chatting, even forgetting to eat?!) and in them midst of it you can tell she is quite addicted to cigarettes. Nearly every picture she had showed a cigarette hanging from her mouth- the news broadcast even shows her grabbing her pack of cigarettes. Not to mention the wrinkles around her mouth, her raspy voice, etc.

Perhaps she should really look into the idea of having an addictive personality. Maybe then she wont find herself in such a bad situation again... what if next time its alcohol or drugs? And those cigarettes- She has taken so many steps to becoming healthy.. she should take the final stuff and kick that dangerous, nasty addiction.

Regardless, congrats on the weight loss to her!!! I hope she keeps up the good work!

Since: Oct 07

Louisville, CO

#7 Nov 27, 2007
Congratulations to her. Great Job!!
stephanie carpenter

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Nov 27, 2007
This is my cousin and I cant believe how good she looks now. I think if I saw her on the streets I would not even realize it would be her. She has done a wonderful job. I am so proud of her. Luv ya Nancy

stephanie
stephanie carpenter

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Nov 27, 2007
even though she is smoking she still has done a great job. and I think everyone should be proud of her. losing the weight is a step in the right direction
Misty

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Nov 27, 2007
I'm glad to hear thats what worked for her but I wouldn't suggest it for anyone/everyone. Some have a tendency to sit at the computer and eat all the time!! For smokers it's easy because they sit at the computer and smoke and don't notice their not eatting.
omg

Granbury, TX

#11 Nov 27, 2007
Congratulations,girl good job.also would like to talk with you??? you give all us hope
omg

Granbury, TX

#12 Nov 27, 2007
Kim wrote:
The only reason I think this is somewhat believable is because someone who weighs that much has to eat a LOT, way more than the average person to maintain that weight, so they could miss meals and still be healthy, because they would still be eating, just not as much. If this story is true that's awesome for her to do that without having surgery.
you do not have to eat alot to be fat,
congrats

Middleville, MI

#15 Nov 27, 2007
Everyone has their own niche when it comes to weight loss. Myself, I have lost weight by skipping meals, or reducing the size of them. That with exercise and eating better things all helps. I smoke too, but you know, if she enjoys it than so be it. What's the sense in living life if you can't do the things you enjoy? Not everyone want's to live till their 90, peeing in Depends and being spoonfed anyway.

Awesome job! Love your jewelry Nancy ;-)
Lisa

Greenville, MI

#16 Nov 27, 2007
Congrats to her! What a wonderful job she has done.

And to "Just Observing", obviously you do not know anyone that has had weight loss surgery. It is not the easy way out. Those people still have to diet and exercise to lose weight. They are given a "tool" to help them control their hunger. I don't think it matters how anyone loses weight..........they are much healthier because of it. So whether it takes diet pills, surgery or just good old fashioned calorie control and exercise, congrats to all that beat the battle of the bulge!
hothead redhead

United States

#17 Nov 27, 2007
That's great she lost the weight. Yes it would be good if she didn't smoke either but c'mon, we all have our vices. Mine's coffee!

Just a note of curiosity about the hugh amount of time spent online. How does she support herself financially and also find time for family and such. Yes, that's none of my business but that doesn't stop me from wondering if my tax dollars are supporting her.
just observing

United States

#18 Nov 27, 2007
Lisa

Actually I do know several people who have had that surgery. I am a slender woman- but I am not this way by chance. Even with children and working full time, I work out every day, watch what I eat, and try to make myself as healthy as possible. I am not a stickler- I enjoy life- but I know when to say enough is enough.

The people I knew who had the surgery, though they are good, nice people, never seemed to understand (or even care) that living healthy is not a short term thing. You eat well, you excercise, you do what you can to live healthy. For these people, a diet that lasted 2 weeks, or a couple months, should have 'done the trick'. When they pakc the wieght back on, it becomes a genetic thing, or an excuse to just give up even trying. They neglected to even hear that healthy habits are a life-time thing. If I could have a dollar for every time someone looks me in the eye and says 'you are so skinny- you are so lucky'. Well, its not luck- its work. Obese people seem to think that being slim or even average is luck, or genetic. They neglect to realize that, even if parially genetic, it is work. Which is something they typically dont want to do for the long term. Work at controlling what they put in their mouth, work in how they excercise their bodies, etc.

So yes, I do know people who have had this surgery. And yes, for each one of them it was the 'easy way out', in my opinion.
Sharon

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Nov 27, 2007
I would like to express my disappointment with the introduction given by Juliet Dragos in which she said that this woman "did not diet and didn't really exercise". How is drastically changing the amount of food you eat not a diet? It sounds like this woman made very different choices in her food amounts. I see this kind of reporting as irresponsible as it gives the impression that, yet again, there is an easy, simple solution to weight loss and you don't have to even make any changes.
Taxpayer

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Nov 27, 2007
I don't think this is as big of a deal as it's being made. Appearing on Oprah for being a tuned-out mother who just sits at a computer for half of the day?!? Sure, let's make her a celebrity. How long before she's on a reality show? Did she work, or did she collect "disability" while being so heavy? I don't think most people who are spending half of the day online are losing weight. They're losing jobs, marriages and possibly, their lives. This isn't a news story to celebrate.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

#21 Nov 27, 2007
I kind of feel the same way as a lot of people commenting. Here are some issues I had problems with upon seeing this story:

- She says she was on the internet for 12-14 hours a day. How was she supporting herself?

- I see pics of her with young children. Are these her children? And what was being done with them, considering she was so engrossed with the net she failed to eat?

- I hope now that she is weight-wise healthier, she is able to give her lungs a break.

Still, I must say great job for losing the weight on your own!
EmmaRae

Caledonia, MI

#22 Nov 27, 2007
Hats off to this lady..... Good job ...... She deserves to toot her own horn.

Just curious Taxpayer said "Appearing on Oprah for being a tuned-out mother who just sits at a computer for half of the day"

I read that she was divorced, but I havn't read anywhere that she had children. I feel it is unfair to call her that if you don't know if she has kids or not, the children in the photos could be nieces and newphews, even if it was her child the photo's do appear to be older the kid could be 25 to 30 years old and on their own.

Anyways great job and I can't wait to see the Ophra show and I hope she buys her a new wardrobe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trump has no chance 3 hr Sneaky Pete 13
News Muskegon YMCA revokes memberships of registered... (Nov '07) 15 hr Ddotl3038 66
News Booming again: West Michigan's economy is on a ... Wed Disco Stu 37
Poor Little Patriots Wed Joe Balls 25
News Why micro loans might be key to growing black-o... Tue Oh No You Di-nt 1
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jun 27 Carly 2,652
Brexit is America's advantage Jun 27 RushFan666 3

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages