College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

Full story: Detroit Free Press

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.
Comments
121 - 140 of 1,274 Comments Last updated Monday

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

That's how i approach it all...also...Just as i thought, did you see the end of the Saints-Patriots game....Brady and Brees are both a blessing to watch....i thought Jax really gave Broncos a game, for likely the worst team.....Watched RG III run around too much, last night...i fear his career will be short.....Colts-Chargers tonite is a kinda early Halloween treat, eh?....lol....I should tell you....by dad is turning 83 on the 27th....he is far rightwing....i printed the Forbe's article about Obama's lite spending....i laugh, just thinking about it...lol...something, he would'nt find...on his own....lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Watching Brees and Brady shoot it out was great ...those two put on quite a show, I admire Brady even though he has killed us about 20 times...Having thrown the pick on the previous drive you knew if he got the ball back the Pats would win...
RG III will have a short career unless he takes away a big piece of his game and plays from the pocket.
When I see Luck play he does remind me a bit of Peyton...I think he may end up almost as good... Rivers was a favorite but I don't know if the reason the Chargers have alway been a disappointment is him or the team.
You had to have 'fun' with your dad being a right winger.
I followed in my Grand fathers footsteps, he was a 'liberal' Republican and was active in the local GOP. So I volunteered. He has attempted to become an Anderson delegate in '80. When Reagan ran the first purge in 1980 it broke his heart...he left the party before I did. His two sons are right wingers one is a deacon and 'opus dei' which is as conservative as it gets. he is impossible to communicate with

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

I've never cared for Rivers and have alway's thought of the Chargers as waayy over-rated and underachievers....and though i like the Raiders and 49ers....my feelings might be influenced by spending summers in SoCal growing up, then going there on vacation and seeing it all turn to sh*t.....lol.....I loved Lance Alworth...lol...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

the Chargers were a favorite growing up I never missed their visits as a kid. John Hadl throwing to Alworth and Gary Garrison. Even with Fouts throwing to that collection of receivers...the Chargers were always fun to watch. Rivers isn't quite the quarterback that the other two were. Your right about them being over rated they won the division with 8-8 or 9-7 every year ...or so it seems.
When we mention those old AFL guys it is a drive down memory lane for me...We were regulars at the 'Rock pile'. One of my all time favorites Daryl Lamonica...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah, i started paying attention, during the mid 60's and their were two seperate leagues....i became a Raiders and Bears fan, and that still exists, just not as passionately.....I loved those older AFL players....Buck Buchanan, George Atkinson.....George Belityniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiii....sorry, my naptime....too much weeding...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

I just woke from my after lunch nod....
Have Derek Trucks on in the back ground
Earlier one of the ESPN's was replaying some highlights of Michigan and Penn State.
Two things crossed my mind first that game was quite a big step for Penn State the coach needed a big' win also Michigan's quarterback seems to have settled in a bit more than he was earlier in the year if he had played the way he had at Connecticut the game wouldn't have been close.
That kid the Bills had put in played great but hurt his foot they are bringing in Flynn for a try out. After Manuel got hurt in the preseason I was surprised to see them keep only two rookie quarterbacks

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Manuel is thee guy, don't you agree? They are on the right path, it's just that everyone has an only 1/32 chance at the big show.....your a realest.....Joe Namath used to live down here in Jupiter....used to come into where i worked, a really funny and normal guy....cute kids....often drove a old Caddy convertible, beat to sh*t and with this long whip antenna...tied down to the front...totally Alabama...lol...HBO has a documentary about him....i was too young to realize, at Alabama he was an outrageous running Qb.....amazing person.....i do remember in 1968-69 i think, he passed for 4,000 yards in 14 reg season games, and i thought...No one will ever touch that...lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

I have seen films of the young Joe Namath...The Joe I saw had already had multiple surguries. Even when Joe was almost immobile he was still effective, I always thought of him to be a savy intellegent quarterback like Bart Starr and Len Dawson, then I saw those films..
I also remember that Super Bowl. We watched it at my Grand parents, all the aunts and uncles where there, once it was apparent that the Jets could play with the Colts the cheering got really loud. All AFL people felt that it was their win.
I like where the Bills are going they seem to have the coach and quarterback they will need they need a few more players a couple WR and CB and they could be pretty good

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

I was alway's a fan of Don Shula, having moved back down here in 1970....i alway's thought, that Superbowl loss was his worst...the Colts on paper were way better...but, it's good and even fascinating, that they have to play the game....lol...or something...lol...Marino reminded me of Namath a bit, with his fast release and his limited mobility after his achilles.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Don Shla and the Dolphins...still fighting words around here
'God i hate the Dolphins' bumperstickers..
20 straight losses...
When Roosvelt Leaks scored to give us a 10-7 4th quarter lead me my brother and 80,000 of our friends knew the script... Miami would take the ball drive it down and score as the clock ran out...Taking the ball back and and having Joe Cribbs seal the deal...That was incredible...down go the goalposts. my brother and I were still there an hour later... it took days for the grin to fade .
I have never seen so many happy people in my iife was far better than the championship game vs. the Raiders before the first of our Super Bowl losses. That was a blowout. The temperature at kick off was -3... the Raiders couldn't cope with that.
I could see a little Marino in Namath as well, Marino may have been a better thrower...Joe was a better quarterback

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:

I like where the Bills are going they seem to have the coach and quarterback they will need they need a few more players a couple WR and CB and they could be pretty good
One thing that really bothers me in football is thugs and gangsta's....don't know his name, but i saw a Bills game last year, and a WR stood out as a total assh*le....do you know who i am talking about?.....Like DeSean Jackson ? of the Eagles....i saw a film, before that draft, where DeSean's uncle came on and said, that though he had been a problem at Cal.....he was turning over a new leaf....lol....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Its steve Johnson a multiple offender he is a very good receiver. But he hurts his teams at times. Was is Elmo Wright who has the first touchdown dancing fool. I am sick of it too. Remember Chuck Foreman. score the touchdown, hand the ball to the ref line up for the extra point. Like scoring was just part of his job.
I forget who it was but I saw a guy get an excessive celebration penalty when his team was down by 30 points or so.
Have you no shame.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

I liked when then just threw it down, behind the shoulder.....i recall, back in the Lombardi years, they would just set it down or toss it to the referee...lol...With the current crime trends, we are probably lucky that there isn't more Steve Johnsons....BTW, on MNF's pregame, i am really tired of Keyshawn too(Ray Lewis should be in that seat).....but, the rest are great....especially, C'mon Man...lol...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
I liked when then just threw it down, behind the shoulder.....i recall, back in the Lombardi years, they would just set it down or toss it to the referee...lol...With the current crime trends, we are probably lucky that there isn't more Steve Johnsons....BTW, on MNF's pregame, i am really tired of Keyshawn too(Ray Lewis should be in that seat).....but, the rest are great....especially, C'mon Man...lol...
i am no Keyshon fan nor a Ray Lewis fan Jackson and Carter ( except for the eye brows) are pretty good .
I like Tyrico a lot I think he is as good a play by play as there is. There are better commentators than Coach Gruden. Every once in a while he has trouble finishing thoughts.

Should have used my AARP card when me and the wife went to lunch at Denny's.....

Imagine how many Steve Johnson's we would have....
Remember the Redskins 'fun bunch'...every team would have some team dance.
or...The Cowboys Butch Johnson....The Oilers 'White shoes ' Johnson.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

I caught most of the replay of Bengals-Bills, on NFL channel today...tough loss, but i think the Bengals are on their way....they were on HBO's Hard Knocks this summer, and i think their Def Coordinator Mike Zimmer is gonna be a headcoach soon.....They have this huge, missing link D-lineman from Estonia, #99 i think..but i did'nt see him play....Bill's LB Alonzo is the real deal, but needs to beef up.....Dolphins had a great one briefly, John Offerdahl, but his body could'nt take the punishment.....Alonzo's like a junior Luke Keuchley from the Carolina.....Wife works late tonight, we have Burger King coupons, that came in the Sunday paper....Every once and awhile, i don't mind laying down the green, for the little lady...lol...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
I caught most of the replay of Bengals-Bills, on NFL channel today...tough loss, but i think the Bengals are on their way....they were on HBO's Hard Knocks this summer, and i think their Def Coordinator Mike Zimmer is gonna be a headcoach soon.....They have this huge, missing link D-lineman from Estonia,#99 i think..but i did'nt see him play....Bill's LB Alonzo is the real deal, but needs to beef up.....Dolphins had a great one briefly, John Offerdahl, but his body could'nt take the punishment.....Alonzo's like a junior Luke Keuchley from the Carolina.....Wife works late tonight, we have Burger King coupons, that came in the Sunday paper....Every once and awhile, i don't mind laying down the green, for the little lady...lol...
Denny's ..or...Burger King ...either way it just screams I love you honey....I am sure you look at it like I do...With the AARP discount...she's worth every penny...
Alonzo reminds me of a guy who was a terror at Texas A&M and played for the Cowboys for a few seasons before the wear and tear wiped out his undersized body.. Dat Nguyn His parents came over as refugee's from Viet Nam...The guy worked is butt off in class and on the field... a class deal
The Bengals have been on their way for years...They always seen to be just a player or two short like the Phiadelphia Eagles
Seen in todays paper irrefutable proof that the laws of the universe are out of wack
Buffalo is favored by 20 over UMass

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

I recall watching Nguyn...being fascinated at a Vietnamese that big....i have been over there, and that is a rarity.....We've now introduced beef and more protein into their diets, part of the americanization effect....plus, he was growing up here...next to a Carl's Jr....lol....I'm interested to see if Von Miller can play full speed, in Indy.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Dat was a fearless tackling machine. I loved his style every team needs a guys like that , setting the example on the field.
Another couple guys who fit that profile were Jamie Duncan Vanderbilt\ Tampa Bay
And darryl Talley from the Bills....Great effort and leadership.
Von Miller ....like all the guys who fail a piss test...I would like to know the contents of that sample...steriods?...Cocaine?. ..a trace amount of weed?....a masking agent?
For some reason I find Ricky Williams more forgivable than Sammy Sosa and McGuire.
When he wanted to play Ricky was a beast. maybe the best that ever played...There was a game up here in December when Ricky was a dolphin he went for over 200 in about 35 carries by the time the 4th quarter rolled around Ricky had beaten the sh*t out of a very good Bills defense. one guy made eleven say 'no mas' best game by a running back i have seen.
Don't forget i seen a lot of O.J.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

What's with marijuana being a banned substance, at all?.....Wonder how they can justify that with the Seahawks and Broncos....States that have decriminalized pot?......Yeah, Ricky was an innocent, next to say...A-Rod....I recall Hershel Walker and Earl Campbell having much the same careers.....Walter Peyton, Billy Simms and Gayle Sayers were the most gymnastic i have ever seen....OJ was outrageous, still incrediblt to think, he did what he did.....I loved watching Bo Jackson too....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
What's with marijuana being a banned substance, at all?.....Wonder how they can justify that with the Seahawks and Broncos....States that have decriminalized pot?......Yeah, Ricky was an innocent, next to say...A-Rod....I recall Hershel Walker and Earl Campbell having much the same careers.....Walter Peyton, Billy Simms and Gayle Sayers were the most gymnastic i have ever seen....OJ was outrageous, still incrediblt to think, he did what he did.....I loved watching Bo Jackson too....
Also it shouldn't matter if you are a marijuana fan, medically use marijuana are opposed (or if #1 & 2 have at some point applied)....There is no way that marijuana is a Performance enhancing drug. If the 30 in 30 ESPN show on Ricky was accurate, he was if anything handicapping himself, He was nearly always stoned....Campbell was Ricky's equal as far as being physical....Hershel had the same skill set but was apparently Mr. Clean...I heard he never lift weights. Bo was a marvel...A couple more that deserve mention...Thurman Thomas... John Brockington and ...Eric Dickerson.
Teams can win a Super Bowl with so\so quarterbacking but it's rare that a team without a good running game goes anywhere in the playoffs

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 9 min Dr X 796
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 1
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 3 hr Shes awful 79
When will the poledancer grow a set? 5 hr Jim 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) 12 hr Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) Tue JACK 216
•••
•••