College football roundup: Ohio State ...

College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

There are 2078 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Aug 30, 2013, titled College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#1000 May 9, 2014
Clowney goes off first and i have to agree with the pick. Guys with that kind of physical ability come one per decadeMario williams, Peppers. Bruce Smith. Mack to Oakland...I was hoping the raiders would have picked any other player...Was hoping for Tampa or Atlanta....THe Bills moving up to take Watkins....good trade good pick, the talkers on ESPN specuulted the rhee Bill woud get ride of Stevie Johnson...I keep him , betweeen him and Mike Williams one might get injured or suspended... Bill Veeeck jr. is an American icon...You remember disco demolition night...Veeck out at pitchers mound trying to quell the riot by singing "take me out to the ball park"....At that last Bills game in the Rockpile there wasn't even a sing a long by Ralph...too bad was thhe only thhing missing was even a large bonfire roaring in the endzone ,chased me from my seat late 4th Q....and they played on...Eddie Gaedel had one at bat for the St. Louis Browns...4 pitch walk...Also on the St.Louis Browns was a one armed 1st base\ outfielder Pete Gray who was a well used back up..i believe he had a lifetime btting average of .220 lots of two armed Browns were worse...Bruins survived the war... in game 5 we see how big the Canadians will to win is....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1001 May 9, 2014
Sorry, but i can't believe the Bills traded next years first and fourth to move up, what?....four places?....They may regret that next draft....Watkins has to be Superman....When they announced the trade, i thought...Bull must be stoked...They are gonna get Kahlil Mack....Hope for you, they did the right thing.....They are probably just waiting for Stevie Johnson's next f-ckup.....I Do think Watkins is a special talent.....Yeah, Raiders get Mack, and they need all the help they can get.....Could'nt believe i turned to Bruins, just minutes before that kid scored the overtime goal....Looks like the Ducks woke up, too.....Browns got a deal with Manzeil at 22nd pick....Bears got a good cornerback and the Finns took a tackle, nobody knows...lol...Did you think the Bills were going after Mack, when they traded those picks?

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1002 May 9, 2014
The bills more or less indicated that they would trade up only for Watkins...What the GM did was bet the limit on making the playoffs..NOW...and i think that he is right in is assumption, the missing bit is offensive combustablity... True...the Browns got more out of tthe deal but if you get what you want ,, it still is a fair deal...they get Johnny football another guy..(CB GIlbert Ok. St..?) they also add that pick next year...I knew deep down the Bills would not take Mack...so when the trade came through and Watkins was on the board... yyou knew that was where they would go...Mack wwould have been devastating on the edge opposite Mario Williams...But the tem was prettty decent in pass rush so it wasn't a screaming need... Putting points on the board was the big need and this pick is in essence doubling down on EJ Manuel...If you have doubts about EJ then you dont go for a weapon you then go O-line or D...But if you believe in Manuel you give him the toools..even if they are expensive... If Watkins is good and Stevie Johnson and Mike Williams play the Bills will have the best WR corps...in the division... maybe one of the top 2 or 3 in the NFL...If EJ can't put up poiints now...both trades unravel...Sabres finish last in the league by a mile...season tix sales are up, 16,000 and counting

Location hidden

#1003 May 9, 2014
You must be right about the Bills...If i was a GM though, i would be hard pressed to give up that much of the future to move up, what 4 places?...Especially in a Receiver-rich draft, but i don't hear the talking heads criticizing that trade....so?.....I would thought that your fans woulda been going nuts for Mack.....Surrounding EJ makes alotta sense, as i think he is the real deal....State of FL had the most guys. 8 in the 1st round.....Rams chose the best, i thought....two road graders, one on D and one an O'lineman....I think Fisher is a good coach.....Tough division, tho.....Raiders got lucky that Mack fell to them, since they are known for quality picks....lol.....Wanna see who gets the LB Van Noy from BYU( I get the same draft vibe about him, that i did with Seattle's Qb)...also that huge Buckeye RB....Heat and Spurs are just stomping their 2nd round guys----maybe we should just start the finals....lol.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1004 May 9, 2014
The talking head seem to believe that Watkins is heads and shoulders above the rest.. Ray Lewis said best player in the draft....If so a good trade....But Whaley the GM just traded Stevie Johnson to S.F. for a 2015 draft pick...He must have more faith in Mike Williams behaving...not becoming a cancer then i do....When Williams was signed radio sports babble had a guy call.. claimed he was a cop who was in Riverside when Williams was a kid.. "the only person who spent more time in the back of my car was my first girl friend"... or words to that effect.. everyone seems to believe he will f*ck up
Team USA just trashed BelaRus in the opening game of the world championships, this year held in glorious Minsk...I know these teams are made from NHL teams who failed to make the playoffs and by the KHL but the Canadians will gag...France beat them...call it schadenfreude... but i am happy. Rams did well and so did the Browns, considering the pick in '15 they may have had the best day..
What Whaley did was a gamble ...but it was calculated not just a desperate shot in the dark, but unless it is a salary cap issue, i would have kept Johnson pain in the ass he is

Location hidden

#1005 May 9, 2014
Guess you won't see Stevie anymo.....Bills got back their 2015 4th round pick, though more like 5th, since it is the 49ers, eh?....Why would Harbaugh take a chance on team chemistry, huh? He already has Crabtree, who is supposed to be a A-hole.....Too bad there is such a thin line between criminal/thug and barely acceptable....I saw a bit of the Team USA game, but could'nt figure out what it was......Bridgewater was a questionable pick for the Vikings....especially since they play outside, the next two seasons, while their stadium is built....Cleveland and Minnesota are scary places to play, for Qb's without very strong arms....Ever been to Minnesota?....Ever see Fargo?...lol....Hope the Bears-Raiders-Dolphins get Van Noy.....Mack is down here today, and on the local news with his local family....Did you see how huge, those first three tackles were....Bruce Matthews was there, what great genes.....he only started for 19 years....lol...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1006 May 9, 2014
The Vikings have zip at QB...Ponder has failed... not all his fault...Bridgewater was best qb so it works..Carr to the Raiders is a greeat fit....Pouncy and his twitter....loooking into the fins pick...i couldn't find anyone who rated him better than a third rd pick...Bills picked up Kouandjo from Alabama he has medical issues.so Whaley took a second risk....Them boys are big these days... In our day 300 # players were rare ...in the USA today guide only 1 of the 30 something offensive linemen that they ranked was less than 300....Van Noy in detroit is pretty good for him...he will play behind a great d- line
Rangers drilled the Pens...The Penguins look like they are a bit frustrated ..lots of nasty stuff in that game... Minn is up on Chicago going into the 3rd...

Location hidden

#1007 May 10, 2014
Garappolo to the Patriot's is puzzling...the GQ of the NFL...lol...My point on Bridgewater is just that he and Manzeil have'nt the strongest arms....and outside in Minny, Chicago, Cleveland and even Buffalo...aren't good places for weak arms.....Pouncy tweeted something about wanting gifts from the Dolphin's pick...Not hard to tell that Fin's still have an asshole problem...His Twitter account was closed....Know what you mean about size, i recall Deirdorf at 300....and Fridge was such an oddity, eh?....Growing up in the midwest, the Lion's were always a team, where players were never seen again...lol...i really wanted somebody good to get Van Noy....Alway's loved Lion's Hawaiian Blue jerseys, though...At least we can see him on Thanksgiving.....49er's got that big RB from Ohio State.....Wild won, so i am hoping they play Sunday in Chicago.....Even though they lost, did you see Malkin's goal...he is truly exceptional....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1008 May 10, 2014
Malkin was the only Penguin who bothered to show up...That goal was special and he played like a raging bull....Crosby play like a whiney brat... When a guy is constantly carping at the ref he is begging for help...The Canadians v. Bruins tonight...I know what you mean about detroit being a graveyard for players...The Bills have been that on and off for most of their existence...we have had some good runs with Lou Saban in the 1960s Chuck Knox in the 1970,s and Marv Levy's great teams...In between those good teams is an awful lot of so-so teams...But that said Detroit is an excellent place for Van Noy...there are some good players left wonder where AJ McCarron will go also where (if) Oliver and Nuetz will get picked...My picks for the "last day bargains' Max Bullough from Michigan st. is still on the board.. and Bo Oliver last i'll pick Alex Bayer TE bowling green...He killed us in the game for the division title last season

Location hidden

#1009 May 10, 2014
Alway's thought the Penguins were kinda underachievers....The Panthers down herte, haven't been very good for a longtime....Like the Marlins, but they have won it all, and againest the Yankees....then there is the Cubs?......This is gonna age me, but as a kid i was a big fan of Dick Labeau, a HOF DB for the Lions....alway's thought he missed out on recognition, because of how perennially bad they were....Like, Paper Lion......I think McCarron should be mentored by Cutler with the Bears...plus the Bears lost McGown to Tampa Bay.....Bo Oliver could be a special teams/Wes Welker-type....Max Bullough should be a Bear, too....lol....Hope someone drafts Jeremy Gallon.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1010 May 10, 2014
Dick Labeau was a coach here i remember him as a player vaugely... Some of those Detroit Lions did get the short end of the stick recognition wise...Lem Barney, Mel Farr and Charlie Saunders the TE come to mind..Those teams were always buried in the back of a great division with the Packers Vikings and Bears..Put them in an easier division and they would havve been mmore memorable... The memory that dates me is the QB rivalry between Daryle Lamonica and Jack Kemp...I recall Lou Saban starting Lamonicca in the last game of 1965....Saban let the media run with the speculation and on the day of the AFL Championship game..Kemp started...After the next season Lamonica was traded for an old football and two left cleats...McCarron to the bears works Boullough seems like a bears kind off a guy...Couple of Baylor guys that could be worth while Lache Sistrunk RB and Cyrus Richardson a planet sized guard...Mntreal v. Boston should be good it don't look as if the Canadians are done yet...

Location hidden

#1011 May 10, 2014
Don't know if LB Joe Schmidt ever made the Hall....The fact that Alex Karras died without making it is something i will never forgive the NFL for....If you ever see film, you'd see how dominate he was....Guess you know, there is alotta politics about the HOF, and studying the Lions and Raiders proves it....The quarterback battle, i recall best is Craig Morton and Roger Staubach, as my 1st wife was like Morton's 2nd cousin or some such.....I got to meet Gale Sayres and a Bears guard growing up,,,also Butkus at O'Hara...all he did was shake my hand quick and growl something....He is still the best LB, i have ever seen....Had an Indy Car race today on the roadcourse at Indianapolis...Horrid crash on the rarely seen, Standing Start....Pole sitter's car stalled.....Love some of the stories that come outta the draft...the one about the Oregon kid that the Eagles drafted, that had such a awful druggy mother that almost killed him, as a child....how him and the Eagles coach are so tight....Good stuff.....Or the Penn State guard that got one Masters in Math and almost another and was actually, his senior year...teahing two classes....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1012 May 11, 2014
Looked up Schmidt he is in the hall of fame ...his problem was being in the same division as Butkus and Nitschke....two of the best all time in the middle...Schmidt was a 7th round pick....your meet up with Butkus in the airport reminded me of a meeting with Cornelius Bennett..in the Buffalo airport waiting for my moms plane to land... I said "hey Biscuit" and held out my hand, he lowered his shades slapped my extended hand..said something like atta boy and walked on...On my second day guys the Baylor guys were picked up Richardson is coming to Buffalo 5th rd. he is 6'6 340..Sistrunk goes to Washington this guy was averaging more than 9.0 per carry before he was injured . The TE and Bullough weren't drafted
We got . Seantrell Henderson (ot) a U of Miami product who seems to have some behavior issues know anything about him...The Penn State kid is a Buffalo product..Canisus high....a second or third best area catholic team. Bulls players..Bo Oliver the RB is a free agent signed buy the Colts and Neutz (wr) is also a free agent he is signed by Bengals good luck to both..Is the kid from Oregon the one who was from East St.Louis? Flunked out of school spend a year working in the dome the rams use?

Location hidden

#1013 May 11, 2014
Hard to believe Bullough was'nt drafted....but sometimes that works out for the better....Don't know about that Henderson....My Wolverine, Jeremy Gallon lucked out, getting drafted by New England....Ever tell you, i shook Larry Czonka's hand once....lol....it was like a child's hand, in a grownups...lol....Ever see the "Man Hands" episode of Seinfeld?.....Bo Oliver might make a great scatback for the Colts...Someone so fast and elusive, that Luck can use.....Fascinating if any of those late taken Qb's turn out good....Houston taking Savage late, seems like they knew who they wanted all along....Russel Wilson had a Diamond in the Rough effect, eh?.....Who got McCarron....newprints too damn small.....Wife say's the Pats with Garrappolo have the best looking QB's in the NFL...lol...The kid from Oregon, i only heard about his mom almost killing him, with a 2by4.....Wish me luck, the wife made Hot Wings....i almost died from them , last time.....lol...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1014 May 12, 2014
The Buffalo news said Henderson had been suspended 3 times...And as we know in major college ball it takes some doing to earn a suspension... When you add that to Richardson , Kouandjo and the trade Whaley took a lot of risks during the draft. Savage had been reviewed by the draftnik's as being a higher pick then he was...I have a feeling McCarron will hve a future he went to the Bengals 5th rd. Bullough was injured mysteriously before the Rose Bowl...It was like he fell off the edge of the earth ... I also thougt he was worth a 7th rd pick...I will defer to your wifes scouting when it comes to who is the best looking QB in the NFL...It was the only stat tthat wasn't covered in the draft guides.. I hope that Mrs. Blue was pampered yesterday, her and Mrs. Bull have some of the worlds toughest jobs looking after a couple of dinosauers like us..bless them both....I don't know if we are talking about the same kid...I was certain the kid who flunked out and worked the Rams games...went back to school and was drafted by th Rams

Location hidden

#1015 May 12, 2014
Andy Dalton might become a semi-bust, for the Bengals, especially if he continues to perform poorly in the playoffs, and with their high talent level...Perfect opportunity for McCarron....I was kinda hoping the Bears...Oh well...I thought that part of the Bullough/Rose Bowl story was about something disciplinary....at least i recall, it as part of the game coverage.....Not to be the Devil's advocate...But, am i noticing in the Donald Sterling/Micheal Sam situations....the societal/government/media death of independent thought?....Has non-conformity, been lost as an American freedom? Is it mandatory that we embrace everyone or be forced to adapt to gay men necking on our televisions?.....Hate to sound foxish, but i often get a queasy feeling as to loss of certain freedoms....Am i wrong, in thinking this way?....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1016 May 12, 2014
Non conformity being allowed to be expressed un hampered is rare... the 1950's were a conformist dream...there have been only a few points in time where independent thought is embraced... with the Sam situation the teammates at Missouri had that right...When he was an underclassmen Sam came out of the closet, to his teammates... they yawned and said no big deal.... The media took that and ran with it...making an issue where no issue belonged...The guy who tweeted some dumb sh*t about this being awful is saying...Sam needed to conform... to be accepted... That guy should shut up because he is trying to force a right winged conformity ...Sam wont make the NFL because as a tweener he will never be big enough to play line , fast enough to play LB...You and i need not embrace anything...ANYTHING...we have the choice of what we watch on the Tube who we hang out with... I think that PC goes too far in attempting to pre-screen our statements... but i don't feel forced as much as "they" would hope...reminds me of Larry the Cable guy... " I was against gay marriage until i learned it won't be mandatory...."....I do how ever feel those on the right and left extremes have an interest in shutting each other up and it spills over... they try to recruit us normal middle of the road guys into taking sides... I gladly respect your rights until until you make that mandatory. and want me to use your words in my expressions then rebel...against PC both the left and the right winged versions

Location hidden

#1017 May 12, 2014
Larry the Cable Guy is too funny, and accurate with that joke....My concern is still, where is the tolerance for the intolerant?....Sterling could be the jewish version of Hitler.....Yet the fact remains, that he was brought down by a secretly recorded, private conversation, where he questioned the use of tickets, that HE bought...He never used the "N" word....I'm just saying, that as the days go by, everyone needs to look hard at the attack on free thought and expression.....That case is gonna be in the courts for awhile......It's like the aggrevation i get, everytime the local television news, knowing refuses to describe the race of the suspects, in a violent crime....Be on the lookout for a mid 20's male, 6' and 190 pounds..white t-shirt and jeans,,,.GOOD LUCK....Between PC and Social Engineering, i am afraid reason and common sense are the dear departed.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#1018 May 12, 2014
I am not dis agreeing that the left wing thought police are relentless bastards who are dead wrong in believeing that if you make certain words off limits you can control thought... the same thought remains it is just disguised... The intolerant should be tolerated.. but clearly their intolerance limits them in some fashion... You could not want an overt bigot running the gov't.... unless your a republican that is...but there is a world of difference bettween that and some old fool being flogged in public...There is a big differencee between some guy who's faith says homo's are sinners, thus he states his case then shuns them and that same guy saying that queers can't play football or worse actively preventing them from playing...
Having agred with on most i need to redraw a thick line ... I have a feeling some folks overreact to a lot of stuff.. trutth is there are no perfect ways of dealing with race...but i know ugly when i see it hear it or occasionally think it

Location hidden

#1019 May 12, 2014
Absolutely, you are correct in some folks overreact....often a mob mentality, even media supported....the agendas, in differing forms are alive and well on all sides....Guess Mel and whoever have been having this "Who Had The Best Draft Tournament" on ESPN....49ers won...but Chargers, Dolphins and Green Bay were highly rated....Harbaugh is high strung as hell, but has learned well, how to build a great program....Jeff Ireland, the GM kicked outta Miami....is one of Harbaugh's draft guys....They found out that the Finns had the most players actually play, from the last 3 drafts....Ireland's ejection possibly premature, eh?....Cheifs taking a Qb, may mean that Andy Reid isn't completely satisfied with Alex Smith....Kinda looking forward to exhibitions, if i can remember whose who.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paid Protestors In Ferganistan 4 hr Gville Jim 2
News GRPD officer fired regarding standoff (Feb '08) 12 hr deltagold 150
News New chiropractic tool treats back pain without ... (Apr '08) Thu Chiropractor From... 239
News Black Bear Spotted In Hartford Thu Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu BBQ dave 2,374
News 2014 Mini Cooper - Small Wheelbase, Long Legs May 27 Go Blue Forever 1
News Want the city to pay for your pothole damage? (Mar '08) May 25 Oneal 56
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]