College football roundup: Ohio State ...

College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

There are 2625 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Aug 30, 2013, titled College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

Peter

Jenison, MI

#490 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Sure did my heart good...to see them smashed in both the Big-10 Championship and losing to Clemson in the Orange Bowl.....Loved the Spartans in the Rose Bowl.....
Can't argue with results. The Spartans did it on the field when it counted. Dantonio is suddenly one of the most brilliant football minds in the game!
I'll return to rooting for them to lose no matter who they play next year except Ohio State and possibly Notre Dame.

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#491 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Did you know that Johnny Football actually had better numbers, this season?....They just did'nt beat Alabama....I vote him a Boom, not Bust.....You are correct that one more year of maturation, would'nt do Winston any harm, depending on his famalie's economic situation....I like the variation on the East German sports deal.....Like Russell Wilson's sperm mixed with Nadia Comenechi's eggs.....the combinations are infinite.....Mein Herr.....Ober Fuhrer Blue signing out....
Your German made me pop Richard Wagner's 'Gotterdammerung' in the disc player...real opera the fat lady with the viking horned cap an a spear...akes me wanna shout...ach der liben, das ist gut
Here is what I think they should do for Winstons family...financially...Reall is time the the NCAA and the NFL admit the obvious truth...NCAA football is the NFL's minor leagues...The players should some pocket change... after all they generate sick $$$...Guys who are obvious future picks sould even be able to borrow against thier future first contract...
I think Johnny Football will make a good pro...a cross between Flutie and Farve....His carrer could be short...
Das ist alle...gutten aben

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#492 Jan 7, 2014
Check it out....Sabres games getting postponed don't happen everyday.....i will be putting a log on the fire for you, tonight.....Must be pretty bad up there?.....trying to pull off watching Michigan State vs. Ohio State hoops tonight......but i may lose out to the wife, with Buying Alaska.....Jamies ain't going nowhere i guess....have to be a sophmore to declare.....I'm anxious for Gruden's Qb show....See what he thinks of the UCF kid....he may be a steal, ALA Russel Wilson.....Guess they are saying that Texas put the hard press on Jon Gruden, for the HC job.....Some powerful alumni aren't happy with Strong.....Talking about the greedy NCAA....Did you ever see the special on how theiving the Bowls are to schools and funnel outrageous pay to the corrupt management?....I am about to go off on corporate greed an a thread.....lol.....my fave rant....

Buffalo, NY

#493 Jan 8, 2014
Strong is a great pick...some people in Texas have sureal expectations...I think Gruden likes retirement but also loves the flattery of being asked if he wants every available job...If the Horns had signed Nick Sabin there would be someone who would be upset because they wanted Jimmy Johnson..and if Johnson had signed on someone would be upset because they didn't try to bring Tom Landry back from the dead...There are times when Bevo is brighter than a majority of the Texas alumni
This is the worst weather we have had in a couple of years. In the city we have gotten maybe 6-8 inches...Those people in the path of the storm and the lake effect snow fall it kicked up got pasted...
I agree that Bortals will make a good pro...He has all the tools...I was very impressed with his accuracy on the move
I have read a few stories on the corporate greed that is behind the bowls...I think it was the Fiesta bowl that was the subject of the articles

Location hidden

#494 Jan 8, 2014
Yeah, i think Strong is likely a good pick....sadly, i would hate to think that some of their reluctance may be racial, after all Texas is still kinda in the Confederacy......I see on TV, that it is really bad by you.....just stay in, if you can.....Much as i respect Jon Gruden, he is likely a wealthy man, having fun on MNF and running his quarterback camp and draft show....the NFL job is grinding, 80-90 hour a weeks, super-stressful....Just like what i have said about, if a coach has a great college job, great atmosphere...why would he jump into the NFL meat grinder head coaching job?...lol.... Jay Gruden, is Jon's younger brother and i think he is probably gonna get a new job.....he was real success, also in Arena football......Watched some of Michigan States win over previously unbeaten Ohio State lastnight.....but, they gave up a 17 point lead, and finally won in overtime....Tom Isso's news conference at the top of EPSN's Sportscenter is priceless......

Buffalo, NY

#495 Jan 8, 2014
I don't think that it's a racial thing with Texas and some people not liking Strong...With these people football is religeon and Austin is Mecca...I think they believe that this is the best job in football ...They believe that all they should have to do is ask nice and Vince Lombardi will make a comeback...The same mind frame exists at most the big time powers.
You're right about Jon Gruden...He has had a dozen offers since he retired...That 24\7 thing would keep me away...But I would like to be a scout...Pick a differnt game or two to attend each week ...watching as much ball as I do I am Qualified
I am staying in and I havent moved a shovelful of snow...This is cool when the only time i'm in it is when i take the dog out in the morning...I can handle it

Location hidden

#496 Jan 9, 2014
Red whats his name, the wealthy supporter that spoke out againest Strong.....dipped into racism several times in his rant....and, my having grown up with some fairly racist elders....understand without agreeing......don't know if you are i have ever discussed that in my state it has been proven that children dying from abuse and the negligence of our State Child and Family Services employees dropping the ball on visits to problem families......many of those were given funding and affirmative action, propelling them through education and hiring....into jobs they are totally unwilling or unable to perform the task, partially leading to dropping the ball on the protection of children in peril....i grew up around the time of white drinking fountains and stuff, so i might see it quicker...maybe?.........this is the end result of just one element or result of our spending trillions on poverty and social engineering.......has nothing to do with the Texas job, yet explains that , even the evil bigots, often have some valid points.....BTW, Alabama has yet to have a black head coach, right?.....Much as i try like hell, to be more racially open, than my father.....in this county, blacks represent 13 percent of our population, and are responsible for 47 percent of violent crime......even i can't ignore that..........About Jon Gruden, he is kinda a scout for fans and ESPN.....Have you ever seen the 30 minute, pre-draft shows that he does on individual QB's?......You could tell immediately that he knew Russell Wilson was a real find.....imagine if Buffalo had drafted him in the 3rd round.?.....or Miami?.....I love his show.....Penn State should look at Matt Millen......Mike Munchak......Hate if they hire Al Golden, away from Miami.....not sure if that is an upgrade.....

Buffalo, NY

#497 Jan 9, 2014
I know that I had told you about growing up in a housing project having an older black couple as nieghbors...MLK is killed and I go over to thier house and see how deeply it effected them...Then we were at a family function...and a drunk uncle telling a dumb joke over and over un challanged by an adult..."The King is death..yuk yuk long live the king"...that was the first time a saw racism up close and ugly...When we got back home I went next dooor ...I felt I had to ..because now I understood...I wasn't silent the next time...or the many times after...I still see that Uncle, bloods thicker than hate... as long as he keeps it to himself...BTW these days he is a major league Tea Bagger these days..shocking isn't it...
The alumni as agroup are most likely racist ...The reason I said that I didn't think it was the reason for the Universities choice was... Sumlien The coach of Texas A&M...The ice has been broken and longhorn fans would accept a national championship brought by a black coach, IMHO
As far as Alabama goes... In the case of Nick Sabin the results say they picked the best man...I also agree with you on Affirmative action...The starting line must be equal...Affirmitive action in Education agreed 100% definately I side with blacks against racist hiring and promtion policies but at the end of the day if the best guy gets the job so be it...The crime that follows poverty is far less a race thing than it is a poverty thing...the poor white folks I grew up with were in every way just as prone to stealing, wife and child abuse and \or abandonment as were the black folks...When you are talking poverty and race..simple fact is far more blacks are impoverished thus prone to crime...Left in the sun long enough white trash smells as bad as black trash

Location hidden

#498 Jan 9, 2014
Jay Gruden got the Redskins job....i woulda liked the Vikings or Tennessee job, alot better for him....but like Snyder, the Vikings owner is supposed to be a dick too......at least he has his brother to bounce stuff off of......I agree about some of the discrimination stuff.....like we both know alotta the political BS, is about the race of the President......and i think they have been screwed over on hiring over the years....but, i don't want them handed government jobs, that they won't do or teaching jobs that they can't do......Equality should mean, just that.....But it does'nt right now.....I don't agree with what Section 8 Housing has done to this country.....it's a smooth "social engineering" version of forced integration of neighborhoods......which has been a disaster in places like Chicago....

Buffalo, NY

#499 Jan 9, 2014
Jay Gruden got an interview here last year...I think we did alright...Snyder is a HUGE dick...It's enough to make you hope that the Redskins don't win...I think Guden will be reallly good for RGIII...
I think it is clear that we are in the same ballpark on the race thing...I am very big on education....Give every kid a quality education and by making the starting line equal your 3\4 of the way home...Just police obvious discrimination in the work place and I say were done...I agree the second worst possible outcome is someone unqualified being pushed ahead by politics...The worst being someone qualifiied being held back.
Do you ever read...I was given a Baseball book by a friend thats is pretty good... It's called 59 in 84...It's about a guy named old Hoss Radburn.......the guy won 59 games in 1884...In one season he threw more innings than 3 starters do today...
Back then they played hardball...barehanded..manly stuff ...The day today story is cool too...He falls inlove with the same Madame that Cap Anson the White Stockings captain was involved with...Legend has it they resolved possession of her affections on the ball field

Location hidden

#500 Jan 10, 2014
I am still kinda amazed that Mike Zimmer has'nt caught a head coaching job yet.....guess offense is more in vogue, than defense.....wish they had the first Saturday game on, earlier than 4:35.....hope it does'nt have anything to do with corporate greed....lol.....FYI..... "The Loudest Voice In The Room" the unauthorized biography of Roger Ailes, the CEO and creator of Fox News....sound's fascinating, eh?......The Man that split a Nation.......sadly, i only read a bit online, as my vision is so poor....My Dad has been telling me about authors that i loved years ago...Tom Clancy, Dale Brown and Dean Koontz.....How about this weekend's predictions......49ers over Panthers.....Seattle over Saints...sorry Drew......Denver over Chargers....and the big one, Colts over Patriots......BOOM......lol... .

Buffalo, NY

#501 Jan 10, 2014
My picks for the week Seattle will win closer than the spread though...San Fran. over Carolina so far we agree...
Your heart is working over time in the AFC...Patriots over Colts...your giving Belichek and Brady 2 weeks to prepare...they will use it wisely...and an upset special Chargers will definetly cover the 9 point spread and 50%-50% to win...
Sounds like your dad loves sci-fi and thrillers...I always like biography and history....The Ailes book could be interesting...The other great baseball bio that I have read is Satchel Paige's...that was an interesting guy...If there was a baseball player I would buy a cigar and hang out with for a while it would be Paige...But I can't get Radburn out of my head...playing hardball barehanded...That is hairier than playing goalie with out a mask.
It destroyed the catchers...

Location hidden

#502 Jan 10, 2014
Somehow, i just have a feeling, the luck finally runs out for Brady-Belichek.....i agree that Carolina isn't tough enough yet, to get past the 49ers......Tom Clancy wrote...Hunt For Red October.....and those writers usually write about global altercations and military intelligence stuff.....like Jake Grafton, a aircraft carrier pilot, during the Vietnam War in....Flight Of The Intruder......a book and movie with Willem Defoe and Danny Glover.......1st wife and i used to read alot...also like Stephan King, who is mostly horror......i have read alot on history, especially our Civil War....He died 2 years ago, but i would like to meet Shelby Foote, one of the greatest historians on that subject......Very sad about Lindsey Vonn, not making the Olympics....imagine working out for four years, then having it all dashed.....I feel there might be something like Munich at these games.....Putin has pissed off too many in that region.....

Buffalo, NY

#503 Jan 10, 2014
Most people fear that...And those guys overthere are serious...I have no doubt that they will kill if they get a chance...There would be so many vulnerable targets...Like a Clancy type novels plot...
I can't stand the Patriots they have been on top to long and in our division...twice a year that kind of familiarity has bred contempt...but got call it as i see it the Colts are a player or two and a little more experence away from it being their turn...Seattle and 49ers...easier calls...And I am not saying Chargers win but i wont be shocked if the broncos need a last second field goal ...Shelby Foote was great and he would have been great to sit around and talk about the war with a guy that engaging and informed...A team of Rivals was a great book about Lincoln's cabnet and Bruce Caton wrote a Great War history...

Location hidden

#504 Jan 10, 2014
I actually got halfway through a three-book set by Shelby Foote, when i realized i was'nt doing well, with just one eye useful.....lol.....besides, keeping track of about 300 politicians, colonels and generals was really killing me......when i was younger, i was good at it...Hell, i read, Spartacus in the 8th grade....and those names were hard...lol....Clancy wrote, Red Storm Rising.....a favorite about U.S. and Russia making a global rush to secure all of global oil......the action is worldwide, which likely means that it will never be a movie....too vast.....Did the Panthers beat the Sabres last night? I flipped by it on the cable....Getting psyched for these 4 games....Bull, this is seriously the best weekend for the NFL.....I just need Broncos and Seahawks to get thru to next Sunday....lol....

Buffalo, NY

#505 Jan 10, 2014
It was easier to absorb things with a young mind...I used to have a great memory...back then... read it once and i had it down, now i have post-it notes pasted all over the place ...and i still forget
Panthers won in a shoot-out on an ugly goal by Boyes...off the post then off Johan Enroths ass and in....Pity because Enroth had played a great game...Miller plays nine out of ten so Enroth doesn't get much of a chance and he is a pretty decent goalie...Back up for team Sweden
The plot line for 'red storm rising' brings to mind a company I had an intrest in..they make oil from algea....It will replace fuel for a plane or a car...The only catch ...a couple of cents per gallon...If we consume oil at the pace we current use it at...that movies plot line becomes fact ...or this companies product becomes profitable and bails us out
This week could be a great one for the NFL....It is exciting when they get down to the nitty- gritty

Location hidden

#506 Jan 11, 2014
Sadly, i rarely watch the Panthers games because they aren't on one of my Hi-Def channels.....how spoiled i have become....lol....i usually watch only Redwing and Blackhawks games, and especially if they are playing eachother or another of the original teams......Don't know if you ever saw the 60 Minutes segment on the trillions, that the Saudi's had spent, in order to drill horizontally in their desert....giving them another estimated 50 years, worth of oil.........Yeah, this is the best weekend of the NFL and next week, is the best Sunday.....Many Superbowls have been letdowns.....I think if Luck's Colts are ever gonna beat the Pats...tonight is their best chance.....Pats have been good, but not great this year.....Much as i like Luke Keachley on the Carolina team, i just can't get into Cam Newton yet....too much of a "SEE ME" type guy.....

Buffalo, NY

#507 Jan 11, 2014
I understand that there are ways of squeezing more oil out of the wells that we have including horizontal drilling...I wasn't quoting Marion Hubbert and his peak oil theory...Economics dictates we could never run out of oil..We could run out of oil that is economical to exploit. The growth in demand will push exploration to less profitable sites and using ever more exotic means of extraction...What I was saying is the economics of this algae based substitute could make it viable if the cost of oil grows.
Luke Keachley is a stud I had seen him a bunch in when he was @ Boston college A side line to side line tackling machine...I am not a big Newton fan he has a lot of ability but he seems hit or miss...
Don't be that sad about missing Panther games...They aren't much better than the Sabers...Like the Sabers they have some young guys who haven't started to produce

Location hidden

#508 Jan 11, 2014
Yes, the point in the 60 Minutes thing was...that it is important to the Saudi's that oil remain somewhat cheap and also available....in an attempt to head off the electric/lp/solar car advancement.....i have a feeling that the same corporate leaders that pushed the even playing field agenda, were also partly responsible for the advancement in the India and China economies.......so, not only did they take the jobs overseas, they also led to the raising of oil prices, by stimulating those economys......or something....lol....Keachley reminds me of a Dolphin middle linebacker, years ago...John Offerdahl....seemed like he was everywhere for several years, but his body could'nt hold up.....He opened a chain of great bagel places down here......I'm trying to time my nap, so i get up just before kickoff.....Who say's us retired guys aren't busy...lol....

Buffalo, NY

#509 Jan 12, 2014
It is a busy life when you no longer have a regular 9-5 gig...I took a pill missed parts of both game...Seen the ending of the Saints game...That was one of the biggest brain cramps that i have ever seen...If Colsten steps out of bounds there is plenty of time for a shot at the end zone...I seen enough of the Patriots game to know i had that one figured correctly...The Pats are very capable of getting primitive on offense...Next year if he stays healthy it could be Lucks year...Today the Chargers v. Bronco's is the game we dis agree on...I just have a feeling...go with your hunches..
Corporations do rule the world to an extent....the right wing paranoids and the 'occupy wall street' people have it right up to an point...There is no conspiracy.. no 'secret gov'twith a secret agenda...just a bunch of greedy bastards given way too much freedom to persue a buck with too oversite..too few laws governing thier behaviour...
It is the ultimate end result of all this anti- gov't\ anti union crusade the right wing is on...Those two institutions that they have de-clawed are the only tools we have to funnell some of this greed towards the common good...
Usually I keep that sentiment to my self when i deal with the people that run the companies that we play...Some of the things these folks say about politics and economic theories is somewhere between scary and cartoonish...makes me feel like a heathen in thier church...
somewhere Che Gueverra is laughing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 2 hr WMNewsfan 3,222
Review: Dermatology Center - Evelyn E Vandervee... (Oct '09) 21 hr Former Patient 21
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sun a commenter 1,219
News Fire destroys well-known Lowell restaurant (Sep '07) Sun Neighbor 11
KJC's Very Own Things To Write Here On Topix Feb 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 28
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Feb 15 lynn 195
Review: TerryTown RV Superstore (Aug '15) Feb 14 Barbara West 6

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages