College football roundup: Ohio State ...

College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

There are 2625 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Aug 30, 2013, titled College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#450 Dec 29, 2013
Thank God, that i was only able to watch small portions of both games.....Louisville's defense is incredible...You're right about Teddy Bridgewater...it's truly amazing how much talent comes outta Florida......he coulda went to Miami, except for the NCAA's heavy hand.....Lucky that PBS had the wife's beloved Downton Abbey, last night....sparing me the Wolverine debacle........I agree that the Eagles are scary good on offense....Only possible worse game, might be Vikings-Lions....... Guess the Dolphins still have a shot.....Chargers lose, Raven's lose, Dolphins win......Won't really matter.....Watched some of Redwings-Panthers...Panthers have some talent, but Detroit can really do what they want, usually....ended,....Redwings. win 4-3........

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#451 Dec 30, 2013
i have aquired some sort of a bug...Nothing extreme just some time worshipping the porcelain oracle...holy Rallllph. So i missed a lot of ball yesterday. the Bills showed up and played . Looks like we were right about 49ers and Cards...Also Packers v. Bears...And there were a ton of dogs
There is a full day of college ball today...we are getting to the 'good' games
I think Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB in this years draft, he is a JR. but he has started in a pro style offense for 3 years...It looks like he has learned everything he needs to learn..If the bears want to become a championship team he would be the last piece of their puzzle..if your Houstons GM Teddy has to look good...

Location hidden

#452 Dec 30, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
i have aquired some sort of a bug...Nothing extreme just some time worshipping the porcelain oracle...holy Rallllph. So i missed a lot of ball yesterday. the Bills showed up and played . Looks like we were right about 49ers and Cards...Also Packers v. Bears...And there were a ton of dogs
There is a full day of college ball today...we are getting to the 'good' games
I think Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB in this years draft, he is a JR. but he has started in a pro style offense for 3 years...It looks like he has learned everything he needs to learn..If the bears want to become a championship team he would be the last piece of their puzzle..if your Houstons GM Teddy has to look good...
Sorry about your bug...especially when it is so cold there......You're right about Bridgewater, as ESPN's mock draft had him going #1 to Houston.....Bear's defense dropped the ball, in the end....shoulda kept Urlacher for another year....the season and their getting knocked out proves it.....especially disheartening considering the emergence of McGown......Did you see all the records, Peyton and the Bronco's set?.....Your Bills fought to the end, and with a talented backup.....I woulda rather seen the Ravens make it in, instead of the Chargers......Dolphins did'nt deserve it......Dallas fought like hell, eh?.......Texas-Oregon look's good for me, as the wife works late today...lol...Will Mack Brown be coaching?

Buffalo, NY

#453 Dec 30, 2013
The cowboys didn't fight like hell...instead I think Romo rescued his reputation...I always had him pegged as a soft player and a quitter...The fact that he had been playing with a ruptured disc....was willing to tak a shot so he might be able to take more abuse...the Cowboys defense was soft the franchise is mis managed with Jones doing an Al Davis imatation being GM...interfering with his coaching staff...The Bears Defense was not the usual tough Defense the Bears have had...But what really sinks them is the cancer at the QB spot...Mid Tennesse embarassed them selfs against Navy with a 1\2 dozen cheap shots...I'm kind of sick of seeing the Ravens in the playoffs...not that I love the Chargers...or the fish...
It will be very interesting to see which underclassmen come out...It could be a good draft this comming april...

Location hidden

#454 Dec 30, 2013
We have already agreed that Jerry Jones needs a football GM.....It does remind one of Al Davis, but Davis knew football better, he just got goofy, when he got older...like us...lol.....I told you once about my business friendship with Chuck Daley, years ago.....he told me about him knowing Al Davis and about how Al had a wife that was very ill, that he was very protective and dedicated to.... and how he was known for being so loyal to everyone in the organization......maybe too loyal to in some instances.....Oakland is a dumpy city and they have the lowest payroll in the NFL........BTW, Janikowski had an off year.......I alway's dream that some billionaire from silicon valley, will want an NFL team....lol....Draft geeks are saying Johnny Football's game really improved, this season.....i am kinda fascinated to see who takes him.....also your LB and RB and that BYU linebacker Van Noy.....plus Michigan's Tackle Taylor Lewan is supposed to go early........

Buffalo, NY

#455 Dec 31, 2013
I hear Johnny Football could be in the top ten...take him out of the Bears range...They may be running out of candidates... McCarron? to the Bears......Van noy is an interesting guy he would fit in a 3-4 scheme LB.... UCLA's LB Barr and Mosley from 'Bama look like they may go ahead of Mack and Van Noy
Al did go from eccentric to wierd and his team went south as a result. Re used to make delinquents and n'er do wells behave long enough to win...when Al lost his edge the misfits stopped fitting and became anchors...Al's decency is noted even though he fleeced us out of Dayrl Lamonica...long memories here expecially when It comes to local legends like Lamonica, Cookie Gilchrist and Lou Saban...
B.C. & Arizona is on but I'm not paying much attention

Location hidden

#456 Dec 31, 2013
Not sure what to think of Manzeil....he could be great(Drew Brees)....or a talent, till he get's creamed(RG III)?.....Watching this QB, Brett Hunley from UCLA...pretty talented.....Went to pickup ribs and wings from this great BBQ, locally for tonight...Stopped at Lowes, but was'nt sure if i needed the lightbulbs that are going away tomorrow.....lol.....Hope you're feeling better? I learned years ago, this is one of the most dangerous nights to go anywhere......plus our dogs hate the fireworks..lol....Hoping i can work some football in tonight, a bit of Johnny Football at the least......Wife and i have been fascinated by these reality shows about buying property in Hawaii and Alaska......I remember Lou Saban pretty well....also Joe Delammalere and OJ tearing it up.....i go back to about the Qb-Senator you were speaking of.....he could be a movie subject.....

Buffalo, NY

#457 Jan 1, 2014
Duke v. Texas A&M was epic....broke my heart to watch also gagged me to hear the announcers kiss Johnny Footballs butt...He will be a good pro..If you don't mind him ad-libbing and making an ass of himself...I see him as a cross between Doug Flutie and Brett Farve...
This draft may be an all-time best for QB's
Bridgewater
Manzeil
McCarron
Bortles (UCF)
Boyd (clemson).
Murray (Georgia)
Carr(Fresno)
And what if that kid from UCLA comes out that is quite the class of drafties lots of good LB too..

Location hidden

#458 Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, i think that Manzeil's bowl game was a classic comeback......doubt we will see another one, that good...this season....Hope MSU can win, as only Nebraska from the Big 10 have won so far.....Watched the Winter Classic Hockey game, from Ann Arbor.....Toronto's goalie Jonathon Bernier, really stood out.....just imagine over 100,000 people there in 12 degrees and windy......i get chills, just watching...lol.....Do you know, Johnny Football is a kinda freak....6'1" tall, but huge hands and feet.....he really isn't so small......His running around too much, could be deadly in the NFL......I would guess, both the Bears and Raiders will likely draft a Qb at some point.......Bull, do you think it was fair, that the Browns fired Chudzinski after only one year?

Buffalo, NY

#459 Jan 2, 2014
it's a good thing that there are so many QB's comming out...there are a lot of teams in need Houston..Cleveland..Oakland... Minnesota...
Chicago...Tampa...Dallas?...Te nnessee..Houston is in an Interesting spot..Do you take Bridgewater or Clowney...or trade down pick up your QB later in the first round pick up some extra picks? Spartans played an excellent game very entertaining...Bortals looked pretty good for UCF...
Watched some of the winter classic..It strikes me ..how far the seating is from the ice when they do these outdoor games...I think the Browns showed a big lack of class in handling Chudzinski like that...He will get a good job in college...I wonder who is going to take over in Austin...Mack Brown leaves big shoes...I heard Manziel has big shoes...Big hands ...big ego...The 49ers visit The Packers...game time temp will be about 5 degrees...Big advantage Packers

Location hidden

#460 Jan 2, 2014
Michigan State's defense was the best i have seen, since LSU,,,about 5-6 years ago.....i knew when they bodyslammed the Buckeyes, that they were special......that UCF bowl win was a fun game to watch....You know what it is, Bull?...For several reasons, among them the ability to play sports year-round....Florida is a fountain of talent.....plus these kids end up playing, all over the country.....but, the state schools really harvested those talented kids.....Hell, South Florida usually has a decent team, too.......Even by beloved Dennard Robinson at Michigan, went to Deerfield Beach H.S., just south of here.....If i was Houston, i take Matthews, the tackle from Texas A&M....his dad, Bruce Matthews started 22 years for the Oilers...a record.....same genes as his cousin, Clay Matthews....lol.....then i take the UCF or UCLA Qb in the second round.......but, you are probably right about Bridgewater being the best one.....Many teams are gonna start following Seattle's lead, in watching for midrounds Qb talent.....Chudzinski played and was an asst coach at Miami i think?....I think it is next to impossible to change a team, like the Browns...in one year, and it is apparent why they continue to flounder.......Not sure which is more fascinating....SF at GB or Saints at Bengals.....? I'm not sold on this Packer team.....and the Saints are a team, seemingly unable to play, outta the dome.

Buffalo, NY

#461 Jan 2, 2014
I think that the year round thing has a lot to do with it...Buffalo has maybe 6-8 NHL maybe the same number in the NFL..I can't remember the last Baseball player ..an equally sized metro area in Florida produces more...
The other thing... The Football as a religion thing plays a role too...
If I was Houston i would shop that pick...if you can get a pick in the top12 you will get your QB and that team needs so much getting an extra 2nd and maybe a couple of late round picks makes sense...I don't want Clowney and maybe some one else with pay a stiff price for their choice of QB's...
said in the Buffalo News the Green Bay game isn't sold out yet....Saints @ Eagles...take the Birds the saints don't travel well nor do dome teams play well in the cold...Chargers @ Bengals same thing

Location hidden

#462 Jan 2, 2014
I think, with that offensive talent...the Eagles could be that team, that goes much further than everyone expects......Bengals could also be that kinda team......Tampa was smart tabbing Lovie Smith.....still haven't figured the Bear's firing a 10-6 coach, that had also led them to a Super Bowl.....Hope he is successful, especially, despite the owners, the Glaizers reputation of being creeps...lol....See there, even the Packer's fans aren't secure with this team......Bull, my preseason pick of Denver-Seattle is looking good......About the Winter Classic...it was fascinating on the HDTV, but the thought of sitting in that for 3 hours, would be the death of me...lol....Redwings gave Franzen and another the day off, so they could have two of the younger Mich-MSU players take part....a class organization.....I liked the announcing of the mens and woman's Olympic teams.....getting psyched for it.....

Buffalo, NY

#463 Jan 2, 2014
The Mens hockey team has some interesting choices...Ryan Miller in goal, obvious pick...Leaving off Dustin Byfuglien and Bobby Ryan are head scratchers..Ryan knows where the net is even if he isn't a great skater...Byfuglien is a big mobile defenseman with a big shot...Also Ben Bishop is too good to have Tim howard in front of him...
The Red Wings are a class act...
I don't know whats up in Green Bay...They could have an inter-squad presason scrimage and have 70,000...Smith is a great pick for Tampa...He will have them playing basic competitive ball in no time....
Eagles could be good but we might be a year away from finding out how good they will be.
Seattle is a good pick...Denver is picking what you want to see
Too bad we will never see Giants v. Broncos...Eli v. Payton it would be quite a show

Location hidden

#464 Jan 2, 2014
Was Bufuglien with the Blackhawks when they won the previous Stanley Cup?.......Yeah, i mostly follow the Redwings and Blackhawks.....i find it is much easier to focus, with the HDTV coverage....though i did like what Fox did before, in lighting up the puck....lol....Part of the Green Bay deal may be that they added seats at Lambeau field, taking it to 80,000....Green Bay is about half the size of Buffalo, i think.....plus, these newer televisions have really changed the whole thing......especially when it is -5 to-15 windchill......I'm out......lol......Yeah, Peyton vs. Eli would be a trip......i'd like to see Peyton get at least one more ring.....i loved Marino, but i think Peyton is the best, i have ever seen.........Hard to believe, the Colt's aren't sold out yet? I'd go to that game....lol....cause it's only like 200 miles from Amish pie.....ever had it?

Buffalo, NY

#465 Jan 3, 2014
at 5:30 out with the dog.it's pretty breezy...-- 2 degrees.. snot freezes in your sinus...windchill probibly --20...Headline on the Buffalo News...A Real Winter...I remember we used to have a dozen days like this per year..Back before the Democrats invented global warming...damn Democrats f*ucking up the weather....I could not imagine spending more than the 15 minutes me and rickey spent out there tthis morning...let alone trying to play football in it...Hey Mr. Goodel a Night game in this would be so COOL...
Byfuglien was a Blackhawk they ran into cap issues after the cup...He plays in Winnipeg now...
Amish pie??? it's a dessert not a loose menonite girl...right?
I must firmly disagree...Jim Kelly...like Payton and Eli...he was a great QUARTERBACK...Dan Marino was a great PASSER...huge difference

Buffalo, NY

#466 Jan 3, 2014
I try not to talk about stocks much...but...
A company that we have been holding for some time is ChyronHego ....They do TV graphics...It's H.Q. is in Long Island...Was run by an Englishman...Now run by a Swede...At the changing of the guard we all got together...the English gent was still referring to the glo-puck as an advancement in graphics...I was shaking my head ..the swede is a hockey fan (A Sedin fan)...he laughed at the glo-puck too...

Location hidden

#467 Jan 3, 2014
I can only see well out of my left eye, so the glo-puck was really crucial help for me....i thought it was innovative.....I passed on football last night, for the NBA...i knew Curry and Golden State would give the Heat trouble, as they did......Hated missing Sabin lose a consecutive game...lol....could'nt happen to a nicer guy.....Packers-Bengals-Colts still not sold out.....Hard to believe about the Colts especially......Andrew Luck and indoors....go figure?......In the midwest, Amish are notorious for outstanding pies.....i could take you to an Amish restaurant at the Livestock auction in Shipshewana, Indiana.....but, we would never leave......while everyone orders a proper lunch, i order 4 pieces of pie....lol.....kinda like Oprah's favorite things.......Not sure Eli Manning will ever go down, as one of the greats......Peyton, Brady....maybe Brees, Rogers.....

Buffalo, NY

#468 Jan 3, 2014
Ok I'll meet you in Shipshewana...Love desserts...We could have us a pie eating contest...
I watched Alabama lose last night...Liked seeing Sabin squirm...the pre-game show had one of those heartwarming stories...A.J. McCarron sees a student with cerebal palsy miss a bus so McCarron gives him a ride..The kid is named A.J. too...he is about to quit school he enrolled because he wanted to be part of something..make friends...and he was shunned and depressed...McCarron gets the kid a job as assistant equipment manager..Kid stays in school...becomes 'part of the football team...the two A.J.'s become friends. The wife loves Oklahoma's uniforms and was so she picked O.U....after the story she changed sides...I was hoping McCarron would shoot the lights out... and lose...
OK Eli is boarderline...But Brady ..Payton ...Rodgers and Kelly all great Quarterbacks...Dan...err... hall of fame passer.

Location hidden

#469 Jan 3, 2014
You know...i am old enough to recall Jim Kelly playing at the U.....that was the start of Miami's rise to national stature....Bull, you may have to come to grips with the sad reality, that anyone, not from Buffalo.....reveres Jim Kelly at near, your level.....truth hurts, eh?...lol.....I'm hoping the Bears did the right thing with Cutler's contract...it's rare to see them open their coin purse, that far...lol....the defense proved, they shoulda kept Urlacher one more year.....This SF-GB game, may be somewhere beyond cold.....kinda unfair, since 49ers have 4 more wins.....Do you know if Clay Matthews is playing?....Seems like they could tape up a hand with a broken thumb.....We are having some crazy weather for here....it tied a record yesterday at 86.....this morning 49.....go figure...lol...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poor Little Patriots 4 hr Joe Balls 25
Donald Trump has no chance 6 hr Idea Maker 8
News Booming again: West Michigan's economy is on a ... 10 hr for sure 33
News Why micro loans might be key to growing black-o... 13 hr Oh No You Di-nt 1
Local News Women (Apr '09) Mon Carly 2,652
Brexit is America's advantage Mon RushFan666 3
Government and Green Energy Sun Idea Maker 31
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages