College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

Full story: Detroit Free Press

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.
Comments
281 - 300 of 1,312 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Our Sunday picks....my scoring is this
The worst game of the day Was J'ville v. Houston...neither team showed up...point goes my way
The best game of the was neither Bears v. Rams nor Cards v. Colts we both get 1\2 point
So by my scoring you lead 2 1\2...to 1 1\2....You agree?
Pats and broncos was the game of the day ...Pats gave up a lot of first half point was down 24-0 ccame back to win in OT was nearly a second tie The Pats scored with couple of minutes left they were set up by Bronco's screwing up on a punt return..
Friday the temperature hear will be 30 degrees or less...I will not be watching the big Bowling Green game at the Ralph...I couldn't take the temperature either...I will be warm at home watching it on ESPNU...The paper says 24,000 sold tickets and 8,000 are bought to be distributed to boys and girls clubs, Boy Scouts...If it is a semi pleasant day it will be our biggest home crowd ever...( 1956 v. Colgate 26,500).
Johnny football was way off on Saturday...poor boy I wonder if he is comming out this year...
I am not taunting but ...with 7 wins the invite that Michigan would be likely to receive is the Pizza bowl in Detroit v. a MAC team...If it is Buffalo...we will be looking to avenge that famous 1901 game @ Michigan 128-0...

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

I mis-posted i was reading a 2004 media guide since that date we have had a couple of larger nose counts 29,975 for Temple and a slightly smaller syracuse crowd
the palmer question is if that draft were held today would you have picked in in the top 5? top 20? second round?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

The deal with Michigan is that, no matter the record....Michigan fans and alumni bring a fortune to the town that holds the bowl game....it's the height of winter, back there....example is that the medium Michigan teams, often get something like the Citrus Bowl in a place like Orlando....an almost infinite number of places to spend money.....Wisconsin and Nebraska are the same way....lotsa fans and alumni, with plenty of those, "Fun during Winter" bucks....lol....I'd be fine with Buffalo-Michigan, except would'nt the differences in the trenches, eventually show itself?....I think Buffalo-Northern Illinois would be a better match, and maybe also in a warm weather site or a dome.....My suffering is incomplete, as we have OSU coming up.....Vikings-Packers was a pretty good game....don't know why they don't just skip the tie and turn off the clock and stay in overtime....till someone wins.....NCAA has a better system there, than the NFL.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Buffalo v. N. Illinois would be the MAC championship game...So it wouldn't also be the bowl game...The big 10 has the tie in an are obliged to supply the opponet for the Pizza Bowl...Michigan or Penn St. are likely to be the last qualifiers from the Big 10 thus they would be assigned to the Pizza bowl...
If Michigan were to meet Buffalo I would expect Michigan would win 10 +..If it were Michigan v. No. Illinois pretty even...Just speculating....There were about 30,000 in toronto in '09 for that bowl game I don't think we would travel as well as Michigan....
Our most lkely alternate site for us is the Potato bowl in Boise...out doors...v. Mountain west opponet
For the NCAA' overtime to be better i would move the starting line back 10 yards so the teams would need a first down to get a FG try...I don't truely object to a tie...I think the NHL is fucked up witha shootout settling a game...That is a skills compitition...as if in base ball after the tenth inning they settle the issue with a homerun derby or the NBA had a dunking contest break ties....Some time tied is exactly what the two team deserve

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

I don't like the NHL shootout endings either...I'd rather they just keep playing, possibly the 5 on 5, then 4 on 4 system, i have heard of....I was just wondering...are there any domed stadiums in the N.E.? Syracuse?.....i saw a news segment once on how dishonest the money is in some of the Bowl Games...have you ever heard that?.....Also, even though i respect the hell outta Peyton Manning...i wonder if his neck surgeries, if he is somehow effected neurologically in extreme cold?....It is a possibility, i never hear anyone on ESPN, ever mention....cold can effect numbness and nerve uproar....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Syracuse is the only dome in the noreheast USA...Toronto is as well...
I had seen something really ccol a story about a guy who is going blind and was determined to see a game in all 125 Div IA stadiums before his eyesight goes.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip...

I had seen that too... I think it was the Fiesta Bowl and corporate sponsers
You are right about injuries and extreme cold...or really any time there is a dramatic change in the weather. The cold seems to make all the hurt spot hurt more...The changes in weather are tough on old joints. And you are on to something..Joe Montana's last season at Kansas City they played here in the Playoffs Joe looked so stiff and sore I felt bad for him.
For the reular season I say the NHL should just accept ties...it is a hell of a lot better tha what they got now...In the playoffs let them play all night

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2013

Then, i wonder why they don't have a bowl game at Syracuse's dome? They have adequate hotels, motels and restaurants.......My computer is in trouble...we need a geek....this Mozilla firefox has been nothing but trouble....if i disappear for awhile, you heard it here.....RG III look bad to you?...Evidently, they can't change or coach him to avoid contact and take the easier reciever....then, after the games, he says shit like, We gotta get better.....?....Wished i coulda watched Penguins-Bruins lastnight....Boston wins 34 seconds into overtime.....Wow.....if you go into overtime, with the clock turned off, human nature will eventually force a conclusion........

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2013

The problem with letting NHL regular season run untill someone scores is the fact that the longest over time was 112 minutes of over time, there are a dozen with time over an hour...In the playoffs big deal both team would play the next game no advantage to either side..But the NHL schedules teams on back to back nights. Thus if a team on a extended road trip had a marathon it either may miss flights booked long ago or fly into the second town so wore out that there wouldn't be a contest...they would hold the game but if you shelled out big bucks you would hope to pay for a contest...At some point you have to accept a tie..I say do it before compromising the integrity of the game with a shootout
RG III shows why I wouldn't invest too much in a young QB who has to run to be effective...He will get hurt before he learns how to play the game...
So Khalil Mack made the final 5 for top linebacker...So he tells the TV reporter..It's a testomny to coach Tepper who taught me how to play and to my teammates who have supported me...I just hope i don't let any of them down...He is either a genuine nice kid or the best damn actor on earth

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2013

That is why i talked about the 5 on 5 and 4 on 4 progression, during overtime has been suggested as a speed up method for overtime......It will be fascinating to see who get's Mack and what a splash he will make, for a team......i woke up from my nap, to the replay of Chargers-Chiefs on NFL....what a lucky kid....lol....Yeah, you know , Gruden was a top Qb coach?....He was trying to say, in a nice way....that RG III is gonna get wasted, unless they can convert him to the pocket.....plus, he misses too many checkdown possibilities......Luck, Wilson and even Tannehill were better longterm success choices.....Redskins have a great MSU Qb in the wings.....BTW, we have been to Panthers game down here.....they have a great arena, where you are right on top of the game and you can easily hear them yelling at eachother.....lol....we went to Bull Riding there, also....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

I am for a 5 min. overtime...if it's still tied don't be afraid to call it a tie...For now Ted Nolan has the Sabers working...but that too will fade...I am still waiting for the Miller trade then we will see what our future looks like..
I agree with Gruden and a lot of others who think a running QB will have a short lifespan so don't count on them...The only way around it would be for the redskins to sign Tebow and draft Jordan Lynch.. that way you just plug in a new running QB when the starter gets killed...Treat the position like college teams do.
BTW Northern Illinois was on last night their last game before the Championship they beat Western Michigan ..Lynch ran for 321 yards...WTF...If I had a heisman ballot I wouldn't spend it on Winston...so I might give it to Lynch...If you can find a way to win in the NFL with a run first QB Lynch is your man...I would take him in a later round as a FB...There has to be a place for that kid...
We got the first snow fall that stuck...4-5 greasy, wet inches of slush fell overnight....Where are those kids like i once was.... armed with shovels looking for some old f*ck like me...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

You are right...Jordan Lynch is a great player...talked to my Dad and he told me about that game, i said maybe he should'nt watch the ass kicking his Broncos were gonna get, but 33-14 is semi-respectable.....I would prefer the Luck or even Seattle's Wilson, that occasionally runs.....but RG III needs to be retrained, and i would play Kurt Cousins for the rest of this year.....I'm also surprised that you don't get any shoveling teens....especially with all those foxbot parents, yearning for all those, oldtimey principles and work ethics....lol....Too bad many of their, secret corporate leaders outsourced all the jobs.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Those corporate leaders also 'Understand' those oldtimey principles
They understand it to mean that people making a quarter over minumim practice that oldtimey work ethic thingy that they read about in Forbes...The rich man applauds patriotic sacrificng for the good of the country is great as long as 'those' peolpe are the ones who get sacrificed...And then they toast all you saps with TEA and will package your oldtimey sentements and sell them back to you in the form a a politic movement design to set you further back...
I don't know if you can re-train RGIII he reflex is to extend plays with his feet...If he were only a pocket QB would you get full value for his pay? I would take Luck...Even EJ Manuel before I took RGIII...
You dad has to watch the Broncos even in an ugly year...At least they didn't quit...And in college ball 33-14 is better than semi respectable when a 1-10 visits a 11-0...
Bowling Green is a 1 point favorite....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2013

Is that the Buffalo game on tonight?....We caught up on Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire, last night....but, she is already leery of all the women's volleyball....lol....Today i finally turned off the AC...i only cracked the windows though, because it's get to the 40's tonite.....i just have to be careful, because of Chi Chi, our Cockatiel....lol....Looking forward to tomarrow...i love turkey, and the dirty Lions....Steelers at Ravens....It's all good, Bull......Happy Thanksgiving....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Blue....may you and yours have a great Thanksgiving...Turkey & football...damn it is great to be an American...
The game is Friday at 1:30...ESPNU...This season has been one hell of a lot of fun....Not just the winning thing but also sharing it with you...How ever these few games play out it has been a hoot...
My sister lives in Arizona so i get taunted about the weather regularly. But I get mine in when Pheonix is stupid hot...All she has to do is buy a turkey park in the sun for 3 hour and that sucker will be cooked...I had only been in Florida one time...Tampa..I was the only one willing to serve as Dads next of kin...The only thing I can taunt you about is there was this cockroach that was big enough and mean enough to take the place of the Bull in your rodeo...lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Guess your sis must like Arizona, eh?....I spent several summers in SoCal growing up, but alway's thought the SW was generally too brown....lol....almost moved to Oregon once, as i really like the NW.....We lived in Oyster Bay, NY, when i was in 1st grade.....For some reason, we don't have many bugs in this house...Concrete block construction, maybe?....Black Friday?...lol...Neighbor and i agreed it isn't worth it, and we'd rather pay more....lol...especially when you see the makeup of the crowds, the local TV shows....lol....I'm a huge Charles Woodson fan, but i felt sad for him yesterday, playing safety for the Raiders and cleaning up almost every play, because others could'nt wrap up their tackles.....There should be some special award for guys that dedicate themselves, that much to the game.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Guess your sis must like Arizona, eh?....I spent several summers in SoCal growing up, but alway's thought the SW was generally too brown....lol....almost moved to Oregon once, as i really like the NW.....We lived in Oyster Bay, NY, when i was in 1st grade.....For some reason, we don't have many bugs in this house...Concrete block construction, maybe?....Black Friday?...lol...Neighbor and i agreed it isn't worth it, and we'd rather pay more....lol...especially when you see the makeup of the crowds, the local TV shows....lol....I'm a huge Charles Woodson fan, but i felt sad for him yesterday, playing safety for the Raiders and cleaning up almost every play, because others could'nt wrap up their tackles.....There should be some special award for guys that dedicate themselves, that much to the game.....
Woodson has performed long enough and well enough...If the team has any integrity after he retires his number could be retired...The Bills Did the with Daryl Talley, just a bit short of Canton, not for a lack of trying...A similar career to Woodson...
My sister loves Arizona...She used to live in Sun City AZ. which is 99% retired..every morning before dawn I would be up making coffee ...I would get a cup sit on her poach smoking morning cigarettes and watching 'The Dawn of the Nearly Dead" there was a group of a dozen or so 80+ year olds getting their exercise by walking around the block. For that half hour all you could hear was the scraping sound of walkers being dragged against pavement...She now lives in Fountain Hills ..a nice new neighborhood that 20 years ago was inhabited only by Cacti...
I hate christmas shopping the big sales bring out every psycho - shoppe on the planet. I got it easy have to buy only for the wife...She is being easy to please this year a recliner and tickets to see Bob Weir..one of the surviving and touring vets of the Grateful Dead...To quote the wife..."It could be the last chance to see these guys"...She could have asked for more...and... I don't remember the last time I said NO.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Good luck today with those Buckeyes...
I hope you feel better about it tommorrow than I feel today about yesterday..
Bowling Green has a very good defense and they will give Jordan lynch and Northern Illinois a real handful. I could see BGSU beating N. Illinois...We will have to wait for the Bowls select teams, we lost our guaranteed slot yesterday. MAC has 3 spots that are contracted, if N. Ill. gets an upgrade that would give us 4 spots...Toledo and Ball State are next in line ...IMHO...So we need some other confrenece unable to fill its slots...
Well good luck with the Buckeyes...
Tiredofhearingab outher

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

LOL Michigan lost. College football is a corrupt joke. Bunch of rapists, pedophiles, and criminals running over police officers and assaulting their girlfriends. Don't forget about the illegitimate children and all the bankruptcies. What a bunch of fools. It's astounding how some people (they call themselves "boosters") have turned college football into a religion for themselves me live vicariously through these players. These boosters are insecure people who were never athletes of any kind and must pay other people in order to live glory days that never existed for them. How pathetic lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:
Good luck today with those Buckeyes...
I hope you feel better about it tommorrow than I feel today about yesterday..
Bowling Green has a very good defense and they will give Jordan lynch and Northern Illinois a real handful. I could see BGSU beating N. Illinois...We will have to wait for the Bowls select teams, we lost our guaranteed slot yesterday. MAC has 3 spots that are contracted, if N. Ill. gets an upgrade that would give us 4 spots...Toledo and Ball State are next in line ...IMHO...So we need some other confrenece unable to fill its slots...
Well good luck with the Buckeyes...
Well, even with the Wolverine's last second loss, i was proud that they fought so well....Hoke did the right thing....with a wounded kicker, they would'nt compete in overtime....I will just be a Spartan fan next weekend.....lol....Auburn's win was incredible...i was torn between by dislike of both Sabin and Ohio State....lol....Still confident, that if it happens...FSU can beat OSU.....also saw parts of USC-UCLA and Georgia-Georgia Tech....another great game...i think Rivalry Weekend, is likely the best one......especially this year....that last play in the Auburn win is classic.....

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2013

you should be proud of the effort that the Wolverines put out. I disagree with you on the extra point. I would have kicked and taken my chances in OT. But the bottom line is the team played hard. UB did not bring thier best game. That is harder to swallow.
Auburn ...proof of devine intervention?...I have never seen a team that won like this every week amazing...Missouri beat up on Johnny Football....Ucla v. Usc was a great game...San Jose put Fresno out of the BCS picture...UB most likely needs a N. Ill. win...I thought that this was the most entertaining week of ball yet...
Did you see Bo Pillini Nebraska's coach blow up during and after the game...He knows he is done...

NFL Picks....
Best game Buffalo v. Atlanta @ Toronto
Dog J'ville @ Cleveland

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids