College football roundup: Ohio State ...

College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo

There are 2625 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Aug 30, 2013, titled College football roundup: Ohio State starts the chase for No. 1 vs. Buffalo. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Matchup: Eastern Michigan vs. Howard . Kickoff: 6 p.m., Rynearson Stadium, Ypsilanti.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#208 Nov 6, 2013
i am sure your dad has a story or two about playing hurt.
I took a defected puck to the nose ...I went to the locker room stuffed enough toilet paper up it to stop the bleeding, missed one shift.
Grew up one of Buffalo's poorer areas...on the street i had more discretion there is no ref around...
Liked Roy the only questionable thing he did was tank games in order to engineer his trade from the Canadiens, he got pulled during his last game the score was 6-0 or so and Roy taunted the fans and the teams GM on his way out.
Tom Barrasso was booed after going in the tank in Buffalo he skated off giving the fans the finger. It was his last game here
After getting booed last year Ryan Miller waved to the fans as he skated off, our idiot GM still hasn't traded him, the guys playing great, he is in the last year of his contract and just sold his house...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#209 Nov 6, 2013
I've seen Ryan Miller, and he is a very good goalie....someone i did business with, before i retired was John Ziegler, former NHL Commisioner...he's from Michigan and we became good friends and his wife was a peach....he even called us when i retired quickly, just to check i was okay....also was a friend of Chuck Daly, Piston's coach and a super human....R.I.P.....He spent the end of his life, taking care of an ailing wife....He used to tell me stories about how great Scotty and Michael were, to cheer me up.......You should know that this Grand Rapids forum, has the worst foxbots you might ever see....So, with that in mind, i must be careful what i say about myself....i once said i liked a wee Scotch, after 5PM of course,....that came back to haunt me...lol...my area of Michigan is filled with cold hearted, dutch-germans....sad to say....Alway's hoped i was on a different path....lol....

Buffalo, NY

#210 Nov 6, 2013
Miller is a step above good but he is getting older and the team is mis managed. The GM refuses to make trades unless there is a gun put to his head. Miller has wanted out because he is getting older and wants a shot at the cup. and he would love New York or California because his wife is a SI bikini model. We just traded Tomas Vanek who was in the same place as Miller a vet who wanted a chance to win
So sitting here watching sports center and Tannehill and some of the Fins say Martin looked up to Incgnito.... he treated Martin like a brother
when I started posting It never crossed my mind that anyone in here would give a rats as* who I am, thus it never occured that this crap was taken to heart by anyone. A few of our friends over there are a bit surreal and make you wonder.
Hey watch your tongue I am Dutch \german...There are two types of Germans Those who goose step and those who are Bohemians, happily i am the later

Buffalo, NY

#211 Nov 6, 2013
sorry about repeat post

Location hidden

#212 Nov 7, 2013
My family is german/french....my mom's dad was investigated as a member of the Bund...lol...when i was like 6, he told me sternly,'The best thing in life, is HARD WORK!".....just what 6 year olds, wanna hear....lol....Can't see Rangers taking Miller, with their good goalies, can you?....Hope i can stay awake for some of Oregon-Stanford, tonight....i am trying to get back to my internal, sleep routine.....if that makes any sense?......BTW, i think that Dolphin's GM, coaches and players are all gonna come out looking bad....the GM, Ireland will have to go.....that's actually been coming for a longtime, down here....

Buffalo, NY

#213 Nov 7, 2013
The Islanders have Nabokov who is servicable but not a guy that will carry you far.
The Rangers Kings and Devils are out of the question. Our GM sat on his hands when the Devils were shopping asfter last season. Miller will lose value as the trade deadlie approaches, everyone will know your desperate, to keep him past the deadline would be very dumb.
The part about getting back to a regular sleep pattern makes lots of sense...I have always been an insomniac and one bad night leads to another, pretty soon your wiped out.
I was shocked to see the dolphins rally around Incoginto here is a decent article on him from college both Oregon and Nebraska sent him packing
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013...
Looking forward to Oregon v. Stanford It could be the last challange the ducks have before a possible Championship game

Location hidden

#214 Nov 7, 2013
That is an excellent article....but it brought up something curious...that i have noticed.....i have a theory, that almost all bullies, had fathers that were usually the same.....this article is about the fourth i have seen, that mentions his father, a Vietnam Vet......Vietnam Vet? i would bet, that was how he introduced himself, hoping for some automatic credibility or even a pass on any responsibility, he may have in the matter.....Richie was'nt the first assh*le in that family....lol....

Buffalo, NY

#215 Nov 7, 2013
You are on to something there Blue.
I have had the theory that most abusive behavior is inherited, something to the effect that violence begets violence and that it is very human. I think it is tied into seeking a scapegoat. Then the perpetrator playing out of the abuse they had at one time felt on this scapegoat. As if they were trading roles with their abuser...
It is amazing how warped people can become
And how many more are being coddled on NFL rosters
And if you might have to have a little something interesting in your wiring if you excell at the nastier parts of a contact sport...when ever i caught someone looking for the puck while skating in open ice and was able to unload on them .. i had a very primitive little jolly... and I expected to recieve the same treatment if i left open an oppertunity

Location hidden

#216 Nov 8, 2013
Yes, it goes along with another truth like that....many battered women, are consistantly in abusive relationships, and likely came from family backrounds, that domestic abuse was a consistant feature.....past behavior almost alway's predicts future behavior.....STANFORD!....What a ass kicking that was.....the Ducks could'nt do anything to stop that running attack....funny how old fashioned smash mouth football takes out the new radical, high-scoring offense....was almost like watching Larry Czonka run over people again...lol......Now i think if FSU and Alabama don't slip up, they should be the Title game.....

Buffalo, NY

#217 Nov 8, 2013
Glad that you said past behavior ALMOST always predicts future behavior...I am too much an optimist to say tat you are fated to become anything,
There is always some hope that a person can break away from their past.
Stanford was awesome it's too bad they won't be playing Alabama...
I have always favored a smash mouth approach to the game...You mentioning Czonka brings back nightmares...Czonka, Kiick and Morris pounding our defense into submission and when we push 9 in the box.... Griese to Warfield and we lose again...
The Baylor game establishes the Bears as #4 in line behind Ohio State. They showed some defense that I had n idea they had...This would be a great year to have the playoff in place semi final games of Baylor v. Alabama and Ohio State v. Florida State would be fun

Location hidden

#218 Nov 8, 2013
I still think that Florida State can match Alabama physically.....and that Ohio State is gonna be left out, due to them playing too few big teams.....BTW, don't know if you've seen it on the news, but the Philippines is getting hammered by the baddest Typhoon(hurricane) that i have ever heard of....215 mph winds....they said it had more wind, than Katrina and Sandy combined.....Been close to a few down here, but nothing like that.....

Buffalo, NY

#219 Nov 8, 2013
Florida State hasn't been much more ambitious than Ohio State's. Bethune- Cookman isn't like they were swearing off of cup cakes. Also the Big 10 is a bit deeper than the ACC.
I hadn't seen the news today. After you mentioned it I looked it up on The Ruetters app on my pad. That storm is amazing the satellites photo is breath taking that storm is huge. That app may be a bit slow in it's feed they have only 3 people killed. I can't imagne that figure is accurate.
Up here we get the occational massive snow dump, but nothing like that.
I was reading about global warming and how the Pacific Ocean is acting like a heat sink. The article was written earlier in the year the author said that the size of typhoons can be expected to increase in the future.
scary thought

Location hidden

#220 Nov 9, 2013
Miami?....Clemson?....Ohio State has played no team as strong as both of those.....As for the Typhoon....if they only really had 100 dead, they got lucky...that storm is an absolute Monster, biggest i have ever seen hit land. It's moving so fast, might have saved many....and i recall well, watching Hurricane Andrew rolling like a huge bowling ball toward S. Fl.....I've traveled all over Asia and the Philippines has millions of poor squatter areas, where they live in these tin and cardboard shacks...Catholic Church's policy of no divorce and no birth control has been very destructive on their people and society.....Often typhoons are stronger because the Pacific is so huge and storms build strength, over water. I saw some disturbing news about a giant island of plastic floating somewhere in the middle....and now, about a huge island of debris from the earthquake in Japan...located between Cailfornia and Hawaii.....

Buffalo, NY

#221 Nov 9, 2013
Miami & Clemson are better marginally than Michigan and Wisconsin however after that the drop off in the ACC is sharp the Big 10 still has teams that are slightly better in Michigan state & Minnesota & Nebraska. I am not denying The 'Noles the inside track but just saying The buckeyes aren't THAT soft.
LSU v. Alabama....
The conditions that the poor in that part of the world live in makes me think that there have to be more causalities. Some towns are so remote that there probably is no head count.
I don't have much sympathy the Catholic church's politics. I had the Catholic education, even got married in the Church, Though neither of us really wanted it we felt obliged. Because neither of us we active in the Church we had to pay a kick back to get that privilege that neither wanted. Other than attending weddings and funerals, we have nothing to do with it.
I have heard about that Island of garbage too. They way we abuse the Earth is a shame...

Location hidden

#222 Nov 9, 2013
I did'nt say the Buckeyes were soft, i said their schedule is this season.....you don't get to start the season with 4 creampuffs, then demand a title shot in January.....I love my Michigan, but even they started with Notre Dame....OSU has'nt the balls for a matchup like that at the start....and i believe, that shall cost them later on....Hell, Miami started with Florida early on......Would'nt it be fun to see LSU shock the hell outta Bama?.........My wife is Catholic, and we have some faith in this new Pope, that he might bring the Church closer to it's people's needs.....

Buffalo, NY

#223 Nov 9, 2013
No you didn't say 'soft', and i didn't say that Ohio State is #2...all i wanted to say the spread between #2 -#3 is about what it is between #1 -#2.
Ohio states schedule isn't unique...Hey we were one of those creme puffs. And having Buffalo on your schedule is one thing...No real team would lose to say Appalachian State would they?
Some teams are worse than others Alabama stand up and take a bow Georgia State & Chattanooga....
How about games v. FCS schools not counting towards bowl eligibility?
I will concede that this Pope has a better approach...
And unlike previous popes there is no scandal or cover up associated with him...

Location hidden

#224 Nov 10, 2013
Here is a perfect example, Bull.....Michigan again lost, to Nebraska.....Now, do you think that will help Ohio State get into the Title game? Alabama may get somewhat of a pass, because they are the current champs...but, they also likely possess the best talent in the country.....I'm pulling for Bama-FSU......Hard to hear numbers like 10,000 dead in Philippines....I would hope this innovative and realistic Pope may bring changes to the many church rules and doctrine that have contributed to so much poverty and overpopulation......I've probably mentioned this before...but, every country, that was once a Spanish Colony.....is now rooted in corruption, poverty and overpopulation.....a sad fact of World History, eh?

Buffalo, NY

#225 Nov 10, 2013
Niether Nebraska nor Michigan are world beaters but Wake Forest and Virginia aren't powers...Talking about a hit to strength of schedule miami lost ...
Right now it is cut and dried

1) Alabama
2) Flodida State
3) Ohio State
4) Baylor

And it is a shame that there isn't a playoff...Alabama looked really hard to beat...
But at least one or two of those teams will lose before the championship game...

The awful situation in asia is impossible to put in to words...
The mess in former colonial states isn't limited to the spanish holdings Iraq was held be the french and English. Much English blood was spent in Afganistan. Lebenon was French.. Somalia...French Indo-china... Western greed destroyed, disrupted and exploited 2\3 of the world...The Catholic Church was a full partner in all of this

Location hidden

#226 Nov 11, 2013
If you recall, back when they were unbeaten, i said Miami was the softest #7 ever......Oh well, it's really just big guys playing a kid's game, huh?.....Surprises...Carolina beats SF, in SF......Saint's lay 625 yards of offense on the Cowboys......I hope Peyton isn't hurt to bad, don't want anything spoiling the Chiefs-Broncos game, next Sunday night.....Philippines is an especially sad target, because of so much poverty already.....plus getting help to them will be a task, due to excessive corruption.....Was'nt it Haiti, where they found earthquake aid officials selling C.A.R.E packages in the black market? Philippines is a bit like that.....Been lucky enough to have seen much of Asia....

Buffalo, NY

#227 Nov 11, 2013
Yes you called Miami soft and they have lived down to it...The polls seem to agree on #1-2-3 But Stanford is though to be better than Baylor...o.k.
The Saints were sick...They absolutly destroyed the Cowboys...Dallas seemed to be conceding the game in the first half...Shame full.
I hope Manning is OK I think we may see his age catching up , in that he is starting to accumulate little injuries that he isn't recovering as quickly as he had in his prime..
I would love to see him go out winning.
Tomorrow we are @Toledo. ESPNU Toledo isn't in our division we have a one game lead so this is one that we can afford to lose...Toledo is favored by 4
I seen photos from a small city called Tacloban. The only thing that I can compare those photos to is the photos from Hiroshima. There was one with a handful of people praying in a wrecked church. I am in no way religious, but thas was one was so powerful that it caused me to say a quick one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 5 hr Morningwood 2,931
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law Jun 18 Muzzie confusion 12
Quote of the Day (Feb '08) Jun 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 479
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Jun 16 A Commenter 1,176
The Geek Group Jun 15 Redrider87 3
News Teen shot by police on probation for earlier sh... May 31 About time 1
News 18-year-old shot by Grand Rapids police during ... May 31 No doubt 1

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages