Convicted Grand Rapids drug dealer lo...

Convicted Grand Rapids drug dealer loses appeal

There are 45 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Aug 13, 2008, titled Convicted Grand Rapids drug dealer loses appeal. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A federal appeals court has upheld the conviction of a drug dealer whose heroin was blamed in the death of a Grand Rapids-area teen in 2004.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dwgd

Utica, MI

#1 Aug 13, 2008
first off he did not loses so you stpid pplez need to stop
Bryan

Riverside, CA

#2 Aug 13, 2008
duh gee dwgd your heroin must be affecting your brain he will stay in jail and do his time wich he deserves i just hope the jail learns that he was a little snitchin bitc- i am sure he will become someones little man.
LawMichigander

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Aug 13, 2008
Interesting, so giving someone a little drugs sends you to jail for life but spousal abuse, killing someone, in Michigan gets you just a few years.
Richard

Syracuse, NY

#4 Aug 13, 2008
Leave him there.
CIA and DEA

Lawrence, MI

#5 Aug 13, 2008
dwgd wrote:
first off he did not loses so you stpid pplez need to stop
He may not have lost on the merit, but he did on the procedural rule of court.

He had a suck a.ss lawyer. Any 1st year paralegal would have brought that up in the original trial and not wait for appeal.

As you probably know, only issue's considered in the original trial can be considered on appeal, unless there is compelling exonerating evidence that wasn't available at the time of the first trial.

This yo-yo could have easily asked for such an instruction during the first trial because it was known at the time.

Not only was he a worthless drug dealer, he was a bad one.
First rule of thumb.
If you plan on being a successful criminal, retain the best attorney's.
Don't you people watch the Soprano's?
Corruption Control

East Syracuse, NY

#6 Aug 13, 2008
this guy deserves some time but the procedural rule of court is unjust. Any new evidence should be admissable anytime. Its all about the prosecutions win column and not justice. May God punish the court system for being corrupt.
CIA and DEA

Lawrence, MI

#7 Aug 13, 2008
Corruption Control wrote:
this guy deserves some time but the procedural rule of court is unjust. Any new evidence should be admissable anytime. Its all about the prosecutions win column and not justice. May God punish the court system for being corrupt.
It isn't unjust, it's been our way of law for over 200 years.

It is not "new evidence"! It was known at the time of the original trial and should have been brought up then.

""Eugene Atkins II claims he shouldn't be blamed for Matthew McKinney's death because another person could have called for medical help. He says the jury that heard his case in 2006 should have been given that instruction.""

Did Mr. Atkins know in 2006 that someone could have called for help? Yes.

That is not new evidence that if taken in conjunction with the rest of the evidence would have caused a jury to acquit. It does not exonerate Mr. Atkins from being a drug dealer whose product causes death.

I'm not saying it isn't a valid pursuit or a mitigating circumstance, but it wouldn't have caused a jury to find Mr. Atkins not guilty even if it was raised during the original trial.

“Part of the uninformed masses.”

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids

#8 Aug 14, 2008
I think overturning over a decision only on the merit of a court room procedure is a dirty trick. In the end, you still provided drugs to someone who died and most likely would have continued doing that to this day. Do you really think you have a place outside the Big House if that is what you contribute to society?
Fla Fla Flo-High

Littleton, CO

#9 Aug 14, 2008
LawMichigander wrote:
Interesting, so giving someone a little drugs sends you to jail for life but spousal abuse, killing someone, in Michigan gets you just a few years.
Good point!
MS PRETTY

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Aug 14, 2008
Fla Fla Flo-High wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point!
i totally agree with u for sure. please dont get me wrong i believe he deserves a bit of time but the guy who actually was sitten right next to him when he died ah just walks away like nothen happend he as well was doing the same dam thing illegal drugs wait i think he might have got some probation but to no something was wrong with ur friend and just leave him come on he needs a bit of time with bubba as well!

Since: Jul 08

Kalamazoo, MI

#11 Aug 14, 2008
will be interesting to see how the courts play out the new case with the Portage girl who was charged in the OD death of the teenager.
V to the T

Plymouth, MI

#12 Aug 14, 2008
Put that piece of crap away for life.. One less piece of garbage on the streets of Grand Rapids.
Rock

New York, NY

#13 Aug 14, 2008
V to the T wrote:
Put that piece of crap away for life.. One less piece of garbage on the streets of Grand Rapids.
I was trying to think of the right thing to say... Seems now I don't need to worry about it!
Hear Me

Holland, MI

#14 Aug 14, 2008
This entire case was biased and racist. If a white guy had sold drugs to a black guy that died after taking them, everyone would have said,'the black guy shouldn't have taken the drugs, it's his own fault.' But since the table was turned, it's the fault of the dealer. The so called friend that brought the drugs from Atkins was more to blame than Atkins. He's the one who gave the drugs to the victim and he's he one that watched the victim die while refusing to call for help. No you tell me who should be in prison? Both of them should be in prison. Instead the black guy gets life and the white guy gets life! Typical west Michigan justice! I can't wait to see the outcome of this new case with the white dealer and the white victim. I smell probation with no prison time.......
Hear Me

Holland, MI

#15 Aug 14, 2008
Sorry - In my original post I meant to say the black guy gets prison and the white guy gets probation.

Since: Jul 08

Kalamazoo, MI

#16 Aug 14, 2008
Hear Me wrote:
This entire case was biased and racist. If a white guy had sold drugs to a black guy that died after taking them, everyone would have said,'the black guy shouldn't have taken the drugs, it's his own fault.' But since the table was turned, it's the fault of the dealer. The so called friend that brought the drugs from Atkins was more to blame than Atkins. He's the one who gave the drugs to the victim and he's he one that watched the victim die while refusing to call for help. No you tell me who should be in prison? Both of them should be in prison. Instead the black guy gets life and the white guy gets life! Typical west Michigan justice! I can't wait to see the outcome of this new case with the white dealer and the white victim. I smell probation with no prison time.......
I think you're right
Rock

New York, NY

#17 Aug 14, 2008
I guess I kind of agree. But I believe that ANYONE who sells heroin should rot in hell forever.

But, that's just me...
Sandman

Caledonia, MI

#18 Aug 14, 2008
Hear Me wrote:
This entire case was biased and racist. If a white guy had sold drugs to a black guy that died after taking them, everyone would have said,'the black guy shouldn't have taken the drugs, it's his own fault.' But since the table was turned, it's the fault of the dealer. The so called friend that brought the drugs from Atkins was more to blame than Atkins. He's the one who gave the drugs to the victim and he's he one that watched the victim die while refusing to call for help. No you tell me who should be in prison? Both of them should be in prison. Instead the black guy gets life and the white guy gets life! Typical west Michigan justice! I can't wait to see the outcome of this new case with the white dealer and the white victim. I smell probation with no prison time.......
ya right, ok what ever you say OJ.
Just Saying

Saint Joseph, MI

#19 Aug 14, 2008
Gm makes the car, the dealership sells the car, the buyer drives the car and runs someone down and kills them. Is GM supposed to be held responsible for the death?
No, this guy should have been tried and convicted of selling drugs and then sentenced to LIFE in prison.
Just Saying....
CIA and DEA

Lawrence, MI

#20 Aug 14, 2008
Hear Me wrote:
This entire case was biased and racist. If a white guy had sold drugs to a black guy that died after taking them, everyone would have said,'the black guy shouldn't have taken the drugs, it's his own fault.' But since the table was turned, it's the fault of the dealer. The so called friend that brought the drugs from Atkins was more to blame than Atkins. He's the one who gave the drugs to the victim and he's he one that watched the victim die while refusing to call for help. No you tell me who should be in prison? Both of them should be in prison. Instead the black guy gets life and the white guy gets life! Typical west Michigan justice! I can't wait to see the outcome of this new case with the white dealer and the white victim. I smell probation with no prison time.......
Think what you want but there are several white people who are doing time in prison for providing drugs that resulted in someone's death.

In fact THE FIRST person to be charged under the new statute of 2006 IS a WHITE guy.
He gave one of his buddy's some of his prescription.
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) 12 hr bonds77 396
Local News Women (Apr '09) Mon NewsFan13 2,905
Poll What about Obama's wife? (Aug '10) May 20 Horrific 378
Sonic's GR History? (Sep '09) May 12 Cdoxie 15
News The cold, hard facts about seven winter driving... (Nov '14) May 10 then thaw Floods ... 2
The Geek Group May 10 Redrider87 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) May 9 Wyoming Bob 1,174

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages