Marine, home on leave, dies in motorcycle accident

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A motorcyclist, home on leave from the United States Marine Corps, died in an accident on US-131 that authorities believe happened sometime Sunday night.
Comments
1 - 20 of 70 Comments Last updated May 22, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Floyd

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 May 19, 2008
SAD
tom

Caledonia, MI

#2 May 19, 2008
where was he from?.......
such a sad thing.......where was he from??
Sean

United States

#3 May 19, 2008
As a fellow motorcyclist my prayers go out to his family and friends.... RIP noah
Emilee Zandbergen

United States

#4 May 19, 2008
I am a close family friend to Noah. He was originally from Allegan somewhere. He was staying with my aunt & uncle (with whom his brother and pregnant sister in law is living with currently). He had been on active leave for two weeks and had to return to Iraq in two weeks. He was fighting in the roughest part of Iraq (Felusha ???) and was in charge of bringing fallen soldiers back to base. And although I did not know him well, I have fond memories of trick or treating with him while we were younger. We are all terribly saddened by this news and have more questions than we do answers. We need prayers, lots of them....and we need to encourage the news and papers to remember him as a soldier, a Marine. Somebody who faught day in and day out for US. And he died in our own backyard. Thank you for your prayers, your concerns, your blessings, and your support through all of this.
nick

Silver Spring, MD

#5 May 19, 2008
we just got back from iraq a couple weeks ago... and this has to happen

“Fageddaboudit”

Since: Apr 08

Red Arrow Country

#6 May 19, 2008
Semper Fi, young man.
Kelly

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 May 19, 2008
My heart & prayers go out to Noah & his family, his brother & wife & future niece/nephew. Tom & Sandy who are like family & to all those that were touched by Noah's sense of service & willingness to give his life for others and to end so tragically in his own backyard. He will be missed and is very loved.

Hopefully this will be a reminder to all to be extremely careful with our lives, the are fragile & precious.
MEGDOG

Detroit, MI

#8 May 19, 2008
How about slow down! Marines aren't excused from traffic laws last I knew. And Marines aren't invincible last I knew. It is very sad and my sympathy goes out, but he's awfully lucky he didn't injure someone else in the process.
Rob

Jenison, MI

#9 May 19, 2008
Sad story, may all be blessed.
Danielle

Southfield, MI

#10 May 19, 2008
Noah is the most wonderful person you would ever meet. I am his cousin and we have definately had some great times together. Noah loved to ride by the seat of his pants, he loved to have fun, he loved to go fast, and he most definately loved to take risks. Noah played by his own set of rules and that's what made him extra special. He did what everyone talked about doing. Noah made his life count and lived his life to the fullest. He was scheduled to go back to Iraq on June 2nd. Noah had so many great stories of being over seas. Everyone loved to be around Noah and it was simply impossible not to smile while you were in his presence. Noah was sooo special to us. Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers!
JMK

Troy, MI

#11 May 19, 2008
Annual traffic related deaths in the US: 40,000+
Annual combat fatalities in Iraq:~1,000
Just something to think about.

My condolences to the family, it's certainly too bad. Thank you for your service Noah.
tom

Caledonia, MI

#12 May 19, 2008
young guy, sad case.......a motorcycle again
denise

Lapeer, MI

#13 May 19, 2008
Sorry to hear about your marine, brother, son. My prayers go out to the family and friends...Slow down on these bikes, the lives that are being taken are precious....
From Wayland

Madison, WI

#14 May 19, 2008
It is a tragedy that this person lost his life. His service to our nation is appreciated, and our prayers go out to the family.

WOOD TV needs to correct this broadcast. Dee Morrison equated the motorcycle endorsement on his license with having gone through "safety classes". Nothing could be further from the truth. All the endorsement means is that he passed a driving test required by the Sectretary of State -- nothing more. We should change the requirement in Michigan so that motorcyclists are required to complete Motorcycle Safety Foundation (or other equivalent) training to gain the endorsement going forward.
Car Guy

Shelbyville, MI

#15 May 19, 2008
very Sad, and we may never know what caused it.
Our thoughts and Prayers go to the Family, and Our Thanks for serving our Country also

Since: May 08

Lansing

#16 May 19, 2008
I am very glad nobody else was hurt in this horrible tragedy. Even though it was foolish to drive that fast, I don't know what was going through his mind, maybe seeing comrades injured and dying/dead, maybe the idea of having to go back there. I don't know because I haven't seen what he has seen and felt. All I know is that it is just a horrible tragedy no matter the circumstances and my heart goes out to his family and friends and fellow soldiers.
Tactful

Battle Creek, MI

#17 May 19, 2008
MEGDOG wrote:
How about slow down! Marines aren't excused from traffic laws last I knew. And Marines aren't invincible last I knew. It is very sad and my sympathy goes out, but he's awfully lucky he didn't injure someone else in the process.
I think we all know going too fast is bad. Good job being critical of the victim.
Dorr man

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 May 19, 2008
My thoughts and prayers go the Noah's family and friends. May we remember that he fought for OUR country, dealing with all the trouble in a world far away and he comes home for some R & R to spend time with his family. Semper Fi fellow Marine, Semper Fi.....
Car Guy

Shelbyville, MI

#19 May 19, 2008
MEGDOG, We don't know any of the Real cicumstances, and speed was "suspected" due to the distance off road, Well, you ever get tired and nod off?? could be as simple as being drowsy, and driving straight at 70 instead of turning with the road. 70 will take you a long ways.
Trish

Hudsonville, MI

#20 May 19, 2008
MEGDOG wrote:
WHY ARE YOU SO NEGITIVE/// THIS YOUNG MAN IS FIGHTING FOR OUR COUNTRY,,NOT SITTING AT HOME AND SLAMMING A ACCIDENT,, thank you noah for your services,,our prayers go our to all friends and family members,,sorry for the insencitive(SP) people on here...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why war with isis? 1 hr Colonel Sanders 19
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 1 hr Colonel Sanders 9
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 3 hr wiz 934
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 7 hr Phil 9
The cheerleaders with their tight skirts are v... Thu Phil 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Thu Buffalo Bull 1,326
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... Thu Batch 37 Pain Is ... 314
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••