Heartwell defends supporting parks cash

Whoever came up with the saying "Politics makes strange bedfellows" might have envisioned the sight at Grand Rapids City Hall last week. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Just Thinking”

Since: Nov 07

Jenison, MI

#21 Mar 24, 2009
kris wrote:
hi is like aig need more money for his sallary. this money belong to home owners peoples not park in crissis then you hungry every day or homles , who care about new park , only rich gridy S''''
It is easier to have a job, a home, and food on the table when you can write and speak English. And, last I knew, parks are important to children, regardless of income - they are not usually used by "rich gridy (greedy?)" people. Just my 2 cents worth out of my paycheck.

That said, I hope the money does get used to assist people in foreclosure, etc.
James

Grand Rapids, MI

#22 Mar 24, 2009
Why are we spending money on crescent park? It sits next to the VanAndel Institute and half of the park has been destroyed by the construction on such. Why in the world is'nt the institute paying for the damage done? Or the construction company that did the damage? Take a walk by it, the giant tire marks are pretty clear to this day.
Cathy

Southfield, MI

#23 Mar 24, 2009
It's sickening to watch and listen to our politicians doing business behind closed doors or directing money for the advancement of their issues. Heartwell especially. He is a part of the problem in Grand Rapids. Does he really think that the money from Countrywide deserved to go to the parks of his political buddies? He said he did. That's why he is part of the problem with Grand Rapids. He needs to be replaced.
Ren Hoek

Amelia Court House, VA

#24 Mar 24, 2009
Oh great, lets 'give' the money to an agency (United Way) that certainly has a reputataion for less than credible accounting practices and will undoubtedly find a way to pocket about 60 to 80 percent for alleged administrative costs...my aching asthmatic Chihuahua ass! For that matter if Secchia was so concerned with Millennium Park why didn't he fund it himself and take the tax break; he sure as hell could have afforded it!

This is OUR money as tax payers; amazing how we have no voice in how it is spent! Why is it left to those who line their personal and their party pockets to decide where OUR money is spent?

Help the people who need it, keep our city from further becoming a ghost town of vacant homes and office buildings and the butt of sick jokes eg., "Will the last one out of Michigan, please turn out the lights!"

As for mayoral flip-flops, sadly who is surprised. Maybe the mayor needs a PR firm to handle his mis-steps...where is Ginny Seyferth and her cohorts when you really need her?
From another Mother

Ann Arbor, MI

#25 Mar 24, 2009
The mayor may be flip-flopping but what about Cox? All this is about giving money to the Republican's pet projects (ie: Parks) instead of where it was intended-homeowners facing foreclosure!! This was/is Cox's baby and Heartwell had his hand out ready for the taking. Shame on them both! Politics at it's best. It seems the norm lately.
From another Mother

Ann Arbor, MI

#26 Mar 24, 2009
James wrote:
Why are we spending money on crescent park? It sits next to the VanAndel Institute and half of the park has been destroyed by the construction on such. Why in the world is'nt the institute paying for the damage done? Or the construction company that did the damage? Take a walk by it, the giant tire marks are pretty clear to this day.
Totally agree!! What a sham. They go in and ruin it and yet money for something else will pay for their mess. VanAndel can and should pay for the parks reconstruction.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#27 Mar 24, 2009
What a useless mayor.
Joyful Girl

Lansing, MI

#28 Mar 24, 2009
James wrote:
Knock-knock, WOOD TV8 - how about this for a Target 8 Investigation? Please help us understand why public money would even be considered for Crescent Park when either VanAndel Institute or the construction company who destroyed the park are responsible for it's current condition? Sure seems like a no-brainer to me!
PISSED

United States

#29 Mar 24, 2009
heartwell starting to remind me of the former king kwame of detroit.....
DEF

Grand Rapids, MI

#30 Mar 24, 2009
Holy crap, it's almost like politicians-- regardless of party-- cannot be trusted with power.

Who'd have seen that coming?
Shop Girl

Horton, MI

#31 Mar 24, 2009
Let's not forget -- Mayor Heartwell wasn't the only elected GR City official shaking Mike Cox's hand and smiling about all this money going to those two parks. City Commissioner Walt Gutowski was also right there with the Mayor and the AG, with a big smile on his face as well.
Judi

Dearborn Heights, MI

#32 Mar 26, 2009
Glad I don't have to deal with George Heartwell. He only cares about his ego and money, not the people of Grand Rapids. And this man is a minister?
TOM

Sparta, MI

#33 Apr 1, 2009
Why you ask....because Heartwell is the grand Puba of morons.
Am I the only one that remembers when the voters struck down Affirmative Action and Mr Heartwell stated that he was not going to let that happen,he was not going to listen to the voters and would keep Affirmative Action in place.
NOT LISTEN to the voters.....and.....yet he got re-elected.This man does not remember from one day to the next what he has said on public record.
Get rid of him people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 3 hr Buffalo Bull 1,687
How Liberal Pantywads React To Brain William's ... 10 hr Oneal 6
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Fri Snowstruck 69
Attorney's shortchanging of State Bar scuttles ... Thu duh 3
MARVIN unemployment service now online (Jan '09) Feb 24 Pissed 173
Local News Women (Apr '09) Feb 24 Dumbo 2,342
Take the Presidential Competency Quiz Feb 23 DR X 4
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:44 am PST

NFL 9:44AM
Ready to ride the Theo Riddick hype train?
Bleacher Report 8:29 PM
Latest Lions Free Agency News, Rumors
Bleacher Report 7:18 AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report11:55 AM
Could Lions Use Round 1 Draft Pick on Running Back to Replace Reggie Bush?
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?