Created by Knowsem on Jan 17, 2009

17 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Knowsem

Somerset, KY

#1 Jan 17, 2009
If the employees want any protection of their work rights and protection of their Individual Retirement Accounts, they should seek Union representation NOW!
If interested, contact Teamsters at 25 Louisiana Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001.
Interested

Somerset, KY

#2 Jan 18, 2009
Knowsem wrote:
If the employees want any protection of their work rights and protection of their Individual Retirement Accounts, they should seek Union representation NOW!
If interested, contact Teamsters at 25 Louisiana Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001.
More at Super Service are voting than here, but the results are the same--100% for a union.
Interested

Somerset, KY

#3 Jan 18, 2009
P.S. The Super Service poll is under the Somerset, KY Forum.
No union

AOL

#4 Jan 19, 2009
When in dought start a Union

Bla Bla Bla

a union is helping the car companies isnt it ??NOOO it is helping to kill the industry

A union is NOT the answer

“Come, heed the wisdom”

Since: Sep 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Jan 19, 2009
A union is nothing more than an extra layer of bureaucracy on top of a company. Far from being a voice of the worker they are just another fat cat looking for a chunk of the pie. But, if there is one thing you can count on it's that people are easily manipulated by weasels.
Need

Somerset, KY

#6 Jan 20, 2009
No union wrote:
When in dought start a Union
Bla Bla Bla
a union is helping the car companies isnt it ??NOOO it is helping to kill the industry
A union is NOT the answer
We are not interested in a union to help GAINEY--it has had enough HELP (millions of dollars) already. We are interested in the poor workers having a fair shake and a livable wage and fair working conditions.
Need

Somerset, KY

#7 Jan 20, 2009
Collin K wrote:
A union is nothing more than an extra layer of bureaucracy on top of a company. Far from being a voice of the worker they are just another fat cat looking for a chunk of the pie. But, if there is one thing you can count on it's that people are easily manipulated by weasels.
The difference is WAGES. One of the most if not the most successful trucking companies in the country is a union company--ABF. UPS employees do okay, too.

“Come, heed the wisdom”

Since: Sep 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Jan 20, 2009
Yes, wages tend to be higher. That works out for a little while. But look how well it's working out for the auto industry now. The problem is that the union virtually has to keep asking for more. If they don't they'll seem irrelevant. So they keep asking for more and more until companies get sick of it. With the auto industry it's easy enough to go overseas or to Mexico. For trucking companies it'll be harder but not that hard. All the owners have to do is fund another startup company with lower wages and no union. Suddenly companies flock to the cheaper truck line, run by the same people, and the union dies on the vine just like it should. Those two shipping companies you mentioned don't do good because of unions but despite them. Trucking is an easy monopoly. If truckers strike the country is screwed. So companies have to tread carefully. That and UPS tends to look suspiciously like a mob front...
Unionguy

Somerset, KY

#9 Jan 20, 2009
Collin K wrote:
Yes, wages tend to be higher. That works out for a little while. But look how well it's working out for the auto industry now. The problem is that the union virtually has to keep asking for more. If they don't they'll seem irrelevant. So they keep asking for more and more until companies get sick of it. With the auto industry it's easy enough to go overseas or to Mexico. For trucking companies it'll be harder but not that hard. All the owners have to do is fund another startup company with lower wages and no union. Suddenly companies flock to the cheaper truck line, run by the same people, and the union dies on the vine just like it should. Those two shipping companies you mentioned don't do good because of unions but despite them. Trucking is an easy monopoly. If truckers strike the country is screwed. So companies have to tread carefully. That and UPS tends to look suspiciously like a mob front...
I would agree with you if only a few companies were unionized. It needs to be industry wide. In fact I know that the Teamsters have already been contacted regarding J. B. Hunt, Werner, and other major carriers. I would suggest that all with five or more trucks be unionized. Otherwise, you are right, it would create a mad house for fly-by-night start-up companies.
NEED

Somerset, KY

#10 Jan 20, 2009
Collin K wrote:
If you will check out the Forum at Somerset, KY,[POLL] you will see a story of Super Service failing to pay temp employees for computer down time. This shows just how badly a union is needed, notwithstanding temps wouldn't be covered by union contacts most likely.
A Sad Day For Us

AOL

#11 Jan 21, 2009
I did seasonal help for UPS (Great company to work for by the way) but doing only one and a half months worth of work to help during the holiday I still had to pay union dues

I got nothing from the union and my work was only to help during christmas tiome then you are let go before the new year

Union had to have there money for no other reason than because they could

You would think for a mont or two they would exempt the sesaonal help but NOOOO they gotta get it when ever they can

This makes the union look bad to me
Need

Somerset, KY

#12 Jan 21, 2009
A Sad Day For Us wrote:
I did seasonal help for UPS (Great company to work for by the way) but doing only one and a half months worth of work to help during the holiday I still had to pay union dues
I got nothing from the union and my work was only to help during christmas tiome then you are let go before the new year
You would think for a mont or two they would exempt the sesaonal help but NOOOO they gotta get it when ever they can
I agree with you. It is my understanding, and correction is welcome--that most have to be employed for 90 days before being in the union. If this is correct, then it would seem fair that no union dues until a member.
I think you were not treated right by UPS or the union. However, looking at it via bigger picture, thousands and thousands of truck drivers have been mistreated and abused by companies that do not have to abide by the minimun wages laws or pay overtime, or while setting for a day or longer living at truck stops, pay nothing at all.
I do not deny that I have heard of bad union behavior, and I guess that are mostly true. istill believe that they are the lesser of evils.
News

Somerset, KY

#13 Jan 23, 2009
Need wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. It is my understanding, and correction is welcome--that most have to be employed for 90 days before being in the union. If this is correct, then it would seem fair that no union dues until a member.
I think you were not treated right by UPS or the union. However, looking at it via bigger picture, thousands and thousands of truck drivers have been mistreated and abused by companies that do not have to abide by the minimun wages laws or pay overtime, or while setting for a day or longer living at truck stops, pay nothing at all.
I do not deny that I have heard of bad union behavior, and I guess that are mostly true. istill believe that they are the lesser of evils.
Voters needed!
Knows

Somerset, KY

#14 Feb 2, 2009
Knowsem wrote:
Is there really a lck of interest in this matter?
Truckerguy

Somerset, KY

#15 Feb 6, 2009
Knows wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there really a lack of interest in this matter?
Truckers work without any wage support and at the mercy of the employers. Laws that applies to other workers do not apply to transportation workers. So, yes, we do need union representation.
GURU

Middlesboro, KY

#16 Mar 29, 2009
A Sad Day For Us wrote:
This sucks!
GURU

Middlesboro, KY

#17 Mar 29, 2009
News wrote:
<quoted text>
Voters needed!
Everybody involved with trucking should vote.
I hear the Super Service is still haring in Somerset and that J. B. Hunt is not, but trying to sell their trucks on lease purchase. I know a driver that went that route about two years ago and lost more than $20,000 the first year and came back to being a company driver.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Martin741 1,925
Tremors of the Earthquake Kind 19 hr dotmcmillon 1
bruce jenner!? who cares! 19 hr Orenthal James 3
News Earthquake! Tremors felt in West Michigan (Apr '08) 19 hr endoftimes 225
News a Pay It Forward Daya encourages people to help... Sat RushFan666 2
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers Fri Batch 37 Pain Is ... 73
Ladies - Make $$ w/ your feet Fri Suagr 5
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]