Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Flawed wrote:
<quoted text>
A punch has been proven to be deadly over and over again as well. ANY type of force can potentially deadly. How many people have died in Policce Custody, where the death was not due to brutality? How many suspects have fallen off roofs, run into traffic, etc, while attempting to flee the police? The suspect ran into his house as you say, after already assaulting the officer... I wonder if you have the numbers on the number of Police Officers killed by suspects who ran into their own houses... Where do you think that the average criminal would keep a weapon, that they do not have in their possession? That answer would be "In their own home." The officer used what is considered "Non-Lethal" force in subdueing the suspect, a suspect who had already shown himself to be violent.
He was wrong, it was lethal force and there is enough evidence out there now to prove it. I don't care how many cops were killed by this or that in evaluating this situation. Sure cops get killed at traffic stops so what are we going to do let them stick a gun in our face everytime they stop us for speeding. It is a dangerous job, they know it going in, if they don't like it do something else. Just because it is dangerous does not mean they get to use deadly force every time someone takes a swing at them. If someone swung at a non cop, the victim cannot use deadly force, why should they be able to?

How's that investigation into the fatal Muskegon shooting case coming, it seems to have reached quagmire status?

Since: Sep 08

Muskegon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Flawed wrote:
<quoted text>
A punch has been proven to be deadly over and over again as well. ANY type of force can potentially deadly. How many people have died in Policce Custody, where the death was not due to brutality? How many suspects have fallen off roofs, run into traffic, etc, while attempting to flee the police? The suspect ran into his house as you say, after already assaulting the officer... I wonder if you have the numbers on the number of Police Officers killed by suspects who ran into their own houses... Where do you think that the average criminal would keep a weapon, that they do not have in their possession? That answer would be "In their own home." The officer used what is considered "Non-Lethal" force in subdueing the suspect, a suspect who had already shown himself to be violent.
Agreed. And the subject line of this topic is irresponsible. We don't know if that's what killed him yet. If he was on drugs or had a preexisting medical condition it may have been exacerbated by the taser.

“Everybody gets one (L)”

Since: Apr 09

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
Here is a solution...... Comply...
Ding!

Since: Jun 09

GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said not to respect them, that is different than doing everything they tell you to do. Now the story is that the others had already left the house so the kid ran into an empty house, his house or at least his home. How many EGR cops does it take to subdue someone who is 5:5 or so and weighs less than 150#. If they would have grabbed him instead of playing with their new toy they might have avoided what is going to be a fiasco one way or the other.
I'm 5'7, 165 but have martial art skills. I can subdue or harm a larger person any number of ways. As an officer you have no idea what you're dealing with in this kind of situation. This person could be on drugs or packing a weapon . All I'm saying is you cannot base a case on the suspects size. These are trained officers who make life and death decisions in the moment. It's pretty easy for you ACLU ambulance chasers to analyze the situation after the fact.

Regardless, any civilian can own a tazer and use it if attacked. Last I heard it was still within an officers rights to use one in an apprehension. You're campaigning to take yet another weapon out of the hands of police officers who are already overmatched.

If you had your way our police would be running around weaponless. The next time an officer gets killed in the line of duty because he/she didn't use more force than the suspect I'm sure you'll be off on another thread asking if the tramp is married yet.

Muskegon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
He was wrong, it was lethal force and there is enough evidence out there now to prove it. I don't care how many cops were killed by this or that in evaluating this situation. Sure cops get killed at traffic stops so what are we going to do let them stick a gun in our face everytime they stop us for speeding. It is a dangerous job, they know it going in, if they don't like it do something else. Just because it is dangerous does not mean they get to use deadly force every time someone takes a swing at them. If someone swung at a non cop, the victim cannot use deadly force, why should they be able to?
How's that investigation into the fatal Muskegon shooting case coming, it seems to have reached quagmire status?
It's not in quagmire status. It was turned over to the prosecutor by the state police. If you've been following the case, the cop was so badly injured, that's why the investigation took so long. I'm not a fan of Tony Tague whatsoever, and I don't know how long it will take him to disclose their findings. But I do suspect the cop's injuries are probably compelling evidence that his use of force wasn't excessive.

Pete, the police aren't always wrong. And they have to be able to protect themselves.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Brilliant post, Dingo
say what

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
How many EGR cops does it take to subdue someone who is 5:5 or so and weighs less than 150#.
My daughter is 5' 4" and less than 150 pounds. She is also a martial arts black belt. Care to guess who's going to get hurt if they chose to attempt to 'subdue' her?
A night stick can also kill someone. Wanna ban those too, Pete? A punch in the right place can kill someone. Guess the cops should just hug the guy and give him a puppy, right?

“Everybody gets one (L)”

Since: Apr 09

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

OMG PUPPIES!!!!

oh wait what?!?!

sssorry.
Dan Bana

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

say what wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter is 5' 4" and less than 150 pounds. She is also a martial arts black belt. Care to guess who's going to get hurt if they chose to attempt to 'subdue' her?
A night stick can also kill someone. Wanna ban those too, Pete? A punch in the right place can kill someone. Guess the cops should just hug the guy and give him a puppy, right?
She is going to get hurt if the typical EGR officer tries to subdue her. A night stick can kill if used improperly, it takes a lot of blows to the legs to kill someone, ask Rodney King. The cops should subdue him using the arrest and proper use of force techniques that they spend hours on w/o using a taser. EGR did not have tases until early this year, what did they do for the last 50+ years or so before they got tasers, to the best of my knowledge they have never shot anyone.

Since: Jun 09

GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Dan Bana wrote:
<quoted text>
She is going to get hurt if the typical EGR officer tries to subdue her. A night stick can kill if used improperly, it takes a lot of blows to the legs to kill someone, ask Rodney King. The cops should subdue him using the arrest and proper use of force techniques that they spend hours on w/o using a taser. EGR did not have tases until early this year, what did they do for the last 50+ years or so before they got tasers, to the best of my knowledge they have never shot anyone.
They didn't kill Rodney King, just beat the hell out of his drug-crazed arse - and I don't think you're going to strengthen your debate by using Mr. King as your posterboy ... unless you're arguing for the use of deadly force.

“Smells like 1994!”

Since: Jun 08

Stately Wayne Manor

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the most uninformed post I've ever read. What a way to show gratitude for people who put their lives on the line for us on a daily basis. Do you treat every altruistic person with equal contempt?

Comstock Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Fred Tornado wrote:
<quoted text>This is the most uninformed post I've ever read. What a way to show gratitude for people who put their lives on the line for us on a daily basis. Do you treat every altruistic person with equal contempt?
Oh god the cop worship excuse finally came out. Its all ok no matter what they do, shoot the uarmed, rape the vulnerable, taser the troubled to death, blah, blah, blah. Why don't we just build them a gallows and let them summarily execute us.

Comstock Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

_Dingo wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't kill Rodney King, just beat the hell out of his drug-crazed arse - and I don't think you're going to strengthen your debate by using Mr. King as your posterboy ... unless you're arguing for the use of deadly force.
My point is, that must have escaped you, is what they did to King was not lethal and they were convicted for violating his rights. In EGR they used lethal force in a non deadly force situation and they killed the kid, mission accomplished.

Comstock Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

_Dingo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 5'7, 165 but have martial art skills. I can subdue or harm a larger person any number of ways. As an officer you have no idea what you're dealing with in this kind of situation. This person could be on drugs or packing a weapon . All I'm saying is you cannot base a case on the suspects size. These are trained officers who make life and death decisions in the moment. It's pretty easy for you ACLU ambulance chasers to analyze the situation after the fact.
Regardless, any civilian can own a tazer and use it if attacked. Last I heard it was still within an officers rights to use one in an apprehension. You're campaigning to take yet another weapon out of the hands of police officers who are already overmatched.
If you had your way our police would be running around weaponless. The next time an officer gets killed in the line of duty because he/she didn't use more force than the suspect I'm sure you'll be off on another thread asking if the tramp is married yet.
I think it is illegal to have a taser, better send it back.
Twinkee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
He can't use a gun on someone that punched him and then runs into his own home. Do what the cops tell you to is a chicken poop dodge of the real issue. The issue is when can cops use deadly force. Tasers have proven to be deadly over and over again. I have heard nothing that would justify the use of deadly force in this case.
The guy's OWN DAD called the Police, stating that his son was, "out of control" AND there were WEAPONS IN THE HOME
Police can use "deadly force" if they have reason to believe thier life is in danger, isn't that the law Petey? The guy ASSAULTED the Police Officer...What do you think the Police should have done Petey...wrestled with the guy and risk him getting ahold of the Officer's gun?
Twinkee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is illegal to have a taser, better send it back.
Right after I send back my illegal mace

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is, that must have escaped you, is what they did to King was not lethal and they were convicted for violating his rights. In EGR they used lethal force in a non deadly force situation and they killed the kid, mission accomplished.
Think again Pete,

Autopsy results are back and per what's being reported, ME doesn't believe it was the taser. Toxicology is pending.........

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index....

“MI needs the death penalty! ”

Since: Jun 07

Kalkaska

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

The long and the short of this situation is: Someone calls for the police. The police arrive tell you to get on the ground or hands on your head, whatever the command maybe. You comply and story ends. The police and the suspect get to wake up the next morning.
Twinkee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
Think again Pete,
Autopsy results are back and per what's being reported, ME doesn't believe it was the taser. Toxicology is pending.........
Bolick had....cuts from jumping through his home's window

WhyTF would somebody wanna do that for fun on a Monday night?!

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Twinkee wrote:
<quoted text>
Bolick had....cuts from jumping through his home's window
WhyTF would somebody wanna do that for fun on a Monday night?!
maybe he was trying a stunt from a movie he watched recently?!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 3 hr Phil 1
The cheerleaders with their tight skirts are v... 3 hr Phil 1
why war with isis? 4 hr Phil 17
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Buffalo Bull 1,326
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... 10 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 314
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) Wed Kelly Hadd 8
Cousins hope to open Grand Rapids' first hostel... Wed Faith 3
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE