EGRPS Kills 30 Yr. Old W/ Taser

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

United States

#1 Nov 17, 2009
Enough is enough, time to put these damn things away. If the cops don't want to wrestle with unarmed folks they should go find another job.

United States

#2 Nov 17, 2009
Big O

Jackson, MI

#3 Nov 17, 2009
Tasered him once, tasered him twice,
Gonna find out if he's naughty or nice ....

United States

#4 Nov 17, 2009
Big O wrote:
Tasered him once, tasered him twice,
Gonna find out if he's naughty or nice ....
I think 2 or 3 younger people were killed with these things in SE Michigan in the last year. Wasn't it just last week that a Lansing cop tasered a guy in cuffs? That guys career should be over.
Big O

Jackson, MI

#5 Nov 17, 2009
This makes #48 taser deaths in the US this year .. here is a list ..

http://electronicvillage.blogspot.com/2009/05...
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#6 Nov 17, 2009
Here is a solution...... Comply...

United States

#7 Nov 17, 2009
Big O wrote:
This makes #48 taser deaths in the US this year .. here is a list ..
http://electronicvillage.blogspot.com/2009/05...
You watch the smear of this 30 yr. old will start with the 10 a.m. press conference this morning. They will probably set the foundation for blaming something besides the taser for his death. Of course he never should have run into his own home from his own front yard, otherwise he would be alive today. There will be speculation about physical condition, medication and substance abuse, the usual suspects.

Once again we don't have all the facts, all we know is that a taser was used and a 30 yr. old died apparently at his home. Lets see what the explanation is but in the meantime every one of those damn things ought to be confiscated until there is a full investigation into their use. They are apparently being used as a substitute for force in non weapon situations. I understand the reluctance of the police to get involved in physical scuffles with folks but I am not sure electrocution is the answer.

As ususal the original reason for police involvement will be interesting, cops seldom ask if the whole thing was necessary. It sounds like they are saying they were responding to some kind of domestic. I believe the deceased is the 30 year old son of the mid 50ish owner of the home. Who called?

United States

#8 Nov 17, 2009
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
Here is a solution...... Comply...
That is one solution but forthwith execution by electrocution is not the penalty for non compliance. WOOD is reporting they can find NO record for this 30 year old. He lives and has lived in EGR for a while, not a place where bad boys can hide easily. They are reporting that he assaulted the officer in the front yard and tried to retreat into the house where they followed him. One good thing is that I am sure tapes were rolling in the EGR squad cars so we should have at least an audio of the whole thing.
Big O

Jackson, MI

#9 Nov 17, 2009
From WOOD-TV forum:

"I know this guy, he's about 5'4'' 135, there is no way the 6'4'' guys egr employs needed to taser him, they should have just arrested him. This is poor judgement by the officers and because of that a man died. I think it may be time to get rid of the taser and give them back batons, I'd rather get broken ribs than a heart attack."
Twinkee

United States

#10 Nov 17, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
Enough is enough, time to put these damn things away. If the cops don't want to wrestle with unarmed folks they should go find another job.
The guy assaulted the Police Officer...But you already knew that, didn't you? SO, the Police Officer had grounds to use a gun [deadly force], but instead used a taser and the outcome happened to turn out the same

How many time do we need to have this discussion Peter, Peter, bullshit eater?...DON'T run from the Police...DON'T assault a Police Officer...DO what the Police Officer tells you to do...

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11 Nov 17, 2009
Dumb ass should not have assaulted a police officer. Could you imagine how difficult their jobs must be WITHOUT peckerheads like this guy?

That being said, tasers NEED to go. they are not non-lethal or harmless like Taser corp says that they are. Bring back the baton and pepper spray.

In my opinion, the police are not to blame because they were doing their jobs correctly. This man was obviously enough of a threat to have to subdue him using force, and the police are now trained to use tasers on almost anything. I blame the system, NOT the officers... but MOST of the blame lies squarely on the jackass who wouldn't comply and was disturbing the peace.
Twinkee

United States

#12 Nov 17, 2009
scambuster wrote:
That being said, tasers NEED to go. they are not non-lethal or harmless like Taser corp says that they are. Bring back the baton and pepper spray.
You're kidding, right? Time for them to go back to using their guns for idiots like the one in this case

Since: Jun 09

GR

#13 Nov 17, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
That is one solution but forthwith execution by electrocution is not the penalty for non compliance. WOOD is reporting they can find NO record for this 30 year old. He lives and has lived in EGR for a while, not a place where bad boys can hide easily. They are reporting that he assaulted the officer in the front yard and tried to retreat into the house where they followed him. One good thing is that I am sure tapes were rolling in the EGR squad cars so we should have at least an audio of the whole thing.
Are you equally as adamant when a deranged idiot assaults a police officer? No. According to you limp-wristed ACLU "anti-policers" pretty much any action taken to subdue a criminal is cause to kick up a fuss.
The reason these criminals resist arrest is because of ambulance chasing special interest groups like the ACLU who constantly defend them by defaming the police before you even get all the facts.

In this case someone was killed. The blood is on the ACLU's hands as much as anyone's for making people believe they don't have to respect an officer of the law.

“Russian ties?”

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#14 Nov 17, 2009
Could this be another case of "suicide by cop"?

Anyone who is stupid enough to assault an officer, has to expect to get it ten times over in return.

United States

#15 Nov 17, 2009
Twinkee wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy assaulted the Police Officer...But you already knew that, didn't you? SO, the Police Officer had grounds to use a gun [deadly force], but instead used a taser and the outcome happened to turn out the same
How many time do we need to have this discussion Peter, Peter, bullshit eater?...DON'T run from the Police...DON'T assault a Police Officer...DO what the Police Officer tells you to do...
He can't use a gun on someone that punched him and then runs into his own home. Do what the cops tell you to is a chicken poop dodge of the real issue. The issue is when can cops use deadly force. Tasers have proven to be deadly over and over again. I have heard nothing that would justify the use of deadly force in this case.

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

#16 Nov 17, 2009
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index....

A little more info on went on before a taser was used.

United States

#17 Nov 17, 2009
_Dingo wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you equally as adamant when a deranged idiot assaults a police officer? No. According to you limp-wristed ACLU "anti-policers" pretty much any action taken to subdue a criminal is cause to kick up a fuss.
The reason these criminals resist arrest is because of ambulance chasing special interest groups like the ACLU who constantly defend them by defaming the police before you even get all the facts.
In this case someone was killed. The blood is on the ACLU's hands as much as anyone's for making people believe they don't have to respect an officer of the law.
Who said not to respect them, that is different than doing everything they tell you to do. Now the story is that the others had already left the house so the kid ran into an empty house, his house or at least his home. How many EGR cops does it take to subdue someone who is 5:5 or so and weighs less than 150#. If they would have grabbed him instead of playing with their new toy they might have avoided what is going to be a fiasco one way or the other.

“Smells like 1994!”

Since: Jun 08

Stately Wayne Manor

#18 Nov 17, 2009
I feel really bad for the family of this guy. It sounds almost like a diabetic reaction that he might have had. His father said that he was not acting normal, and the guy seemed to shake off the first tasing. This guy was definitely not in his right mind. My prayers go out for the family AND the police involved in this situation. NOBODY wanted this to happen, but the police reacted as they are supposed to in a situation like this. They are forced to assess a situation and react accordingly. I noticed that Big O put up stats on taser deaths, why don't you put up stats on how many situations were resolved peacefully because a taser was used? How many people weren't shot by a real gun because a taser was used? There is no Utopian solution to all of these scenarios, the police do the best they can but some folks just want to tear down our police at any given opportunity.
Flawed

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Nov 17, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
He can't use a gun on someone that punched him and then runs into his own home. Do what the cops tell you to is a chicken poop dodge of the real issue. The issue is when can cops use deadly force. Tasers have proven to be deadly over and over again. I have heard nothing that would justify the use of deadly force in this case.
A punch has been proven to be deadly over and over again as well. ANY type of force can potentially deadly. How many people have died in Policce Custody, where the death was not due to brutality? How many suspects have fallen off roofs, run into traffic, etc, while attempting to flee the police? The suspect ran into his house as you say, after already assaulting the officer... I wonder if you have the numbers on the number of Police Officers killed by suspects who ran into their own houses... Where do you think that the average criminal would keep a weapon, that they do not have in their possession? That answer would be "In their own home." The officer used what is considered "Non-Lethal" force in subdueing the suspect, a suspect who had already shown himself to be violent.
sami

Baxley, GA

#20 Nov 17, 2009
Take the tasers away only because bullets are cheaper and more effective. A properly placed bullet will give the desired outcome every time, whereas tasers only rid the world of scumbags occasionally.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Betty Ford has died. Do you care? (Jul '11) 1 hr Jan 265
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) 5 hr Mikeymike116 615
Local News Women (Apr '09) 6 hr Casual Observer 2,869
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Mon Sounds great 190
i gots to FART Mar 25 poopit 1
are the protesters going to jump Mar 25 Uranus prober 67
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Mar 25 guest 47

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance