Inmate kills self at Ionia prison

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A prisoner at the Richard A. Handlon Correctional Facility in Ionia died Monday after hanging himself in his cell.
Comments
61 - 80 of 146 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2011
froggy log

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exactly right - sinning has nothing to do with it - good grief!! I work in mental health and your explanation is correct. Medication can help - but you need to admit you have a mental illness first which many do not so they don't take meds and that is sad!!!
I would be sad and depressed if I were in Prison, too. Stop making excuses for this Man. He did it to himself. We are all responsible for our own actions. Including Depression.
Sue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

froggy log wrote:
<quoted text>Remember that Sin makes a person Sad. And Sadness causes depression.
Don't sin - what a concept - then you may not end up in jail in the first place either.

Since: Jun 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

turdshooter wrote:
this is so sad. of course people in prison are depressed. they eff up and have lost every thing they have ever know, their children, families, jobs etc. just because they are depressed is no reason to punish them further.
our thoughts and prayers to this mans family and friends.
maybe a law suit would wake the state up to prevent this from happening again.
A law suit??????? wt-f-??? huh? sue who? grrr, stupid idea, stupid, no law suit, you jack
Sue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

froggy log wrote:
<quoted text>I would be sad and depressed if I were in Prison, too. Stop making excuses for this Man. He did it to himself. We are all responsible for our own actions. Including Depression.
Who is making excuses for him - sounded like you were blaming it on "sin" which you said causes depression for crying out loud!! How crazy is that!!
It tore my heart out

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Message to Sandy..thanks for taking time to look up william allen newton up.[true story]..he gained about 100 pounds eating prison food in 19years he is 56years old,could live to 100 years there.he is alive and well..eats,sleeps,well taken care of.

Since: Jul 08

Wyoming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Fred Krueger wrote:
More room for those city tax evaders now.
You took my line!!!!

“THINK before you speak”

Since: Apr 08

mayberry usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

froggy log wrote:
<quoted text>Remember that Sin makes a person Sad. And Sadness causes depression.
Being sad or "blue" is often referred to as depression, but it is not the same thing as "clinical depression" which is a mental disorder. Everyone is sad at times in their life. Not everyone becomes clinically depressed.
froggy log

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't sin - what a concept - then you may not end up in jail in the first place either.
I am saying thats what may have made this man depressed in the first place. Sin put him in jail. And now he became depressed and ended up killing himself.( He murdered himself). All from the Sadness from his sins. It is the truth.
froggy log

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
True.
froggy log

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is making excuses for him - sounded like you were blaming it on "sin" which you said causes depression for crying out loud!! How crazy is that!!
It sounds like you are going crazy, now. And how crazy is that... haha.
unknown

Stanton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Wendy wrote:
What people don't realize is the sheets can be tied together sometimes to hang themselves. He obviously was suffering from depression because for the two charges he had, he didn't have much time left to go. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.
WOW! How long did it take you to come up with that response? Sheets can be tied together.....I would have never thought that.
Sandman

Middleville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

TAZ wrote:
Well, that is too bad. You know this would not have happened if he were in Allegan, they use tents, and I sure the tent would not hold a grown man. I knew this tent thing was genius!
That Kalamazoo co. that has tents....
Kwame

Wyoming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

unknown wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! How long did it take you to come up with that response? Sheets can be tied together.....I would have never thought that.
Kind of a dick response dude. Did you have anything to contribute to the forum or did you just feel like being an a_s_shole to someone?
froggy log

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Sue wrote:
The Mayor of Detroit can take his bed.
And lie in it. Just like Grand Home.

“Mask Carving by Eric Schweig”

Since: Aug 08

Wayland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

It tore my heart out wrote:
Really thought prisoners were being "watched"at all times!!!Look up william allen newton sr.,that s.o.b. is serving Life[not death] for murdering my brother,Tom[Dean] and "william`s" own wife back on march15,1989.He is also in Ionia.Mich.[[We have no death penalty in michigan.]].Look him up on Michigan department of corrections...OTIS...This is being paid for by our taxes!!!!Something is wrong with the whole picture!!!
At first when I read your post "look up" , I thought you were talking to the guards as in "look away" so that this man could "do unto himself what he did to your brother". Most people don't realize that the real "victims" live on the outside of the jails/prisons for every man or women in them.

Since: Feb 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

It takes all kinds wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly are not informed. The state spends nearly $600 MILLION/yr for medications for the dregs of society. His suicide saves about $32k per year, until his space is take by a newly depressed person. Of course prison is depressing, it should be! It's time to stop the baby treatment of these fine upstanding citizens. Yeah, I know they have families but if that was important to them, I would submit they shouldn't be stupid enough to get themselves in prison/jail in the first place.
Yeah, you make alot of sense, but wasnt he receiving these drugs for depression before he went to prison? If thats the case then they should be responsible for the death. Not unless they wanna be a Kervorkian.
Eddie

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Makes room for more. They should let them do this if they want too it saves the taxpayers some $$.
heard this

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

FYI--yesterday when we were at jenison meijers waiting for a persciption,there was a black man there, waiting for his too...Meijers asked him for money to pay for his and he said.."I am a paroled convict.State of Michigan has to pay for my meds."The pharmacist guy said.."I never heard of that".The man would not move away from the counter...I dont know what else happened.We left...[I am not making this up]
Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Ionian wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be they can't stand not breaking the law either. I don't feel sorry for any of them, they put themselves in the situation they are in.
For all of you who want to talk crap about the Corrections Officers have you stopped and thought about the job they have to do and what they are faced with on a daily basis? Why don't you take the time to talk with one of them and let them tell you some stories, you'd probably quit feeling sorry for the criminals!
They are well aware of what the job is like when they take it.
My opinions

South Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Sweet...maybe some of his buddies will follow suit. One less to pay for :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 1 hr Dr X 796
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 2 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 1
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 4 hr Shes awful 79
When will the poledancer grow a set? 6 hr Jim 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) 14 hr Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) Tue JACK 216
•••
•••