Inmate kills self at Ionia prison

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A prisoner at the Richard A. Handlon Correctional Facility in Ionia died Monday after hanging himself in his cell.
Comments
1 - 20 of 146 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2011
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
grandmas rant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

wow
Wendy

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

What people don't realize is the sheets can be tied together sometimes to hang themselves. He obviously was suffering from depression because for the two charges he had, he didn't have much time left to go. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.
Fred Krueger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

More room for those city tax evaders now.
4 Justice

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

Serving time for charges out of Oakland County? I thought the Ionia jail was too full to handle even the locals, more less taking in prisoners from other jurisdictions (for profit of course if he was serving his time there). Or did the report tell the story wrong, meaning he was being held for transfer to Oakland County for charges pending?
4 Justice

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

OOOPS.. Misread the story... He's at Handlon Correctional facility, I assumed the local jail.. My bad. I now see he's in prison.
Student

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

He was an Algebra professor at Ferris State University back in 2004.
I am who I am

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

Here's another seems like theres alot more to this story type stories.....I know my brother was put in jail for something a few years back around Christmas...they asked if he was depressed...he said yes because he missed his kids, it was Christmas time...he was in jail...and they took all his clothes away and tied him to a chair naked for hours! Moral of the story...other than don't go to jail...Never tell them your depressed!
Help them please

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

You hit the nail right on the head "I am who I am"!!! My sons best friend was in the Ionia County jail about 6 years ago. He had previously been in a car accident and was in ICU in a coma (brain injury)for months. His drs. said he would need to be on medication for the rest of his life for depression. In jail he was regressing because they refused him his medication (alough he was 20 his mom was his legal guardian) and she went to the jail and they still refused. He had a second chance at life and because of depression he hung himself in his cell. This is so sad especially when these 2 deaths could possibly been prevented.
Ionian

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Just to make it clear to you all, this happened in one of the prisions in Ionia, NOT at the jail.
color

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

This is a sad story, and so is the one of the young 20 yr. old.
Depression/mental illness is nothing to joke about. My condolences to the family.
karate kid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

People that are not trained, think suicide, can be prevented in a institution are ignorant. As a society we take all possible steps to ensure a safe enviroment including evalution , anti- depressant medication, and talk therapy. But unfornantly a very small number of residents still commit suicide. The only way you could prevent suicide is pay corrections staff to observe the prisoner 24 hours a day , all year long, and just think what that would cost the tax payers.
john grand rapids

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Even the prisoners cant stand living in IONIA
Tax Payer

Burlington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

One more P.O.S we don't have to pay for

Since: Feb 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Why is it that you cannot have your meds in prison? If you need them then they should be giving them to you. If they are going to do this then they should be held responsible for the deaths of these inmates! I for one would be really upset & screaming lawsuit if he was part of my family. If they are prescribed, then you need them...case closed!
Buh Bye

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Another one bites the dust, another bed opens up. And so it goes. I still think we could make even more room with a tree chipper. Probably a lot less discipline problems when they found out about the chipper too. Draw numbers like a lottery. Child molesters first.
Your poor heart

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

color wrote:
This is a sad story, and so is the one of the young 20 yr. old.
Depression/mental illness is nothing to joke about. My condolences to the family.
Sad, in what way?
turdshooter

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

this is so sad. of course people in prison are depressed. they eff up and have lost every thing they have ever know, their children, families, jobs etc. just because they are depressed is no reason to punish them further.

our thoughts and prayers to this mans family and friends.

maybe a law suit would wake the state up to prevent this from happening again.
Yep Yep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

4 Justice wrote:
OOOPS.. Misread the story... He's at Handlon Correctional facility, I assumed the local jail.. My bad. I now see he's in prison.
I don't think he is in prison any more!
Ionian

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

john grand rapids wrote:
Even the prisoners cant stand living in IONIA
Must be they can't stand not breaking the law either. I don't feel sorry for any of them, they put themselves in the situation they are in.
For all of you who want to talk crap about the Corrections Officers have you stopped and thought about the job they have to do and what they are faced with on a daily basis? Why don't you take the time to talk with one of them and let them tell you some stories, you'd probably quit feeling sorry for the criminals!
TAZ

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Well, that is too bad. You know this would not have happened if he were in Allegan, they use tents, and I sure the tent would not hold a grown man. I knew this tent thing was genius!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 3 hr Oneal 705
More Lois Lerner Email Shenanigans 10 hr Oneal 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) 16 hr SOS in Mesa 2,293
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 17 hr Outrageous 76
Review: A-1 Appliance Repair (Jan '10) Wed Cooking Herb 20
The Russian need a bullet in his head Wed Oneal 4
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Wed gottondas 5,482
•••
•••