Roman Polanski's Supporters

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark Luxford

United States

#1 Dec 5, 2009
Given the fact that Roman Polanski has met his bail obligations and has been transferred to house arrest in his luxury Swiss chalet, I believe it's appropriate to focus on those misguided souls who have come out publicly in support of him.

The October 26 issue of The Nation magazine had an interesting little poem in it by Calvin Trillin titled "What Whoopi Goldberg ("Not a Rape-Rape), Harvey Weinstein ("So-Called Crime") et al. Are Saying in Their Outrage Over The Arrest of Roman Polanski"

A youthful error? Yes, perhaps.
But he's been punished for this lapse---
For decades exiled from LA
He knows, as he wakes up each day,
He'll miss the movers and shakers.
He'll never get to see the Lakers.
For just one old and small mischance,
He has to live in Paris, France.
He's suffered slurs and other stuff.
Has he not suffered quite enough?
How can these people get so riled?
He only raped a single child.

Why make him into some Darth Vader
For sodomizing one eighth grader?
This man is brilliant, that's for sure--
Authentically, a film auteur.
He gets awards that are his due.
He knows important people, too--
Important people just like us.
And we know how to make a fuss.
Celebrities would just be fools
To play by little people's rules.
So Roman's banner we unfurl.
He only raped one little girl.

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Since: Oct 08

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Dec 5, 2009
"How can these people get so riled?
He only raped a single child."

????

Are you kidding me? And they published this? He was 40+ years old when that happened, it's not like he was a teenager. How can anyone make a case defending this? The real travesty is that it is taking 30 years to hold him accountable. All I can say is that the mentality of this attitude is liberalism at it's most extreme.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#3 Dec 5, 2009
Progressives Suck

“Pleasantly Deranged”

Since: Apr 08

West Michigan

#4 Dec 5, 2009
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
Progressives Suck
That's what Ted Haggard said......

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Kalamazoo, MI

#5 Dec 5, 2009
Wide_Stance wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what Ted Haggard said......
Do you suppose these same people would write a nice little poem supporting him- especially if his acts had involved a child?

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#6 Dec 6, 2009
Justice delayed is justice denied.

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

#7 Dec 6, 2009
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
Progressives Suck
Dam*...I was about to write 6 or 7 paragraphs and you just said it all in two words. Amen

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#8 Dec 6, 2009
All I can say is that his supporters are jerks that have no moral values.

“Pleasantly Deranged”

Since: Apr 08

West Michigan

#9 Dec 6, 2009
spartanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you suppose these same people would write a nice little poem supporting him- especially if his acts had involved a child?
No, not really. It was just a li'l joke. Probably no poems, but perhaps a hymn or prayer of some sort.

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Kalamazoo, MI

#10 Dec 6, 2009
Wide_Stance wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not really. It was just a li'l joke. Probably no poems, but perhaps a hymn or prayer of some sort.
I know, kind of a rhetorical question. That anyone could drum up any kind of support for these low-lifes is unbelievable.
Twinks

Deerfield, IL

#11 Dec 6, 2009
The Romans will be at Polaski Days???...WTF?!
Allende

Belmont, NH

#12 Dec 6, 2009
Gail in Wyoming wrote:
All I can say is that his supporters are jerks that have no moral values.
On this I agree with you. Polanski is a perv.
Flawed

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Dec 7, 2009
I really do not think that the poem was written in support of Polanski... I think it was showing the asinine level that some of these show biz liberals are willing to go to support one of their own. I do hope that Justice is served. Polanski admitted doing it, there is no question on that. Since he has escaped Justice for so long, while existing in the public eye, flaunting it outside of the reach of the US government, I think that his punishment should be served ex-communicati.. No communication with the outside world... Let the ideas in his head fester there... Why reward him?

As for those who support him, I wonder if it were their 13 year old daughter, sister, etc., would they feel the same way?
say what

Farmington, MI

#14 Dec 7, 2009
Flawed wrote:
As for those who support him, I wonder if it were their 13 year old daughter, sister, etc., would they feel the same way?
While I find it disturbing to consider, I'm afraid that the answer for many of them would be,'yes'.
Mark Luxford

United States

#15 Dec 7, 2009
Having read all of the responses posted thus far, I would like to make a couple of things clear.

First of all, the poem was written as a criticism of those who expressed support for Polanski and tried to minimize his actions.

Second, this is not a "progressive versus conservative" issue. The poem is a slam against elitism; and because there are liberal elites and conservative elites, a person is barking up the wrong tree if they try and paint this as being typical of liberalism.

“Pig-O-Riffic!”

Since: Nov 08

United States

#16 Dec 7, 2009
His accuser has asked that charges be dropped. After this much time, she says she's moved on. If the "victim" wants the matter dropped, why is it still being pursued?

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#17 Dec 7, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
His accuser has asked that charges be dropped. After this much time, she says she's moved on. If the "victim" wants the matter dropped, why is it still being pursued?
Because he broke the law. Even though the "victim" may feel that she consented, by law she was not capable of consent when it occured.
Flawed

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Dec 7, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
Because it is still a crime that was committed. So because 30+ years have passed, and the victim has put it behind her, ten he should just go free? This is not a small case of theft or an auto accident. This is the Rape of a 13 year old girl, and of course the victim does not have to go through the process. They have his signed admission and his agreement that he did it. He ran because the judge was possibly going to give him more prison time.

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Kalamazoo, MI

#19 Dec 7, 2009
Mark Luxford wrote:
Having read all of the responses posted thus far, I would like to make a couple of things clear.
First of all, the poem was written as a criticism of those who expressed support for Polanski and tried to minimize his actions.
Second, this is not a "progressive versus conservative" issue. The poem is a slam against elitism; and because there are liberal elites and conservative elites, a person is barking up the wrong tree if they try and paint this as being typical of liberalism.
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I agree that it shouldn't be a "progressive vs conservative" issue and that the pursuit of justice in this case is not. But the movement to blur the lines between right and wrong is definitely on the progressive agenda. But you are correct, elites from the whole spectrum are guilty of selectively dispensing justice to favor elites or token representatives within their respective groups.

“Smells like 1994!”

Since: Jun 08

Stately Wayne Manor

#20 Dec 7, 2009
PiggyTail wrote:
So we should let someone who drugs a minor and has sex with them go free?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire destroys well-known Lowell restaurant (Sep '07) Sat mighty mike 12
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sat mighty mike 1,221
News Builder, construction worker arrested for theft... (Jan '08) Feb 19 Nicks new victim 53
Local News Women (Apr '09) Feb 19 WMNewsfan 3,222
Review: Dermatology Center - Evelyn E Vandervee... (Oct '09) Feb 18 Former Patient 21
KJC's Very Own Things To Write Here On Topix Feb 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 28
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Feb 15 lynn 195

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages