“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#42 Mar 31, 2013
One of my favorites was up around Remus, Michigan. It was for the Olsen Knife Company, it read; Fatty Fatty run for your life here comes skinny with an Olsen knife. LOL! Not really PC.

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#43 Mar 31, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_City,_Mic... Correction it was Howard City.
skipper

Grandville, MI

#44 Apr 1, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
One of my favorites was up around Remus, Michigan. It was for the Olsen Knife Company, it read; Fatty Fatty run for your life here comes skinny with an Olsen knife. LOL! Not really PC.

You just caused me to have a jr high flash back.
I loved that sign...
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#45 Apr 2, 2013
Oops......

Looks like this teabagger is going to be getting help from the liberal communists.

http://www.wzzm13.com/rss/article/250921/14/A...
Mark Luxford

Grand Rapids, MI

#46 Apr 2, 2013
I don't believe that Gaines township is trying to censor Verduin. They're not telling him that he can't say those things; all they're saying is that the signs are too big. Suppose you walked into a library yelling at the top of your lungs, and the library staff confronted you. Would you say they're assaulting your right to freedom of speech?
It's the same thing with Verduin. They're just telling him to turn the volume down, so to speak.

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#47 Apr 2, 2013
Mark Luxford wrote:
I don't believe that Gaines township is trying to censor Verduin. They're not telling him that he can't say those things; all they're saying is that the signs are too big. Suppose you walked into a library yelling at the top of your lungs, and the library staff confronted you. Would you say they're assaulting your right to freedom of speech?
It's the same thing with Verduin. They're just telling him to turn the volume down, so to speak.
They are semi trailers on his own land not signs. If he owned the library I would think he can yell all he wants. Are you from the United States?

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#48 Apr 2, 2013
Bob wrote:
Oops......
Looks like this teabagger is going to be getting help from the liberal communists.
http://www.wzzm13.com/rss/article/250921/14/A...
I see you're still a douchebagger.

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#49 Apr 2, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>They are semi trailers on his own land not signs. If he owned the library I would think he can yell all he wants. Are you from the United States?
If I may (don't take me wrong here)...Almost all, if not all signs along the highway are now on private property...the DOT mandated that. The signs are required to be Permitted by the local municipality. The local municipality's Zoning is in charge of the particulars of the sign. If it's advertising or political may inject different requirements to meet ordinances.

I think one problem here is the owner did not apply for a Permit.
There's also a problem with the definition of a "sign".
I also think there's a problem with the definition of what is a "political" sign in Gaines Township...and they are about to have to defend their verbage regarding these issues in Court. If what I have read so far is true, Gaines TWP does have Zoning laws regarding signs but it appears their wording and certian circumstances are not specifically covered...and that may be a problem for them.

Oh well...just sayin'
Hope you are having a nice day!!!

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#50 Apr 2, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
If I may (don't take me wrong here)...Almost all, if not all signs along the highway are now on private property...the DOT mandated that. The signs are required to be Permitted by the local municipality. The local municipality's Zoning is in charge of the particulars of the sign. If it's advertising or political may inject different requirements to meet ordinances.
I think one problem here is the owner did not apply for a Permit.
There's also a problem with the definition of a "sign".
I also think there's a problem with the definition of what is a "political" sign in Gaines Township...and they are about to have to defend their verbage regarding these issues in Court. If what I have read so far is true, Gaines TWP does have Zoning laws regarding signs but it appears their wording and certian circumstances are not specifically covered...and that may be a problem for them.
Oh well...just sayin'
Hope you are having a nice day!!!
I see semi-trailers parked along that same stretch of highway with all kinds of writing on them. I still think it's the message that's got their panties in a bunch. I just wonder if it was Bush bashing if there would be the same outcry. I think someone with pull inside the township is raising the stink. The first time I read them I thought someone will get ofended. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though. You have a good one to Marksman.

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#51 Apr 2, 2013
offended, watch out for the grammar cops they're always watching ;-)
St Stephen

Grand Rapids, MI

#52 Apr 2, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>I just wonder if it was Bush bashing if there would be the same outcry.
This is West Michigan, there would not only be the same outcry but the offender would be looking at jail time and lots of blonde haired blue eyed people showing up in their Chevy Tahoes with pitchforks.

“lover”

Since: Feb 09

Dorr MI

#53 Apr 2, 2013
St Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is West Michigan, there would not only be the same outcry but the offender would be looking at jail time and lots of blonde haired blue eyed people showing up in their Chevy Tahoes with pitchforks.
Good one! LMAO! Probably right, though the colors they be a changing.
Mark Luxford

Grand Rapids, MI

#55 Apr 4, 2013
Living Large2 wrote:
<quoted text>They are semi trailers on his own land not signs. If he owned the library I would think he can yell all he wants. Are you from the United States?
Actually, they are signs painted on semi trailers, not just semi trailers. The issue is the size of the signs, not the fact that he has a couple of semi trailers sitting out in the pasture. And yes, I am from the United States.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#56 Apr 4, 2013

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#57 Apr 4, 2013
Sassy wrote:
Yep...as expected...
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Mount Morris, MI

#58 Apr 4, 2013
Jack Webb wrote:
Christians are used to being crucified.
They also are known for Knights Templar type of responses....
Little Stevie

United States

#59 Apr 4, 2013
Ha Ha, Gaines township lost!!! Free speech prevails, Learn it, libturds!
St Stephen

Grand Rapids, MI

#60 Apr 4, 2013
Little Stevie wrote:
Ha Ha, Gaines township lost!!! Free speech prevails, Learn it, libturds!
It was never a free speech issue, it was a zoning one.

Now I'm going to buy a 50 ft semi trailer and some property in Gaines township and write "Christianity Is a Lie and Jesus Never Lived" on it and make it so everyone has to see it from the highway.

This decision has set a precedent and I hope they understand the can of worms they've opened up. Zoning laws be damned!
Cleeetus

United States

#61 Apr 4, 2013
St Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
It was never a free speech issue, it was a zoning one.
Now I'm going to buy a 50 ft semi trailer and some property in Gaines township and write "Christianity Is a Lie and Jesus Never Lived" on it and make it so everyone has to see it from the highway.
This decision has set a precedent and I hope they understand the can of worms they've opened up. Zoning laws be damned!
Go for it, I'll be waiting
Really

Kalamazoo, MI

#62 Apr 4, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep...as expected...
However, not the way you anticipated. Gaines Township lost because they were discriminating against someone who disagreed with them. Sorry, it was a free speech issue and free speech won, again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 3 hr kookierecluse 941
obama chides isis 3 hr Gville Jim 2
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 16 hr Go Blue Forever 1,368
obama must act to protect american interests. . . Sun Lilly_Bedwetter 5
Obama's new approval rating at 38% (Mar '14) Sun Phil 86
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? Sun Oneal 23
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t Sun Oneal 22
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••