WZZM13 WATER COOLER - Eagle attacks b...

WZZM13 WATER COOLER - Eagle attacks boy in Manistee County woods

There are 17 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 27, 2008, titled WZZM13 WATER COOLER - Eagle attacks boy in Manistee County woods. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

An 11-year-old boy has been injured when an eagle attacked him during a walk through the woods in Manistee County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Since: Jan 08

Morley, MI

#1 May 27, 2008
Maybe the eagle had a nest nearby and considered him a threat. I am just glad the boy is not seriously injured.

Since: Oct 07

Big Rapids, MI

#2 May 27, 2008
I agree that there must have been a nest nearby. My boys were in the back yard playing football and a robin kept diving at them when they got too close to the little pine tree in our yard where she has a nest.
Tim

Denver, CO

#3 May 27, 2008
I can guarantee you it was a Goshawk, not an eagle
mit

United States

#4 May 27, 2008
elgae na ton ,kwahsoG a saw ti uoy eetnaraug nac I

because you were there? Or just because you firmly believe you know everything and have to flap your jaws?
IronAngel Forge

Syracuse, UT

#5 May 28, 2008
A bit more investigation probably should have been done by WZZM's news department to verify the account of what happened. Relying on second hand news from radio station WKLA could lead to confusion of the information.(WKLA is located in Ludington, in Mason County a fair distance from Copemish in northern Manistee County.)

How about a quick phone call to the Manistee News Advocate (one of the local papers in the area) or the Copemish Police Dept?

Now this article has been picked up by the wires, and is showing up in national news (including Fox News and CNN that I have found) verbatim.

Even though more and more lazy reporting goes on in this "must have it NOW!" internet news age, I have to give WZZM credit for being a better news source than our other options in this market.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#6 May 28, 2008
mit wrote:
elgae na ton ,kwahsoG a saw ti uoy eetnaraug nac I
because you were there? Or just because you firmly believe you know everything and have to flap your jaws?
kinda like you are doing now...because you were there... you know it wasn't

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#7 May 28, 2008
IronAngel Forge wrote:
A bit more investigation probably should have been done by WZZM's news department to verify the account of what happened. Relying on second hand news from radio station WKLA could lead to confusion of the information.(WKLA is located in Ludington, in Mason County a fair distance from Copemish in northern Manistee County.)
How about a quick phone call to the Manistee News Advocate (one of the local papers in the area) or the Copemish Police Dept?
Now this article has been picked up by the wires, and is showing up in national news (including Fox News and CNN that I have found) verbatim.
Even though more and more lazy reporting goes on in this "must have it NOW!" internet news age, I have to give WZZM credit for being a better news source than our other options in this market.
great 60 minutes
From Greenville

Big Rapids, MI

#8 May 28, 2008
Copemish Police Dept?

Are you serious? Copemish is a town of about 250. They do NOT have a 'police department'. The nearest town with a police presence would be Benzonia, about 20 miles away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copemish,_Michig...

I grew up about 25 minutes from there, and there are eagles in the area. The boy was probably doing something to antagonize the bird - whether it was intentional or not.
Julie

Kalamazoo, MI

#9 May 28, 2008
Probably a big chicken.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#10 May 28, 2008
Julie wrote:
Probably a big chicken.
what do you expect he is only a kid .... oh you meant the ufo...snickering
IronAngel Forge

Syracuse, UT

#11 May 29, 2008
Huh, I had thought Copemish had a single officer on days. My fault there. Manistee county Central Dispatch would have worked as well.

I have lived within the service area of WKLA for over 30 years, and would not consider them a very good primary news source.
justanothermom

Kalamazoo, MI

#12 May 29, 2008
For the full story, please visit this link... all be it, not even reported from Michigan! Go figure!
http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.apx....

Video even! LOL
Deborah

Schaumburg, IL

#13 May 29, 2008
mit wrote:
elgae na ton ,kwahsoG a saw ti uoy eetnaraug nac I
because you were there? Or just because you firmly believe you know everything and have to flap your jaws?
english?

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#14 May 29, 2008
Deborah wrote:
<quoted text>
english?
the wise guy who also wasn't there just wrote:
post 3# back wards " I guarantee etc etc etc

Since: Oct 07

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 Jun 1, 2008
It's coming right for us...

“Kenny Schrader I'm for you”

Since: Apr 08

Hollywood, FL

#16 Jun 1, 2008
Aren't eagles protected? So If an eagle attacks your kid can you kill it?

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#17 Jun 1, 2008
Sweet Nancy wrote:
Aren't eagles protected? So If an eagle attacks your kid can you kill it?
only if it is your child ....other wise the kid lives

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) May 16 Lauri 1,236
News a oeIa ve been called a race traitor:a Hispanic... May 15 wxmitvweb 6
Local News Women (Apr '09) May 15 WMNewslover 3,375
Poll Betty Ford has died. Do you care? (Jul '11) May 13 Dick in Uranus 269
News Missing Constantine girl found dead in cemetery (Nov '07) May 13 Dick in Uranus 149
I am god of Uranus, speak almighty toothless one! May 13 God of Uranus 1
Why we have illegal immigration. May 13 Jewish Mexican Ba... 2

Grand Rapids Jobs

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages