momma marie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

I left my job in August of 2007. I was on Cobra until I was no long elegable. I then got BC/BS individual policy with a $1500.00. I paid the decuctable between Feb.1 and May 1, now my prescriptions are covered 100% up to $2500.00 then I start paying again. I figure from November to April of 2010 I will be paying full price for my prescriptions. I also pay $459.00 primium. I am on a fixed income and am barely making ends meet now. If the primiums go up any more I will have to drop my coverage. I tried getting cheeper insurance from other companies but due to pre existing condition I couldn't qualify. At this point all I can do is hope I stay somewhat healthy until I am able to get Medicare and a supplemental blue cross policy. We all have a burden to bear but dose it have to be so heavy. I agree with JoAnn you need to write your senators, representatives, and Govornor. Let them know how angry you are. They can and should help. But will they?
Joann

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

momma marie wrote:
I left my job in August of 2007. I was on Cobra until I was no long elegable. I then got BC/BS individual policy with a $1500.00. I paid the decuctable between Feb.1 and May 1, now my prescriptions are covered 100% up to $2500.00 then I start paying again. I figure from November to April of 2010 I will be paying full price for my prescriptions. I also pay $459.00 primium. I am on a fixed income and am barely making ends meet now. If the primiums go up any more I will have to drop my coverage. I tried getting cheeper insurance from other companies but due to pre existing condition I couldn't qualify. At this point all I can do is hope I stay somewhat healthy until I am able to get Medicare and a supplemental blue cross policy. We all have a burden to bear but dose it have to be so heavy. I agree with JoAnn you need to write your senators, representatives, and Govornor. Let them know how angry you are. They can and should help. But will they?
I wrote to my senator (Van Woerkem), and I got a nice reply from him. He agreed that Blue Cross is out of line asking for a 56% increase. By the way, they already raised the rates on new policies! I recommended my policy to someone else, and when she checked, it was 50% higher than what I pay! Good grief! We all need to speak up.
Becky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

We were on COBRA - and paying BCBS of MI about $320.00 per month. The auto supplier is in bankruptcy, so.....we are --again without coverage.

Starting next week, the big push for some kind of national, and hopefully - affordable healthcare will start. If you want to get involved and have your voice heard - sign up. You can still go to the Obama website for information.

Getting anything through Congress will be a rough ordeal. Unfortunatly, DEMS have strong ties to the insurance lobby, just like Rep/CONS. We need a universal - one payer system - for the program to survive.

You DON'T have to be a Democrat to be involved. You will have to pressure your Republican Representives to do the right thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/05/democr...
Joann

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

Becky wrote:
We were on COBRA - and paying BCBS of MI about $320.00 per month. The auto supplier is in bankruptcy, so.....we are --again without coverage.
Starting next week, the big push for some kind of national, and hopefully - affordable healthcare will start. If you want to get involved and have your voice heard - sign up. You can still go to the Obama website for information.
Getting anything through Congress will be a rough ordeal. Unfortunatly, DEMS have strong ties to the insurance lobby, just like Rep/CONS. We need a universal - one payer system - for the program to survive.
You DON'T have to be a Democrat to be involved. You will have to pressure your Republican Representives to do the right thing.
I don't think a one-payer system is realistic, but I would like to see a public plan that guarantees access to everyone at an affordable rate. Then the private insurance companies would have to do a better job to compete. If people are happy with their private insurance, they can keep it.

It's sort of like the schools. Everyone is guaranteed the right to send their child to a public school. If someone wants to spend more to send their child to a private school, they have the right to do so. Why can't health care work the same way?
Becky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Joann wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think a one-payer system is realistic, but I would like to see a public plan that guarantees access to everyone at an affordable rate. Then the private insurance companies would have to do a better job to compete. If people are happy with their private insurance, they can keep it.
It's sort of like the schools. Everyone is guaranteed the right to send their child to a public school. If someone wants to spend more to send their child to a private school, they have the right to do so. Why can't health care work the same way?
If we get a plan - it will probably be an "option."

I don't want to read a boring book here:

But, there is also a problem with an optional plan.

I will use my own situation as an example. My husband and I are both healthy. Neither of us have ever had a serious illness or an operation. Now, in our 50's after years of paying premiums into Blue Cross, we have no insurance coverage - we can afford. This is happening all around the country and especially here in Michigan. We are at the age - where we could pay our own way for doctors vists and prescriptions. If one of us has a heart attack or gets cancer - you know what would happen.

This is the problem with Medicare and Medicaid -now. These programs are getting the older, sick and poor people unable to pay into the system. For the program is survive, it has to have younger people enrolled and paying into it.
Joann

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
If we get a plan - it will probably be an "option."
I don't want to read a boring book here:
But, there is also a problem with an optional plan.
I will use my own situation as an example. My husband and I are both healthy. Neither of us have ever had a serious illness or an operation. Now, in our 50's after years of paying premiums into Blue Cross, we have no insurance coverage - we can afford. This is happening all around the country and especially here in Michigan. We are at the age - where we could pay our own way for doctors vists and prescriptions. If one of us has a heart attack or gets cancer - you know what would happen.
This is the problem with Medicare and Medicaid -now. These programs are getting the older, sick and poor people unable to pay into the system. For the program is survive, it has to have younger people enrolled and paying into it.
That makes sense. Personally, I would rather put my money into supporting a public nonprofit plan rather than going toward insurance company profits. If they offer a public plan, I'll be first in line to sign up. But if people want to continue paying private insurance companies, I guess that's their right.

“Time for work”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

Joann wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the same policy as you (HSA with the highest deductible). I like my policy because it's a good incentive to stay healthy. However, I can't afford a premium increase of 56%, can you? You'll also find that the rates jump dramatically when you hit 50 and 55. It's scary.
I do see your point, but even with a possible increase to $350/month it is still cheaper than going without insurance.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

mom wrote:
I wouldn't go a day without health insurance. We buy our own, and it's the most important bill I have. I can't understand how people will go without, yet think nothing of spending money on vacations and other self gratifying objects.
I have not had a real vacation in at least 15 years. I work very hard, typing medical reports from foreign doctors and rapidly speaking interns who just want to get their work done. I lost a very good paying job with health insurance due to a downsizing in August 2006, NOT my fault. I collected unemployment, and then the place where I had worked changed their minds on 15 people with me included, and now all of us are paying the unemployment we received, back to the state. We all fought it, appeal after appeal, and when all was said and done, the State of Michigan won.

So don't toss ideas out there that people who don't have health insurance go on extravagant vacations and buy self-gratifying objects. I don't make enough money in a month to do that. You have no idea what I go through every month to get my bills paid and food on my table.

“Bob spelled backwards is Bob”

Since: Jan 09

Grandville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Marti from Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Bob, can you get some of your medications in generic form from Walmart? Much cheaper! I also would look into different insurance.
My income is roughly $800 per month AFTER taxes and no way can I afford health insurance.
There is a free medical clinic over on Leonard NW that is open about 3 days a week - called Oasis of Hope (in the GR phone book). They did a slew of lab work on me recently and I paid nothing. Check it out people.:)
We would check it out, however, my wife has a disease called Sneddon Syndrome which has a 3-5 year shelf life. She has beat it for 7 years though, she's a fighter! Normally she would not live this long. We see one of the top ten Doctors in the world in Detroit, a nero-immunoligist (sp). He has taken very well care of her, thank God. One of every eight million people on this planet have this disease, so we need good ins. to cover anything that comes up. But thanks!
Mastiff Lover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

I agree Marti, We have just enough to pay bills to survive. No vacations here. Nothing special, nothing extra.We just don't make enough to have it.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

Becky wrote:
Don't forget trial lawyers are helping to increase costs too....

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

mom wrote:
I wouldn't go a day without health insurance. We buy our own, and it's the most important bill I have. I can't understand how people will go without, yet think nothing of spending money on vacations and other self gratifying objects.
Interesting. I know several people who have had medical emergencies (Major surgeries, cancer, one a weird atrophy disease), some with insurance, some without and most of them are broke, in debt for the rest of their lives or have had to declare bankruptcy. I don't personally know anyone who doesn't have insurance so they can go on big vacations or new cars or boats, so I don't know who you know who does that.

We do have the best health care in the world... If you can afford it. Otherwise you're SOL...
pjdutchville

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

Mine is currently $287 per month (Blue Cross PPO), but I haven't seen any increase yet.
pjdutchville

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

You're right "mom". It is the most important bill that I have as well. I will never go without, after being caught w/o when I was first diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. Thank God I got coverage by the time I needed my pacemaker/defibrillator.

(And me, I'm licensed to sell insurance......oooops!)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

The current cost problems in the U.S. health care system were brought on by the industry itself. Rather than looking toward the future, many hospitals and groups that represent doctors have been so focused on increasing their income today, that they in effect have priced themselves out of the current marketplace.
say what

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Joann wrote:
I would rather put my money into supporting a public nonprofit plan
BCBS of Michigan IS a non profit plan. One of the few left in the country.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

say what wrote:
<quoted text>
High income distributors.....

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

“This issue, health care reform, is not a luxury,” Obama said in his radio and Internet address.“It’s not something that I want to do because of campaign promises or politics. This is a necessity. This is something that has to be done.”

Since when can he be accussed of keeping any campaign promises? All we can do is hope Obama don't know what comes after a "TRILLION".

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

say what wrote:
<quoted text>
So is Priority Health....

And BCBSM petitions Lansing every chance it gets to go For Profit.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Kimberly548 wrote:
The current cost problems in the U.S. health care system were brought on by the industry itself. Rather than looking toward the future, many hospitals and groups that represent doctors have been so focused on increasing their income today, that they in effect have priced themselves out of the current marketplace.
Actually.. if you knew what they actually make after they have to pay their skyrocketing malpractice insurance bills, office staff, office building expenses, billing staff, etc... and then look at the rates insurance companies ACTUALLY pay (commercial insurances, not Medicare/Medicaid), it's amazing they can stay in practice at all.

That's why many of the doctors have joined other large groups (Advantage Health and MMPC just to name 2 of them).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grand Rapids Discussions

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
go blue goes black 5 hr Dr X 5
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 6 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 6
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 7 hr Wellthereugoagain 80
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 15 hr Guru 806
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) 18 hr mat 217
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
•••
•••