Anyone here buy their own Blue Cross policy?

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 72 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Joann

Owosso, MI

#1 Jun 5, 2009
For anyone here who buys an individual Blue Cross policy, did you know they have formally requested raising our rates an average of 56%? They've already done it with new policies. That means a policy that is currently $300/month would go to over $460/month (unless my math is really bad).

Anyway, if you are concerned, please speak up to your elected officials. I am self-employed and pay for my own policy, and this worries me.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#2 Jun 6, 2009
Joann wrote:
For anyone here who buys an individual Blue Cross policy, did you know they have formally requested raising our rates an average of 56%? They've already done it with new policies. That means a policy that is currently $300/month would go to over $460/month (unless my math is really bad).
Anyway, if you are concerned, please speak up to your elected officials. I am self-employed and pay for my own policy, and this worries me.
I spend $700/month. What the heck.
Joann

Owosso, MI

#3 Jun 6, 2009
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>I spend $700/month. What the heck.
Yes, some of the policies are that much, depending on your age and how high your deductible is. I was just using the $300 as an example. So, if you pay $700 a month, your premium could go up to almost $1100 a month.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#4 Jun 6, 2009
Joann wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, some of the policies are that much, depending on your age and how high your deductible is. I was just using the $300 as an example. So, if you pay $700 a month, your premium could go up to almost $1100 a month.
Guess I am a dead man since I will likely drop the service and pay cash.....

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#5 Jun 6, 2009
<quoted text>I spend $700/month. What the heck.
I'm over $500.00 a month. Went up 33% this past year.

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#6 Jun 6, 2009
Wow. In other threads where I say my family is uninsured because we can't afford our own health insurance, I get "just buy your own policy- what's wrong with you?!?"

Now people who will most likely be in the same boat as me and my family are saying "Guess I am a dead man since I will likely drop the service and pay cash".

Hmmm. Go figure. Maybe I should just answer that with "go get a second job" like they told me (not you Batch).
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#7 Jun 6, 2009
little-me wrote:
Wow. In other threads where I say my family is uninsured because we can't afford our own health insurance, I get "just buy your own policy- what's wrong with you?!?"
Now people who will most likely be in the same boat as me and my family are saying "Guess I am a dead man since I will likely drop the service and pay cash".
Hmmm. Go figure. Maybe I should just answer that with "go get a second job" like they told me (not you Batch).
I guess I was talking about putting that money in a separate account and using it for medical emergencies instead of giving it to the man......

“Bob spelled backwards is Bob”

Since: Jan 09

Grandville, MI

#8 Jun 6, 2009
My wife and I are both disabled and buy the medicare supplement at $114.00 per month each. We buy my son {11 years old} a BCBS policy at $118.00 per month since we don't have jobs to get the insurance. Also, we fall into what the pham. calls the doughnut hole and pay 100% of our scripts about June every year, until we pay $5000.00 out of pocket each, then they pay for 95% of them. That means some of our scripts cost $500-$800 per month each,(for one bottle). All in all, we pay out on average $29,000 a year on all medical, with a fixed income. If this confuses you, I understand, It confuses me, and its our life! If BCBS wants to charge more, we won't have them, and it will not be a choice.

Dutchville

#9 Jun 6, 2009
<quoted text>I guess I was talking about putting that money in a separate account and using it for medical emergencies instead of giving it to the man......
I wasn't meaning to slam you, Batch :)

We put money aside for medical emergencies also- but right now my husband needs gall bladder surgery and there's no way we have the $40,000 or so to cover it.

“Time for work”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#10 Jun 6, 2009
We have a BCBSM policy tied to a HSA. High deductible, around $5k, coverage at 80% beyond deductible; low premiums, around $225/month for family of 5; and pre-federal income tax deposits to the HSA for all things medical that isn't covered by insurance.
So far, so good for us. And BCBS does not underwrite. They are a "must carry" company.
Joann

Owosso, MI

#11 Jun 6, 2009
Half Days wrote:
We have a BCBSM policy tied to a HSA. High deductible, around $5k, coverage at 80% beyond deductible; low premiums, around $225/month for family of 5; and pre-federal income tax deposits to the HSA for all things medical that isn't covered by insurance.
So far, so good for us. And BCBS does not underwrite. They are a "must carry" company.
I have the same policy as you (HSA with the highest deductible). I like my policy because it's a good incentive to stay healthy. However, I can't afford a premium increase of 56%, can you? You'll also find that the rates jump dramatically when you hit 50 and 55. It's scary.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#12 Jun 6, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
My wife and I are both disabled and buy the medicare supplement at $114.00 per month each. We buy my son {11 years old} a BCBS policy at $118.00 per month since we don't have jobs to get the insurance. Also, we fall into what the pham. calls the doughnut hole and pay 100% of our scripts about June every year, until we pay $5000.00 out of pocket each, then they pay for 95% of them. That means some of our scripts cost $500-$800 per month each,(for one bottle). All in all, we pay out on average $29,000 a year on all medical, with a fixed income. If this confuses you, I understand, It confuses me, and its our life! If BCBS wants to charge more, we won't have them, and it will not be a choice.
Hey Bob, can you get some of your medications in generic form from Walmart? Much cheaper! I also would look into different insurance.

My income is roughly $800 per month AFTER taxes and no way can I afford health insurance.

There is a free medical clinic over on Leonard NW that is open about 3 days a week - called Oasis of Hope (in the GR phone book). They did a slew of lab work on me recently and I paid nothing. Check it out people.:)
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#13 Jun 6, 2009
little-me wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't meaning to slam you, Batch :)
We put money aside for medical emergencies also- but right now my husband needs gall bladder surgery and there's no way we have the $40,000 or so to cover it.
It shouldn't cost that much if we scrap the current system and get tort reform and let the free market work where hospitals and Doctors have to compete like any other business.

Dutchville

#14 Jun 6, 2009
<quoted text>It shouldn't cost that much if we scrap the current system and get tort reform and let the free market work where hospitals and Doctors have to compete like any other business.
Sounds good to me.

You can be health-conscious your whole life and still fall down and break a bone, or develop heart problems, or get cancer.
Joann

Owosso, MI

#15 Jun 6, 2009
<quoted text>It shouldn't cost that much if we scrap the current system and get tort reform and let the free market work where hospitals and Doctors have to compete like any other business.
So much money goes to the insurance companies and malpractice lawyers. It's sickening.
Karas Mommy

United States

#16 Jun 6, 2009
I've actually been looking into buying our own policy. My husband and I have both lost our jobs. It's about $100 each for the 3 of us.
mom

Hudsonville, MI

#17 Jun 6, 2009
I wouldn't go a day without health insurance. We buy our own, and it's the most important bill I have. I can't understand how people will go without, yet think nothing of spending money on vacations and other self gratifying objects.

Dutchville

#18 Jun 6, 2009
mom wrote:
I wouldn't go a day without health insurance. We buy our own, and it's the most important bill I have. I can't understand how people will go without, yet think nothing of spending money on vacations and other self gratifying objects.
Now see, that's the misconception that many people seem to have about people without health insurance.

-No insurance here.
-No vacation since 1992 (drove to Canada).
-Less expensive home
-15 year old car

But getting all the bills paid. Just not much leftover for anything other than a movie once a month or so (around $20).

If you or your husband suffered a job loss or a major medical problem, you could very well find yourself with the question that many Americans have had to ask themselves- "shelter and food for the kids*, or health insurance for us grownups?"

*MIChild insurance can be purchased inexpensively for children.
Joann

Owosso, MI

#19 Jun 6, 2009
little-me wrote:
<quoted text>
Now see, that's the misconception that many people seem to have about people without health insurance.
-No insurance here.
-No vacation since 1992 (drove to Canada).
-Less expensive home
-15 year old car
But getting all the bills paid. Just not much leftover for anything other than a movie once a month or so (around $20).
If you or your husband suffered a job loss or a major medical problem, you could very well find yourself with the question that many Americans have had to ask themselves- "shelter and food for the kids*, or health insurance for us grownups?"
*MIChild insurance can be purchased inexpensively for children.
You're right. If premiums go much higher, more people will be forced to give up their insurance.
Mastiff Lover

United States

#20 Jun 6, 2009
Health Insurance is important, However, it's going to take a part time job to cover it. I've looked into it. $350 per month, it's not cheap. But definately something we need. Hopefully something will give in the near future so we'll be able to get it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 5 hr a commenter 935
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 6 hr Phil 10
why war with isis? 15 hr Colonel Sanders 15
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 15 hr Colonel Sanders 9
The cheerleaders with their tight skirts are v... Thu Phil 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Thu Buffalo Bull 1,326
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... Thu Batch 37 Pain Is ... 314
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••