First Prev
of 7
Next Last
mom

United States

#1 Feb 11, 2008
People who still need to do taxes stay away from H and R Block they rip you off. I went there it was $350 to have my taxes done that was after the 25 they took off from a coupon i had. I didn't have anything special just simple form. Just down the street on Leonard and Alpine at VanGuards it would have been $85. I called to ask why it was so high They tried to tell me that there was no way it would only cost 85. Also informed me that I couldn't cancel my taxes and go some place else. Well one more way for people to get screwed over.
Professor Goofball

United States

#2 Feb 11, 2008
mom wrote:
People who still need to do taxes stay away from H and R Block they rip you off. I went there it was $350 to have my taxes done that was after the 25 they took off from a coupon i had. I didn't have anything special just simple form. Just down the street on Leonard and Alpine at VanGuards it would have been $85. I called to ask why it was so high They tried to tell me that there was no way it would only cost 85. Also informed me that I couldn't cancel my taxes and go some place else. Well one more way for people to get screwed over.
So if it's such a simple form, why couldn't you do it yourself?
There are several online services that let you file your federal return free and charge around $16.00 for your state.
And they are pretty much foolproof.
Masterys

Grand Blanc, MI

#3 Feb 11, 2008
mom wrote:
Hey Ma, too bad but thanks for letting the population know, maybe someone else will compare thanks to you. They probably did not even start your taxes before you got stuck in thier maze.
mom

United States

#4 Feb 11, 2008
Professor Goofball wrote:
<quoted text>
So if it's such a simple form, why couldn't you do it yourself?
There are several online services that let you file your federal return free and charge around $16.00 for your state.
And they are pretty much foolproof.
Are you stupid? What I was saying is I didnt have a ton of deductions or anything to complicate it. It was not the long form. Second I don't want to do them myself have better things to do just don't want to get fucked over. Also thought if I let people know that maybe they would look around better than I did. I didn't think there would be that big of a difference in price.
mom

Rockford, MI

#5 Feb 11, 2008
mom wrote:
<quoted text>Are you stupid? What I was saying is I didnt have a ton of deductions or anything to complicate it. It was not the long form. Second I don't want to do them myself have better things to do just don't want to get fucked over. Also thought if I let people know that maybe they would look around better than I did. I didn't think there would be that big of a difference in price.
Thanks,you might help somebody eles from getting ripped off,and now you know NOT to go there next year,try turbo Tax its around 44.00 and real simple to do.

Since: Sep 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Feb 11, 2008
mom wrote:
<quoted text>Are you stupid? What I was saying is I didnt have a ton of deductions or anything to complicate it. It was not the long form. Second I don't want to do them myself have better things to do just don't want to get fucked over. Also thought if I let people know that maybe they would look around better than I did. I didn't think there would be that big of a difference in price.
Better things to do? I'm sure you could have spared 15-20 minutes online to do them. That's what I've been doing for seven years.

did H&R Block at least give you a little kiss while they were sticking it to you?

And here your calling someone else stupid....that's funny...
Roy W

Muskegon, MI

#7 Feb 11, 2008
mom wrote:
I got the same thing last year from H&R Block . I had a relative that had almost the same earnings ,had 3 more kids than I and he was charged 180.00 dollars. I was charged 435 dollars . Now , I only made 47 thousand . I called H&R and asked them why the difference and they would not give me an answer. I even went to another office with my relative and got the run around . I called there H.Q and they treated me like dirt.
I got mine done over the weekend for 75 bucks . I am getting more back this year and am much happier.

Since: Jan 08

Auburn

#8 Feb 11, 2008
We have used Turbo Tax for 3 years with no problems and it's actually getting cheaper every year. This time around it was only $34 at Walmart.
mom wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks,you might help somebody eles from getting ripped off,and now you know NOT to go there next year,try turbo Tax its around 44.00 and real simple to do.
but who am I

Knoxville, TN

#9 Feb 11, 2008
A fair and simple tax system would eliminate all tax preparer rip offs. I file my own but that does not change the fact, no one should have to hire some one else to do their taxes.
With all the forms I need, Well I don't even want to guess what it would cost through H&R.
When you electronically file through some, even the pin you pick will cost you.
If you go to the state web site you can do it free if your tax are simple enough, and that is state and federal, and it sounds like yours were.
James

United States

#10 Feb 11, 2008
FYI.
If needed I have the link to the bill itself.

Rebates: What you need to know

The lowdown on Washington's new tax rebates: Who qualifies and how much will you get? What do you have to do? And most importantly:

When will you see a check?

Do I qualify for a rebate and how much can I expect?

One-time rebates will be sent to at least 117 million low- and middle-income households, 20 million senior citizens living off of Social Security, and 250,000 disabled veterans.

To be eligible for a full rebate, single tax filers must have 2007 adjusted gross income (AGI) below $75,000 and joint filers must have AGI below $150,000.

Adjusted gross income is not your annual salary. It's equal to gross income minus "above the line deductions," which are reported on page 1 of the 1040 tax form. Above-the-line deductions include deductible IRA contributions, alimony paid and, for the self-employed, some portion of money spent on health insurance or Social Security.

Single filers with AGI below $75,000 will get rebates of as much as $600. Couples with AGI below $150,000 will receive rebates of up to $1,200.

In addition, parents will also receive $300 rebates per dependent child; there is no cap on the number of children eligible.

An example: A couple with one child and $100,000 in AGI will get a rebate of $1,500 ($1,200 +$300). If they have two children, they will get $1,800 ($1,200 +$600).

Tax filers who do not owe income taxes because of various credits and deductions but have at least $3,000 in income - which can include Social Security and disability payments - will get $300 rebates per person or $600 per couple.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/08/pf/taxes/reba ...
mom

United States

#11 Feb 11, 2008
Roy W wrote:
<quoted text>
I got the same thing last year from H&R Block . I had a relative that had almost the same earnings ,had 3 more kids than I and he was charged 180.00 dollars. I was charged 435 dollars . Now , I only made 47 thousand . I called H&R and asked them why the difference and they would not give me an answer. I even went to another office with my relative and got the run around . I called there H.Q and they treated me like dirt.
I got mine done over the weekend for 75 bucks . I am getting more back this year and am much happier.
Yeah we got the run around too. They tried to say part of it was because i have my own buisness but i didn't have any dedutions from it so then they couldn't give me a reason. Seems like they would want repeat buisness but guess not.

“MI needs the death penalty! ”

Since: Jun 07

Kalkaska

#12 Feb 11, 2008
Mom. It's no wonder that you don't have time to do your taxes. From what I read here, you must sit glued to the seat in front of your computer and post. And, from those posts that I did read, I wouldn't try anything too difficult either.
I like to say that it must be nice to have money to burn, as you sure got burned on that one. I guess you don't have time to do a little home work before you spend. Lesson learned, I hope.

“Take time to smell the roses”

Hudsonville

#14 Feb 12, 2008
mom wrote:
Are you stupid did you not read his comment . He understood not a complicated form. That is what he was telling you do it yourself it is easier than you think if you follow the directions. But thanks for letting us know they are rip off I am sure most of us already knew that. I know I did that is why I do mine myself. Have every year.
dmb

Sun Prairie, WI

#15 Feb 12, 2008
The problem is that people want their money,the next day or so. If you e-File you get it back in ten days or so. So keep this in mind.

hms

Since: Dec 07

Holland, MI

#16 Feb 12, 2008
we went to H & R block one year since we have been married. Same thing happened to us. Then we were introduced to Turbo Tax and have done it that way ever since. Way cheaper and so much easier. Now if I can only convince my MIL about that!!! lol

Wyoming, Michigan

#17 Feb 12, 2008
mom wrote:
If you go to www.taxslayer.com it is very simple to file your taxes on your own and only takes about 15 minutes. The cost is only $9.95. I got my refund back with in three weeks both state and federal.

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

#18 Feb 12, 2008
Samantha84 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to www.taxslayer.com it is very simple to file your taxes on your own and only takes about 15 minutes. The cost is only $9.95. I got my refund back with in three weeks both state and federal.
Thanks for the link, my wife and I usually pay to have our taxes done long form, but this year my daughter has to file so this link will be quite handy.

“just a girl”

Since: Oct 07

grand rapids, mi

#19 Feb 12, 2008
dragon_fly121 aka steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Better things to do? I'm sure you could have spared 15-20 minutes online to do them. That's what I've been doing for seven years.
did H&R Block at least give you a little kiss while they were sticking it to you?
And here your calling someone else stupid....that's funny...
Hey Steve, just a question, which site do you use to do your taxes? I am a single mom, and I recently starting attending college. The college sent me something I have to include... I've always done my own taxes, but this kind of throws me off... any suggestions? thanks!

Wyoming, Michigan

#20 Feb 12, 2008
MIbowhunter wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for the link, my wife and I usually pay to have our taxes done long form, but this year my daughter has to file so this link will be quite handy.
It is very simple. I think you will like it.
Angel1986

United States

#21 Feb 12, 2008
James wrote:
FYI.
If needed I have the link to the bill itself.
Rebates: What you need to know
The lowdown on Washington's new tax rebates: Who qualifies and how much will you get? What do you have to do? And most importantly:
When will you see a check?
Do I qualify for a rebate and how much can I expect?
One-time rebates will be sent to at least 117 million low- and middle-income households, 20 million senior citizens living off of Social Security, and 250,000 disabled veterans.
To be eligible for a full rebate, single tax filers must have 2007 adjusted gross income (AGI) below $75,000 and joint filers must have AGI below $150,000.
Adjusted gross income is not your annual salary. It's equal to gross income minus "above the line deductions," which are reported on page 1 of the 1040 tax form. Above-the-line deductions include deductible IRA contributions, alimony paid and, for the self-employed, some portion of money spent on health insurance or Social Security.
Single filers with AGI below $75,000 will get rebates of as much as $600. Couples with AGI below $150,000 will receive rebates of up to $1,200.
In addition, parents will also receive $300 rebates per dependent child; there is no cap on the number of children eligible.
An example: A couple with one child and $100,000 in AGI will get a rebate of $1,500 ($1,200 +$300). If they have two children, they will get $1,800 ($1,200 +$600).
Tax filers who do not owe income taxes because of various credits and deductions but have at least $3,000 in income - which can include Social Security and disability payments - will get $300 rebates per person or $600 per couple.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/08/pf/taxes/reba ...
Wow someone who actually has something worth saying. Thank you for this post. I have been wondering about this, but have been to busy to catch any real news about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers 7 hr Christians In Nam... 36
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) 7 hr fuckoff 49
PathologicalLliar 13 hr Batch 37 in pain_... 5
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 15 hr tom wingo 1,843
News This Woman Didn't Get Any Bacon In Her Burger S... Apr 16 Gerald 48
gyrocopter subverts message Apr 16 bobolinq 1
hillary clinton - 3D Apr 15 Gville Jim 3
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]