Comments
21 - 40 of 68 Comments Last updated Nov 26, 2012
St Stephen

Grand Rapids, MI

#21 Nov 17, 2012
Mark wrote:
Teabagger logic:
Blame the poor for being poor, cite lack of "personal responsibility."
When a business fails, though, blame everybody else but not those who are running the business. Where is the "personal responsibility" for the executives?
Who knows?

The guys who ran this business into the ground are going to take their millions and go live a relaxing, carefree retirement while the guys who built their empire are going to have to struggle to feed their families.

The teabags hate the middle/working class even though they are usually one of them. That's a head scratcher...
Chip

Brookfield, WI

#22 Nov 17, 2012
Bob wrote:
It is amazing how many people can't see anything wrong when a company's management files for bankrptcy, demands that employees take a cut in pay and give up their pensions, and then decides to give temselves a massive pay raise.
When a company goes bankrupt, it always comes back to the failure of management to operate the company in a profitable way.
No one will ever be able to explain to me why a person who thinks that an employee should be fired for not doing their jobs, yet sees nothing wrong with poor management getting a raise.
No one will ever be able to explain to me how the people who own or manage a company can steal their employee's pensions and not face prison time. If your company can't afford to live up to its agreements, then you shouldn't be taking pay raise!
Well the current CEO has been on the job for 10 months. Hostess had already been in bankruptcy when he took over. So it sounds a little silly to blame only him for the current situation.

Saying bankruptcy always comes back to managements ability to operate the company only proves your ignorance. While management failure is a contributing factor it's not the only factor. Paying out of control union demands for more money and less work is certainly a contributing factor as well.

More crying about the CEO salary. He took over a financially strapped company with 18,500 employees, 2 million salary is not outrageous, and his raise is most likely due to a contract he signed before he took the job. So the company can't change the employee contracts but you think it's perfectly ok to change the CEO's?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#23 Nov 17, 2012
Bob wrote:
It is amazing how many people can't see anything wrong when a company's management files for bankrptcy, demands that employees take a cut in pay and give up their pensions, and then decides to give temselves a massive pay raise.
When a company goes bankrupt, it always comes back to the failure of management to operate the company in a profitable way.
No one will ever be able to explain to me why a person who thinks that an employee should be fired for not doing their jobs, yet sees nothing wrong with poor management getting a raise.
No one will ever be able to explain to me how the people who own or manage a company can steal their employee's pensions and not face prison time. If your company can't afford to live up to its agreements, then you shouldn't be taking pay raise!
Good Day,

Like Solyndra I guess...?

Steelie
Chip

Brookfield, WI

#24 Nov 17, 2012
Bob wrote:
BTW, For all you village idiots that keep bringing up the fact that these execs announced that they would work for $1 a/year, you should look at the facts.
These execs didn't make this anouncement until after a group of unsecured creditors found out about it and asked the bankruptcy about it. I would like to assume you people would know what an unsecured creditor is. Other businesses or people who provided goods or services to this company, who most likely will put the shaft to these creditors. That's a lot like agreeing to pay into a pension fund for your employees and then ignoring that pesky little promise.
Also, that $1 per/year wage was going to end at the end of the year when those pay raises were going to kick back into effect. Wow, there's a sacrafice for you.... half a year for a buck and then a pay raise of up to 80%!
I hope that all of you right-to-work dolts do the right thing and go to work Monday asking your employers to cut your pay so that they can get a pay raise..... It's the patriotic thing to do!
Both the executives and the employee's were asked to make a sacrifice they didn't want to take. In the end only one group was willing to do it.

The salary would be reinstaed back to where it was, not at an 80% raise, get your facts straight.

The executives at that company are not overpaid at their current pay rate when compared to their peer group. The employees are over paid when compared to their peer group.
Chip

Brookfield, WI

#25 Nov 17, 2012
Bob, I'm still waiting for the 30K figure from you. Please post where you got the number from or explain why you lied.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#26 Nov 17, 2012
You are correct there are good and bad CEO's. That I won't disagree with. However, when they continue to bonus out money to themselves and expect paycuts from their employee's that actually make the product that is where I draw the line.

Those CEO's jump from company to company nowaday's. If you haven't seen the record profits made off the back of the employees and the CEO's taking outragious bonus' then I feel very sorry for you. You have to realize that some people that are laborer's that is how they are made up. Hard work, gets you a home, feeding the kids and a decent living. But when you try to cut their wages, renig on the pensions that they were promised (because the CEO's failed to fund it) while the company was making billions, then there is a problem. Union or no union it is not right.

Small business is entirely different story. I support the small business owner and the hours, sacrifice and dollars they put into the company, and when their business they deserve their just do. However, most small business become a family of sorts, you are all working for the greater good of success of the buisness. Huge corporations you are just a frigging number. I have worked in both situations, and would rather bust my tookus for a small business vs a huge corporation.
Chip wrote:
<quoted text>
Still don't seem to get the point, you will never accept the top executives pay because you fail to understand the sacrifice they made to get to the top. The doesn't justify the pay of every CEO, there are good and bad CEO's and overpaid and underpaid CEO's.
What I don't understand is the failure of the left to comprehend that a 2 million paycheck for one person is irrelevant to a multi-billion corporation. He could take nothing for a paycheck and it wouldn't make any difference, its 1 person out of 18,500. Other than to entice some sort of class warfare there is no reason to even bring it up.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#27 Nov 17, 2012
BTW I don't believe the product will go away. I believe a venture capitalist will buy it for penny's on the dollar and continue on. The new company will pay $8.00an hour, no benefits, if benefits, they will be to costly for the employee to pay for so they will not go for it, or they will hire temps so they don't have to worry about benefits. That is how corporate america works today.
Chip wrote:
<quoted text>
Both the executives and the employee's were asked to make a sacrifice they didn't want to take. In the end only one group was willing to do it.
The salary would be reinstaed back to where it was, not at an 80% raise, get your facts straight.
The executives at that company are not overpaid at their current pay rate when compared to their peer group. The employees are over paid when compared to their peer group.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#28 Nov 17, 2012
Mark wrote:
Teabagger logic:
Blame the poor for being poor, cite lack of "personal responsibility."
When a business fails, though, blame everybody else but not those who are running the business. Where is the "personal responsibility" for the executives?
Says the union shill who would be happy to do the same to the company he works for.

Since: Feb 10

Grand Rapids, MI

#29 Nov 17, 2012
Bob wrote:
BTW, For all you village idiots that keep bringing up the fact that these execs announced that they would work for $1 a/year, you should look at the facts.

These execs didn't make this anouncement until after a group of unsecured creditors found out about it and asked the bankruptcy about it. I would like to assume you people would know what an unsecured creditor is. Other businesses or people who provided goods or services to this company, who most likely will put the shaft to these creditors. That's a lot like agreeing to pay into a pension fund for your employees and then ignoring that pesky little promise.

Also, that $1 per/year wage was going to end at the end of the year when those pay raises were going to kick back into effect. Wow, there's a sacrafice for you.... half a year for a buck and then a pay raise of up to 80%!

I hope that all of you right-to-work dolts do the right thing and go to work Monday asking your employers to cut your pay so that they can get a pay raise..... It's the patriotic thing to do!
Actually I want my boss to get a raise, then I want his job. That's how the real world works.

Salaries are based on competition for a job. There are tens of millions of people who can rein a cash register or a factory machine, so the pay is less. There are few people who can hit .300, win a Super Bowl or lead a company. That's why they make a lot of money.

Only a really stupid person believes that "executives" have no special skills. If they didn't they would make minimum wage like others without unique skills.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#30 Nov 17, 2012
Sassy wrote:
BTW I don't believe the product will go away. I believe a venture capitalist will buy it for penny's on the dollar and continue on. The new company will pay $8.00an hour, no benefits, if benefits, they will be to costly for the employee to pay for so they will not go for it, or they will hire temps so they don't have to worry about benefits. That is how corporate america works today.
<quoted text>
They can get insurance through the temp agency, not good coverage, but they can get it. As for the $8.00/hr comment, you don't know very much about living out east do you?

Grand Rapids, MI

#31 Nov 17, 2012
Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>BTW I don't believe the product will go away. I believe a venture capitalist will buy it for penny's on the dollar and continue on. The new company will pay $8.00an hour, no benefits, if benefits, they will be to costly for the employee to pay for so they will not go for it, or they will hire temps so they don't have to worry about benefits. That is how corporate america works today.
Actually the product is made by several companies around the country. Since Hostess is in bankruptcy the "brands" will be sold off to various companies. Those companies will then find bakeries to actually make the products.

Most likely a few companies will own different names. So you could own the Twinkies brand if you have the knowledge and money.
Chip

Hartland, WI

#32 Nov 17, 2012
Sassy wrote:
) while the company was making billions, then there is a problem. <quoted text>
Proof that you are ignorant of any actual facts. You can bla bla bla all you want, the bottom line is the company was loosing more money than the entire paychecks of the top execs, and they were not making billions.

Why don't you try to frame an argument around actual facts?
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#33 Nov 18, 2012
I know, just like Kellog's products, Stacey's Pita Chips, Frito lays. That is why I don't think they will go away. Someone will do it.
FLBeaver wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the product is made by several companies around the country. Since Hostess is in bankruptcy the "brands" will be sold off to various companies. Those companies will then find bakeries to actually make the products.
Most likely a few companies will own different names. So you could own the Twinkies brand if you have the knowledge and money.
vox veritatis

Grand Rapids, MI

#34 Nov 18, 2012
Sassy wrote:
they will hire temps so they don't have to worry about benefits.
What's to worry about...Obamacare...remember? They'll be able to get insurance through the exchanges on their own just like the majority of the rest of the country...and you get to subsidize them through your taxes.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#35 Nov 18, 2012
Sassy wrote:
I know, just like Kellog's products, Stacey's Pita Chips, Frito lays. That is why I don't think they will go away. Someone will do it.
<quoted text>
Agreed!
Michelle aint going to let her twinkie feast's go away!
I bet there will be a bailout soon!

Grand Rapids, MI

#36 Nov 18, 2012
Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>I know, just like Kellog's products, Stacey's Pita Chips, Frito lays. That is why I don't think they will go away. Someone will do it.
Looks like Bimbo, Con Agra and others are looking to buy the brands, so they will continue, and maybe even get better.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2012/1...

Location hidden

#37 Nov 18, 2012
FLBeaver wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like Bimbo, Con Agra and others are looking to buy the brands, so they will continue, and maybe even get better.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2012/1...
Good Day,

Grupo Bimbo might be a good fit seeing as they already own Sara Lee, Entemans and Thomas English Muffins.

Steelie

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 Nov 18, 2012
Steelie wrote:
<quoted text>Good Day,

Grupo Bimbo might be a good fit seeing as they already own Sara Lee, Entemans and Thomas English Muffins.

Steelie
I'd like to see McKee Foods, the maker of Little Debbie’s snacks get them. It's a good fit, it would keep them with a US company, McKee already has the production and distribution network, and they could give McKee the opportunity to grow internationally.

Location hidden

#39 Nov 18, 2012
FLBeaver wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to see McKee Foods, the maker of Little Debbie’s snacks get them. It's a good fit, it would keep them with a US company, McKee already has the production and distribution network, and they could give McKee the opportunity to grow internationally.
Good Day,

I would love to see the majority of these brands purchased by an American baking company (or companies). The coming weeks will tell us... ;-) I don't have time right now to look into it (maybe someone else does) but this is kind of like war. Whomever has more soldiers (ie. money) if they wish to win has a better chance. Unless of course the other side has a general who can do more with less. Hmmm...

Steelie
Elephant Gun

Muskegon, MI

#40 Nov 18, 2012
Managements cut and take approach from the American workforce is the problem. If your company is losing money management shouldnt get an 80% pay raise. If the ceo cant keep the company profitable they fail and are a non-producer so they deserve less pay than the lowest paid individual. I'm sure squeelie and the rest of the gop numbskulls would be outraged if they negotiated a contract and then were told it is being voided and you get nothing. Trying to explain economics to a republican is like asking a dead animal to roll over on its own.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why war with isis? 6 hr Colonel Sanders 19
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 6 hr Colonel Sanders 9
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 8 hr wiz 934
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 12 hr Phil 9
The cheerleaders with their tight skirts are v... Thu Phil 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Thu Buffalo Bull 1,326
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... Thu Batch 37 Pain Is ... 314
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••