Michigan shrinks by 30,500 since '06 ...

Michigan shrinks by 30,500 since '06 - 48 other states show growth

There are 36 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Dec 27, 2007, titled Michigan shrinks by 30,500 since '06 - 48 other states show growth. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Michigan is one of only two states in the nation to lose population over the past year, according to U.S. Census figures released today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#1 Dec 27, 2007
Like I said, we need to build oil refineries and start punching holes to get at energy. The state could use the jobs.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#2 Dec 27, 2007
Only by 30,500? I'm thinking that's a conservative estimation.

wda

Since: Dec 07

United States

#3 Dec 27, 2007
No surprise...
Granholm's office states they want to create jobs??
I guess they still do not understand that you are not going to attract new jobs and business by raising taxes on Michigan business. DAH, DAH.

Richmond, IL

#4 Dec 27, 2007
Manufacturing jobs are leaving the state. There are not many people who are prepared to do other types of jobs beyond this. For many years, this is what their parents and grandparents have only known. The new types of jobs in the state of Michigan take more Schooling and Training at least. I am not saying that a person would not be able to do these jobs without training and schooling, but the lack of businesses to hire individuals with without the skills necessary. Everyone including myself would like to blame this all on Granholm, but the fact of the matter is, the problem goes further. Globalization and regional integration have a lot to do with these industry changes. I do not like them, but people have to adapt with the times.

Since: Oct 07

Big Rapids, MI

#5 Dec 27, 2007
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
Only by 30,500? I'm thinking that's a conservative estimation.
It would have been a lot higher, but you have to figure in all the illegals coming from countries with even worse economies than us. Hard to believe there are such places, huh?
Republican

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Dec 27, 2007
The republican solution to this will be to send troops in.

United States

#7 Dec 27, 2007
Republican wrote:
The republican solution to this will be to send troops in.
Yup...straight to Lansing and run Jenny right back to Canada....
broke

United States

#8 Dec 27, 2007
we lost all our good paying jobs, our housing market crashed. fuel prices are terrible and I know they are terrible everywhere but we have approx 7 months heating. I would also move west but I can't sell my home!!!!!!!!!!

“Common sense RULES ”

West Michigan

#9 Dec 27, 2007
Smile, and think its only going to get worse before it gets better. Michigan will hopefully rebound before everyone leaves the state.
Heh

Spring Hill, TN

#10 Dec 27, 2007
I'm one of the ones that moved in late 2005. Looking at the USA Today map... looks like Michigan was the only one to lose residents.

LOSERS! LOL ALL IS DOOMED IN THE GREAT LAKE STATE!
Heh

Spring Hill, TN

#11 Dec 27, 2007
Oh, and a lot of it started when Engler was still governor. That's the amazing thing about you dim-witted Michiganders lacking a long-term memory.
doug

Denver, CO

#12 Dec 27, 2007
thanks again jen !!!! more lost jobs

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Dec 27, 2007
Too much money is being waisted on the Michigan Department Of Corrections so they and their famlies and friends can have good paying jobs.
Property taxes are just killing people who are already in trouble.
Then there is the cost of medical.
Even our Michigan Goverment is a big waist of our money.
Granholm should step off from being Governor and start a school for CHEER LEADERS sence she's so good at it. I KNOW she's very good at selling and spreading fecal matter. Perhaps she should be a farmer.
Then again there's the Michigan Legislation; Good thing they don't have anything hard to do. Of course if you or I performed on our jobs the way they do we'd get fired for incompatence. That is if we had a job.
On the other hand who are these people who keep voteing them back in ?
Some where in the mix the fact is, THEY WORK FOR US, NOT WE WORK FOR THEM! THE ONLY THING WE NEED TO CHANGE IS OUR ATTITUDE; can't you see that?
I think it's about time on any ballot it's time for (NONE OF THE ABOVE). I'm sick of voteing for the lesser of two evils!!!!!
Shouldbehigher

Miami, FL

#14 Dec 27, 2007
Don't know what they based this number on but it should be higher.
With the amount of jobs lost, high unemployment, foreclosures, the numbers just don't add up.
Wonder if Granholm can read these numbers clearly, won't make any difference since we are stuck with her until 2010...and she has done so much damage already, along with the other idiots in Lansing...
Don't know about recovering with MI, it is going to take a very long time!
Chig-Tso

Bay City, MI

#15 Dec 27, 2007
My ecomony in China is very strong in manufacturing base, our families are are very strong now because of all u.s. products are made near Shanghai. Thanks you America for sending all your jobs and money to China, we have a lot of money now, especially with the american dollar down so far now .

Thank you.
Heh

Spring Hill, TN

#16 Dec 27, 2007
Blame Engler and the Republican Senate!

Get some brains people!
dim-witted Michigander

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Dec 27, 2007
Heh - it sure appears like you were no great loss to the brain pool in this state.

United States

#18 Dec 27, 2007
Heh wrote:
Blame Engler and the Republican Senate!
Get some brains people!
Sure, we can do that...I already do. But what has Jenny done to stop the landslide?

She has had 6 years and hasn't so much as put a band-aid on the bleeding.

Please fill us in, Heh...

Richmond, IL

#19 Dec 27, 2007
It is amazing, I am sure if we look in every talk back section, somebody is bashing bush, engler, granholm and every other political or religious person and so much more. They all play a part in it all. It is not one individuals fault. We can blame ourselves somewhat because we have not educated ourselves in order to adjust to change. In todays age, we must be willing to more than just one thing. I got laid off permanently from my last job. I received my Bachelor Degree about 2 months prior and now I have another job doing something that I like to do even though the money was not as good. I was able to adapt and put myself in line to move up and get to where I want to be. It is just a small setback.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 27, 2007
Ah, but there's the crux of it, Gent - not too many people WANT to better themselves. Remember where you are? Michigan - the Welfare State. The majority of it's residents would rather a) collect state assistance or b) sit around and bitzh about their circumstances.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 19 hr WMNewsFan 3,124
Woman charged with raping dog Dec 5 Oracle 1
Quote of the Day (Feb '08) Nov 29 Kelly Joanne Cannon 485
News 'Okay to be White' signs popping up in Grand Haven Nov 27 Sad Bastard 4
boycott alabama now (Dec '08) Nov 26 Sattva Virginius 291
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Nov 26 Coachman47 1,192
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) Nov 21 District 1 400

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages