Toddler hospitalized after swallowing...

Toddler hospitalized after swallowing pills

There are 109 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Aug 3, 2008, titled Toddler hospitalized after swallowing pills. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A 15-month-old girl was rushed to Spectrum hospital Sunday afternoon after swallowing an unknown number of Advil pills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Sad

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Aug 3, 2008
Prayers Needed

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids Michigan

#2 Aug 3, 2008
where were parents at the time the little one took the pills and why were the pills were the little child could get them!!!!!!!!!!
A Grandmother

Castle Rock, CO

#3 Aug 3, 2008
My prayers are with you and the entire family.
Mary from Allegan

Midland, MI

#4 Aug 3, 2008
My prayers are with that family. Why didn't they take her in when she ate them? Did they not know she ate them until she wouldn't wake up? I hope all is alright with he baby.

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#5 Aug 3, 2008
I hope this baby pulls through okay. Prayers for this family is needed at this time.
grandmas rant

United States

#6 Aug 3, 2008
What in the world is going on in these parents so called brains. So many little ones hurt and dieing. Wake up parents!
wondering in Edmore

Caledonia, MI

#7 Aug 3, 2008
I am so sick of hearing of all these children being killed/injured by their so called "parents". The part that really gets me is that theses people go on to have more children even after they are found responsible for the death or serious injury of the previous child. Why are these people allowed to have more children? I understand accidents happen--but come on, where is the common sense of these "parents". Put the medicine way up high or lock it up--was anyone watching this child? And yes, I have two children who are under the age of four.
wondering in Edmore

Caledonia, MI

#8 Aug 3, 2008
grandmas rant wrote:
What in the world is going on in these parents so called brains. So many little ones hurt and dieing. Wake up parents!
I AGREE
cherish each day

United States

#9 Aug 3, 2008
How sad..Wish more details were reported..prayers are being sent up.. other readers please keep this toddler in your thoughts and prayers..Let's get a chain of prayers for this baby... and the family :)...
heather

Greenville, MI

#10 Aug 3, 2008
smoothgirl76 wrote:
where were parents at the time the little one took the pills and why were the pills were the little child could get them!!!!!!!!!!
i agree with you
heather

Greenville, MI

#11 Aug 3, 2008
yes prayers are needed for the girl and where were the parents when she took the pills.seems they werent watching her

“Any good mice lately?”

Since: Mar 08

Hairball Holler

#12 Aug 3, 2008
wondering in Edmore wrote:
I am so sick of hearing of all these children being killed/injured by their so called "parents". The part that really gets me is that theses people go on to have more children even after they are found responsible for the death or serious injury of the previous child. Why are these people allowed to have more children? I understand accidents happen--but come on, where is the common sense of these "parents". Put the medicine way up high or lock it up--was anyone watching this child? And yes, I have two children who are under the age of four.
Yup I agree! and yet we are all considered cold hearted b*st*ards for questioning these incidents and not sending "prayers and sympathy" out to the "poor" parents because they are going through so much right now. No one is accountable anymore and no one is expected to have any common sense anymore. I don't have children so I guess I'm just supposed to sit bakc and not say anything, joining the ranks of the mindless stepford posters who send their useless, too little too late "prayers".
getaclue

Colorado Springs, CO

#13 Aug 3, 2008
I am truly sorry that some of you didn't eat advil pills when you were younger.

My prayers go to your families for the wasted lives you live.
grc

Plainwell, MI

#14 Aug 3, 2008
For once can you people just stop with the "blame the parents","take their kids away", "shoot them dead".

Yes, the pills should have been put away. But what if they were in the medicine cabinet? When my son was 15 months old, he climbed on the refrigerator. Know where I was? Changing his sister's diaper in the next room.

We can do all of the baby proofing in the world and a toddler will STILL find something to get into.

Im sure this ACCIDENT was preventable, but sometimes we dont know what type of mischief our kids will get in. It is possible those pills were put up. We dont know.
No Good

Lafayette, CO

#15 Aug 3, 2008
I can see an older child being able to open pill bottles, around 3-4 years old, but not a 15 month old. Also, my children know how to climb etc..so I hide pills good around here, a 15 month old isn't climbing up on toilets getting into the medicine cabinet. Then they let the baby take a nap?!?!? Uhhh...Oooookay.
grc

Plainwell, MI

#16 Aug 3, 2008
No Good wrote:
I can see an older child being able to open pill bottles, around 3-4 years old, but not a 15 month old. Also, my children know how to climb etc..so I hide pills good around here, a 15 month old isn't climbing up on toilets getting into the medicine cabinet. Then they let the baby take a nap?!?!? Uhhh...Oooookay.
True. Advil bottles if not closed correctly are easy to open. Even if they are closed correctly you just have to turn the cap and flip it up. It isnt like prescription caps (it should be). I dont think the article mentioned if they knew she ate the pills prior to nap or not either. The story just doesnt give enough info (typical of news 8 though. They would rather be first, than complete.) Either way, it was an accident ( I hope.) They happen. We learn from them.

Now if it turns out the mother fed the advil to the baby, well that's a whole nother ball of wax.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#17 Aug 3, 2008
OMGsh I hope this isn't going to turn out to be a case where the parents actually gave the child these pills. Remember that day care provider who gave an adult sleeping pill to a baby who died? And then they let this toddler take a nap? DUH, ignition running in the car with no one in car.

“Any good mice lately?”

Since: Mar 08

Hairball Holler

#18 Aug 3, 2008
getaclue wrote:
I am truly sorry that some of you didn't eat advil pills when you were younger.
My prayers go to your families for the wasted lives you live.
And you are of great value to the world by doing what? Defending the lack of common sense?
I am who I am

Rockford, MI

#19 Aug 3, 2008
A 15 month old...opened a child proof bottle of advil and took some...then the parents put the child down for a nap? and it didn't want to wake up when the nap was over? Did I read this right? A 15 month old is a year and 3 months old...it opened a bottle of advil...ate a bunch and put itself down for a nap? Am I reading this right? There has to be more to this story.......

God Bless this Child it will need it.
justagirl

Mount Pleasant, MI

#20 Aug 3, 2008
grc wrote:
For once can you people just stop with the "blame the parents","take their kids away", "shoot them dead".
Yes, the pills should have been put away. But what if they were in the medicine cabinet? When my son was 15 months old, he climbed on the refrigerator. Know where I was? Changing his sister's diaper in the next room.
We can do all of the baby proofing in the world and a toddler will STILL find something to get into.
Im sure this ACCIDENT was preventable, but sometimes we dont know what type of mischief our kids will get in. It is possible those pills were put up. We dont know.
She is exactly right in this statement. There weren't many details reported except that the pills were in the mother's purse. That purse could have been on the counter and the baby could have pulled it off. Anything could have happened.

Someone here said 15 month olds can't climb up onto a toilet. You're wrong! Some can. I promise you. I have a 15 month old that can climb up on anything.

My thoughts and prayers are with this toddler, the mother and the rest of the family. I am sending many healing thoughts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Aug 10 Isnt That Special 15
Local News Women (Apr '09) Aug 10 Butchers Fresh Meat 2,991
Does anyone remember The Red Lion restaurant in... (Jun '16) Aug 3 Steveo 3
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Aug 3 Fun Facts 635
topless maid in gr (Jul '08) Jul 30 Billy Barry 30
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law Jul 27 Ampman 14
News 18-year-old shot by Grand Rapids police during ... Jul 27 White Priv 9

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance