Man, 34, beaten near downtown bar

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A 34-year-old man is in critical condition after being beaten up by four men near a downtown bar.
Comments
41 - 60 of 112 Comments Last updated May 23, 2008
Annie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

As the mother of Raymond Ortega, I would like to respond to some of the comment that my son was "probably drinking" or "Let's face it drinking causes problems." If Ray was drinking, does that mean he deserves to die? The next time you grab a beer, do you deserve to be beaten down and die? My heart is aching with the pain my son is suffering. Ray's family is sitting in the hospital praying day and night for his recovery. For those of you praying thank you with all my heart. Ray needs our prayers. Each day he survives is a prayer answered. I pray with all my heart that your sons and daughters are safe and this does not happen to them. Thank you.
Nikki

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

I am heartbroken for the family. I know them well and they are truly a great family
Nikki

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

hollander wrote:
Face it. Drinking causes lots & lots of problems. Just one more example.
Drinking is not the problem. Lack of civility is.
Baby D

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

To all of you makeing negative comments about Raymond please keep in mind he has a daughter who is deeply saddened by this so please stop the negativity!
Boogs

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

I have worked with Ray, and he participates in my fantasy baseball league. I have known him for years. He is a great guy, animal lover, hard worker, and has a great sense of humor. Nobody here knows exactly what happened. Regardless of the circumstances or where this happened, nobody deserves this. Thoughts and prayers to Ray and his family.
Krisi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Baby D wrote:
To all of you makeing negative comments about Raymond please keep in mind he has a daughter who is deeply saddened by this so please stop the negativity!
This is his daughter's mom and I thank you for asking them to stop and I am also asking to stop. She is only 10 years old and is really struggling with this. If you don't have anything good to say then leave your thoughts to yourself. Ray is a wonderful father and he doesn't deserve any of this. Not only have they destroyed his life but also his daughter's and all of his family's. For those of you who care, please keep him in his prayers. He is a strong man and we hope and pray that he fights back and comes back to us.
Truth 007

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Beverly wrote:
It is with deep sadness that I am responding to the article written with regard to Raymond Ortega. For those of you who do not know him, he is a very intelligent and kind-hearted individual. Ray works very hard at his job. Ray tries to be a wonderful father, son, brother, uncle and simply, a human being. As each of you get up in the morning, and put one foot in front of the other, I hope you are reminded that Ray once did the same. He will now never be the same.
Very well said! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Ray is in very grave condition, and as I sit by his bed and pray that he once again takes his next breath on his own I wonder how many of you sympathize with his condition. Ray did not deserve to be beaten down and he does not deserve to be near death. Which one of you deserves the same treatment. I bet none of you think so. Ray was not drunk. Just because he was leaving a bar does not mean that you have to assume the worst. He was just on his way home.
It is sad that we cannot go out in public without wondering if we will be jumped. The lesson learned is that no one is exempt. You can be next. The difference is that I would pray for you and your family. You can be at the bank, grocery store, pumping gas or walking around the block.(My own son was at the bank.) For those of you with a kind heart remember that Ray has a family when you make cruel and rude comments. Please pray for Ray. Thank you for your consideration.
Very well said. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!! God Bless
Ellie P

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

I am Ray's niece and and praying for him every minute. I know he is strong and will pull through. He is a wonderful person and an a amazing father. Please keep him in your prayers! We all Love him very much!
Seenitbefore

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Do you suppose he was probably drinking? So what. I have a drink or two once in a while too. How many out there don't. The issue is what is going on in that area and just who has what it takes to remedy it.
Pat

South Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Baby D, Baby M and TBO I will be praying for your Uncle/Brother, for a complete healing and that justice will be served...no one deserves having something like this happen. all of you people making the negative comments please stop.
Informed User

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

jjb wrote:
The Bob is not on Monroe Center.... The Drink Ultral Lounge, however is.
Are you that stupid? The BOB is on the corner of Monroe and Fulton! You know most of you people are ignorant. If you know what is going on then go ahead and make a comment about it being about race or whatever bar it is. I am white and I have been harassed so it has nothing to do with your color, it has to do with your attitude! They don't want rif raf and that is one way to keep it to a minimun!
THE MAN

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

MY lead off comments were from personal experiences that did NOT pertain in any way towards RAYS situation.
RAY sounds like he's pretty a cool dude
and my PRAYERS go out to him and his FAMILY(man beaten was really the only info given).
i WISH the report was MORE in DEPTH toward TRYIN to catch the IDIOTS/RETARDS
that did THIS.
in MY case the cops KNEW and still did NOTHING.

i HOPE they catch THEM and MESS thier LIFE'S WORSE.
Informed User

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Beverly wrote:
It is with deep sadness that I am responding to the article written with regard to Raymond Ortega. For those of you who do not know him, he is a very intelligent and kind-hearted individual. Ray works very hard at his job. Ray tries to be a wonderful father, son, brother, uncle and simply, a human being. As each of you get up in the morning, and put one foot in front of the other, I hope you are reminded that Ray once did the same. He will now never be the same.
Ray is in very grave condition, and as I sit by his bed and pray that he once again takes his next breath on his own I wonder how many of you sympathize with his condition. Ray did not deserve to be beaten down and he does not deserve to be near death. Which one of you deserves the same treatment. I bet none of you think so. Ray was not drunk. Just because he was leaving a bar does not mean that you have to assume the worst. He was just on his way home.
It is sad that we cannot go out in public without wondering if we will be jumped. The lesson learned is that no one is exempt. You can be next. The difference is that I would pray for you and your family. You can be at the bank, grocery store, pumping gas or walking around the block.(My own son was at the bank.) For those of you with a kind heart remember that Ray has a family when you make cruel and rude comments. Please pray for Ray. Thank you for your consideration.
Beverly speaks the truth! As a person that not only knows Ray, I also know some of his siblings. He is a great guy and he is a strong man and my prayers are that he pulls out of this real soon and that God is at his bedside right now telling him he is going to pull through and live for many years yet. He is too young and there are a lot of prayers going out to him and his family. Please put positive thoughts on here, not negative racial statements and ones in regaurds to what he may or may not have done or drank. My prayers go out once again to him and his family, and I hope that the people that did this to him relize that they have done wrong and turn themselves in and apologize to the family. Not that it will make it better but at least it will let them know they aren't low lifes and have a heart not filled with hate.
Crazy

Franklin, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Our area is getting ridiculously invaded with violence! Everytime my husband goes to a bar, somebody picks a fight with him...never fails. He will be the bigger man and walk away, to end up walking out to leave and get jumped. Aren't these bars worried? Of course, not, they have already gotten their money. I think it should be a law to have security or some plan in place so this stops happening. You can't even go out and have a good time anymore without having to watch your back...just like the boy that was beaten to death outside of Margarita Grill. Nobody learns lessons....did these people we are looking for see how much trouble the dummies were that beat that poor kid to death??

On another note, my prayers are with the Ortega family to hope that Raymond pulls through this.
rdmced

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Our hearts go out to Ray and his family what a shame you can't enjoy your time out without other people infringeing on other peoples rights and being animals..
Troy

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

My prayers go out to my friends Ray&Jess and the
family, hope you get well soon. Hang in there Jess.

Troy
1 Luv

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Truth 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Although the article didnt say anything about "racially motivated" we really dont know. What I am going to agree with (because I read all the posts thus far) is with your comments about the BOBBERS. I am certainly all for a dress code but you have a point about how certain minorities are treated. Its not just the BOB, the Grill and others around there are just as guilty. I have seen it and refused to go thru it. If you are turned away and you feel as though your money isnt good there...DONT GO. I for one dont club downtown GR for that reason. I have friends of all races that sees this mistreatment and dont condone this behavior. So "most" of choose to not attend! Go to Chicago, Detroit, Muskegon, anywhere that will treat you based on the content of character and not the color of your skin nevertheless the color of the green in your wallet! Like you said before.....its LIFE...we are use to it and if you're not you will be in for a rude awakening. So I feel your pain and point! Stay up.
Agree. As a GR area resident, born and raised, I have experienced (although not first hand) the prejudices against minorities. Apparently, at these fine estabishments, particularly the Margarita Grill, even if one associates with minorities she is equally unworthy of respect from the bar operators.
A few years ago 2 of my white girlfriends and I (also white) visited the MG. After 15 or so minutes we decided to leave for various reasons. Upon leaving, an employee at the door implied we were leaving because there wasn't enough black c*ck. When I called management the following morning, he acted as if these comments are the norm. DO NOT SUPPORT THESE TYPES OF BUSINESSES! Maybe one day we'll all live in peace....(wishing on a star)
My prayers go out to Raymond and his family. Please pray for justice.
idunno

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

I O U
James

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Informed User wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you that stupid? The BOB is on the corner of Monroe and Fulton! You know most of you people are ignorant. If you know what is going on then go ahead and make a comment about it being about race or whatever bar it is. I am white and I have been harassed so it has nothing to do with your color, it has to do with your attitude! They don't want rif raf and that is one way to keep it to a minimun!
Apparently your not as informed as you think. You are correct, the BOB is on the corner of Monroe and Fulton. However, Monroe Center is a totally different street from Monroe. I realize it can get confusing. Monroe Center runs at an angle from Monroe/Pearl to N. Division. The article does not state where on Monroe Center he was, but I believe the GR Press said it was Ionia/Monroe Ctr.

Unfortunately, this happens throughout the city every now and then. Simply put it's a bunch of cowards who are up to no good. Hopefully they are caught and slam dunked into jail.

My prayers go out to their victim.
R Bro

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Drinking or not who is that much of a f_(*)_( coward as to have to have more than one person to fight? One on one not four on one a bunch of pu$@@ies

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids