“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Since: Apr 09

Grand Rapids

#22 May 20, 2009
Allegan Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...none of the above. It's a winding road but basically I degreed in Physiological Psychology then did a stint as a Platoon Sgt. in the Marines. After I got out I did security consulting to the rich and shameless. I was married at the time to a domestic violence conselor. I picked up a bit of medical training along the way.
I don't get too excited about many issues but domestic violence is definately one of them. You gain an appreciation after the first time you have a conversation with your wife that begins: "How was work honey?" "Oh, it was one of those days, I had an emergency intake for a 6 year old boy who watched his father beat his mother to death with a hammer..."
Wow...just wow. Makes most of the stuff we debate here everyday seem pretty trivial in retrospect.
By the way, thanks for your Marine service, AR.
Mom in Jenison

Westminster, CO

#23 May 20, 2009
Momma_G - you're really doing all you can with the documentation. When you have enough documentation you might be able to get his visitation resticted to supervised visits. You might consider having the school counselor talk with him about the situation and write up an evaluation (although a lot of school will not get involved with custody disputes). I don't think you're stupid at all for asking for advice about this - lots of people have been through it, and usually someone will have some advice to offer that you might not have thought of.

Off topic, but is "obviously" another one of "bunnee's" aliases? Those two posts sound like they were written by the same person.
Mom in Jenison

Westminster, CO

#24 May 20, 2009
Businessminded_plus4 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would consider getting a hand-held tape recorder and keep it in your pocket- the SMALL digital style are nice. About the size of a large sharpie pen. Recordings are FAR more startling than words on a piece of paper. It's very difficult to 'write down' what is less about the words and more about the tone and disposition of the person yelling.
Now if you wanted to be funny (which I don't think this is but it's fun to dream) spray some air freshner the next time and say 'gee there is a stink in the air....' lol.....(I AM JK)
Is it legal to record someone without their knowledge? Not that I care much about the jerk's civil liberties, but would Momma_G be able to submit that in court as evidence?
Allegan Redneck

United States

#25 May 20, 2009
radell wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not agree with you more! Great post! But just the shoes? ; }
LMAO....Just remaining true to form that I will:

a) Seek to inject humor into any situation no matter how dire.
b) Recieve no end of amusement from using psychology to fk with people who I find deserving.:-)
Allegan Redneck

United States

#26 May 20, 2009
Mom in Jenison wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it legal to record someone without their knowledge? Not that I care much about the jerk's civil liberties, but would Momma_G be able to submit that in court as evidence?
If you are acting as a private citizen...you betcha it's legal to record someone without they're knowledge. As to it's probative value in court, I imagine that's up to the judge to decide.
Allegan Redneck

United States

#27 May 20, 2009
Tango Kilo wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...just wow. Makes most of the stuff we debate here everyday seem pretty trivial in retrospect.
By the way, thanks for your Marine service, AR.
Welcome...

I related a story months back on a similar thread about the time my wife drove a women from Tuscon to Las Vegas with me literally riding shotgun. Her abusive husband was trying to kill her because she ran out on him after ratting out all of his illegal activity to his Captain,(he was a North Carolina State Trooper). He chased her across the country and because he was in law enforcement he could access the locations of all the DV shelters. I don't get shaken too easily but that guy was fing scary...

Since: Sep 08

Muskegon

#28 May 20, 2009
Allegan Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are acting as a private citizen...you betcha it's legal to record someone without they're knowledge. As to it's probative value in court, I imagine that's up to the judge to decide.
We found at work that recording without both party's knowledge is something that varies from state to state. Obviously, you only need to check one. But think about my advice to prevent the heated conversations in the first place. It helped me out a great deal, and my ex is on disability for being mentally ill.
Businessminded

Wyoming, MI

#29 May 20, 2009
Mom in Jenison wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure -perhaps somebody else can pipe in on that. One thing I do know is evidence or not, you'll get the attention of a cop more based on hearing it with his own ears vs. what you say. Think of the 9-11 calls you hear repeated...sometimes they just don't have the same meaning when you read it in the paper.
Allegan Redneck

United States

#30 May 20, 2009
radell wrote:
<quoted text>
We found at work that recording without both party's knowledge is something that varies from state to state. Obviously, you only need to check one. But think about my advice to prevent the heated conversations in the first place. It helped me out a great deal, and my ex is on disability for being mentally ill.
Absolutely right, I think there are 13 states that prohibit it, Michigan is not one of them. But I believe the key is 'without both party's knowledge', for example wiretapping a phone conversation between two people without them knowing. When you are one of those party's however, you can record anything you want because you are one of the subjects of the conversation.

I can imagine what you've gone through, I'm sure it was very trying. I hope you've found peace.
bunnee

Hudsonville, MI

#31 May 20, 2009
Does anyone have a remedy for pubic razor burn itch?

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#32 May 20, 2009
Allegan Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely right, I think there are 13 states that prohibit it, Michigan is not one of them. But I believe the key is 'without both party's knowledge', for example wiretapping a phone conversation between two people without them knowing. When you are one of those party's however, you can record anything you want because you are one of the subjects of the conversation.
I can imagine what you've gone through, I'm sure it was very trying. I hope you've found peace.
The other side of the coin so to speak...take it out, make it clear the conversation is being recorded...it's amazing how well that works.

Since: Nov 08

USA

#33 May 20, 2009
bunnee wrote:
Yes, I hear if you pour rubbing alcohol on it, it will do wonders. Please give it a try.

Since: Oct 08

Jackson, MI

#34 May 20, 2009
Momma_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Got Guido's number?? LOL
And thanks AR... I don't think I'm being stupid about this... I honestly wondered if anyone had any other ideas, short of what I'm already doing.
Like I said, everything has been documented... police reports to just my own notes of the incidents. The FOC has all this info as well. The restraining order is my next logical step.
When you know the ex will be around, try to have witnesses conveniently visiting at the same time ...

“Russian ties?”

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#35 May 20, 2009
bunnee wrote:
One gallon of gasoline, and a match will be good for you!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Julie

Grand Rapids, MI

#36 May 20, 2009
Try shooting him with rock salt, that always works.
Momma_G wrote:
Looking for suggestions... I have a verbally abusive ex husband. I have involved the Sheriff & filed complaints. Last night was particularly bad. It upsets our 12 year old (almost 13) and when he tries to tell his dad how he feels, Ex yells at him too.
Any advice?
Julie

Grand Rapids, MI

#37 May 20, 2009
Vicks works too.
bunnee wrote:
Thewayiseeit

Cadillac, MI

#38 May 20, 2009
The men that are this way to women and children are usually the cowardly type when confronted by another man. Maybe there's a friend or pastor in your life that might help you out. At least keep the police involved.

Since: Nov 08

Jenison, MI

#39 May 21, 2009
I'm not sure I could record since a lot of the altercations occur on the phone. I could just ignore his calls (which I often do) but when they get my children upset, I'm going to defend them like a Momma Lion!

I've completed my paperwork & have all my notes and police reports in hand. Filing for my PPO today.
Mom in Jenison

Westminster, CO

#40 May 21, 2009
Good luck, Momma. I hope it all works out for you.
Big Mike

Hamtramck, MI

#41 May 21, 2009
You want me to slap the S h i t out of him ??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WZZM13 - Plainfield Skating Rink closes (Jul '07) Apr 28 Danny 52
Local News Women (Apr '09) Apr 28 PedroVotes 2,888
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Apr 28 a commenter 1,172
Why Do Men and Women Like To Be Called Mommy or... (Nov '08) Apr 8 Disturbing 95
Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14) Apr 7 Kimmie 12
Poll Betty Ford has died. Do you care? (Jul '11) Apr 2 Fred 266
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Apr 2 lol 616

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages