Autopsy: Child drank rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover
There are 409 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 19, 2008, titled Autopsy: Child drank rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:The death of a 2-year-old boy at a daycare has been ruled accidental by the Kent County medical examiner's office.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.
#1 Mar 19, 2008
So it was the fault of the daycare provider. Per state regulations, those types of dangerous chemicals should have been secured away from the reach of small curious children. Safety violations were also among the reasons that the state suspended her license.
Prayers are with the family.
#2 Mar 19, 2008
If I were this family, I would sue this daycare provider. Friend or not, this is totally uncalled for!
#3 Mar 19, 2008
No,there is something really wrong with this picture.
He drank rubbing alcohol and washed it down with nail polish remover ?
I'm sorry but how did no one know about this ?
This child had to be gagging and i'm sure crying.
What did he do when he was done? Put the caps back on AND put the stuff back in the cupboard ?
#4 Mar 19, 2008
So very sad.... a terrible tragedy for the family and those who knew this little boy!
#5 Mar 19, 2008
This is sooo sad! Prayers go out to the family! Who in their right mind keeps those items at the reach of a 2 year old!
#6 Mar 19, 2008
Please put chemicals up and out of reach of little hands!
#7 Mar 19, 2008
This article is so much of what is happening to our "babies" Yes babies- Keenan was a two year old baby and obviously, he was not being properly attended to.
How utterly devestating it must have been to send their child to ovenight daycare- clean and healthy only to learn the next that he had died.
It is time right now to start making these adults totally and crimimally responsive.
I say "JUSTICE FOR KEENAN.'
Karen - Michigan
#8 Mar 19, 2008
I also would check the truthfulness in the statement that he drsnk rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover- how in heavens name did a 2 yr. old open such containers?
Something is fishy in Demark !!!!!
#9 Mar 19, 2008
This really does not give that much information about what happened..why did they not catch this when she took the boy into the doctors?..how long had she had the boy before he became ill? how does anyone know where these chemicals were.if all the facts are not there only bits an pieces people should not be so judgemental.
#10 Mar 19, 2008
The violations you reference could be so simple but made out to be much bigger. We are so quick to pull the media blurbs out of the story. I think we all know, that the media will blow things up to make a story more sexy. I am not saying things were not done that probably shouldn't have but lets not take the media reports as gospel.
The parents are going through enough.
#11 Mar 19, 2008
This does not sound right at all. My 2 year old would not drink this one after the other! She might get a little sip, but she would be spitting it out as fast as she could! This is fishy!
#12 Mar 19, 2008
everyone is so quick to attack the day care provider! HELLO people wake up, daycare is one of the toughest jobs out there, cut the lady some slack for heavens sake. this is totally not her fault, it is a horrible accident. criminally responsible? absolutely not! i'm sure she feels just awful that this happened, and she will have to face this everyday of her life, i can't even imagine how hard that will be. maybe if parents wouldn't be so quick to dump their kids off at day care to go to work, on vacation, blah blah blah these things wouldn't happen. dr. laura says it best "don't have them if you're not going to take care of them." my heart goes out to the family during this terrible time, but maybe they'll think twice about dumping off their baby to go play in mexico...
#13 Mar 19, 2008
If anyone has bothered to research, THANKS WOODTV-8 FOR LEAVING OUT THAT ACETONE IS ALSO FOUND IN CERTAIN GLUE/RUBBER CEMENT PRODUCTS AND IT TAKES A VERY MINIMAL AMOUNT TO BE FATAL IN A CHILD
#14 Mar 19, 2008
And I implore, ANY PARENT who has NEVER been unintentionally careless to step forward
#15 Mar 19, 2008
I feel for the childcare provider, also- to a point...but the responsibility for his well being was hers and she failed to follow through. A two year old needs constant supervision. Everyone taking care of children ( their own or someone elses) needs to learn a lesson here.
I am afraid there is no punishment that will ease the pain for either of the families.
#16 Mar 19, 2008
I have a 21 month old that would be able to open them. He can open pretty much everything else with a screw on lid. That is why nearly everything in our house that isn't his or nailed down is locked up. Not just out of reach, because my kid is a climber too.
#17 Mar 19, 2008
Fingernail polish remover
Some cleaning solutions
Some glues, including rubber cement
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Low blood pressure
Pain in belly area (abdomen)
Person may have a fruity odor
Sweet taste in mouth
Acting as if drunk
Slowed breathing rate
Shortness of breath
Increased need to urinate
Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
The patient's age, weight, and condition
The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
The time it was swallowed
The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
Activated charcoal if the patient arrives immediately after swallowing the poison
Tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
Oxygen, if needed
Accidentally drinking small amounts of acetone/nail polish remover is unlikely to harm you as an adult. However even small amounts can be dangerous to your child, so it is important to keep this and all household chemicals in a safe place.
If the person survives past 48 hours, the chances for recovery are good.
#18 Mar 19, 2008
Exactly! THANKS WOOD TV-8 FOR LEAVING OUT THE FACTS [ONCE AGAIN] THAT ACETONE IS ALSO FOUND IN THINGS OTHER THAN ALCOHOL AND FINGER NAIL POLISH REMOVER
#19 Mar 19, 2008
The media in this case has not built this story up to be more than it is. If that were the case, we would be getting more details than what we currently have.
However, what we do have are these facts: The parents left the children in the care of the daycare provider to go on vacation, the boy died while in the care of the daycare provider, the daycare was shutdown due to several rules violations including safety, and the boy died due to ingestion of isopropyl and/or acetone.
Based on those facts, I have enough to make a fairly reasonable judgment.
I can't decide whether to agree or disagree with you. Ultimately the parents should not have taken off on some far away frolic and abandoned their young children at a daycare for a week, I agree.
However, the daycare provider was running a business which has rules and regulations, and I will most certainly not cut her any slack. The remorse that she may or may not feel does not excuse her from her culpability in this matter.
#20 Mar 19, 2008
I'll tell you what, what parents do with their children is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, UNLESS of course abuse is taking place; that being said, read post that includes products [not all] that contain acetone
Add your comments below
|Truly Disturbing Racism and The Silence That Fo...||1 hr||Gville Jim||12|
|Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09)||1 hr||Gville Jim||1,143|
|Local News Women (Apr '09)||Jan 15||T-Man||2,823|
|Donald Trump defends use of "sch****ed" against... (Dec '15)||Jan 14||MrsMrs90||89|
|Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14)||Jan 14||MrsMrs90||6|
|Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07)||Jan 14||MrsMrs90||613|
|Is Obama a hypocrite?||Jan 13||Gville Jim||49|
Find what you want!
Search Grand Rapids Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC