Smoke break is ending for inmates in ...

Smoke break is ending for inmates in Michigan's prisons Tobacco...

There are 50 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Mar 2, 2008, titled Smoke break is ending for inmates in Michigan's prisons Tobacco.... In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

After experimenting with partial bans for the last 15 years, state prison officials plan to completely eliminate smoking and the use of other tobacco products by prisoners and staff early next year, extending ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

RCE

“RCE”

Since: Jun 07

Grand Rapids

#1 Mar 2, 2008
Brown said he understands why the department wants to reduce health care costs, but he said he believes there will be trade-offs, predicting that inmates will eat more and gain weight and drink more coffee, possibly leading to edgier prisoners.

Kirk Brown thanks for pointing that out. We will now make sure you get healthy portions for food and only give you decaf after 8am.

As I see it this is a catch 22. If you keep the lifers healthy that is one thing but maybe the ones that are going to be released back into society should not encouraged to become healthy and strong. Just a thought.
yeah

Ann Arbor, MI

#2 Mar 2, 2008
sounds like a good idea to me. They are locked up...why should they get something besides food and water? It's a great way to kick the habit even if it does mean you quit cold turkey!
great

AOL

#3 Mar 2, 2008
now they will live longer so we pay longer

Since: Feb 08

Tri-cities area

#4 Mar 2, 2008
RCE wrote:
Brown said he understands why the department wants to reduce health care costs, but he said he believes there will be trade-offs, predicting that inmates will eat more and gain weight and drink more coffee, possibly leading to edgier prisoners.
Kirk Brown thanks for pointing that out. We will now make sure you get healthy portions for food and only give you decaf after 8am.
As I see it this is a catch 22. If you keep the lifers healthy that is one thing but maybe the ones that are going to be released back into society should not encouraged to become healthy and strong. Just a thought.
LOL!!
Lisa

Grand Haven, MI

#6 Mar 2, 2008
TV should be taken away next!!!

“Hey it's ok, I've got 4WD!”

Since: Jan 08

Big Rapids, MI

#7 Mar 2, 2008
Who cares about their health, they are inmates! Why are we wasting news and money on them?

Since: Aug 07

white cloud

#8 Mar 2, 2008
H ell they broke the law they are in prison to be punnished. why should they get to smoke? H ell they get three squares a day. heat and cable why would they want to leave!!!H eck they have a better life then a lot of us out here. That work there a ss off and cant aford the heat bill!
hms

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Mar 2, 2008
white cloud mi wrote:
H ell they broke the law they are in prison to be punnished. why should they get to smoke? H ell they get three squares a day. heat and cable why would they want to leave!!!H eck they have a better life then a lot of us out here. That work there a ss off and cant aford the heat bill!
so true!!
Greg

Holland, MI

#10 Mar 2, 2008
wow what a bunch of Nazi's, i bet you consider your selfs liberals....

what about the black market this will create for cigarettes in prison, extrotion...basicly corruption.
remember Prohibition ...

hope you caring people get a taste of your medicine someday...soon.

RCE

“RCE”

Since: Jun 07

Grand Rapids

#11 Mar 3, 2008
CONM GIRL wrote:
Who cares about their health, they are inmates! Why are we wasting news and money on them?
That is the point. If they are not healthy then we the tax payers have to pay for their health care. My mom use to work in an emergency room and she said inmates from the local prison came in all the time with very non-descriptive symptoms and pain. One Christmas I visited my mom at work and in the short time I was there two prisoners were brought in. I guess they wanted their Christmas Dinner in the hospital and not prison.
Fred

Caledonia, MI

#12 Mar 3, 2008
What a joke. If the prisoners want to kill themselves by smoking, let them light up. Make them smoke 2 at a time, in fact.
TomatoSoupSteven

Parker, CO

#13 Mar 3, 2008
Greg from Holland has a very, very good point. If there are any readers out there who think that this is going to stop certain situations in the prison system I'm afraid you're very wrong. Smoking is the LEAST worry we should have in this state when it comes to prisoners and housing and whathaveyou. Do any of you have any idea how EASY it is to get drugs or make alcohol in prison? I'm not just talking about marijuana or making a little wine here. There are literally little "cartels" in the system made up of prisoners AND officers. There's more to this than is being stated. Tobacco and Coffee are the highest revenue that the state has, other than the prisoners themselves, when it comes to profit inside of the correctional facilities. We're talking about a loss of MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for the state by doing this. WHY? This is a situation that should have been dealt with PROPERLY years and years ago. For every action there is a re-action. Some have been stated in these posts already. Others will be read about and heard about as the date gets closer and then beyond. If anybody does'nt want to believe that, then if you can, try to find out by what percentage the behavioral problems in the system RISE as the date gets closer and beyond. And I'm not just talking about prisoners here either.
They just passed the law to keep prisoners locked up for the FULL minimum amount of their time. Now they want to make sure that they're going to be healthy enough to complete it. In closing one door, so many other doors AND windows are going to spring open.

Introduced by Rep. Rich Brown on February 21, 2006, the executive recommendation for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2006-2007 Department of Corrections budget. This appropriates $1.946 billion in adjusted gross spending (funded from all sources, including special state restricted fund and federal pass-through dollars, minus interdepartmental transfers), compared to $1.877 billion, which was the FY 2005-2006 amount enrolled in 2005. Of this,$1.865 billion will come from the general fund (funded by actual state tax revenues), compared to the FY 2005-2006 amount of $1.798 billion.

See how much the State spends? How do they compensate for the loss of revenue that this is going to cause?
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#15 Mar 3, 2008
Take away the Nuttybars and Honeybuns... but take away tobacco... there will be major problems. This will only increase unwanted behavior. Quite a few years ago, the Newberry facility went "tobacco free". One can of Bugler tobacco, rolled into small cigarettes and sold could fetch $1400. Guards were smuggling it in and making a killing. Better profit than weed and not a felony.
kmk

Roy, UT

#16 Mar 3, 2008
I think it is a bunch of crap that I have to pay for there health insurance, yet I can't afford to get myself any. I can't even afford cable.
Why does everyone feel we need to hold their hands and help them get healthier? They are adults. They make adult decisions. If they want to get healthier I am pretty sure they could do it on there own, just like everyone else in this world!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#17 Mar 3, 2008
Bad idea.
Fro

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Mar 3, 2008
They should not get TV, sugary snacks, coffee, or soda pop. They should have access to books and text books, and that’s it. They broke the law and they are there for a reason – they deserve nothing. Better yet, ask the families the victims about what they should get. Ask the daughter of Bob Kozminski about what kind of mid-afternoon snack Jeffery VanVels should get.

Two words will help reduce the prison population – capital punishment. I'd vote for it.
annie

United States

#19 Mar 3, 2008
I say BREAD nad WATER ONLY!!!!!!!!!! They did the crime let them not eat cake, they have it better then us in there, I am disabled can not get SSI, hubby works after paying bills and house if lucky have $100.00 left for food for 2 weeks, for a family of 4. Just tired of hearing about the poor people in jail.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#20 Mar 3, 2008
TomatoSoupSteven hit the nail on the head.

Remember, most of the revenue for items purchased by prisoners is ultimately provided by the prisoner's friends and family (taxpayers). The state profits from all items sold to prisoners which (supposedly) helps offset housing costs. Right or wrong... it is a money/profit issue. If it were more profitable to raise the cost of tobacco vs a healthcare savings... What do you think would happen?
Not a Jailbird

Glen Spey, NY

#21 Mar 3, 2008
If we can't smoke in most bars, they should not be able to smoke in prison.

Mihigan spends more per prisoner than most any state.

Outsource Prisons not our Jobs!!
Ratt

Ruston, LA

#22 Mar 3, 2008
No Smokes, Tea, Coffee, Cokes, Pooltable or even a weight room. Food, Water and Hard-Labor is all they need.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 2 hr T-Man 2,651
Government and Green Energy 5 hr Idea Maker 31
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 6 hr Idea Maker 1,073
republican farce must stop . . . it's over GOP 6 hr Idea Maker 17
Gorilla Shot Dead 7 hr Idea Maker 35
News Booming again: West Michigan's economy is on a ... 7 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 6
Brexit is America's advantage 7 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages