Real estate agent Marshall Redder, facing criminal charges for housing violations, commits suicide

Apr 13, 2011 Full story: MLive.com 29

A well-known West Michigan real estate agent recently charged with two misdemeanors for housing-related crimes has committed suicide.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SeenItBefore

Jenison, MI

#22 Apr 14, 2011
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>And possibly the humiliation of finally getting caught. Same thing as happened with that guy who owned Cybernet. In both cases now their spouses and children are left to clean up the mess, Emotional, Legal and Financial.
That is more to the point. Having had someone in the family that lived on the financial edge of what is legal and not, moral and not, with integrity or not, having lived their lives believing happiness and success hinged on financial success, having it catch up to them causes a desperation that suicide seems the only way out. That being left with the conception that their reputation of a success in life is gone, so is [the] life worth living.

I'll say nothing to Marshall Redder except to give my condolences to those who loved him.

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#23 Apr 15, 2011
neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
What's sad is all the unanswered questions his family is now left with.
I was thinking the same thing. I can only imagine how difficult this is for the people left behind that loved and cared about him.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#24 Apr 15, 2011
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>And possibly the humiliation of finally getting caught. Same thing as happened with that guy who owned Cybernet. In both cases now their spouses and children are left to clean up the mess, Emotional, Legal and Financial.
I wan't thinking of why he committed suicide but rather why he did what he did with real estate. It may have been desperation, frantically trying to keep his finances afloat while waiting for a recovery. His means of supporting himself and his family had disappeared, mostly through no fault of his own, from the sound of comments on here. My condolences to his loved ones.
SeenItBefore

Jenison, MI

#25 Apr 15, 2011
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
I wan't thinking of why he committed suicide but rather why he did what he did with real estate. It may have been desperation, frantically trying to keep his finances afloat while waiting for a recovery. His means of supporting himself and his family had disappeared, mostly through no fault of his own, from the sound of comments on here. My condolences to his loved ones.
First my disclaimer: All I really knew about him was from second and third hand, not knowing him personally or having dealt with him.

From what I had heard about him from friends and relatives in the real estate business he was always on the shady edge how he did business and he was in the top income for many years because of it. So, as I understand it, the only "desperation" he had was to make as much money as quickly and for as long as possible.
hotcorn

Grand Rapids, MI

#26 Apr 17, 2011
EmmaRae wrote:
The innocent don't go off to a warehouse and commit suicide. This man was scam artist and took advantage of people. Now he has left his family to wonder why? What coward.
Your the coward....you have nothing better to do then go on every website commenting about him. I detest you. Go back to the hole you crawled out of. You probably did not even know him and you certainly really think you have life all figured out. Thanx for figuring it all out for us. NO ONE IS A COWARD that kills themselves....it's called clinical depression and if you have never had it you would not understand how real it is. Talk a walk in someone's shoe's lady before you decide to judge them. What a limited point of view you have....I feel bad for you!
Anthony

United States

#27 Apr 18, 2011
it's funny how , even when your dead some people choose to disrespect ! God , forgive all those who choose to bad mouth a man who could no longer defend himself ! What is happening to our society , the man just passed away , can you forgive him? Can you give his family the respect they deserve as our neighbors ? Can you find it in your hearts to forgive ?
By the way the city of grand rapids MI is responsible for his death! As someone mentioned he owns many homes free and clear , he worked a life time for them , when the city looks up your name on thier computer they know exactly how many homes you own and they target you to squeze you for every dime you have! I know because the city did it to me and many people I know! When you don't comply they put a warrant for your arrest! They took it further with Marshall ! They publicly humiliated him with the news media , that's what pushed him over the edge I spoke to him the night before ! In addition when you deal with as many tenants as Mashall REdder not everyone will be happy !
John Galt

Byron Center, MI

#28 Apr 24, 2011
Anthony wrote:
it's funny how , even when your dead some people choose to disrespect ! God , forgive all those who choose to bad mouth a man who could no longer defend himself ! What is happening to our society , the man just passed away , can you forgive him? Can you give his family the respect they deserve as our neighbors ? Can you find it in your hearts to forgive ?
By the way the city of grand rapids MI is responsible for his death! As someone mentioned he owns many homes free and clear , he worked a life time for them , when the city looks up your name on thier computer they know exactly how many homes you own and they target you to squeze you for every dime you have! I know because the city did it to me and many people I know! When you don't comply they put a warrant for your arrest! They took it further with Marshall ! They publicly humiliated him with the news media , that's what pushed him over the edge I spoke to him the night before ! In addition when you deal with as many tenants as Mashall REdder not everyone will be happy !
While I was an appraiser and he still worked for Remax, I insulted his scamming ass to his face a number of times. The guy's only love was money, and how to scam it from people. Good riddance...
Nichole

Otsego, MI

#29 Jun 22, 2011
I think that he deserves what he. He's such a coward that he couldn't even live with what he did to a whole bunch of people,, my mom was one of those people and i just think that he knew what he was getting himself into and if he couldn't handle the outcome then why do it?
candice

Battle Creek, MI

#30 Nov 27, 2012
I rented from him as well he was a slum lord!! I quickly found out he was not ligit at all had my kids and I in a nasty home and I stopped paying him!!!! glad I am upset I gave him anything....wow... h should have felt ashamed I lost everytin cuz I was trying to pay his scandolos ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Anyone miss Rval? (Nov '12) 6 hr Ryleigh 52
Democrat's Husband Caught Stealing Republican C... 10 hr Oneal 4
Holder Says He Regrets Fox Reporter Subpoena .... 10 hr Oneal 4
21st century huberis flips the bird to national... Wed bobolinq 1
Sturgis latino festival (Aug '07) Wed sturgis urinal 6
Hillary says, "Businesses Don't Create Jobs" Wed Oneal 3
"I was in a state of denial:" West Mi... Wed cora arch 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match

Grand Rapids People Search