Grand Prairie ISD

Since: Apr 08

Grand Prairie, TX

#1 Apr 24, 2008
I would like to know anyone's opinion on the schools in this district. Does anyone have anything good to say about them? And, who has complaints?
Parent

Garland, TX

#2 Jan 12, 2009
Simple and short. This is my first year at Grand Prairie ISD. I do not think the school care if this is your 1st year at the school or if your kids are familiar with the campus. I though I had seen where the school started at 8:15 unless they changed that at the beginning of the year to 8:10am. If you kids are tardy, the school do not notify you that you are in violation of the policies. They just sent you straight to juisdiction of court. After you have been served by court, then you get a letter of notification by I guess district school truant officer stating that they sent you a letter before dating back. Maybe it is my fault my kids are late sometimes. To me I feel this is not about education, they is about a way of making parent pay out of pocket. I had been any other district before and I usually get notified instead of just getting serve a court order just for tardy. Had not have good experience yet, still skeptical about this district. Take this comment as what you want to put it, but I had been at better district.

Since: Dec 06

TX

#3 Jan 14, 2009
This made the news(headlines) for a lot of schools.

Kids are starting to hate school more and more. There is a bigger drop out rate then ever. More then 50% from what I last heard. They are to over-taxed on the tests they have to take to be able to graduate. If you pass your classes and fail the TAKS tests, you do not walk the stage. Teachers are made to focus more on TAKS & SAT's then what they are really there to truly teach. I would love to see the higher ups or the ones that initiated this & take those tests. If they fail....

Teach by example....

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/200...

http://www.generationengage.org/videoplayer/v...
Graduate

Dallas, TX

#4 Feb 7, 2009
The schools I went to Florence Hill Elem., Jackson Middle school and South Grand Prairie high school was actually not bad. I had a great experience with the public school. Be grateful with Grand Prairie ISD. It is much better than Arlington ISD.

TX

#5 Feb 8, 2009
Graduate wrote:
The schools I went to Florence Hill Elem., Jackson Middle school and South Grand Prairie high school was actually not bad. I had a great experience with the public school. Be grateful with Grand Prairie ISD. It is much better than Arlington ISD.
I've heard Duncanville HS is really bad....
Duncanville fan

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#6 Feb 8, 2009
TexasGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard Duncanville HS is really bad....
You heard wrong.
Duncanville has a great graduation percentage, way above Grandprairie,Dallas,and Arlington.
Duncanville is much more strict than most school districts.

TX

#7 Feb 9, 2009
Duncanville fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You heard wrong.
Duncanville has a great graduation percentage, way above Grandprairie,Dallas,and Arlington.
Duncanville is much more strict than most school districts.
This is based off my neighbors that came from that school district(HS)
Duncanville Fan

United States

#8 Feb 11, 2009
TexasGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
This is based off my neighbors that came from that school district(HS)
Well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions,but Duncanville has a great record in education.
parent

Garland, TX

#9 May 28, 2009
jdlajlsdj

“I Believe in Christ”

Since: Nov 08

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Jun 2, 2009
I went to Florence Hill, Truman, and SGP. From what I've heard, Florence Hill is still very good, Truman is sliding, and SGP is pretty bad as far as gangs and drugs go. Shoot, I only graduated in 2003 and it was bad when I went there. Kids would snort coke in the back of class when the teachers weren't looking, they'd deal in the hallways, and one girl even had the privilege of having a bottle of water in class revoked for everyone because she filled hers with vodka and got drunk. She was just the first one caught getting drunk on campus. Many did what she did, but they either came to school inebriated or got drunk on campus right after school. My brother graduated in 08 and things were worse. The kids that actually care about their educations are in the tiniest of minorities. The kids run the school, not the administrators or teachers.

TX

#11 Jun 27, 2009
Duncanville Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions,but Duncanville has a great record in education.
I've been gone from Topix(burn out)for awhile. But you are so right! That was just one neighbor....
Hank

United States

#12 Jul 5, 2009
Duncanville High has a GREAT marching band.
Hank

United States

#13 Jul 5, 2009
I used to teach band.
Matthew jesus Pina

New Bern, NC

#14 Feb 1, 2010
graduate is right i was at jackson middle school for 7th grade only living with my grand parents now im in havelock north carolina with my father a marine and am getting ready to move back to my hometown san diego california at jackson it was a great experience they have great sport teams very good classes and welcoming teachers and such and there is always somethinmg to do wether its swimming at south grand prarie high school on weekends or trusting your kids to go to the gas station and pick up a few things (depends on were your living) but overall it is pretty amazing
Student

Dallas, TX

#15 Feb 9, 2011
I don't know where the "greatness" is found in the Grand Prairie ISD. I graduated in 2005 (top 10, not percent but NUMBER) and absolutely hated it. They even ended up trying to reform the school district by firing the majority of the school faculty. They had one good program going to do a dual LVN (nursing license) and cancelled it because the superintendent at the time (Barbosa) saw it as unproductive and a waste of money, which is why I graduated so early since I had finished all my requirements to start my nursing degree. It didn't prepare me at all for "college" because the school system only believes in you achieving a technical degree in either cosmetology or car mechanics. I remember being in middle school at Kennedy and seeing pregnancy as a common factor (MIDDLE SCHOOL, not high school) so as you can see it only became a gateway for the worse. The vodka bottle/water bottle exchange is right, everyone did it, I even found it hilarious that the teachers would either not notice, or simply not care. I remember walking to class in high school and in passing was almost pulled into a fight of the throwing of kicks and punches and CAFETERIA CHAIRS. The only reason I succeeded in life was because I strived to get out of this school system. After attending a private university, I realized how different I grew up in seeing crystal meth or "ice" smoked in the back of the school, cocaine snorted in class, weed in the bathrooms, and even tablets of ecstasy for the ones who felt the need in the middle of the day. So if you want to bring your children to GP, get ready to motivate the heck out of them, because it's what my family did and in seeing my friends getting knocked up or locked up, I screamed "GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

I have one younger brother, who is graduating this year 2011, and he agrees. Absolutely hates the system, and is thankful they made a tech school (Dubiski Career High School) which he only got to go PART-TIME because they couldn't find enough students to enroll the first year it opened up when he was accepted. Thankfully, they have succeeded in opening up the first full-time load the year after it was opened so good luck to those students, because at this rate, the future of Grand Prairie is headed straight to armageddon and atomic failure.

**As far as Duncanville, I had friends go there, and it wasn't so bad because they do try to enforce their policies back in 2002-2005. Arlington is pretty bad depending on the zone, Dallas has employees that actually CARE and volunteer workers around to help and motivate so they offer plenty of opportunities, and Irving can be just as bad as GP (also known as GUN POINT to students, makes you think twice doesn't it?)
candace

Flint, TX

#16 May 15, 2011
Graduate wrote:
was wondering if you have any class pictures or group pictures from florence hill or jackson jr high
EX Grand Prairie Citizen

Dallas, TX

#17 Sep 9, 2011
In the schools "mediocrity rules. Most of the good teachers have gone. The school district is more show and rhetoric than substance and there really is no value stressed in education. I can see why politicians are cutting down on funding education and although the schools will use all the tricks to look good, they are not fooling anyone.
barbara

Dallas, TX

#18 Jan 13, 2012
Gpisd is not good my son has had 2 teachers put their hands on my son at 2 different schools abd they try and cover it up by lieing on your kids and they their all lazy now days.
Neil High School Senior

Dallas, TX

#19 Feb 19, 2013
If your kid is in a middle school that is north of pioneer then odds are he, or she is getting themselves in trouble. You know sometimes it's not about the teachers or the school district but the demographic that the district is serving. Being hispanic myself I don't mind pointing the finger at my own people, most hispanic kids don't care for school and most lie to their parents about the tardies.
Anywho, I love my school, I attend the new highschool, I could not be happier with my education, the only things I mind are the politics going on inside the district. A lot of people like to make themselves feel bigger than they really are so they block or stop some people short just because.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Prairie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County Line Dance Clubs (Feb '15) Mon Debora 11
Nudes for snapcash (Jan '16) Mon kittyfuck843 131
News Man who led armed protest at Texas mosque publi... (Dec '15) Mon JimGaddio 4
Are there any non-racist white people in Irving? Mon JimGaddio 1
Irving TX getto Mon JimGaddio 3
News Hispanic exodus from Irving, TX hurts businesses (Oct '07) Mon JimGaddio 257
News Suspected voter fraud in Grand Prairie fits sam... Mon JimGaddio 2

Grand Prairie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Prairie Mortgages