Global warming 'undeniable,' scientis...

Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 35524 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#31637 Feb 11, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have -20°C winter temperature, it's not a 2°C more that will allow you to get out bermuda dressed.
Agreed.

Yours is the best answer to these selfish, rich people. They come here just to say something like that.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31638 Feb 11, 2014
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't even mentioned Global Warming or asserted that it isn't valid.
So what? Your error is in definitions of science.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pointing out that we do not accept theories until proven otherwise.
You are wrong AGAIN, even though you have been supplied with the proper definition from the science academies. Read it again.
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php...

"Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses."

The contention that evolution should be taught as a "theory, not as a fact" confuses the "common use of these words with the scientific use. In science, theories do not turn into facts through the accumulation of evidence. Rather, theories are the end points of science. They are understandings that develop from extensive observation, experimentation, and creative reflection. They incorporate a large body of scientific facts, laws, tested hypotheses, and logical inferences. "
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the antithesis of science.
Theory is the TESTED (i.e. proven) end point of science.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
Only theories that are supported by the data are accepted and they are only accepted as long as the data support the theory. If the data no longer support the theory, the theory is rejected.
You are a bit confused. Yes. It is THEORY if and only if it is tested and proven. If it fails some test, then it is no longer theory. You are confused with the common mistake of using the term 'theory' when you mean 'hypothesis'. Theory IS proven science and ONLY when it has passed the test of evidence does the science academy accredit it AS a valid or proven theory. The confusion arises from the use of 'working theory' but with the conditional modifier missing.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
This is basic stuff.
So you do not understand basic scientific terminology. I have given you the reference from the proper authority. Please read it and learn.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
It also isn't my opinion and it is not an attempt to refute MMGW.
It IS your opinion or confusion only since it is not supported by the NAS.
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
it is not an attempt to refute MMGW. You made an erroneous statement. I am providing you with the correct information. Why are you so defensive?
Pot, Kettle, Black. Try thinking instead of blustering when you are caught making a mistake.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31639 Feb 11, 2014
Martin wrote:
Myself and fellow Canadians look forward to a little Global Warming up our way so we don't have to spend 8 months of the year down here in Florida! Most of us didn't by our winter homes down here right on the ocean for a reason either. Bring it on Mother nature.
You are being very dim. You do not want AGW in Florida. A diffference of 1C in temperature will NOT make your vacation better. But the reduction of temperature differentials worldwide and the increase in Gulf of Mexico water temperatures is bound to pay in some REALLY wicked hurricanes. Not to mention the weakening of the jet stream and thus massive arctic air masses moving your way. Please don't let your stupidity wipe out your vacation spot. Climate change is the real danger and it is NOT just a little bit warmer.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#31640 Feb 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Yours is the best answer to these selfish, rich people. They come here just to say something like that.
I've often good answers because it's my job to illustrate school books and science magazines, thus I've to keep myself aware of the state of art in many scientific matters.

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#31641 Feb 11, 2014
Martin wrote:
Myself and fellow Canadians look forward to a little Global Warming up our way so we don't have to spend 8 months of the year down here in Florida! Most of us didn't by our winter homes down here right on the ocean for a reason either. Bring it on Mother nature.
global warming could open up millions of acres in canada and russia to productive uses, like farming. Right now those acres produce little and it's very hard to survive there.
Seahawk

Seattle, WA

#31643 Feb 11, 2014
The land has no soil depth, no organic materials composting for generations, nobody handy (infrastructure)to work it, and WE don't own it, dip ----.....

I'd call you childish, but anyone reading your drivel sees it first hand...

Try again & do better... Worse is hardly possible...

“you know i know”

denver

#31644 Feb 11, 2014
Seahawk wrote:
The land has no soil depth, no organic materials composting for generations, nobody handy (infrastructure)to work it, and WE don't own it, dip ----.....
I'd call you childish, but anyone reading your drivel sees it first hand...
Try again & do better... Worse is hardly possible...
Really Dingus, nothing is growing there? Is that you idiotic point?

What organic material is there in the desert where they grow crops?

Are you in grade school by chance?
Almanac Gore

Hanoi, Vietnam

#31646 Feb 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Hello. How are you?
fine & thx!;)
John Atlas

Hanoi, Vietnam

#31647 Feb 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Hello. How are you?
houston;) yo mission in control & Bush missso accompolishy!! ;-000
Martin

Miami Beach, FL

#31648 Feb 11, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
global warming could open up millions of acres in canada and russia to productive uses, like farming. Right now those acres produce little and it's very hard to survive there.
This is what so many of us are hoping for, for our grandchildren.
Martin

Miami Beach, FL

#31649 Feb 11, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
Also when the Northwest passage becomes navigable it will be be a blessing to all shippers in the world and a huge financial gain to Canada, as we own it.
Counting chickens

Waipahu, HI

#31650 Feb 11, 2014
Duluth set an new ALL TIME RECORD for a string of below zero days.

This is an ALL TIME RECORD!!

This isn't a 5 year record etc, Duluth has NEVER BEEN THIS COLD BEFORE!!

It's called "Global Cooling" my friends.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31651 Feb 11, 2014
Counting chickens wrote:
This isn't a 5 year record etc, Duluth has NEVER BEEN THIS COLD BEFORE!!
It's called "Global Cooling" my friends.
No. It is called 'global warming induced climate change' caused by a weaker jet stream not holding back the arctic air masses as it once did. Or you can call it WINTER. At any rate it has nothing to do with cooling of the global average surface temperature. Or you would have to include the fact that Australia is burning up with record HIGH temperatures. Now go back to sleep. Sorry to disturb your dreams.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31652 Feb 11, 2014
Martin wrote:
<quoted text>
Also when the Northwest passage becomes navigable it will be be a blessing to all shippers in the world and a huge financial gain to Canada, as we own it.
Actually no ship has ever paid Canada for passage through the passage. Nor are they likely too as Canada hasn't got the fleet of ships necessary to patrol the are.

Nor is there any boom in shipping. The passages are narrow and have many uncharted rocks. It may eventually become an shipping corridor but remember that it is only open (or will be) for a SHORT period in late summer and shippers don't want any risk of disrupting their schedule from some of the remaining ice drifting to clog the channel or from running aground. So for the next couple of decades it will be a bit of a stunt to put a ship through. A gamble few will take.

“you know i know”

denver

#31653 Feb 11, 2014
Martin wrote:
<quoted text>
Go globull warming!!! Canada and Siberia need you!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31654 Feb 11, 2014
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is called 'global warming induced climate change' caused by a weaker jet stream not holding back the arctic air masses as it once did. Or you can call it WINTER. At any rate it has nothing to do with cooling of the global average surface temperature. Or you would have to include the fact that Australia is burning up with record HIGH temperatures. Now go back to sleep. Sorry to disturb your dreams.
Ah yes, AGW, it's sooooo perfect, it has an excuse for everything, sweet dreams hysterical one.

“you know i know”

denver

#31655 Feb 11, 2014
Martin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, the fabled and long sought after NW passage.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31656 Feb 11, 2014
But wait! There's rocks there, unlike every other body of water on the planet, who knew?

I think I saw a rock in my yard, there goes my lawn.
Counting chickens

Waipahu, HI

#31657 Feb 11, 2014
So how can temperature records be used to support Global Warming?

Records mean nothing.
duh

Saint Paul, MN

#31658 Feb 11, 2014
When will you stupid fux take a breath/? Climate is, is what climate does. Arrogance is absorbing a self-importance that ...oops. yeah....sorry cosmos, I 'm in your way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Portage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama's America 2 hr Tellitlikeitis 87
Right now!!!!!!! 21 hr space ace 3
Seeking mature older woman for Skype chat (Aug '15) Jan '16 loborico16 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
News Minn. Native American groups get $14.6M in grants (Aug '09) Jun '15 foundation rj 13
News Minnesota wolf hunt: Tribal lands will be off l... (Nov '12) Jan '13 rezat native 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Grand Portage, MN (Jan '12) Jan '12 Michele Girouard 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Portage Mortgages