Rash of local disasters has Gateway R...

Rash of local disasters has Gateway Red Cross busy

There are 6 comments on the WQAD story from Feb 16, 2010, titled Rash of local disasters has Gateway Red Cross busy. In it, WQAD reports that:

It's only mid-February but one local chapter of the American Red Cross has already answered the call for what should be 25 to 30 percent of a full year's worth of disasters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WQAD.

Not Convinced

United States

#1 Feb 17, 2010
The Red Cross needs more money? Not Mine.
The Red Cross does some pretty amazing things for folks in need.Unfortunately, they also have a problem with donated funds not going to what they were donated for.
9/11 and Katrina being two glaring examples of this. How much donated local money has gone into the national coffers? The Red Cross will tell you what you want to hear to get your money......I'll keep mine, thanks.
kelly grober

Cresco, IA

#2 Feb 17, 2010
i dont know who said this comment that the red cross will tell u what u want to hear but let me tell YOU something...if it wasnt for the red cross i wouldnt have a damn thing right now...i lost everything in a fire sunday feb 6 2010 and they have helped more then i could believe...so until u have had to have their help...keep ur thoughts about them to yourself!!!!!!!!!! u dont know anything about the red cross!!!!!!!!!! my name is kelly grober and i owe the red cross my life...thank u red cross for helping me and the people in my building in our time of need when we lost everything we had to our names....u have been more help then i could ever have asked for...in fact i didnt even ask fgor their help...they came to me and gave it to me...they paid my rent on my new apt in a matter of days of the fire in the old one and they gave me money to buy food and cloths....they sent me to a place to get furniture and cloths and house hold idems!!!!!! u have anything to say bad about the red cross...u can email me personally...arkcontrygirl1979 @yahoo.com.....they have been the best and i owe them everything!!!!
Johnna Barton

Cresco, IA

#3 Feb 17, 2010
Not Convinced wrote:
The Red Cross needs more money? Not Mine.
The Red Cross does some pretty amazing things for folks in need.Unfortunately, they also have a problem with donated funds not going to what they were donated for.
9/11 and Katrina being two glaring examples of this. How much donated local money has gone into the national coffers? The Red Cross will tell you what you want to hear to get your money......I'll keep mine, thanks.
I am not sure you have the correct information on the Red Cross! I think you are getting them mixed up with some other agencies that get their funding from the government.(Unlike the Red Cross) These OTHER agencies are the ones who don't step up when they are needed and in most cases, have thier funds going into the wrong hands. I truely believe that it is the Red Cross, Church organizations, volunteer agencies and everyday citizens that come together (the ones that the Government DOES NOT fund) that do the best in bad situations! I know we will NEVER forget what the Red Cross did for our daughter and they will always have our support. As a Christian I have to believe that there are more people out there that give, than receive. Thanks for listening and God Bless, JB
Not Convinced

United States

#4 Feb 18, 2010
kelly grober wrote:
i dont know who said this comment that the red cross will tell u what u want to hear but let me tell YOU something...if it wasnt for the red cross i wouldnt have a damn thing right now...i lost everything in a fire sunday feb 6 2010 and they have helped more then i could believe...so until u have had to have their help...keep ur thoughts about them to yourself!!!!!!!!!! u dont know anything about the red cross!!!!!!!!!! my name is kelly grober and i owe the red cross my life...thank u red cross for helping me and the people in my building in our time of need when we lost everything we had to our names....u have been more help then i could ever have asked for...in fact i didnt even ask fgor their help...they came to me and gave it to me...they paid my rent on my new apt in a matter of days of the fire in the old one and they gave me money to buy food and cloths....they sent me to a place to get furniture and cloths and house hold idems!!!!!! u have anything to say bad about the red cross...u can email me personally...arkcontrygirl1979 @yahoo.com.....they have been the best and i owe them everything!!!!
It is very nice that they helped you out there arkcountrygirl1979

Unfortunatly the Red Cross has a well known past for misapropriating donated funds......Most recently in Haiti. Kelly, you should educate yourself. If I email you are you going to offer to beat me up? The fact that you offered your email address suggests your not too terribly bright to start with. Your writing confirms that.

From the San Fransisco Cronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/d...

According to CNN Money, The American Red Cross had to ask for a $100 million cash infusion after its emergency fund was depleted. Today, reports are that the American Red Cross spent or committed nearly $80 million to "meet the most urgent needs of earthquake survivors."

But wait. Where did the cost of $80 million come from? Or is it that the American Red Cross received that much in donations and while all of it is committed, only part of it is spent? According to the American Red Cross' own one month report, it has raised $255 million for the Haitian Relief effort.

That's as much money as was raised to finance the upgrade construction of the Miami Dolphins' stadium for Super Bowl XLIV.

But here's where the reports gets really confusing and disturbing. While $255 million was raised, only $80 million was spent or committed, leaving $175 million in donations that's neither spent nor committed to Haiti.

Where's the $175 million the American Red Cross collected? Where's The Washington Post and The Smoking Gun to look at this?

The complete American Red Cross Haiti one month report does not help because it fails to even mention the $175 million collected but not spent or committed to Haiti.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/d...
Not Convinced

United States

#5 Feb 18, 2010
Johnna Barton wrote:
<quoted text> I am not sure you have the correct information on the Red Cross! I think you are getting them mixed up with some other agencies that get their funding from the government.(Unlike the Red Cross) These OTHER agencies are the ones who don't step up when they are needed and in most cases, have thier funds going into the wrong hands. I truely believe that it is the Red Cross, Church organizations, volunteer agencies and everyday citizens that come together (the ones that the Government DOES NOT fund) that do the best in bad situations! I know we will NEVER forget what the Red Cross did for our daughter and they will always have our support. As a Christian I have to believe that there are more people out there that give, than receive. Thanks for listening and God Bless, JB
Joanna,
As a Christian maybe you should instead support a Christian Organization like the Salvation Army.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/rec.cha...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/24/national/na...

Now, you know.
Not Convinced

United States

#6 Feb 18, 2010
kelly grober wrote:
so until u have had to have their help...keep ur thoughts about them to yourself
Sorry Kelly, I have a job and this funny little thing called insurance.......... No welfare mom here, lady.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Mound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Iowa (Dist... (Oct '10) Jan '11 Dubuquer 5

Grand Mound Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Mound Mortgages