New Grand Isle toll bridge does not a...

New Grand Isle toll bridge does not accept cash

There are 30 comments on the NOLA.com story from Jul 3, 2009, titled New Grand Isle toll bridge does not accept cash. In it, NOLA.com reports that:

A sign on the entrance to the Louisiana Highway 1 alerts drivers about delinquent tolls on the new Leeville Bridge which opens Tuesday, July7, 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NOLA.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
confused

Waterloo, Canada

#1 Jul 6, 2009
Are they going to force everyone going to Grand Isle to use this bring or do you have the option to use the bridge or old road?
redisent

Cut Off, LA

#2 Jul 7, 2009
You will not be able to pass on the Leeville bridge. They are going to take it apart.
Curious

Kaplan, LA

#3 Jul 8, 2009
I'm from the lafayette area and want a vacation. I looked on line and found Rickeys Motel.Is this a good safe place to stay.
caminda

Fayetteville, AR

#4 Jul 13, 2009
Ricky's is ok for a couple guys that are just needing a place to crash after fishing all day, however I would not reconmmend it for a family vacation. Your best bet is to rent a cabin or camp for your stay. go to www.grand-isle.com I have stayed at "reel world" nd "shrimp & cocktail" both nice. For a motel I like "watersedge"
Tori

Birmingham, AL

#5 Jul 16, 2009
Curious wrote:
I'm from the lafayette area and want a vacation. I looked on line and found Rickeys Motel.Is this a good safe place to stay.
rickey does not have a microwave or fridge in the rms. They are just basice, with no frilles.
We stay at the Bridge Side ==, the rms are still a little abovt basic, but they are family and dog freely. They have micro. and fridges in each rm, with a coffee pot. You can fix stuff, in the rm to eat. Eating Out on Grand Isle is expensive.In fact, we will be at the bridgeSide in about 2 1/2 wks, the annual family vacation.
IamMEme

Livonia, LA

#6 Jul 28, 2009
We stayed at the fourchon marina, it was okay, small room for just 2, but out of the heavy traffic, quite, and they have a store on the property...we enjoyed ourselves

Cut Off, LA

#7 Jul 31, 2009
We stay at Sand Dollar which is owned by the same people as Bridgeside and Cajun Holiday. They are very accomidating and friendly and most important clean.
IamMEme

Livonia, LA

#8 Aug 2, 2009
The TOLL BRIDGE COLLECTIONS WILL RESUME AUGUST 30th DUE TO PROBLEMS....
ken chauvin

Lafayette, LA

#9 Aug 20, 2009
I am from Lafayette, LA. Drove up in the middle of the night and took a brother in law fishing trip in Grand Isle. We saw the toll sign near Leeville. Got our money ready to pay the toll. Could not find any toll booth. Upon return to Lafayette, my party which consisted of 3 vehicles, were informed when we stopped to eat in Larose that we would receive a fine in the mail. Absolutely ridiculous. This is so typical of Louisiana Banana Republic-Had we been residents of the area we would have realized that we needed to pull over 50, 30 or 25 miles away and pay at a tool kiosk. We were not aware.
Won't be going back soon. Looks like Cocodrie is going to get our business.
Silver Fox

Florham Park, NJ

#10 Nov 21, 2009
I recieved my fine in the mail for $27.50 and still don't know where the hell the kiosk machines are.
NewOrleansMan

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Dec 29, 2009
I recieved my fine in the mail for $27.50 and still don't know where to pay next time.
If them do business like this, no one want to go there any more, Grand isle will be a die town soon.
MEAN DEAN Flewwellin

AOL

#12 Dec 29, 2009
There have been at least 2 or more information signs, plus a large electronic sign before you get to the building to pay your toll. If you missed them, you were probably drunk, or a lousy driver. Since most people in Louisiana don't read a newspaper, y'all probably missed all of the pre-opening information, including on the Internet. The DOT did a great job of PR! If you missed it - your fault. You should always check your destination out on the Internet before a trip anyway. Sheesh! Key West, Florida is considered the "Banana Republic" - not Louisiana. Sheesh! The OLD Leeville bridge has been completely dismantled! You were right about one thing - you "were not aware" or alert. Here's hoping that y'all enjoy the bright lights & entertainment of Cocodrie.
Coonism

Navarre, FL

#13 Jan 20, 2010
I used to live in Grand Isle. I absolutely love the Island and the people. The free spirit and the resilience of the Grand Isle people is an attribute for any community. I would love to come back and buy a small place to spend my Golden Years. Is Real Estate still expensive? Is Raymond Bradberry still the Governor of Grand Isle, ha ha.. What about Rosco and Bobby Santiny? Did Franky move back from N.O. How about, Arty and Brady..are they still living down there?
SIGNED..
COON
anna

Cut Off, LA

#14 Feb 15, 2010
If your looking for a good place to stay in Grand Isle, la next to the beach, and clean rooms, with full equipet kitchen, boiling shed, private screen porches, check out the Breakers Motel.
Cactus Lady

Keller, TX

#15 Aug 19, 2010
A friend and I are from TX and went to Grand Isle for the day. We were not drunk and I am not a lousy driver. We saw one sign about a toll, somewhere, like one will be coming up. As we kept going we never saw a place to pay or throw in money. So how bad do they want their toll. They don't even give you an obvious place to pay. As we had left it was mentioned the grocery store in the middle took payments---who knew, actually how are you suppose to know that. We never found the little bldg. at the end of the bridge either. Heard about a web site where you could pay. I want to pay my toll if I knew where and how. Now back in TX. Can someone tell me the site to go to pay. This place does a terrible job in helping you pay what they ask for.
Rajuncajun

Toledo, OH

#16 Aug 25, 2010
Screw the hotel theses ignorant thieving bastards who imposed this bridge on us are going to ruin tourism in grand isle the rest if the world you drive by the toll it reads your license plate they send you $2 bill here its a fine if your not from here you would never guess that plus a building and employess to collect you have to stop get out go inside and talk to a person you pay to give them money for a bridge you paid to build ripoff waste of money most ignorant system in the world.
Rajuncajun

Toledo, OH

#17 Aug 25, 2010
MEAN DEAN Flewwellin wrote:
There have been at least 2 or more information signs, plus a large electronic sign before you get to the building to pay your toll. If you missed them, you were probably drunk, or a lousy driver. Since most people in Louisiana don't read a newspaper, y'all probably missed all of the pre-opening information, including on the Internet. The DOT did a great job of PR! If Byou missed it - your fault. You should balways check your destination out on the bbInternet before a trip anyway. Sheesh! Keyb West, Florida is considered the b"Banana Republic" - not Louisiana. Sheesh!b The OLD Leeville bridge has been bcompletely dismantled! You were right babout one thing - you "were not aware" or balert. Here's hoping that y'all enjoy the bbright lights & entertainment of bCocodrie.
beleive it or not people from out of state dont get local newspaper for shitsville la nor fo they pour over the internet searching every inch of road they travel you should like the educated part of country be able to drive by unimpeded your tag is recorded they bill you $2
Fred

Metairie, LA

#18 Jul 29, 2011
I don't like the idea of electronic toll. In fact, the idea that there is now a fee to go to Grand Isle at all is repulsive. Everywhere else in this country you have an alternative no toll route to a destination. Only LA would do this. It is a tax, nothing more. The Kiosk we attempted to use would not accept payment on the days we were there. (the store in Leeville) Can't say I did not try. I had to waste 20 minutes there because the guy in front of me was trying to pay his toll too but the machine would not accept his payment either. My intention was to pay online once home but I got busy and forgot for 5 days. I paid the toll late and now I am waiting for my fine to arrive. The toll set up is bull, total bull. The state needs to find another way.
Htotrot

Baton Rouge, LA

#19 Jul 29, 2011
Do any of you read the papers? Grand Isle is not a wonderful vacation spot for the family.
snaggletoofray

United States

#20 Jul 30, 2011
the freakin road sux too firt curve two truks caint pass what fin moorons

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Isle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lost keys Jul '16 Danielle Smith 1
Carlos Marcello (Aug '09) Jun '16 Island Lady 30
Beer Assistant May '16 fisherman 1
Biggest Ho On Bayou (Mar '10) May '16 dammitboy 7
News Local hunters make Swamp People' debut (Apr '11) May '16 Swamp People Memo... 14
jobs (Feb '16) Feb '16 almighty 1
Looking for 2 coonasses (Jan '16) Jan '16 Tiny Lee 1

Grand Isle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Isle Mortgages