Offshore oil rig workers forced to go out looking for new jobs after drilling ban stalls work

Jun 17, 2010 Read more: WXMI-TV Grand Rapids 24

Mr. Charlie has seen the up and downs over the years in the oil patch off Louisiana's coast, but this could be the toughest slump of all.

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“My Commander-in-Chi ef!”

Since: Jun 07

Obama got Osama!

#1 Jun 17, 2010
President Obama just secured 100 million dollars from BP for oil rig workers affected by the moratorium on drilling as inspectors check all oil rigs for safety over the next 3 to 6 months.

“God Guns and Guts Made America”

West Michigan

#3 Jun 17, 2010
Why are the Oil rig workers Special? Why is Unemployment not good enough for them? In this economy why would they have any more rights than the rest of the American People that have lost there jobs? What difference whether you are unemployed becouse of China or the Oil Spill?
Just another 100 million dollars that the U.S. Government will scam.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#4 Jun 17, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
Why are the Oil rig workers Special? Why is Unemployment not good enough for them? In this economy why would they have any more rights than the rest of the American People that have lost there jobs? What difference whether you are unemployed becouse of China or the Oil Spill?
The oil industry is taking care of its workers.
We the People of the USA should take better care of our US unemployed. Blame the GOP for voting against continuing benefiits for "...the rest of the American People that have lost there jobs."

West Michigan

#5 Jun 17, 2010
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
We the People of the USA should take better care of our US unemployed. Blame the GOP for voting against continuing benefiits for "...the rest of the American People that have lost there jobs."
No Sir
The oil Industry is not taking care of their own, at least not of their own free will. It is being forced upon them by our Government. If this is right thing to do then Why is it not a standard for all Companies that are in the U.S.?
I have been Unemployed right now, but becouse I was Contract labor I do not get Unemployment, And yet I still have my House, My trucks and my Land, I have survived. I know people who have lived off unemployment for close to 3 years now. IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO GET OFF THEIR DUFF AND GET A LIFE. Their high dollar job is (gone)and it will not come back!
NotAMoronCarpPat Bagger

United States

#6 Jun 17, 2010
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama just secured 100 million dollars from BP for oil rig workers affected by the moratorium on drilling as inspectors check all oil rigs for safety over the next 3 to 6 months.
Patty Smelt, hopefully some of these funs will be used to cure fake marines like you.

“Proud to be an American”

Since: Oct 09

Clarksville TN

#7 Jun 17, 2010
NotAMoronCarpPatBagger wrote:
<quoted text>
Patty Smelt, hopefully some of these funs will be used to cure fake marines like you.
They will be used to support the oil rig workers.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#8 Jun 17, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
<quoted text>
No Sir
The oil Industry is not taking care of their own, at least not of their own free will. It is being forced upon them by our Government. If this is right thing to do then Why is it not a standard for all Companies that are in the U.S.?
I have been Unemployed right now, but becouse I was Contract labor I do not get Unemployment, And yet I still have my House, My trucks and my Land, I have survived. I know people who have lived off unemployment for close to 3 years now. IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO GET OFF THEIR DUFF AND GET A LIFE. Their high dollar job is (gone)and it will not come back!
Mostly true, but as you so well know, there is very little new work; few new jobs to hire on.
sue

United States

#9 Jun 17, 2010
How about working to clean up the spill? If you notice all the pictures they post of people cleaning the beaches. Do they look very latino or what. Perhaps immigration needs to take a walk on the beach.
Paul Revere

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jun 17, 2010
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You are nuts. We already pay them to sit on their azz for almost 2 years.
Paul Revere

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jun 17, 2010
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Mostly true, but as you so well know, there is very little new work; few new jobs to hire on.
There are always jobs for people with skills and money making capabilities for an employer.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#13 Jun 17, 2010
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
There are always jobs for people with skills and money making capabilities for an employer.
No, we are just now slowly coming out of a long, deep recession.
You are not Jiminy Cricket. You cannot create real jobs by wishing them.
Tiburon

Baton Rouge, LA

#14 Jun 17, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
If it had been the lazy, dumbass, obedient UAW sheeple who had been put out of work by presidential edict would you still feel the same way?

The oil field workers were actual productive members of the economy. They weren't, for example, looking for handouts from the government to save their dead-head assembly-line jobs putting lugnuts on cars.

Grow up, byotch.

West Michigan

#15 Jun 17, 2010
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we are just now slowly coming out of a long, deep recession.
You are not Jiminy Cricket. You cannot create real jobs by wishing them.
I am not so sure that we are on an upward swing, I hope you are right on that one. I guess I sould not be so quick to jump on those who choose to set on the couch. The longer they set, the more work I can find, Life is Good.
As you said, There is not enough work for everyone. I have not worked in my own field for 2 years now.
Michigan is NOT the Place to be right now.

West Michigan

#16 Jun 17, 2010
Tiburon wrote:
<quoted text>
If it had been the lazy, dumbass, obedient UAW sheeple who had been put out of work by presidential edict would you still feel the same way?
The oil field workers were actual productive members of the economy. They weren't, for example, looking for handouts from the government to save their dead-head assembly-line jobs putting lugnuts on cars.
Grow up, byotch.
Just because I am from Michigan, That means I am UAW?
Where did you come up with that one at?
The Government shuts down some of the oil Rigs so that means you they should get Pay Subsidized?
Auto industry has been on Government Welfare for a long time, I DID NOT DO IT!!!!
OH OH OH Wait A Minute, OIL INDUSTRY has bee on Government Welfare for a longer.
So your Point IS?????
For your info, I am a LINEMAN!!! I have been for over thirty years.
In Fact, I worked in LOUISIANA for 3 months after Katrina. I work in a few different towns, Slidell, Lacombe, Mandeville and many.
When you pick up your phone and it has a Dial Tone, Thank You will do just Fine.
I met a Lot of Great People down there, From the very Rich to the dirt poor, many of them had almost nothing Left, but you know what? If they thought it would help you out, They would Gladly Give you the shirt off their Back. Not even one of them was a Jerk!
You are an INSULT to your State!!!
I am a Byotch, that is the best you can do?
Have a good Day!!!!
Tiburon

Baton Rouge, LA

#17 Jun 18, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
<quoted text>
The Government shuts down some of the oil Rigs so that means you they should get Pay Subsidized?
Auto industry has been on Government Welfare for a long time, I DID NOT DO IT!!!!
OH OH OH Wait A Minute, OIL INDUSTRY has bee on Government Welfare for a longer.
So your Point IS?????
In Fact, I worked in LOUISIANA for 3 months after Katrina. I work in a few different towns, Slidell, Lacombe, Mandeville and many.
When you pick up your phone and it has a Dial Tone, Thank You will do just Fine.
I met a Lot of Great People down there, From the very Rich to the dirt poor, many of them had almost nothing Left, but you know what? If they thought it would help you out, They would Gladly Give you the shirt off their Back. Not even one of them was a Jerk!
Have a good Day!!!!
You're right. I should've said you're a whiney little byotch.

YOU came here bitching about the oil field workers who are being put out of work- not by market conditions but by Presidential decree (from the same president that bailed the great state of Michigan out by filling the hole it had dug itself into with taxpayer money)- getting PART of their pay back from- wait for it- BP. Not the federal gov't braniac- BP.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#18 Jun 18, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not so sure that we are on an upward swing, I hope you are right on that one. I guess I sould not be so quick to jump on those who choose to set on the couch. The longer they set, the more work I can find, Life is Good.
As you said, There is not enough work for everyone. I have not worked in my own field for 2 years now.
Michigan is NOT the Place to be right now.
I am happty to be working, but have lost more tahn half of my co-workers.

I have many friends and acquaintances who lost jobs over the last 6-8 years; and prospects have been grim.

We are on an 'upswing,' but many US jobs have been off-shored, which not only removes that job; but the other jobs that wealth would generate.

While the economy is on a slow upswing, prosperity is still a distant prospect. Whether you can admit it, or even know it, one of the prime actions of the previous administration was to destroy the American middle-class.

If you take a tep back, to see the forest for thr trees, you can see that most of the unemployed are not 'sitting o the couch.' I know people who are actively looking for any jobs that just aren't there.

I hope that you find good work, in your chosen field. I hope we all see a return of prosperity, which is different from economic recovery.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#19 Jun 18, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
<quoted text>
So your Point IS?????
Have a good Day!!!!
Blue, orange, green, brown, slate.

And I am a switchman, and have been for forty years.

West Michigan

#20 Jun 18, 2010
Tiburon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I should've said you're a whiney little byotch.
YOU came here bitching about the oil field workers who are being put out of work- not by market conditions but by Presidential decree (from the same president that bailed the great state of Michigan out by filling the hole it had dug itself into with taxpayer money)- getting PART of their pay back from- wait for it- BP. Not the federal gov't braniac- BP.
Good Morning Tiburon
Well let start here, I am sure that over half of the People who are Unemployed in America are unemployed today because of choices that the Federal Government has made. CAFTA, NAFTA, do they ring a bell?
I have never seen any numbers to back this up, but I am sure I am in the ballpark on that.
America can not compete with $2.00 an workers in these third word Countries.
If the oil rig workers are entitled to wages? Again I will ask, than why are the rest of the unemployed American Workers not entitled to the same thing?
Well you say that BP will foot the bill on these wages, only time will tell on that one.
But Here is the bottom line on that! BP is doing this not of their own free will, They are doing this because of a Federal Government Mandate.
Have a Good day

West Michigan

#21 Jun 18, 2010
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I am happty to be working, but have lost more tahn half of my co-workers.
I have many friends and acquaintances who lost jobs over the last 6-8 years; and prospects have been grim.
We are on an 'upswing,' but many US jobs have been off-shored, which not only removes that job; but the other jobs that wealth would generate.
While the economy is on a slow upswing, prosperity is still a distant prospect. Whether you can admit it, or even know it, one of the prime actions of the previous administration was to destroy the American middle-class.
If you take a tep back, to see the forest for thr trees, you can see that most of the unemployed are not 'sitting o the couch.' I know people who are actively looking for any jobs that just aren't there.
I hope that you find good work, in your chosen field. I hope we all see a return of prosperity, which is different from economic recovery.
Good Morning Mr_Bill
I hope that you are right. We need some good news.
You say you think that the destruction of the middle class started with Bush. He surly was part of the problem, he did his best to make it happen. I think it started a long time before that, The first Bush is the one that come up with NAFTA, Clinton singed it and made it law. And none of them have ever stood up for the American Worker and stopped the Invasion of illegal workers from other Countries.
Michigan has been hit very hard by this down turn in our economy, and to many of our once proud work force have just plain given up. Many have left the state looking for work.
Thank you Mr. Bill for your insight.
Life can, and I hope will get better, it is up to us, We The People to make the right Choices.
Have a Good Day
Paul Revere

Fishers, IN

#22 Jun 18, 2010
K R ZACK wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning Tiburon
Well let start here, I am sure that over half of the People who are Unemployed in America are unemployed today because of choices that the Federal Government has made. CAFTA, NAFTA, do they ring a bell?
I have never seen any numbers to back this up, but I am sure I am in the ballpark on that.
America can not compete with $2.00 an workers in these third word Countries.
If the oil rig workers are entitled to wages? Again I will ask, than why are the rest of the unemployed American Workers not entitled to the same thing?
Well you say that BP will foot the bill on these wages, only time will tell on that one.
But Here is the bottom line on that! BP is doing this not of their own free will, They are doing this because of a Federal Government Mandate.
Have a Good day
First off, the oil workers will have valid claims against BP and the US Govt. The US Govt. ceased operations during this period on all the rigs. Second the unemployed are already getting handouts and for way too long. On top of that they are not even paying for it , the employer pays the unemployment. I am so sick of hearing so much BS about the unemployed. Hell half of them tell you they will not work for anything even withing a couple of bucks more per hour than their unemployment benefits. That right there tells me they are lazy bums.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Isle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Westwego ticketing to speed up (Oct '07) Apr 10 wes 10
News "Cold stunned" sea turtles rehabilitated, released Jan '15 Super Bowl Weekend 1
Carlos Marcello (Aug '09) Jan '15 Hightide 24
News LA1 Bridge Toll Violations In The Mail (Jan '10) Aug '14 Joseph A Achord 6
Good Eats In Grand Isle At The Tarpon Rodeo (Jul '14) Jul '14 jim thompson 1
I wanna go fishin! (May '14) May '14 frankiethegirl 1
Stolen Outboard (Jan '14) Jan '14 MCD 2
More from around the web

Grand Isle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]