Aiming To Eliminate The Grand Island ...

Aiming To Eliminate The Grand Island Tolls.

There are 39 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Apr 1, 2008, titled Aiming To Eliminate The Grand Island Tolls.. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A bill which seeks the transfer of jurisdiction of the I-190 from the Thruway Authority to the State Department of Transportation, which could potentially get rid of the tolls at the Grand Island Bridges, took ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bill

Glendale, AZ

#1 Apr 1, 2008
I dont blame residents of WNY for not wanting to pay tolls.

But.....Who will end up paying for ALL the repairs for these old bridges and roads?

I am sure anyone smart enough to read can answer that question!

The tolls help pay to maintain these bridges and roads. The taxpayers will pay a heavy price for this.
laura

Windham, ME

#2 Apr 1, 2008
B.S.
USE2LIVINB-LO

Mamaroneck, NY

#3 Apr 1, 2008
WNYer's should feel very lucky to be paying ONLY $.75 to cross the Grand Island Bridges. Here in NYC, it's $8-$10 (that's right, dollars) EVERY TIME you cross a bridge or go through a tunnel. If what's going on back there is robbery, what happens here is a felony! I'd love to pay $.75 again!!
Buffalo Res

Littleton, NH

#4 Apr 1, 2008
Finally, someone is listening. One down 2 to go.
Olean Tony

AOL

#5 Apr 2, 2008
Another example of an unfair tax. What about the majority of us stste residents who rarely, if ever, go to Grand Island? Now we'll be paying for it too? I'll bet Russ Thompson sees no problem with the smokers in this state (12% of the population), generating billions in tax revenues either. It's no wonder people are leaving here in droves.
Olean Tony

AOL

#6 Apr 2, 2008
As things now stand, EVERYONE who uses the Grand Island bridges pays a toll, including out of state residents and even foreigners. Under this new proposal, the out of staters and foreigners would not pay, but ALL residents of New York would. Explain to me, Russ, how that is fair.
RONALD

Brookfield, WI

#7 Apr 2, 2008
FIRST OF ALL,
NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY A TOLL TO GET HOME. I DON'T CARE WHERE IT IS.
SECOND..
IF THE E-Z PASS CAN BE SET AT DIFFERENT LEVELS FOR RESIDENTS AND NON-RESIDENTS, THEN EVERYBODY THAT IS A RESIDENT OF GRAND ISLAND SHOULD HAVE THEIR PASS SET AT ZERO IMMEDIATELY.
THIRD...
FIRE ALL THE LYING DEAD BEATS IN THE THRUWAY AUTHORITY THAT HAVE BEEN MILKING THE SYSTEM, VOTING THEMSELVES RAISES AND LIFE TIME BENEFITS.
FOURTH...
QUIT GIVING REPAIR CONTRACTS TO OUT OF STATE COMPANIES, WE NEED TO EMPLOY NEW YORK STATE RESIDENTS.
FIFTH..
THE NEXT TIME THEY PAVE THE BRIDGE DECKS, DO IT IN WARMER WEATHER. THE LAST TIME THEY WERE POURING CONCRETE IN 40 DEGREE TERMPERATURES WHICH IS STUPID TO SAY THE LEAST.
A new islander

United States

#8 Apr 2, 2008
As a resident of GI I DO NOT WANT the tolls removed. Traffic will increase 10 fold. The bridges according to previous articles run at capacity during peak travel times as is. Who will pay for a new bridge when one is needed. Mr. Thompson should think that through first.
Rick

Sardinia, NY

#9 Apr 2, 2008
This nonsense has been going on for 30 years! tax, tax toll, toll and where the hell does the money go? Considering the roads we have to drive on in Erie county are like shit. Lets elect people like Dale Volker (do nothing hack) so we can continue paying what amounts to a stately unconstitutional tax! Lets get that Paladino guy on this one and sue these morons again to abolish these unfair tolls!
Boris

Littleton, NH

#10 Apr 2, 2008
A new islander,
Apparently, you are in the minority. I too live on this island and am sick of the toll back-ups everyday, the smog generated at the tolls and the minor traffic accidents.
The removal of the tolls will generate more income as people will be able to shop at businesses on the island, through the State Police
ticketing more wayward drivers and will alieviate the truck congestion in the towns of Tonawanda, North Tonawanda, Wheatfield, Amherst, and Streets in Niagara Falls, as well as generate more tourist dollars.
Just because YOU don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't good for the community as a whole.
FUNNYGUY

Lewiston, ME

#11 Apr 2, 2008
WHEN THE TOLL GATES AT BRECENRIDGE & BLACKROCK WERE ELIMINATED THE TOLL AT THE BRIDGE WENT UP FROM 50 TO 75 THEN JUST A SHORT TIME LATER IT WENT TO A DOLLAR THE THRUWAY AUTHORITY SCREWED THE MOTORISTS it was a real class double taxation the authority people should be removed by the govenor & put in someone that is reasonable the directors are a patronage appointment ( uhhh ) slush job big wages for doing nothing but B S the people
Frank

Buffalo, NY

#12 Apr 2, 2008
The toll is $1.00. It shouldn't be anythign for residents or regular commuters. The GI tolls help pay for repairs, that is logical. But why eliminate every toll in Erie County (beyond 90) and raise only one on Graqnd Island...is it because their 20,000 residents aren't a solid voting block???

I support highway tolls when fair and reasonable. The "barriers" at Ogdon and Ferry used to cut off drivers only going TOWARD downtown...I supported their elimination. As for Grand Island, we don't need that to be the onyl form of highway income...it should be lessened to equate to the rest of the county...
A new islander

United States

#13 Apr 2, 2008
Boris wrote:
A new islander,
Apparently, you are in the minority. I too live on this island and am sick of the toll back-ups everyday, the smog generated at the tolls and the minor traffic accidents.
The removal of the tolls will generate more income as people will be able to shop at businesses on the island, through the State Police
ticketing more wayward drivers and will alieviate the truck congestion in the towns of Tonawanda, North Tonawanda, Wheatfield, Amherst, and Streets in Niagara Falls, as well as generate more tourist dollars.
Just because YOU don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't good for the community as a whole.
Wow, you do not have to be rude. I am just concerned as someone who has to drive over the bridge everyday what the long-term ramifications are to a toll removal would be. It is not about the money as us residents only pay $.09 per. I feel in love with GI as having a small town feel, I would hate to see that go away with more traffic, strip malls, increase in crime, and property values drops. It just seems like the whole removal plans is great for a right now fix.
It is funny, any long term islander I have ever met is against the toll removal as well.
Hank

United States

#14 Apr 2, 2008
Where have the Einsteins of our local politicians been my whole lifetime? This bill could've been done in the 70's!! or the any other time...kudos to Dale Volker, Queen Slaughter, Hoyt ...i'll bet they will be there when they bring down the toll booths at GI Bridge.
to the new islander...only thinking of yourself and your own little mind set...thats what keeps buffalo in the dark ages..WHATS IN IT FOR ME!!!
wtf

Buffalo, NY

#15 Apr 2, 2008
A new islander wrote:
As a resident of GI I DO NOT WANT the tolls removed. Traffic will increase 10 fold. The bridges according to previous articles run at capacity during peak travel times as is. Who will pay for a new bridge when one is needed. Mr. Thompson should think that through first.
I agree.

i dont live on GI but when i go there for recreational oppoutunities and stuff I feel its the bridge and the toll that keeps a huge chunk of riff raff out of the area.

who cares if it costs 75cents to get onto the island? if there is a segment of the population who will avoid going to GI because of the toll its probably the sort of people that u wouldnt want there anyway.

maybe get an e-z pass for GI residents or something.
A new islander

United States

#16 Apr 2, 2008
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
i dont live on GI but when i go there for recreational oppoutunities and stuff I feel its the bridge and the toll that keeps a huge chunk of riff raff out of the area.
who cares if it costs 75cents to get onto the island? if there is a segment of the population who will avoid going to GI because of the toll its probably the sort of people that u wouldnt want there anyway.
maybe get an e-z pass for GI residents or something.
Resident of GI would never complain about the bridge toll. We only pay 9 cents each bridge toll through our EZ pass
Bookey the Elephant

Alfred Station, NY

#17 Apr 2, 2008
Lets get rid of the bridges and have a ferry boat!
So Sad

Farmington, MI

#18 Apr 2, 2008
A new islander wrote:
<quoted text>
Resident of GI would never complain about the bridge toll. We only pay 9 cents each bridge toll through our EZ pass
As much as I do NOT want to agree with you, I do.. I do not want to pay the 75 cent toll, but I agree with you it does seem to keep some of the "problem makers" off the island. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.
So Sad

Farmington, MI

#19 Apr 2, 2008
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
i dont live on GI but when i go there for recreational oppoutunities and stuff I feel its the bridge and the toll that keeps a huge chunk of riff raff out of the area.
who cares if it costs 75cents to get onto the island? if there is a segment of the population who will avoid going to GI because of the toll its probably the sort of people that u wouldnt want there anyway.
maybe get an e-z pass for GI residents or something.
As much as I do NOT want to agree with you, I do.. I do not want to pay the 75 cent toll, but I agree with you it does seem to keep some of the "problem makers" off the island. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.
So sad

Buffalo, NY

#20 Apr 2, 2008
I don't mind paying tolls, but the tolls at the bridges were set in place for a certain reason. They were put there to pay off a certain amount of debt that has actually been paid off for a good amount of years now. I hate having to pay to get home and having friends/family to pay just to come over. They need to come down.
Bill wrote:
I dont blame residents of WNY for not wanting to pay tolls.
But.....Who will end up paying for ALL the repairs for these old bridges and roads?
I am sure anyone smart enough to read can answer that question!
The tolls help pay to maintain these bridges and roads. The taxpayers will pay a heavy price for this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Dwight Frye 20,634
Trump is just stupid white trash 5 hr punK 11
Do black lives really matter? 5 hr punK 60
Why do blacks have so many babies? 13 hr Homeboynot 4
Whereabouts? 16 hr Kohlrabi 4
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Tue rnormanii 26
News Best places for breakfast in Buffalo: 5 WNY pla... (Dec '15) Sep 26 Kilhoffer Street ... 4

Grand Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages