Fight to tear down Grand Island tolls...

Fight to tear down Grand Island tolls may take detour

There are 42 comments on the WIVB Buffalo story from Aug 1, 2008, titled Fight to tear down Grand Island tolls may take detour. In it, WIVB Buffalo reports that:

Just about everything could be on the table as New York tries to close a growing budget gap.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB Buffalo.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gary G

Buffalo, NY

#1 Aug 1, 2008
Decreased government spending and less government in general are the keys to never ending budget problems.Not putting toll booths up everywhere and squeezing more money out of our pockets.These toll booths will never come down as long as we have Idiots running the state.But every November these same politicians win their seats back.I don't get it at all.Real change starts in the voting booth at home.Not in Albany where it's the same old hot air blowing out of the same old mouths.
UNKNOWN NAME

Ephrata, PA

#2 Aug 1, 2008
I agree with you Gary G.. There is no reason to have these Toll Booths up!! It's taking up your
gas every time you stop for the Toll Booth and the lines of cars,trucks,Semi-Trailers so you could be setting there for sometime until it's your turn to
pay for your toll. What with the cost of gas now-
a-days it's taking it's toll on everyone!! There is NO reason for the gas prices be up so HIGH and keeps
climbing. All the Government wants is more money from each and every person so they can cover up their budget problems and if they would stop spending the money foolish they wouldn't have this problem. Why not stop everyone who works for the Government for using Government Cars to home and work and whereever they go,and recall all the CellPhones every person have. If they want CellPhones then they can just go get there own
CellPhones in their name and pay for it out of their own pockets. That ways the Government won't have such a BIG Bill to pay and it sure would help the Budget out. Also, the Government could stop all these Fancy Dinners or Lunch at the Restuarant. If they want to go out to eat then they can pay for it out of their own pockets as they get a lum sum paycheck. Well, let all people of New York State stand up to our Government and show them that they need to listen to us for a change. That is my Opinion!!
Live Somewhere In Chautauqua County
Bill H

Buffalo, NY

#3 Aug 1, 2008
Tolls are a dedicated source of funding for infrastructure and are widespread thruuout the country with even those few states without realizing the need.
The Thruway Authority does a better job than the DOT could ever imagine when it comes to road maintenance.
Keep the tolls. Take another route if you don't want to pay, no one is holding a gun to your head.
john

Niagara Falls, NY

#4 Aug 1, 2008
In keeping with tradition the tolls should be dramatically increased. N.Y. needs the money.
MikeNold

Linthicum Heights, MD

#5 Aug 1, 2008
I think they should eliminate all tolls in New York State. Stop driving people away(notice the pun).
Did ya notice

Rochester, NY

#6 Aug 2, 2008
Every time there's a toll increase of 10% on the Thruway, they raise the tolls on Grand Island by 25 cents or more. The reasoning is "raising the toll by a dime is impractical". HOWEVER, instead of skipping the increase to every other time (to even things out) they raise the Grand Island tolls by 25 cents EVERY time. To make things worse, the media says NOTHING.
Mark from Amherst

United States

#7 Aug 2, 2008
It's been said by me before, someone has to foot the bill of all the expenses to operate Interstate 190. Here something to ponder, have the residents of Cheektowaga, Buffalo, Tonawanda, Grand Island and Niagara Falls pay the expenses. Afterall, it does run through their cities and towns. I still think the user fee (A.K.A. tolls) idea that is currently in place is the best way to handle the cost associated with maintaining I-190.
GI man

Buffalo, NY

#8 Aug 2, 2008
Of course they should come down as was promised by the original deal. Politicians that come up with these temporary taxes and tolls should be held accountable. There grand children should be jailed for there lies. Tolls only contribute to polution and fuel waste and slow the flow of trafic.
Wally Boldt

Canada

#9 Aug 3, 2008
Goverments have money,its just the way they spend it!
funnyguy

Lewiston, ME

#10 Aug 3, 2008
AS I remember it the bridges were built as a bonding contract & the tolls were to be removed its just like the brecenbridge & ogden toll booths why is the tolls still being taken ??? ahhh its just plain highway robery & not one legeslator will do a thing about it yea OLE GEORGE MAZIARS say so but its just talk If they would reduce to a quarter it would cover the cost of upkeeep as there is plenty of traffic using them I returned my EZ pass as they charged me full price plus a G I toll for driving on the thru way
Buffaloboymike

Buffalo, NY

#11 Aug 3, 2008
They should come down tomorrow.$1 to go to Grand Island? what a joke. They hold the people of this area at bay, there is no good reason for a toll to be there that should have been torn down long ago anyway. IT was supposed to have been a temporary toll to begin with so here they are charging more for it.
It shouldn't be the burden of Grand Island to bail out the idiots that run this state.
www.Buffaloboymike.com
Buffaloboymike

Buffalo, NY

#12 Aug 3, 2008
Bill H wrote:
Tolls are a dedicated source of funding for infrastructure and are widespread thruuout the country with even those few states without realizing the need.
The Thruway Authority does a better job than the DOT could ever imagine when it comes to road maintenance.
Keep the tolls. Take another route if you don't want to pay, no one is holding a gun to your head.
Fine Bill then you live on Grand Island or commute the long way around the Island.
PE Teacher

North Tonawanda, NY

#13 Aug 3, 2008
Mark from Amherst wrote:
It's been said by me before, someone has to foot the bill of all the expenses to operate Interstate 190. Here something to ponder, have the residents of Cheektowaga, Buffalo, Tonawanda, Grand Island and Niagara Falls pay the expenses. Afterall, it does run through their cities and towns. I still think the user fee (A.K.A. tolls) idea that is currently in place is the best way to handle the cost associated with maintaining I-190.
How about this instead, all you Amhersters can pay for the upkeep of the Youngmann, afterall it runs through your town, right?
clone benson

Bryan, OH

#14 Aug 3, 2008
lets tear down all toll roads in america, lets get this economy going, turn it over state goverments,hheehh,it will never lose it purpose, it will also save fuel cost, hehehheheheehe
Commuter

Plainville, MA

#15 Aug 4, 2008
Ok folks, enough whining. If you don't want to pay he toll, take an alterante route. It's not that hard or time consuming. I'v been doing it for years. As for G.I. residents, you bought a house in your hoity toity neighborhood knowing there was a toll, so get over it and yourselves. You should have bought a house somewhere else if you didn't want to pay it.
PE Teacher

North Tonawanda, NY

#16 Aug 4, 2008
Commuter wrote:
Ok folks, enough whining. If you don't want to pay he toll, take an alterante route. It's not that hard or time consuming. I'v been doing it for years. As for G.I. residents, you bought a house in your hoity toity neighborhood knowing there was a toll, so get over it and yourselves. You should have bought a house somewhere else if you didn't want to pay it.
Grand Island...hoity toity??? And this coming from a guy in Orchard Park. Let's compare tax bills there Jim Kelly. As for the toll, the same amount from my toll charge goes to OP as GI. If all the toll money stayed in GI then you'd have a point but it doesn't so get rid of them altogether.
Driving around GI

Buffalo, NY

#17 Aug 5, 2008
Ok all you GI residents. Why do you get to pay less than a commuter? Does your vehicle weigh less? All the GI residents knew that there was a toll bridge when they bought their homes.

Why does an average citizen have to pay penalties if they donít use their EZ pass on a regular basis? The penalties are more that paying the full toll.

I have traveled around GI since 1985, thatís when EZ pass tried to charge me all sorts of $$ in fines and penalties for using a tunnel in NY city. I was at work at the time of the infraction. I still have the pile of letters and faxes I sent to clear my account. Not to mention all the time and effort that I wasted.

Take them down!!! Or at least make it fair to all drivers (Cars, not Commercial trucks) and charge the same amount across the board.
Did ya notice

Rochester, NY

#18 Aug 5, 2008
Driving around GI wrote:
Ok all you GI residents. Why do you get to pay less than a commuter? Does your vehicle weigh less? All the GI residents knew that there was a toll bridge when they bought their homes.
Why does an average citizen have to pay penalties if they donít use their EZ pass on a regular basis? The penalties are more that paying the full toll.
I have traveled around GI since 1985, thatís when EZ pass tried to charge me all sorts of $$ in fines and penalties for using a tunnel in NY city. I was at work at the time of the infraction. I still have the pile of letters and faxes I sent to clear my account. Not to mention all the time and effort that I wasted.
Take them down!!! Or at least make it fair to all drivers (Cars, not Commercial trucks) and charge the same amount across the board.
They pay less because they live there and have NO CHOICE but to use the bridges. If you work in Buffalo and travel to Niagara Falls, you can drive around Grand Island. No Problem.

Also, a significant number of Grand Island homeowners were led to believe that the tolls were coming down once the bridges were paid for...
Driving around GI

Buffalo, NY

#19 Aug 5, 2008
Did ya notice wrote:
<quoted text>
They pay less because they live there and have NO CHOICE but to use the bridges. If you work in Buffalo and travel to Niagara Falls, you can drive around Grand Island. No Problem.
Also, a significant number of Grand Island homeowners were led to believe that the tolls were coming down once the bridges were paid for...
Again I state, They knew the tolls were there when they bought their houses. Charge everyone the same. Does more of GI property taxes go to the upkeep of the bridges? I don't think so.

Charge the same or Take them DOWN.
PE Teacher

North Tonawanda, NY

#20 Aug 5, 2008
Driving around GI wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I state, They knew the tolls were there when they bought their houses. Charge everyone the same. Does more of GI property taxes go to the upkeep of the bridges? I don't think so.
Charge the same or Take them DOWN.
Then you would have an empty Island as no one would live there. Why do communities charge less for their residents to use their golf courses, how come I have to pay a higher fee to play at Sheridan or Brighton or for that matter Grover Cleveland, Glen Oak or Audubon or use the T of T aquatic center or Lincoln and Brighton Ice Arenas? Your point is w/o merit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why does the Buffalo accent sound so dumb? 1 hr factcheck 15
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr anybody anywhere 21,272
Social media vs. the Past - Don McSwan (Apr '12) Mon Recon 10
Tim demler (May '17) Mon Reply 50
What would happen? Mon RJ Lifton 2
News Bigfoot believers gather at New York retreat, s... (Oct '15) Sun Carry ON 6
News Grand Island Lions hold successful 59th annual ... Aug '17 Robert J Miskines 1

Grand Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages