Status of WNY Bridges

There are 17 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Aug 3, 2007, titled Status of WNY Bridges. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

In light of the Minneapolis bridge collapse, many are questioning bridges in our own area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Tom

Buffalo, NY

#1 Aug 3, 2007
Naturaly there is no money avaiable in this country for bridge repair,because most of our tax money goes to fund our politicians & their friends for helping them to become richer. It is time for this country to remember how & why the U.S. was created. Or maybe it is time for a new revolution. We are supposed to be a free country & here to help all live a better, safer life. As it turns out, the average person works hard all of their life to help others grow rich.
crusty

North Tonawanda, NY

#2 Aug 3, 2007
i agree, take a look at the grand island bridge, people have to pay to go to work and back.... to travel over a mess of an outdated bridge

Since: Jun 07

Lancaster, NY

#3 Aug 3, 2007
AGAIN, we have OVERREACTION. Both by the public and the story hungry media. CNN listed all of the known bridge collapses since 1960. Do you know how many there have been? Six. In almost 50 years, and with all of the thousands of bridges in the country, 6 have collapsed. And of those six only ONE was from structual deficiencies. The rest were from earthquakes and extreme weather. So a bridge collapses in Minneapolis and now everyone is SUDDENLY outraged and freaks out about the condition of every single bridge. Look, that bridge collapse is a tragedy, and yes it is important to be sure that our public transportation routes are structually sound, but for God's sake why do we as a people only suddenly get so concerned about it when a high-profile tragedy like this happens? And believe me, we'll see investigative reports like "How Safe Is The Bridge YOU Cross On A Daily Basis?" for about as long as the media can find new angles and keep this tragedy fresh, and then they'll drop off and no one will care about bridges anymore. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Im A Great Mom

AOL

#4 Aug 3, 2007
Michael from Lackawanna wrote:
AGAIN, we have OVERREACTION. Both by the public and the story hungry media. CNN listed all of the known bridge collapses since 1960. Do you know how many there have been? Six. In almost 50 years, and with all of the thousands of bridges in the country, 6 have collapsed. And of those six only ONE was from structual deficiencies. The rest were from earthquakes and extreme weather. So a bridge collapses in Minneapolis and now everyone is SUDDENLY outraged and freaks out about the condition of every single bridge. Look, that bridge collapse is a tragedy, and yes it is important to be sure that our public transportation routes are structually sound, but for God's sake why do we as a people only suddenly get so concerned about it when a high-profile tragedy like this happens? And believe me, we'll see investigative reports like "How Safe Is The Bridge YOU Cross On A Daily Basis?" for about as long as the media can find new angles and keep this tragedy fresh, and then they'll drop off and no one will care about bridges anymore. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Well said. Maybe someone should start worring about pot holes and road hazords like they said they would and still i have only saw 2 fixed on a 5 mile strech in Concord, ny.
not in my back yard

AOL

#5 Aug 4, 2007
Tom & Michael from Lackawanna u are 100% right.We have to sit back & wait until the next bridge comes down.We cant afford to fix anything because NY is broke.Unless your a politican.Look what u pay in gas taxes.In PA I paid 2.79 a gallon.With a extra 24 cents a gallon u could fix money bridges.You know the roads are not being fix.Wake up people.
marsha

United States

#6 Aug 4, 2007
what was the 2006 status of the 6 bridges in wny? what did the 2006 notate on that status report?
bob stone

Fort Myers, FL

#7 Aug 4, 2007
well all the fuel tax we pay was to repair roads and bridges. well thats our worthless govt all bush and his cronnies want is to fight a worthless war
Frank

AOL

#8 Aug 5, 2007
So I have a question, what on earth have they been doing with the money we pay on tolls for using the Grand Island bridges? We are constantly being told it is for bridge maintenance. Pretty poor job; those responsible should be fired.
Emily -Lancaster

Buffalo, NY

#9 Aug 5, 2007
Actually people aren't OVER REACTING, sorry you haven't noticed but many citizens have been concerned about our NY STATE bridges for years now. This is the first time where politicians have to address the problems, and can't brush off the situation.
We can't control natural disasters, but man made bridges?? That is something where we can PREVENT TRAGITY instead of waiting for it to happen then reacting. This is a issue of public safety, not money. Unfortunately this tragedy has shined a light on our government officials ignoring a problem and not budgeting correctly to get these bridges fixed.
And Sir you are a better person than I, to put all your trust in structures that were built 50 or more years ago. I didn't know that we figured out how to build everlasting structures. Last time I checked even buildings get condemned or fail. And with the weather that NY has, that means some of these bridges have more then 50 harsh winters under their belts. So yes we are lucky they are functioning, but we need to take preventative measures not reactive measures with these bridges.
Aaron

Buffalo, NY

#10 Aug 5, 2007
Considering this is one of so many bridges of one design & age which has experienced such use over so many years. It is common sense that other bridges are close same result. To prevent such damage again, a total rebuilding of our highway system is required immediately.
Jason

Buffalo, NY

#11 Aug 5, 2007
I doubt anything important will be done. One reason, there were not enough people killed.

Look at WTC, 3,000+ fatalities & it has taken over 5 years to start rebuilding. Here you have just a simple bridge with less than a dozen killed. Do you really think this will cause anything positive to happen?

Since: Jun 07

Wilson, NY

#12 Aug 6, 2007
You're right. The media will use this and the public will eat it right up.
2X-A Ron

Ligonier, PA

#13 Aug 6, 2007
Why does something bad have to happen before people really take notice? Why cant everyone just do their jobs the right way and we wouldnt have these problems!
GIslander

United States

#14 Aug 6, 2007
Frank wrote:
So I have a question, what on earth have they been doing with the money we pay on tolls for using the Grand Island bridges? We are constantly being told it is for bridge maintenance. Pretty poor job; those responsible should be fired.
That's something that I would answered as well. I know that some of the money went to painting the bridges that lovely blue color. But where is the rest?
bob stone

Fort Myers, FL

#15 Aug 6, 2007
they gave me the money having good time. bush lips said it was okay
bill

Buffalo, NY

#16 Aug 6, 2007
don't drive over them if you are worried
Bookey the Elephant

Buffalo, NY

#17 Aug 6, 2007
thank god the bridges are OK, now I can get those peanut deliveries on time!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
belmont management co. 1 hr pig legs2 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Bam 19,928
All Liberals Are Sociopaths (Jun '13) 4 hr Ibid 157
Walking through the mall... 7 hr Joe Guy 1
is Nalina Shapiro fat? (Dec '12) 7 hr Joe Guy 74
any girl phonesex with this guy? (Mar '13) 13 hr Grammy 83
Memorial Day 18 hr NAM VET BIKER 4
More from around the web

Grand Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]